Join Us

We are 217,522 members in 84 forums discussing 160,606 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications. Note: Please remember that there are good experiences and bad with ALL treatments and this is a safe place to share YOUR experience, not to be influenced or influence others.

Posted on: Jul 10, 2012 06:46AM - edited Nov 15, 2017 01:07PM by Moderators

nancyjac wrote:

I found a couple of older threads about Arimidex, but they covered a large time span with a gazillion posts, so I thought I would start a new thread for Arimidex/Anastrozole users.

I am starting on Anastrozole today. Plan is to take it for 5 years, possibly longer. I already have osteopenia and osteoarthritis (limited to one knee at this point), so I am most concerned about the bone and joint side effects. I'm already frustrated by finally having some energy and stamina back after chemo and radiation, but now I have trouble exercising due to the bum knee. I'm concerned about that getting to be even more of a problem on the Anastrozole.

Please share you experiences, side effects, questions etc. about Armidex/Anastrozole here.

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site on Arimidex: Benefits, Side Effects and More

Dx 11/2011, IBC, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 12/7/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/7/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/10/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/17/2012 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 4/19/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/29/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes, Bone Hormonal Therapy 7/10/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 531 of 584 (17,514 results)

Posts 15901 - 15930 (17,514 total)

Feb 13, 2019 01:39PM 2002chickadee wrote:

HikingLady,

Boy do I hear you on the constant challenge to get used to new inconvenient things and new ways your body has been diminished. Sounds like you have the right two things in opposition, because GLAD TO BE ALIVE always wins if I can get back to reminding myself of that.

For others experiencing hot flashes, I've said it before but acupuncture did miracles for my hot flashes, and I was so glad to not need another drug in the mix.

Hugs to all!

DX'ed at age 41 on my first mammogram Dx 1/11/2018, IDC, Right, Stage IA, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 2/6/2018 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 3/23/2018 CMF Dx 9/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/4/2018 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Feb 18, 2019 09:34AM keepmovin wrote:

Seeking help with a recent issue- I took Anastrazole for first time last Monday before going to bed. I woke up at 3:30 am the next morning with a horrible headache and upset stomach. I called my MO and his nurse told me to not take anymore and that we would regroup when I see the MO again in 3 weeks. Anybody with a similar story? I’m worried I won’t be able to tolerate the AI and beingER+ PR+ it’s pretty important for the long term.

Dx 5/16/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 8/16/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/17/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/4/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Feb 18, 2019 10:55AM Snickersmom wrote:

I've been on it for about 18 months. Fortunately, my side effects aren't that bad. I take my Anastrozole in the morning. The only time it bothers me is if I don't have any food in my stomach. Then I will feel a little queasy. My biggest problem with it is the darned Buddha belly. I do take Zoloft (diagnosed with PTS) so my mood swings aren't as bad as they were right after my BMX. Sometimes I have hot flashes but they are short so I can deal with them. Have you tried taking the Anastrozole in the morning? Maybe you need to have food in your stomach when you take it.

Dx 3/24/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/2/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 6/11/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 18, 2019 11:31AM - edited Feb 18, 2019 11:33AM by egregious

Hey keepmovin,

Had the same stomach and headache problems that you did when I first started arimidex. The stomach ache went away after a few days. It helped to eat saltines or other crackers, just a little something in my stomach, including in between meals. Hey I can always diet later.

I started with a quarter pill for a few days, then half a pill, etc. Would they let you try this? I tried this after checking with the pharmacist, yes it was ok to split my pill.

The headache is very slowly lifting. It was killer the first few days. I'm three weeks in, and now it's tolerable and treatable with either tylenol or advil. Some days I don't take either one.

My medical team says try it for three months, and then come see them. So apparently they think the side effects will continue to decrease over that period of time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sometimes I feel brave, and sometimes I get tired of feeling brave. I keep going for my children. Age 67 at diagnosis Dx 9/5/2018, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/26/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 11/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 1/26/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 18, 2019 02:57PM TrmTab wrote:

After three years on, I was told to stop as the bone loss was worse than potential continued benefits. In the three years I have lost 20% cummulative on my dexa scan.

I have been using the Eagle Pharmacy mail delivery of brand name arimidex and last week before this news received a new 3 month supply (three one-month sealed from the manufacturer containers).

