Join Us

We are 225,723 members in 83 forums discussing 164,194 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Fareston/Toremifene

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Apr 3, 2011 02:44PM

judyfams wrote:

I am post menopausal and in addition to BC, I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis.  I've had the arthritis for over 30 years.  The RA is under control so I did not want to go on any of the aromatase inhibitors due to the side effects of joint and muscle pain.  My oncologist was really pushing one of the AI's.  We had many discussions and I have been on Fareston for almost one month and feel fine.

Fareston is a SERM like Tamoixifen that is mainly used for metastatic breast cancer which I do not have.  My BC was IDC, stage 1 - lumpectomy, chemo and radiation.  Fareston is an antiestrogen, that is also known as Tamoxifen for post menopausal women.  I had a hysterectomy so I do not have to worry about the possibility of uterine cancer.  

Is anybody else using Fareston also called Toremifene for early stage hormone positive breast cancer? And if so what have your experiences been with this drug? 

Dx 3/1/2010, IDC, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/25/2010 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 5/25/2010 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/10/2010 Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/15/2011 Fareston (toremifene)

Page 3 of 3 (64 results)

Posts 61 - 64 (64 total)

Feb 4, 2020 05:32AM VioletKali wrote:

I had ZERO problems with Toremifene. My wonder Onc left the practice because she moved out of state, and her partner refuses to RX it for me. Tamoxifen was awful for me.

I am back on OS to show my new Onc that I am willing to compromise, but it is sucky. I want what little estrogen I already had back.

My tumor was 1.7cm, 10% of it was noted to be DCIS. No family history of cancer at all. Discontinued Chemo d/t uncontrollable side effects which caused hospitalizations, blood transfusions, and poor quality of life. I am doing well! Dx 6/19/2014, DCIS, Stage 0 Dx 6/19/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 8/18/2014 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 9/15/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/15/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Nov 29, 2020 04:07AM Salamandra wrote:

Wow, apparently it's been almost a year since I started on toremifene! In case it's helpful for anyone in the future, it is still working great for me. I had some heartburn for a bit (though not as bad as starting tamoxifen) but other than that it's been very smooth sailing side effects wise and I'm still grateful every day I take that pill and not tamoxifen.

I'm also super grateful to these boards and ladies like VioletKali and NWAartlady and others for even mentioning it. My oncologist would *never* have suggested it and it's thanks to these boards I had the opportunity to try before resorting to OS+AI.

Heart

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/17/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/2/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Fareston (toremifene)

Nov 23, 2021 09:24AM Hippmark wrote:

Thank you Salamandra (amd others) for your post about Toremifene. I was reading the side effects of Tamoxifen/AI and I just shriveled into a prune knowing I would soon be on them myself. I take Paxil and don't want to go off it, which you have to with Tamoxifen. The AI's side effects are almost to scary to look at, especially having 5 years (or more) in front of me.

I was already looking for an "alternative" to either one and this has possibilities that look at being just as effective but possibly less side effects with my mental health. Which is already shaky!

Like you, I would be certain it is not something my upcoming Oncologist would recommend.

DX 10/29/21, DCIS/IDC, R 1.8 CM, Grade 2, ER+, PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/23/21 Lumpectomy DX 1/10/22 IDC Grade 2, 2.2 cm, Stage 2B ,1/1 node

Nov 26, 2021 01:15PM VioletKali wrote:

My Oncologist(the GREAT one) was foreign, so she was well versed in approaches from other countries. Toremifene is common in other countries. I would totally take it if someone would RX it for me, but I am on nothing because I refuse to compromise QOL.

I am a well stabilized, 22 year in treated, woman with bi polar disorder. This means that my mental health is Paramount. Toremifene NEVER once affected my mental health. Tamoxifen did

My tumor was 1.7cm, 10% of it was noted to be DCIS. No family history of cancer at all. Discontinued Chemo d/t uncontrollable side effects which caused hospitalizations, blood transfusions, and poor quality of life. I am doing well! Dx 6/19/2014, DCIS, Stage 0 Dx 6/19/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 8/18/2014 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 9/15/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/15/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 3 of 3 (64 results)