Join Us

We are 223,908 members in 83 forums discussing 163,273 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Jul 10, 2012 07:46AM - edited Nov 15, 2017 02:07PM by Moderators

nancyjac wrote:

I found a couple of older threads about Arimidex, but they covered a large time span with a gazillion posts, so I thought I would start a new thread for Arimidex/Anastrozole users.

I am starting on Anastrozole today. Plan is to take it for 5 years, possibly longer. I already have osteopenia and osteoarthritis (limited to one knee at this point), so I am most concerned about the bone and joint side effects. I'm already frustrated by finally having some energy and stamina back after chemo and radiation, but now I have trouble exercising due to the bum knee. I'm concerned about that getting to be even more of a problem on the Anastrozole.

Please share you experiences, side effects, questions etc. about Armidex/Anastrozole here.

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site on Arimidex: Benefits, Side Effects and More

Dx 11/2011, IBC, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 12/7/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/7/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/10/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/17/2012 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 4/19/2012 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/29/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes, Bone Hormonal Therapy 7/10/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 593 of 594 (17,802 results)

Posts 17761 - 17790 (17,802 total)

Jul 9, 2021 06:44PM BlueGirlRedState wrote:

yvette - I had joint stiffness almost immediately with generic anastrozole, but not other SEs. Brand name Arimidex seemed to affect me less. You can get it directly from this pharmacy $2/day which is a lot less than what insurance charges. DR needs to fax in the Rx https://www.eaglepharmacy.com/

Lifestyle changes are hard, and the changes you make need to be sustainable, not radical quick fixes. If there is a YMCA near you they might have classes in eating/nutrition, in addition to all kinds classes (yoga etc) and gym equipment. of Hydration is key, water, not sugary drinks. The mediterranean diet emphasizes low meat, lots of vegies, low sugar. If you take up exercises find something you like and will stick with. For nutrition/life style, check out https://foodrevolution.org/

Jul 10, 2021 10:41AM 4agatetheblues wrote:

I have also started to take anastrozole (arimidex) in May and so far I have not had any side effects. I was so scared because of all the terrible SE people were experiencing. After I had a second opinion with another oncologist who gave me the same recommendation "try it for 3 months and see what happens" I did and so far so good. I am almost 74 and I think it is easier because at that age you have very little estrogen left anyway. It also depends on how healthy you are (besides having had cancer).

I had stage 1 cancer in my right breast, got a mastectomy in March 2021 and didn't have to suffer through radiation and chemo.

Jul 11, 2021 03:03PM Castigame wrote:

well I have been extremely fortunate with brand name Arrrrahimidex via Eagle pharmacy. Levothyroxine, 0.25 mg of Lorezapam(very sloow redux regimen), vitamin D3, multi vitamin. Liver is OK cholesterol mildly elevated. Water water with walk walk no bone stretching meds. Been taking about 45months now and I cannot afford to think about until 72months pass.

Strangely my onco only gave me 90 day supply this time. Check up in about 2 wks and I have a feeling she might recommend Letrozole which I am more than open to. I even found out I may be able to make Novartis to subsidize the cost of Femara. My first choice is Femara just maybe try generic for a couple of months. If not going back to the proven Arimidex.

Anyone else switched to Femara with little issue possible from Arimidex?

Thank you for your help or advice.

Mimi

Mimi Dx 1/11/2017, IDC: Papillary/IDC: Cribriform, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/11/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes Surgery 2/15/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 3/21/2017 Radiation Therapy 7/31/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 10/30/2017

Jul 16, 2021 11:43AM Annie60 wrote:

Castigame - I made the switch and have done better on letrozole. I still have some aches and and occasional trigger finger/thumb. The worse SE for me has been depression and insomnia. I am taking adivan to help with this. Feeling much better.

Annie

Dx 8/28/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 8/28/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (DUAL) Radiation Therapy 5/28/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 8/21/2019 Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Jul 26, 2021 11:37PM - edited Jul 26, 2021 11:57PM by Anx789

Hello there, i have this rash on my cancer breast, they did a biopsy and turned out to be an allergic reaction to a medicine. The only med I can think of is Anastrozole and the J&J vaccine. I also have another brown dry skin patch like around my armpit that is growing and multiplying. Anybody has any skin issues with Anastrozole

Dx 9/25/2018, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

Jul 28, 2021 10:34AM CindyNY wrote:

Anx789- sorry about your reaction and rash. I’ve had no rash issues from Anastrozole. During radiation I had a patch go crazy, and had a few brownish flat spots show up in radiated area. All has returned to normal. Hoping yours clears up too.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 29, 2021 10:42PM BlueGirlRedState wrote:

Anx789 - no alergic reaction, just the dam SEs. It seems like they should be able to figure out which drug is causing it. Good news that your biopsy was negative. I was not so lucky. I did get a "rash" after 12 months when on Ibrance/Arimidex, biopsy showed that it had become metastatic.