If someone could use these, PM me with your address.

Alternatively, if you know of a charity that supplies meds to women in need, please let me know. The local free clinic says it doesn't start women on a 5yr regime of something this costly and doesn't give folks 3 months without a source to continue.

Best, TT

Dx 9/2015, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 12/21/2015 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/11/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 2/5/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 6/3/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/8/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Surgery 12/17/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 5/12/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 18, 2019 06:30PM FaceForward wrote:

Egregious - What were your deciding factors for going with Arimidex? I'm kind of leaning that way.Are you also on a bisphosphonate?

I'm meeting with my MO again on the 28th. I need to make up my mind which path I'm taking by then. So far I've been going around in circles. There's no right answer, I'm just trying to decide the course that feels like the lesser of multiple evils. 😶

Dx 10/19/2018, Right, ER+/PR+ Dx 10/19/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 11/28/2018 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 1/16/2019 Whole-breast: Breast

Feb 18, 2019 06:45PM PontiacPeggy wrote:

FaceForward, I went with Arimidex because that was what my then-MO recommended. He said it had been around the longest with the most studies on it (this was 4-1/2 years ago). I take it in the morning, just prior to breakfast. I *am* on a bisphosphonate (Fosamax) and have had zero issues with it. I have had no issues that I know of from Arimidex. I take regular Claritin for morning stiffness that I had prior to all this BC journey and it helps some. I will be discontinuing Arimidex in October after 5 years since my now-MO says that with my stats I should be fine without it and he thinks that my bones will be happier. I totally trust him and that's what I will do. We each have to decide what is best for ourselves. I followed all the recommendations of my BC team.

HUGS!

Peggy. Diagnosed age 68., Oncotype 13. Everything is doable - not easy, but doable. Dx 6/5/2014, IDC, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/23/2014, DCIS, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1 Surgery 7/23/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 9/2/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/17/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 18, 2019 06:49PM - edited Feb 18, 2019 06:49PM by thecargirl

I have five Arimidex bottles, never opened from Eagle Pharmacy as well to give to someone. PM me if you need me to send them to you.

Susan

Feb 18, 2019 06:50PM Dixietm wrote:

so happy for you! Just started my

Feb 18, 2019 06:55PM - edited Feb 18, 2019 06:58PM by egregious

Hey FaceForward,

Arimidex is the recommendation of my Stanford-based oncologist, who showed me stats on how it could reduce my risk of recurrence from 4% or so to 1%.

I could say, feeling lucky enough with the 4 but would I want to go through this again, knowing that I didn't do everything possible to avoid it? During treatment I met a woman my age who was there for recurrence. That scared me. It had been kind of theoretical before meeting her.

The first two weeks on the drug, even at my little quarter and half pill doses, were very hard. But I am in a pretty good place now after three weeks. Even if the SEs don't improve at all I am willing to do this for five years. And they assure me that things lift throughout the first three or four months.

Am currently not on any meds for my bones, but I sure did get religion for daily exercise when the first bad density test came back two years ago - midrange osteopenia, not the full osteoporosis. So two years ago I started walking a half hour a day. I get tons of milk and yogurt and take a Vitamin D3 supplement.

My more recent density test, before starting the AI, showed stability in my spine and hip, but deterioration in my femoral neck. So now I'm doing exercise twice a day, the new ones are weight training for the femoral neck and a few 'girl' pushups to strengthen my shoulders. The doctor said the AI might take a few percentage points off my next bone density but hopefully this level of exercise will help me push back on that a little.

The meds for osteoporosis are improving over time. If I need them, I'm willing. Feels like I lost several months of my life to this cancer and I'm doing what I can to keep it from happening again. The whole package - eating better, almost no wine, exercise, AI, followup mammograms.

Good luck with your decision, and keep us posted!

