We are 224,985 members in 82 forums discussing 158,057 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Arimidex - Coping with the SE's

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications. Note: Please remember that there are good experiences and bad with ALL treatments and this is a safe place to share YOUR experience, not to be influenced or influence others.

Posted on: Jul 28, 2010 12:22PM - edited Nov 15, 2017 01:01PM by Moderators

Lowrider54 wrote:

Not just for Arimidex but all the Hormonals - se's are so similar so coping with them should also be similar and the remedies offered should work for any of the Hormonals - don't go away, read on if you are taking any of the hormonal treatments....

For those of us who are taking this potentially life saving/life prolonging drug, it does not come without side effects. There are some very lucky folks who don't have any...GREAT! But for those that do, lets share how we cope with the hot flashes and night sweats and stuff.

The 'Arimidex' thread covers more than just side effects and coping - there is much debate over it going generic and the effectiveness of its use. I am putting this up in hopes that new users can find the answers concerning the se's easily. Of course, please visit the Arimidex thread for more information concerning the statistics, research and controversy surrounding many of the AL's and new treatments we are being offered today.

Treatment is always a personal choice - if Arimidex is your choice, these kind folks can help you manage some of the issues that some with taking it.

I elected to take a low dose of Effexsor to aide with the hot flashes and night sweats. It worked very nicely for me. Water intake and walking assists with the possible joint pain. I eliminated as much gluten from my diet as I could (that stuff is in everything....lol) and did not experience weight gain - I did experience 'weight re-distribution' however - it seems to go to the tummy. I haven't found a good solution for that yet. Cool

Good Luck All!

Hugs

LowRider

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site on Arimidex: Benefits, Side Effects and More

Smile...it will make people wonder what you are up to...Initial dx 04/99 - CMF; 9/2009 bone mets Arimidex; 6/2010 Faslodex/Xgeva; 8/2011; abdominal wall invaded, ER/PR flipped to TN, Abraxane/Avastin//Xgeva 09/02/2011; 11/2011Xeloda/Avastin/Xgeva. Dx 9/16/2009, Stage IV, 5/25 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 277 of 283 (8,484 results)

Posts 8281 - 8310 (8,484 total)

Aug 22, 2016 05:36AM starwoman wrote:

509337 - I developed achilles tendon pain and swelling about 18 months into anastrozole and have been swopping manufacturers, including trying expensive brand-name arimidex, for the last few months and it has subsided somewhat. However, a bone scan in April to rule out mets, revealed bilateral rotator cuff tendon damage (along with severe degenerative changes to hip) which would explain the pain I've been feeling down both my upper arms, and around my right elbow which does not seem to have reduced with changing manufacturers.

Dx 8/2011, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes Surgery 2/13/2012 Mastectomy: Left Dx 1/2014, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/21/2014 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 4/9/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 22, 2016 08:56AM - edited Aug 22, 2016 09:00AM by Lemint

Wow Patoo, 509337, exercise and starwoman, these drugs really do mess with us. I'm taking a break from it until I see doc in 2.5 weeks. I'll try a different manufacturer when I run out if I try it again. Thanks for all your Insight.

Dx 7/21/2015, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR- Dx 8/18/2015, IDC: Mucinous, Left, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 12/3/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/3/2015 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 12/3/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 4/11/2016

Aug 22, 2016 06:38PM patoo wrote:

If anyone tries the name brand Arimidex I believe it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper if you go directly to the manufacturer, AstraZeneca, and not your local pharmacy. Good luck everyone. (Are we having fun yet?)

"for we live by faith, not by sight" - 2 Corinthians 5:7 Dx 10/24/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 2/11/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 4/1/2009 Breast Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel

Aug 25, 2016 11:17AM jpBCfree wrote:

I and a 52 yo post menopausal woman and nthis summer I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Type II DCIS with Oncotype 14 as score and had double mastectomy (irregular cells in other spots of both breast). Don't need radiation since removed breast tissue + not in sentinel node. My oncologist informed that Chemo won't improve chances of recurrence but strongly suggesting AI pill (which I'm not starting until reconstruction finished in October). I'm concerned about AI side effects such as losing my bones, mood, joint pain, depression etc. I am fit and active and have a young daughter and my quality of life is important to me....so is surviving so I will take the pill.

