Join Us

We are 219,697 members in 84 forums discussing 161,626 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

Hormonal therapy medicines can be used to lower the risk of early-stage hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer from coming back, shrink or slow the growth of advanced-stage or metastatic hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers, and lower the risk of developing breast cancer in certain women who are at high risk. They work by lowering the amount of estrogen in the body or by blocking the effect of estrogen on breast cancer cells.

There are several hormonal therapy medicines, including, tamoxifen (Nolvadex, Soltamox), Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), and Femara (letrozole).

Hormonal therapy is usually prescribed for multiple years. Common side effects include hot flashes, joint pain, fatigue, and bone thinning.

Note: This is a safe place to share YOUR experience, not to be influenced or influence others. Please contact your doctor about any questions or concerns you may have if you are currently taking hormonal therapy.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 10, 2012 07:46AM - edited Nov 15, 2017 02:07PM by Moderators

nancyjac wrote:

I found a couple of older threads about Arimidex, but they covered a large time span with a gazillion posts, so I thought I would start a new thread for Arimidex/Anastrozole users.

I am starting on Anastrozole today. Plan is to take it for 5 years, possibly longer. I already have osteopenia and osteoarthritis (limited to one knee at this point), so I am most concerned about the bone and joint side effects. I'm already frustrated by finally having some energy and stamina back after chemo and radiation, but now I have trouble exercising due to the bum knee. I'm concerned about that getting to be even more of a problem on the Anastrozole.

Please share you experiences, side effects, questions etc. about Armidex/Anastrozole here.

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site on Arimidex: Benefits, Side Effects and More

Dx 11/2011, IBC, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 12/6/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/6/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/9/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/16/2012 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 4/18/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/28/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes, Bone Hormonal Therapy 7/9/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 587 of 588 (17,617 results)

Posts 17581 - 17610 (17,617 total)

Dec 5, 2020 07:21PM PontiacPeggy wrote:

My calcium levels have been high since about 2015. They are staying around 10.1. I do not take calcium supplements - they don't agree with me. I've been off anastrozole for over a year. Off Fosamax for that long too. My MO said that at high levels it can indicate a thyroid problem and for me to watch it. So I am. I take a total of 3000 IU of vit D3 daily. And folic acid. Hard to tell if there is a relationship between higher calcium levels and anastrozole. My osteopenia has been stable for about 6 years.

HUGS!

Peggy. Diagnosed age 68., Oncotype 13. Everything is doable - not easy, but doable. Dx 6/5/2014, IDC, <1cm, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/23/2014, DCIS, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1 Surgery 7/23/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 9/2/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/17/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 5, 2020 07:22PM Anx789 wrote:

Thank you for the responses, I got worried for a little bit. I also read that Anastrozole can cause high calcium plus this pandemic made me lazier.

I had dexa scan last January 2020 when I started Anastrozole, everything is normal at my age, 49. How often is the recommended dexa scan?

lgbery - I am hypothyroid but I’ve never seen a n Endrocrinologist, should I see one

Dx 9/25/2018, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

Dec 7, 2020 06:18PM CeliaC wrote:

BlueGirlRedState - I have taken the New Chapter Bone Strength for many years now. At the time of my diagnosis, my Calcium was very high.

Will see how the bones are doing with upcoming dexascan on 12/21/20. I have been doing a lot of exercising since COVID, so will be interesting to see what effect that has had. At any rate, I will absolutely not go on another drug!

Anx789 - Most medical plans only cover a dexascan every 2 years. My last one was just prior to my diagnosis.

Dx 12/2/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/21/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/5/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 8, 2020 09:07PM CindyNY wrote:

Like Celia said ususlly insurance covers dexa every 2 years. I had one in May 2019, showed start of osteopenia, then in Sept/Oct I started Fosamax generic. All through an endocrinologist. I was able to get another dexa last month, because of the year on the drug, to see if it was working. It is.

Endocrinologist discovered thru a blood test that I carry an antibody that turns thyroid levels down, TSH goes up. My levels over a few years were low as a 2.07, high of 5.45. If your can get into an endocrinologist, and insurance covers it, I'd recommend seeing one. Best of luck.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 9, 2020 07:39AM Kkukowski wrote:

Hello, I have not been on this site for a while but thought I would chime in. Been on Anastrozole since April. I got joint pain in my left shoulder which is opposite to the right side BC. I was having trouble sleeping and my restless legs seemed to be aggravated as well. I read on here a suggestion to try acupuncture so I have been doing that and I sleep so much better. Helped with hot flashes too.

my calcium levels and cholesterol levels are up. But my MO and women’s health doc are not too concerned yet. I do go to the gym 5-6 days a week. It is tough to get up, but I have never regretted a workout.