Sometimes I feel brave, and sometimes I get tired of feeling brave. I keep going for my children. Age 67 at diagnosis Dx 9/5/2018, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/26/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 11/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 1/26/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 18, 2019 08:24PM Cherryi3 wrote:

Hi Keepmoving, I see you got a lot of responses but thought I’d share. Last week was my third week on it. Besides being moody and tired, I’ve had migraines with vomiting, diarrhea almost every day and from Friday to Sunday, a pain in my groin so excruciating I couldn’t dress myself or go down stairs. Soooo weird. Ended up taking my leftovers meds from surgery. Strangely but thankfully I feel fine today. My MO did not want me to ease into my full dosage. My plan is to suck it up until next appt. in April. Good times

Dx 10/1/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/21/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

Feb 18, 2019 10:24PM CindyNY wrote:

Faceforward & Cherryi3 - I'm going on 1 yr of Anestrozole. The beginning was rough. Mood swings, brain fog, hot flashes, insomnia, a full mix of crap. But after 3+ months on it, it settled down. I take it at 12:30 AM, night owl, and that may have had an impact, but I haven't chaged the time.

I still get hot flashes but they're light in comparison to friend's I have who are not on any AI. They're doable. And I still might get a wake up for no reason every 6 weeks or so. But it could just be my age, who knows.

You'll get through this. We're all stronger than we know. Best of luck.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 19, 2019 07:15AM FaceForward wrote:

Thank you to all who responded to my Arimidex question. My "team" (surgeon, RO, MO, Bone Doc) all work very closely together. They're always up to date with the other dr's latest updates, recommendations, etc. They are great communicators and I do trust them. It's reassuring to know that we're all on the same page, all the time. They all include me in all treatment decisions. The issue I'm having now is that there really is no clear "best" decision on this. They ALL Suck! Sigh... I definitely have to go on a bone builder of some type. That's bothering more than the AI decision. I'll update here once I figure out what I'm going to do.

Dx 10/19/2018, Right, ER+/PR+ Dx 10/19/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 11/28/2018 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 1/16/2019 Whole-breast: Breast

Feb 19, 2019 08:30AM MACTAZ wrote:

Hi all, first time I have posted on this topic but have been following for a couple of months. I knew my OC would eventually add hormone therapy and yesterday he did. I am to start anastrozole and will tell you I’m very nervous about doing that. It seems like so many here are having issues with it. I am 62 years young but already have osteoporosis and osteoarthritis in knees, hips and spine. I take alendronate sodium for osteoporosis and can manage arthritis pain so far with over the counter medication. What I am most concerned about is having pain worse than I already have.

I was extremely nervous about taking alendronate sodium due to all the SE, I have been on it for 8 months and haven’t really seen anything, except for some acid reflux the day I take the med. I’m hoping for the same result once I start anastrozole. It does seem like I need to give it some time, possible 3 months, to sort out based on the most current discussion.

Thanks to all who post here, while some posts are scary, it helps to understand what you are facing and that everyone have different experiences on the meds.

Neo-adjunct therapy-TCHP (6 infusions ), Single MX right with TE, reconstruction-reduction and lift of left, implant and nipple reconstruction (3 surgeries), adjunct therapy H&P (11 infusions), hormone therapy. Dx 8/14/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 8/14/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (DUAL) Dx 9/19/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3

Feb 19, 2019 08:44AM ajbclan wrote:

Hi MACTAZ! Your post sounded like me less than 2 months ago! The ladies here calmed me down lol. I'm on Anastrozole and feel like I'm doing ok on it. I had a deja scan right before I started and was surprised that I'm in the osteopenia stage. I thought for sure they'd just leave me on Tamoxifen, but nope! I'm trying to kick up my exercise and dairy and I take a calcium supplement. I had asked the nurse if I should do Claritin and she said I wouldn't need it, but about a week in I just did it. Why deal with potential pain when I can take a Claritin?!

I have hot flashes, but had them with Tamoxifen. With both, they're tolerable. Funny I read someone else's post about mood swings, insomnia....it's so hard to figure out what's age, a med, etc. I think I've had some mood swings- irritable, but maybe that's the teenager in the house???

Good luck and "try" not to analyze everything happening in your body....it's hard though!!