Dr. prescribed AI generic for Armidex made by Accord. I've been searching the boards for other experiences and seems like the brand name ARMIDEX seems to cause less side effects in most women, and second to that the generic Anastrozole made by Teva. My oncologist doesn't appear as convinced of differences (but then she is not taking the meds and dealing with many more immediate life threatening cases). I do believe that patients often have valuable insight due to such things.

Wondering if any of you have experience with drug varieties? Researched this?

Thanks for sharing ...it takes a village to beat cancer!x

Dx 5/2016, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2016

Aug 26, 2016 09:36PM 509337 wrote:

I am visiting my daughter in Colorado and saw a news item about a boy with cerebral palsy that took medical marijuana to relieve muscle and joint pains. It made me wonder if it could help relieve my pain. Has anyone ever talked to their doctor about using medical marijuana or used the drug to relieve the side effects caused by taking Arimidex

Aug 28, 2016 06:28PM Brutersmom wrote:

jbBCfree I have taken several different generics and have had few side effects. I am currently taking Arimidex manufactured by TEVA. I took Accord and actually had an allergic reaction to something in it by that manufacturer. (swollen tongue and lips) I was on Pack before that and they stopped making it. Everyone is different and reacts differently. I have not noticed any difference in joint pain, hot flashes etc. That has been the same with any of them.

Diagnosed at 62, No lump, found on a routine mammogram Dx 7/29/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (DUAL) Surgery 8/7/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/19/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 9/27/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/24/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 30, 2016 07:13AM sh2015 wrote:

I am a year out of surgery and went through radiation. I just had my first mammogram and it was clear. I'm going to ask for at PET scan as my tumor was very close to my chest wall and I've read where it may drain to a node in the chest as opposed to the sentinel node.

I'm also thinking seriously about a double mastectomy because I just don't think I can go through this every year. I'm taking Arimidex and having some side effects (TERRIBLE hot flashes, joint pain, weight gain, no sleep etc) and would like to get off of that. Does anyone know the percent that Arimidex is supposed to lower the risk of recurrence? I've heard a couple different numbers.

If I get off the Arimidex and have the double mastectomy, does that lower my risk?

Dx 10/8/2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 30, 2016 10:47PM ruthbru wrote:

No, it doesn't. If you had a lumpectomy with radiation, your chances are exactly the same of having a local recurrence (or distant recurrence for that matter) as if you had a mastectomy. So there would be no point in that now (as far as reducing your recurrence rate anyway). Arimidex is a systematic treatment which lowers the chance of BC cancer coming back somewhere else in your body (at which point you would be stage 4). Everyone's statistics are going to be different; but for me, 5 years of Arimidex lowered my recurrence chance 40%. Huge! There are other anti-hormonals, maybe you would do better on one of them.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 31, 2016 04:07AM Smurfette26 wrote:

When I first started Anastrozole I had awful side effects. Muscle and joint pain so bad I could barely hobble. I couldn't even hold a pen. My Dr did give me something to help me sleep. I only used it for a very short period of time and am sleeping well now unaided.

I changed the time of day I took my AI from morning to evening.

After 3 terrible months my Oncologist told me to have a holiday from it. I had a 2 week break (was so nice) then I re-started on the name brand Arimidex. The improvement is astounding. Yes I have the odd ache and pain but it is nothing like it was. It's very tolerable. I'm hoping it continues that way.

AI's are the big weapon in our arsenal when fighting ER+ BC. I hope you can find one that works for you. Donna.

Dx 9/12/2015, ILC, Right, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/9/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/8/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/14/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 31, 2016 07:47AM MarieK wrote:

I have had a similar experience to smurfette26.

Switched to name brand arimidex and side effects were lessened.

I still have aches and pains in hands and feet when I first wake up but that diminishes with movement.

Constant headache is pretty much gone but weight gain and insomnia are still problems.

In addition I get weird breast sensation on my natural side since going on AI. Sometimes it's just achey and other times it's like a burning sensation. I have had it checked out and all is clear.

Regardless of these SEs I'll keep taking it for as long as it is working for me.