I really like reading all these comments. I cannot believe it will soon be a year that I ended chemo! My hair is so thick and curly where before was just straight.

Radiation started in January and the itchiness was the worst part for me.

I pray for all of us here that and lo the support!!!

Dx 7/15/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER+ Surgery 8/8/2019 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 10/16/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/19/2020 Whole-breast: Breast

Dec 9, 2020 11:03PM Whatjusthappened wrote:

Anx789, I am the same age as you, also hypothyroid. I had a dexa scan before I started on anastrozole, and it showed I already had osteoporosis. My MO started me on Prolia shots and I just had another dexa scan about a year and a half later. My insurance covered it no problem, so I think it depends on your individual case. Unfortunately, despite the supplements and Prolia, I didn't have any improvement. At least it didn't get worse, so that's something. I would definitely recommend seeing an endocrinologist if possible. It is hard to get your thyroid dosage right and my primary doctor says that he's seen that going on an AI can really cause changes in your thyroid function. I was over-treated for a while years back, and I think that is what is largely responsible for my osteoporosis.

BRCA2 positive; multifocal LCIS/ILC found after sugery Dx 2/1/2019, LCIS/ILC, Right, 4cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 2/21/2019 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/22/2019 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 6/17/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal Surgery Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 15, 2020 11:49PM Natemax wrote:

I've been on arimidex for 2 years. I've had right hip pain for 2 years. My onc doesn't feel it is related. I've had bone scan, MRI, physical therapy, dry needling, chiropractor, massage, NSAIDs, steroids, stretching, yoga, the list goes on and on. Nothing helps. I even tried name brand and 2 different manufacturers of generic, I decided to stop it for 2 weeks....take my own drug holiday. Pain was gone in 3 days for the first time in 2 years! After a week I got scared that I was off and resumed it. Knock on wood no return of pain after a month. I'm puzzled as to how or why a weeks break could have such a dramatic effect. Any thoughts

Dec 16, 2020 03:08PM BlueGirlRedState wrote:

Natemax - that is increadible, the relief you got from just a 2 week "vacation" from Arimidex, and that it has not come back. Makes me very tempted to do the same to see if the hand stiffness and locking finger gets better. Today I had to ask the nurse to unlock my finger for me after I clenched a fist and pumped my arm for an IV. I would love also to know what the tumor is doing.

Dec 16, 2020 03:11PM Anx789 wrote:

whatjusthappened - I’ve been hypothyroid since my 20s, it’s been under control but recently my test results doesn’t make sense to my primary, so she told me to stop Biotin, and it’s normal now. I read Biotin affects thyroid test results but my primarythinks it also affects absorption so she told me to stop taking it. I have stopped calcium supplement too. Seems like I can not take any supplements...

Right now, the only supplement I take is Ocuvite, for my eyes. I recently found out I have cataract, maybe another gift from taking Anastrozole or a side effect of Taxotere. 🙁

Dx 9/25/2018, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

Dec 16, 2020 03:34PM - edited Dec 16, 2020 03:35PM by JKL2017

Natemax, while on Arimidex I had almost constant muscle pain in my thighs. Neither exercise nor medication helped and I was close to giving up AIs for good when my MO suggested taking a one-month vacation. Within days that pain and a few other troublesome SEs were totally gone! When the month ended, I switched to Exemestane and have found it to give me fewer SEs. I have no idea why one AI can be so much easier to take than another (maybe the fillers used?), but that certainly was my personal experience! If your pain returns, just know that there are alternatives that may be easier for you to take.

Dx 2/2/2017, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/7/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/20/2017 Multi-catheter: Breast Hormonal Therapy 5/24/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane)

Dec 16, 2020 04:28PM Dreamhome wrote:

I have been on Anastrozole for a couple of months. After reading about the side effects, I was really worried. I did have all the side effects at first, but all were mild, mostly headache, fatigue and slight nausea. For a couple of days, I had pretty bad joint pain. I started taking extra D3 (for a total of almost 500 lU) and the joint pain is gone. My oncologist did say that "mature" women seem to tolerate these pills much better (I'm 72). I just completed 18 days of radiation Monday so I'm not sure if the pills made me more tired because the radiation was having that effect. So, bottom line, for me I am very pleasantly surprised by how well I'm doing.

Good luck to you all!