Dx 8/9/16 with "multiple masses", chemo from 8/24/16 to 12/14/16- PCR. BMX w/TE: 1/31/2017; Exchange-9/18/17. Dealt with blood clot, cellulitis and another infection. Variance on PALB2 gene. Dx 8/9/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/24/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 1/31/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

Feb 19, 2019 08:52AM HikingLady wrote:

RE: Arimidex, its side effects, and bone loss

I've been on it for 3+ months. Lots of my early bothersome side effects (hot flashes, sleepiness) have subsided. Now the main one that bothers me is numb fingers, as if my hands are asleep. I can shake them awake again, but it happens quite often. Not a deal breaker. For my diagnosis, I have a 50% reduction in recurrence rate of my cancer if I'm on an AI. I have an infusion of Zometa every 6 months to counteract bone loss.

Dx 3/2003, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Surgery 4/8/2003 Lumpectomy Radiation Therapy 6/9/2003 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 8/7/2003 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 4/25/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 5/22/2018 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 6/25/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 11/6/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 1/2/2019 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Feb 19, 2019 10:30AM Snickersmom wrote:

I've posted about this before but will add a few things here. I've been on Anastrozole for almost 2 years with very light side effects. My biggest issue is the Buddha belly and mood swings/depression. The other issues - joint aches and pains, insomnia (I now take Melatonin and that really has helped), and hot flashes are manageable. I can't take any of the biophosphonates because I've had small tumors (benign, thankfully) in my jaw so my MO doesn't want to take any chances of jawbone issues. My dexa scans have been good so for now, I don't take them. If my bones start deteriorating, I guess I will have to take something.

When do you all take Claritin? Morning or evening? I'm not sure when I should take it to get maximum benefit from it.

And do any of you get tired in the afternoon?

Dx 3/24/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/2/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 6/11/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 19, 2019 11:26AM Ingerp wrote:

MACTAZ--lots of us have eased into the AI either by taking half a pill/day or taking a full one every other day. I cleared this with my MO, but I don't think anyone has reported that their doctor had a problem with it and some don't even bother to ask. I started every other day 11/11 last year, and started daily 12/1. I do feel a little stiffer/creakier, did have some headaches early on, but I can't say I notice much in the way of SEs these days. I was most worried about it interfering with my sleep, but I haven't noticed that at all. FWIW, I take it with my lunch.

And Snickers I get tired most afternoons but I really doubt that has anything to do with the AI. ;-)

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/23/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/18/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 5/18/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 8/20/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Feb 19, 2019 12:12PM MACTAZ wrote:

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback. I think I will try easing into it, I’m sure my OC would be fine with that. Also, I see many use Claritin, I take Zyrtec daily for my sinus headaches. When I was on chemo and getting Neulasta my OC said that Zyrtec would work just as well as Claritin. If I do have increased aches I might try switching to see if that helps. I know they have different acting agents.

Neo-adjunct therapy-TCHP (6 infusions ), Single MX right with TE, reconstruction-reduction and lift of left, implant and nipple reconstruction (3 surgeries), adjunct therapy H&P (11 infusions), hormone therapy. Dx 8/14/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 8/14/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (DUAL) Dx 9/19/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3

Feb 19, 2019 02:36PM ctmbsikia wrote:

Hi everyone!!  I've been on anastrozole for close to 8 months.  My stiffness/joint pain did decrease in the 1st few weeks once my body adjust to this med. I don't do Claritin.  I have found, KEEPING moving is key although I'm not getting up once per hour in the middle of the night LOL so mornings are a little hard.  My arms/hands fall asleep at night, but I had this before BC.  For awhile I was not getting any hot flashes or night sweats, but the last few days, look out!  Breaking out in sweats so I wanted to pass along I think I found the trigger----Not eating well, or introducing another type food you're not used to eating.  For me, I cut out red wine in the beginning, I only have white now just a few times per week. Last Sunday I had a glass of red, sweated all night even after drinking lots of water.  Cheese definitely sends me into sweating fits---I still want to eat cheese as I need calcium and cannot take a supplement (it causes me headaches).  I only ate 1/2 a grilled cheese sandwich w/tomatoe on a slice of oat nut bread for lunch today, and  I am ready to just dive into a pool or something!

Somehow since my diagnosis I haven't eaten much cheese as my brain was equating it to estrogen and that is was bad.  Anyway, I am now wondering if some of these SEs for some of us at least, could be better managed if we just try to pay better attention to what we are using to fuel our bodies?  I also ate cottage cheese for breakfast on a few crackers.  First time I've had cottage cheese in years!!! Today has been tough.  I think I did it to myself though.  I love cheese, but I think it's the devil if I overdo it, and in the last few days, I've definitely overdone it.   Does this make any sense?