8/09 Mast 10/09 6 rnds FEC 3/10 28xRADs Tamoxifen 9/10 300cc TE 2/11 Allergan 410FX Gummy 550cc 5/13 fat graft 6/13 3cm bone met rt femur 7/13 10xRADs 3/14 fat graft & tummy tuck 10/19 2cm Met Sternum Dx 7/4/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 1/5 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/7/2009 CEF Radiation Therapy 4/7/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2010 Radiation Therapy 7/5/2013 Hormonal Therapy 9/27/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 31, 2016 12:31PM guardian_devil wrote:

Hi 509337! I received a medical marijuana card with my cancer diagnosis and I am a firm believer in it's abilities to ease discomfort. It got me through chemo by helping with my nausea and the bone pain from Neulasta shots better than any of the prescription meds. I'm one year out from chemo but now dealing with nasty neuropathy along with joint pain from Exemestane. (Also developing numbness and trigger finger...hooray!) It really helps as an analgesic. You don't have to smoke it; you can get tinctures or edibles. If you do go this route (legally, please) ask the dispensary for strains that are specific for pain management. These really won't get you "high". It can also help you sleep. In states with medical marijuana legalization, you are pretty much a shoe-in for getting a card with a cancer diagnosis. I honestly wish I wasn't a "shoe-in", but having access to marijuana has really been helpful in managing my pain. I plan on using it indefinitely.

Aug 31, 2016 11:18PM 509337 wrote:

Guardian Devil,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Since I have been considering stopping Arimidex, I will definitely give it a try.

Pa

Sep 25, 2016 01:55PM Losiannie8 wrote:

Has anyone experienced a bad rash from anastrozole? I developed an extremely itchy rash six weeks ago. Started at my ankles then went up my legs. My oncologist held off on my herceptin for 3 weeks but the rash did not go away. Then they took away the anastrozole and gave me herceptin again. Two weeks after receiving the herceptin the rash flared up this time on my upper body. Six weeks later I still have the rash although it is starting to subside. Now they took away herceptin again for 3 weeks, so I am not taking anything at this time. Oncologist doesn't think the drugs are the cause of my rash but I don't believe it.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 3, 2016 07:41AM Brutersmom wrote:

Just had my annual blood work and got my results. It seems my white count has dropped just below acceptable numbers. I can see my history on line and it has always been between 5.6 to 6.8 the range is 4.8 to 10.8 10/e3/ul. This time it has dropped to 4.7. Nothing else was outside of the guidelines. I notice that a low white count is listing as a rare side effect on aromatase inhibitors. Has anyone ever else experienced this. I see my family Doc in two weeks. I will probably reach out to the oncologist as well. Not panicking because it it just below the bottom number but I am concerned. I find it helpful to be armed with knowledge when discussing this with my docs.

Diagnosed at 62, No lump, found on a routine mammogram Dx 7/29/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (DUAL) Surgery 8/7/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/19/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 9/27/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/24/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 3, 2016 08:29AM doxie wrote:

Losiannie8,

Missed your post until now. It can be really hard to tease out what is causing a rash. It might help to go to a dermatologist or allergist, especially if you have a lot more herceptin to go.

I've had many such rashes and hives over the years. It can take me months to figure out the cause sometimes, but over the years I've gotten better at figuring it out. I've used googling the better medical sites to advantage, but this isn't for everyone.

If you can't get the help of a dermatologist or allergist, then keep a log of everything you eat, put on your body and med you take. This may help you tease out the problem.

Dx 8/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/2/2011 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane) Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Oct 4, 2016 08:26PM Sophiee wrote:

Brutersmom my white blood cell count is down also. I go back next week to have it repeated. I have been taking Anastrozole for 6 months. My doctor didn't mention it could be from the Anastrozole but I saw that its a side effect too.

Dx 6/1/1997, Right, 3cm, 2/30 nodes, ER- Dx 2/20/2016, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+, HER2+ Surgery 3/9/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Oct 5, 2016 09:41PM Brutersmom wrote:

Sophiee, please let me know which way your count goes. I am hoping my medical doc will redo the test to monitor.

Oct 6, 2016 01:20PM - edited Oct 6, 2016 01:20PM by Sophiee

I will Brutersmom and please let me know what your doc says too. I go Tuesday.

Dx 6/1/1997, Right, 3cm, 2/30 nodes, ER- Dx 2/20/2016, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+, HER2+ Surgery 3/9/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Oct 6, 2016 09:14PM Brutersmom wrote:

Sophiee, I see my medical doc on 10/17. I am hoping he reorders blood work. MO won'd do anything until I start having problems.

Oct 7, 2016 02:29AM Cutiekool wrote:

hello ladies.. my Question is what %does arimedix reduce my chances of my b/c coming back

Dx 6/11/2013, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 7, 2016 05:30PM Jennie93 wrote:

Cutie, I was told, it cuts the risk in half.