Dx 8/10/2020, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/22/2020 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 10/19/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Dec 16, 2020 09:49PM Whatjusthappened wrote:

Anx789, I have heard that biotin can affect test results, but have never heard of it affecting absorption. I usually just stop taking it a few days before a lab draw. I also always take my thyroid medicine on an empty stomach, but I'm sure you know that. I have been on it since my twenties as well, and my dosage has gone up and down over the years. I think that the sudden menopause and having osteoporosis make it that much more difficult to get the dosage right. Does your primary think that the anastrozole has affected your results?

Natemax, that is incredible that you got such relief from going off the arimidex. I have tried several vacations hoping for a clear improvement, but the joint pains continue regardless, so I don't know if I can blame it entirely on the arimidex. I'm on another vacation right now (self-imposed) because I'm wondering how long I need to be off of it to make the pain go away. Sometimes I think that every joint in my body hurts.

Dreamhome, thanks for posting that you're doing well. It is always nice to hear positive stories. Radiation can definitely make you tired! It will most likely pass.

BRCA2 positive; multifocal LCIS/ILC found after sugery Dx 2/1/2019, LCIS/ILC, Right, 4cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 2/21/2019 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/22/2019 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 6/17/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal Surgery Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 17, 2020 01:02AM Anx789 wrote:

whatjusthappened- On my thyroid test,T4 was normal but TSH was low, which she said doesn’t make sense. She thinks Biotin was affecting the test resnot Anastrozole. When I stopped Biotin, my test is normal again.

Dec 17, 2020 06:33AM Whatjusthappened wrote:

Anx789, I have had exactly the same issue! At one point, my TSH was almost zero, but still a normal T4. My doctor had to keep lowering my thyroid dose to get the TSH higher, but my T4 was always normal. I've never considered that the biotin could be the problem. Weird.

Dec 17, 2020 12:41PM AmyCinny wrote:

Natemax,

You are incredibly fortunate. I've just failed exemestane after failing anastrozole. I was crippled by both.

I'm on a 3 month drug holiday until I see my onc in early March. Frankly, I have no idea what she will suggest next since both drugs affected me equally. For now, I'm enjoying getting up from sitting, getting in and out of a car, turning over in bed - all without thinking. Not thinking about pain 24 hours/day is freeing.

Dec 18, 2020 11:22AM Polkadot1 wrote:

So I am basically at a loss of what to do next. I have been an Anastrozole since February but only at half-dose. Even on that reduced dosage, I had all sorts of problems and was ready to quit my job due to major insomnia, severe IBS, very low mood, lack of concentration etc. So my oncologist recommended a 4 week holiday from the med. That 4 weeks was bliss. I felt brighter, I had energy, my family and friends said I was my old self again and I felt like I could do my job at work. One thing I noticed during this time was the swelling I had had since surgery and had multiple OT treatments for what was believed to be lymphedema and cording went away. I attributed this to the LE treatments and that it had finally resolved. Then I started on brand name Arimidex and the swelling came right back. I had not even attributed it to the drug but have since read that it is indeed a potential side effect. ANYWAY, the very worst part is I got my bone density scan this week and I have lost 10% of bone in my spine in ONE YEAR! I already had low bone density but had previously maintained with estrogen. My MO knew this but said it takes a long time for AI to adversely affect the bone and we would address treatment in 2021. My endocrinologist said that he has seen it happen very quickly and I should have been on Reclast from the beginning. I do not handle ANY med well and am terrified of trying Reclast/ Prolia etc. but my scans are very bad at this point and I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any positive reports on Reclast? I am not even sure whether to continue AI at this point either...UGH.

Dx 5/20/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/14/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 9/7/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 18, 2020 05:58PM CindyNY wrote:

Polkadot1-I worked out like a gym rat, 5x a week hard. Within a year on Anastrozole I had osteopenia. Eat right, work out, take calcium, etc..it didn't help.Endocrinologist had me start Fosamax generic, one 70 mg pill once a week, after 1 year my osteopenia is gone. I was going to get Reclast infusion but decided to stay on the generic once weekly pill. My reasoning was I tolerated it well. My MO takes Reclast and recommends it, I'm just staying with what I know. Best of luck to you.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 19, 2020 09:29PM Polkadot1 wrote:

CindyNY- thank you for sharing your experience. That is awesome you were able to reverse your bone loss and it is good to hear your MO actually takes Reclast. I am just afraid of an infusion since once it’s in your system, there’s no turning back if you have a bad side effect. I am thinking of trying the oral meds again. I did try them in the past but gave me digestive issues. All these treatment decisions are so hard. I guess I should be thankful we have treatments available.