Dx 12/14/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/16/2018, LCIS, Right Surgery 1/31/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 19, 2019 07:58PM - edited Feb 19, 2019 08:49PM by psugirl

Hi all. I'm new here. I have found great wisdom from your posts. I have been on Anastrozole for 6 months. I have had mild hot flashes since starting anastrozole, not a big deal. The last 3 months, I have had achy shoulder, arm and back muscles, increased joint pain in my fingers, and depression. I have arthritis in my hands and back, so this is just an increase in symptoms. I see my MO on Thursday, so will talk about all of this. I am 100% ER, PR positive, so I will not stop anastrozole, but am hopeful she can help. This is all worth it (so far) if it prevents a recurrence! Good luck to all of us!

Dx 7/16/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 7/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 8/27/2018 Radiation Therapy 9/11/2018

Feb 19, 2019 08:45PM - edited Feb 19, 2019 08:46PM by Suzyshacklechick

Hi there. I just got home from Getting my 1st prescription for Arimidex. Praying for mild side effects. When is the best time to take? Before bed? I am praying I do just fine in this. Thanks

Dx 11/2/2018, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 2/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 19, 2019 10:40PM Moderators wrote:

Welcome, psugirl! We're so glad you've joined our community, and hope you find this to be a source of support as you continue with your treatment!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Feb 19, 2019 11:31PM CindyNY wrote:

Suzyshaklechick- welcome to the group. You should pick a time that's easiest for you to take every day at about the same time. I picked 12:30 AM, I'm a night owl, so its just easier for me. I've set the alarm on my cell to go off every day at 12:30 AM - so I can't forget. I'm retired so I sleep in, my wake up time is all over the place. But others take it with breakfast, I've even read here some take it at lunch daily, or at dinner.

If you pick a time and its not working for you, then just change it up. It's something none of us want to take, but we do get through it. Best of luck to you!

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 19, 2019 11:52PM - edited Feb 20, 2019 12:02AM by Suzyshacklechick

Are there any other people who have had surgery and small tumor (7mm) that havejust taken an AI and no radiation? That is my Dr's plan for me. Said I didn't really need radiation. Just Arimidex

Dx 11/2/2018, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 2/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 20, 2019 05:48AM Ingerp wrote:

Suzy--some people have had tummy problems when taking an AI on an empty stomach so I think just plan to take it with a meal. I take mine with lunch since I don't eat breakfast. If I did I'd probably take it then, just to get it out of the way. I've never heard of anyone not getting rads after a lumpectomy--have you met with a radiation oncologist just to hear the numbers? (How much radiation would reduce your risk of recurrence. Maybe in your case there isn't much impact?)

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/23/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/18/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 5/18/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 8/20/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Feb 20, 2019 06:01AM Peregrinelady wrote:

Suzy, I agree with Ingerp. Unless you have extenuating circumstances, I believe standard of care is radiation with a lumpectomy. I would seek a second opinion.
Dx 4/24/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/18/2015 Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2015 Liquid tamoxifen (Soltamox) Surgery 4/19/2016 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 8/1/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 7/20/2020 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 20, 2019 07:04AM MACTAZ wrote:

Suzy, I’m in line with peregrinelady and Ingerp, I haven’t heard of not getting rads. Consider getting a second opinion or talk with an RO.

Feb 20, 2019 07:48AM Cherryi3 wrote:

Suzy, My tumor was small, low grade, very low oncotype (4) slow growing and was told I needed rads plus AI. Ditto on the second opinion

Dx 10/1/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/21/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

Feb 20, 2019 08:25AM ajbclan wrote:

Hi Suzy- Just wanted to let you know I take mine in the morning. A lot of times on an empty stomach (well except for coffee!). I haven't had any issues that I've noticed! Good Luck.

Dx 8/9/16 with "multiple masses", chemo from 8/24/16 to 12/14/16- PCR. BMX w/TE: 1/31/2017; Exchange-9/18/17. Dealt with blood clot, cellulitis and another infection. Variance on PALB2 gene. Dx 8/9/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/24/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 1/31/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

Page 531 of 584 (17,514 results)