Topic: For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After — This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Jul 10, 2012 07:46AM - edited Nov 15, 2017 02:07PM by moderators

Posted on: Jul 10, 2012 07:46AM - edited Nov 15, 2017 02:07PM by moderators

nancyjac wrote:

I found a couple of older threads about Arimidex, but they covered a large time span with a gazillion posts, so I thought I would start a new thread for Arimidex/Anastrozole users.

I am starting on Anastrozole today. Plan is to take it for 5 years, possibly longer. I already have osteopenia and osteoarthritis (limited to one knee at this point), so I am most concerned about the bone and joint side effects. I'm already frustrated by finally having some energy and stamina back after chemo and radiation, but now I have trouble exercising due to the bum knee. I'm concerned about that getting to be even more of a problem on the Anastrozole.

Please share you experiences, side effects, questions etc. about Armidex/Anastrozole here.

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site on Arimidex: Benefits, Side Effects and More

Dx 11/2011, IBC, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 12/7/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/7/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/10/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/17/2012 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 4/19/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/29/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes, Bone Hormonal Therapy 7/10/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 5 of 1,798 (17,978 results)

Jul 17, 2012 05:23PM Mini1 wrote:

I had horrid SE's from Anastrozole. I told my Dr. I would go without anything before I would take it. He changed me to a different AI and I could tell the difference within days. I virtually no SE's. I have osteoporosis which I will try to control with diet and exercise for as long as possible so I don't have to change meds.

Thanks all for all the good info!

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11 Surgery 4/16/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Dx IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 17, 2012 07:19PM nancyjac wrote:

Well I have been testing out the effects of the cortizone shot on my arthritic knee the past couple of days and so far it has been great!  I walked on it quite a lot so far this week and it hasn't been any worse at all for the wear.  Last time I tried this (pre cortizone shot) I hurt so bad for several days after that I could barely walk at all.  But that is just part 1.  Because I have been able to really exercise again, I feel so much better in just about every way.  My energy is better, my mood is great, I am sleeping great, and I don't mindlessly munch on junk food just for something to do.  Only down side is that I am probably really tempted to overdo because it feels so good, but what keeps me in check is that I know I would just hate it if overdoing it made me have to stop exercising again.

Dx 11/2011, IBC, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 12/7/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/7/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/10/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/17/2012 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 4/19/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/29/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes, Bone Hormonal Therapy 7/10/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 17, 2012 08:06PM Mini1 wrote:

NancyJac - Glad to hear your shot went so well. I'm looking forward to some energetic days ahead when radiation ends next week! I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I miss exercising. :-)

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11 Surgery 4/16/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Dx IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 17, 2012 08:37PM ruthbru wrote:

Exercise is a magic bullet!

If you want to, check out the 'Lets Post Our Daily Exercise' thread on the Fitness Forum. A great, fun group of ladies in all stages of treatment and beyond who keep ourselves accountable.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 18, 2012 11:37AM Mini1 wrote:

Ruthbru- Thanks. I hadn't seen that thread. I'll check it out!

Jul 18, 2012 11:42AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

I agree! I believe that my commitment to exercise has been critical to minimizing se's from Arimidex. I also have a job that is not sedentary. I find that I only get a bit stiff when I sit around a lot but can walk it off in a few minutes. Caryn

Jul 18, 2012 01:30PM blessings2011 wrote:

We were told in my Optifast program that if we wanted to keep the weight off permanently, we needed to exercise at least 60 - 90 minutes PER DAY!!!!! Surprised

Of course, this doesn't mean all at one time....we can break it up into however many small increments we want to, throughout the day. We just need to keep moving.

I just hate to think that all my hard work (50+ pounds lost) will be undone by the AIs, but maybe now that I've given up my couch potato status, it will be o.k.

Dx 9/15/2011, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/5/2011 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Surgery 8/22/2012 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Hormonal Therapy 9/5/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/22/2013 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/1/2021 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx IDC: Papillary, Left, <1, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 18, 2012 01:48PM etherize wrote:

nancyjac, thanks for starting this thread.  It's much easier to keep up with than the other.  I started anastrozole a month ago.  

I'd had a DEXA scan prior and I was osteopenic but I've started walking again and being more vigilant about my calc/D3 supplement, so hopefully it won't get worse.  So far my only real noticeable side effects are mild hot flashes (nowhere near as bad as when I went through menopause).

Dx 8/17/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 10/17/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 12/19/2011 CMF Radiation Therapy 5/7/2012 Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Jul 18, 2012 01:54PM Mini1 wrote:

Blessings - I have the opposite problem. I was actually looking forward to to the weight gain side effect.  I know, boo hoo, but believe me I'm having a much harder time trying to gain back 22 lbs than I did doing Weight Watchers and losing almost 30. Anyway, Ive gained a whole 2 lbs in 3 months on AI's and I think that is from not working or moving as much as usual not the meds. I have a feeling when things get back to "normal" I will lose those 2lbs. I've met people that have gained and some that have not. It's not a given that you will gain weight from the AI. :-)

Jul 18, 2012 03:40PM Msbelle wrote:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am starting Anastrozole tonight. Praying all goes well and no SE. I already feel like I'm 90 when I get up in the mornings so I'm nervous about the joint SE.

Dx 1/13/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 2/9/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 2/23/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/23/2012 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 6/28/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 7/18/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/10/2012 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Surgery 12/18/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal

Page 5 of 1,798 (17,978 results)

Scroll to top button