Topic: For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After — This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Jul 10, 2012 04:46AM - edited Nov 15, 2017 11:07AM by moderators

Posted on: Jul 10, 2012 04:46AM - edited Nov 15, 2017 11:07AM by moderators

nancyjac wrote:

I found a couple of older threads about Arimidex, but they covered a large time span with a gazillion posts, so I thought I would start a new thread for Arimidex/Anastrozole users.

I am starting on Anastrozole today. Plan is to take it for 5 years, possibly longer. I already have osteopenia and osteoarthritis (limited to one knee at this point), so I am most concerned about the bone and joint side effects. I'm already frustrated by finally having some energy and stamina back after chemo and radiation, but now I have trouble exercising due to the bum knee. I'm concerned about that getting to be even more of a problem on the Anastrozole.

Please share you experiences, side effects, questions etc. about Armidex/Anastrozole here.

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site on Arimidex: Benefits, Side Effects and More

Dx 11/2011, IBC, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 12/6/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/6/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/9/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/16/2012 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 4/18/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/28/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes, Bone Hormonal Therapy 7/9/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1801 of 1,801 (18,004 results)

Jun 21, 2022 11:41PM oldladyblue wrote:

I am 66 years old, and finished chemo in Dec, rads in Jan, had covid in Feb, and started Arimidex in March. Prior to chemo, I was very active, healthy except for GERD, low thyroid and high cholestrol and was on no meds at all. I had no arthritis. The Arimidex made me feel 86 years old, constant bone/joint pain, and in May, after halving the dosing to every other day for 3 weeks with no change to side effects at all. Now, I've been off of the Arimidex for long enough to know that arthritis-like side effects, mental/emotional problems, and terrible insomnia were caused by this drug. While I am not perfectly back to pre-chemo strength and daily living, I feel very good overall and especially for the last two weeks, now that I am not taking the Arimidex. I have a follow up appointment with my Dr. soon, she suggested I switch to Femara if I don't decide to stay off of AIs, and we will talk about it in person. I hate the idea of going back on AIs as my reaction to them was bad, and I may choose to stay off. But for sure, no more Arimidex. KeyWestFan, I am sure you will be able to tell in the 4-6 weeks you are off what is arthritis and what are side effects. Probably sooner.

Surgery 7/1/2021 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Chemotherapy 10/8/2021 Other Radiation Therapy 1/4/2022 Whole breast: Left breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 3/10/2022 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 22, 2022 06:51PM sun-shine wrote:

Hi Oldladyblue,

I am 59 years old. I finished chemo in February and started taking Tamoxifen in March. My doctor did not give me AIs due to my osteoporosis issue. I've been taking Tamoxifen for about 3 months. My overall feeling is ok in general. Don't have so many side effects expect some vaginal discharge.

I think you may discuss with your doctor about the Tamoxifen if you want.

Surgery 10/29/2021 Mastectomy (Left): Simple Hormonal Therapy 3/26/2022 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Chemotherapy 3/31/2022 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 22, 2022 07:23PM jrnj wrote:

oldladyblue I’m right there with you. I did aromasin than arimidex now letrozole. I’m 56 and feel 86, and my father and his girlfriend feel better than me. Letrozole is only a little better because arimidex attacked my arms. Tamoxifen is an option, I’m just scared because I read it doesn’t work as well for ILC

Pleomorphic Multifocal, Extra nodal Extension, Lymphovascular Invasion. TEs removed due to infection Dx 8/15/2019, LCIS, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/15/2019, ILC, Right, 2cm, Grade 3, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2019 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 12/1/2019 CMF Radiation Therapy 3/29/2020 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 6/3/2020 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 8/5/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/24/2020 Surgery 1/28/2021 Reconstruction (Left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (Right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 3/9/2021 Femara (letrozole)

Jun 24, 2022 01:03AM oldladyblue wrote:

Thank you SUN-SHINE and JRNJ for your posts. I see my MO Monday 9am. Happy to have your information in mind. I will ask about tamoxifen, I have a terrible dread about going back on AIs and I do have fear about not doing taking the best hormone suppression therapy. It is greatly balanced by the knowledge of how less my quality of life was on Anastrozole. I don't know about your type of cancer battle jrnj, so can only offer hugs and hope.

I am considering an alternative way to manage estrogen. There is a famous alternative cancer clinic near me, LifeWorks Wellness. I used to be a supplement user prior to chemo/rads but stopped as the VA docs recommended no supplements at all during chemo/rads to not interfere with the medical treatments. My MO would hate that I am thinking of going to LifeWorks.

Surgery 7/1/2021 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Chemotherapy 10/8/2021 Other Radiation Therapy 1/4/2022 Whole breast: Left breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 3/10/2022 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1801 of 1,801 (18,004 results)

Scroll to top button