Dx 5/20/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/14/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 9/7/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 30, 2020 10:31AM petite1 wrote:

Hi. I haven't been on here for a while. I have been on Anastrozole for a little over a year. The SE have been not been too bad. My bone scan has not changed in a year. I have a problem with my middle finger locking up on the right hand. I exercise it regularly. The thumb on the left hand has started locking up as well. Any suggestions?

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 30, 2020 11:31AM - edited Dec 30, 2020 11:41AM by SimoneRC

Hi petite1,

My oncologist suggested sleeping in wrist braces as AI's can cause carpal tunnel. I purchased the Mueller green wrist braces, left and right. I sleep with them every night and my finger issues are much improved! The braces are inexpensive and widely available. I purchased them at my supermarket and I see they are widely available online as well. If you try them, I hope you see improvement as well!

ATM Gene Mutation, Deletion. IDC w/Lobular Features and Focal Mucinous Features. Pre Pectoral Reconstruction. Hysterectomy

Jan 1, 2021 07:36AM petite1 wrote:

SimoneRC, Thank you. I will check into it. Happy New Year!

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 2, 2021 06:42PM BlueGirlRedState wrote:

SimoneRC - I will try those wrist bands and see if they help.

Jan 2, 2021 10:45PM SimoneRC wrote:

I hope they work for you, petite1 and BlueGirlRedState! They have made a really big difference for me. Much improved.

Happy New Year!

ATM Gene Mutation, Deletion. IDC w/Lobular Features and Focal Mucinous Features. Pre Pectoral Reconstruction. Hysterectomy

Jan 12, 2021 02:20PM Suzyshacklechick wrote:

I am on Arimidex and notice my toe nails are discolored, and some falling out and look really funky growing out. Is the normal

Dx 11/2/2018, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 2/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 13, 2021 03:32PM mg15 wrote:

Hi, I am on Arimidex I believe you call it Al on these messages. So I also have started a bigger dose of Pravastatin 80mg once a day along with Synthroid 112mcg a day and supposed to have Prolia starting in March. I just wonder if I should just do the Fosamax I hate the stuff because of my stomach but almost seems like I have to grin and bear it. The pravastatin can cause muscle loss.

Thank you mg.

Jan 14, 2021 12:04AM Suzyshacklechick wrote:

Has anyone had a problem with their toes nails falling out and getting funky with Arimidex

Dx 11/2/2018, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 2/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 14, 2021 11:21AM Miriandra wrote:

Yeek! Fortunately, my nails are fine. I hope you get some answers on why your body is doing that, Suzy.

I was having issues with my hair thinning, but I tried Annie's suggestion of biotin shampoo. I've seen much fewer hairs in my comb or falling out in the shower. I haven't noticed my hair thickening up yet, but my scalp gets itchy. I'm hoping that's a sign of follicles waking up and growing hair again.

Dx 5/31/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, 0/1 nodes, ER+ Surgery 8/14/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left

Jan 14, 2021 05:53PM Suzyshacklechick wrote:

thank you Miranda. I am going to try that shampoo. Not sure what is going on with my toe nails

Jan 16, 2021 11:12AM NM71 wrote:

1/16/21 - Hope I'm posting here ok, been off site for a few years. Prolia question. I am 75 but in good condition. I've had osteo in my hips, normal back for 20 years, taken lots of fosamax, soso. I was on tamoxifen for 5 years. On Dec. 15, 2020 onco doc changed me to anastrozole (armidex), no problems, I walk every day.

In 3 days I'm supposed to start on Prolia, and from all I read it sounds like most people have terrible long term and permanent side effects. I'm going to do more research, but I think I'll tell the doc I'm going to pospone it at least until I can get covid immunization, which may be months.

So, I'm wondering how many people on AI and prolia and how the prolia has affected you, or is it just fine?

Dx 3/18/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/19/2015 AC Surgery 7/21/2015 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right Radiation Therapy 9/8/2015 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 10/31/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 16, 2021 11:29AM NM71 wrote:

I've only been on anastrozole for one month. The first week I had bloating, started taking it with food in the morning. Then I realized what I ate with it had an effect. Now take it with a little cottage cheese and I'm not having any side effects. I make sure to walk a lot. Keep moving all joints.

Also, I had 5 years of tamoxifen before, so that may make a difference.

If she's able, she needs to "keep moving". I am 75 - perhaps similar age of your mother.

Dx 3/18/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/19/2015 AC Surgery 7/21/2015 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right Radiation Therapy 9/8/2015 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 10/31/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 587 of 588 (17,617 results)