49 at dx. Found on routine mammogram. Complications: cording, truncal LE. Dx 8/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 4/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/5/2012 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/16/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 3/24/2013 Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 5/23/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 8, 2016 11:11AM - edited Oct 8, 2016 11:12AM by OvercomingOne

hey y'all! I too suffer with Arimidex! It is terrible but tolerable. Anyone get monthly PMS symptoms? I am post menepausal and get monthly headaches on arimidex. Just hope this dang pill works!!

Dx 6/2/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/6/2014 Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 12, 2016 09:18AM Sophiee wrote:

Brutersmom my white blood cell count is within normal range. Don't know why it dropped, i'm just happy it went back up! Keep me posted about yours.

Oct 24, 2016 08:39AM HomeMom wrote:

Anyone having issues gaining weight? I am about 20lbs heavier since my diagnosis and I've maintained my weight (not gained) since January by going to the gym at least 3 days a week and getting on a machine to sweat and get my heart rate up. My MO says Arimidex can cause you to gain weight. I'm wondering if I go on some sort of plan like Jenny Craig or something like it, I can lose weight then maintain with my exercise program. Any ideas?

Dx 3/31/2014, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 3/29 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/15/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 5/6/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 5/30/2014 AC Chemotherapy 7/25/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/16/2014 Hormonal Therapy 12/15/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 24, 2016 07:44PM BlessedOne2 wrote:

Hello Everybody,  I started out on Arimidex in 2010 and have been on anastrozole for about 4 of the 6 years.  Night sweats, occasional hot flashes, mild headache almost nightly upon lying down, tingling feet upon rising (nothing serious, just takes a minute to get going), and insomnia(toss/turn almost daily but not tired during the day, thank goodness).  There are others like the occasional weird pain on either side.   Recently, I've noticed with the foot tingling is occurring during the day and there is some light swelling in the same foot.  Has anyone experienced swelling?    P.S.  I'm undecided if I will complete a full 10 year regimen.  Thoughts and experiences welcomed. 

Dx 4/6/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/10/2009 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 7/15/2009 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 11/11/2009 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 1/23/2010 Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/5/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 25, 2016 09:07PM - edited Oct 25, 2016 09:07PM by tobyholic

I desperately need some advice or help. I have been on Arimidex for 2 years and have already gained 20 pounds. At this rate, I'll gain another 80 pounds until I'm finished taking the drug. I am literally crying because I'm so upset. I exercise every day, eat healthy and still can't lose weight

Deb Dx 11/10/2013, 4cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 11/14/2013 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 1/2/2014 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 7/23/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/28/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Oct 27, 2016 03:15PM WndrWoman wrote:

Hi, Deb, Weight has long been an issue for me, before cancer and Arimidex/Anastrozole. I did hear a nutritionist say that if you plateau or are stuck to try having no carbs in the evening for a week. So dinner should have protein and lots of veggies/salad but no potato, rice, pasta, bread or even fruit at that time of day. Somehow it can kickstart weight loss. Have the carbs in moderation earlier in the day. Not sure if it works. Just passing along a suggestion.

Dx 10/2014, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/15/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 11/11/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 12/16/2014 Whole-breast: Breast

Oct 28, 2016 01:08PM Jennie93 wrote:

tobyholic, I gained 40 pounds on tamoxifen and have not been able to lose any (but not gaining more) on anastrazole. I do everything "right", track food, exercise, all that. I was never fat in all my 50 years before this. It just sucks, big time.

49 at dx. Found on routine mammogram. Complications: cording, truncal LE. Dx 8/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 4/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/5/2012 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/16/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 3/24/2013 Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 5/23/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 2, 2016 10:28AM IamNancy wrote:

I haven't been able to lose any weight since being on this pill - its crazy... my doctor said, oh some people gain maybe 5 lbs but that's all - yeah, right! I have at least 40 pounds to lose... so disgusted!

oncotype 25 Dx 11/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 12/10/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Surgery 2/4/2013 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 2/12/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 5/13/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 7/7/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 5, 2016 02:18PM tobyholic wrote:

Thanks WndrWoman......I will definitely try that. I am desperate for any suggestions.

Deb Dx 11/10/2013, 4cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 11/14/2013 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 1/2/2014 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 7/23/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/28/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Page 277 of 283 (8,484 results)