Aug 22, 2021 05:20PM Mich21 wrote:

Hi all, I’m finishing up RADS on 8/25 and the. On to 5 years of Anastrozole and Lupron starting. 8/30

Dx 3/8/2021, LCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/8/2021 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 8/3/2021 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/14/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 23, 2021 08:34PM GinamarieZ13 wrote:

Hi there,

Hope everyone is well. I am 1 year post partial mastectomy with 20 sessions of radiation. As I am pre-menopausal, my MO recommended tamoxifen. It took me awhile to get on board with it and started taking it on 1/1/21. I decided on 10 mg instead of the recommended 20 mg. Started off okay but it immediately messed with my periods and the insomnia and hot flashes began.

Then in early June, I ended up in the ER….diagnosis of 2 DVT's in my right leg and a small PE in the lower lobe of my right lung. Scary to say the least. I couldn't believe it and frankly it scared me more than the actual breast cancer. My MO told me to stop taking the tamoxifen. Since then my periods are normal again and I am sleeping much better. I am now taking Eliquis and will continue to do so for a few months.

My MO is now recommending monthly Lupron shots with Arimidex. Given what happened with the tamoxifen I am hesitant to do this now. All of the side effects seem so scary. I already have osteopenia so I am concerned about bone loss and joint pain. I certainly do not want metastatic breast cancer but I feel paralyzed by fear and uncertainty.

Would appreciate hearing from those taking the shots and an AI. Thanks so much.

Dx 7/16/2020, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/14/2020 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 9/29/2020 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2021 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 24, 2021 01:11AM Racheldog wrote:

Wow, all these drugs are ever so scary. Is tamoxifen the only hormone drug that is more associated with DVT? Seems that MO's keep switching patients around on the other AI drugs as well but those have different SE. So undecided myself as to starting any of these.

Dx 9/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Other Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Aug 24, 2021 06:40PM Kamboka wrote:

I think Tamoxifen is notorious for DVTs. The other AIs given to post-menopausal come with their own set of SEs but usually DVTs is not one of them. Glad you got prompt medical treatment as they can be scary.

Dx 1/4/2019, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 3/15/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/8/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Dx 7/9/2019, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3 Surgery 7/23/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 10/2/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/22/2019 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 24, 2021 07:59PM Laurencl wrote:

Hi Gina,

I’m 57 and since I was not considered in menopause prior to my diagnosis in 2019 (even after chemo, single mastectomy and radiation), I get a zoladex shot every three months and take anastrozole (since 1/20). My side effects have been minimal. I really don’t have any problems after the zoladex shot, and the AI gives me some aches and pains, but I stay active to fight them and I’m doing okay. Hope it helps.

Lauren

Aug 24, 2021 08:57PM GinamarieZ13 wrote:

Thank you Lauren. Glad to hear you have tolerated both meds without much incidence. I have an appointment with my MO on Sept. 2nd and will hopefully be closer to a decision.

Gin

Dx 7/16/2020, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/14/2020 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 9/29/2020 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2021 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 11, 2021 06:55PM SingingWendy wrote:

GinaMarie—-

My oncologist strongly recommended I not go on Tamoxifen due to the increased risk of clots, since I had developed a pulmonary embolism during chemo and am now also on Eliquis. His recommendation for me was ovary removal surgery followed by Armidex. For my situation it was definitely the right choice, (especially after the pathology of the removed Fallopian tubes showed a precancerous lesion that no one was expecting to find there. Good news is I healed quickly and have had no significant side effects with the Armidex.

Dx 12/2020, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/13/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 6/10/2021 Lumpectomy Radiation Therapy 7/26/2021 Surgery 8/19/2021 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 12, 2021 09:46PM Beekc wrote:

Great tips. Thank you! B.

Sep 14, 2021 06:09PM paulinke wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I finished my radiation and just started Arimidex 2 weeks ago. Besides minor stomach upset my only other side effects have been hip and neck pain. My neck aches constantly and my hip only at night when I am in bed. Everything I've read says joint pain doesn't usually set in from the medication for a few months so I am worried..of course. I have to stay off doctor google who tells me my cancer may have gone to my bones. Has anyone else had joint pain immediately after starting? What has your medical oncologist recommended?

Thanks

Dx 4/14/2021, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Radiation Therapy 6/24/2021 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 8/1/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 15, 2021 12:57PM Nsbrown54 wrote:

Paulinke - I started with letrozole and switched to anastrozole after 6 months. I started to have aches and pains shortly after starting letrozole. I have found that keeping active helps. I walk 2 miles every day and try to do stretching that my physical therapist gave me. I’ve had my trigger finger and hip injected and have had PT for lower back issues. I see my orthopedic doctor Friday and will discuss some recent shoulder pain. I figure this is my new normal, so I’m getting use to it. Usually I the orthopedic doctor orders an X-ray or MRI and it eases my mind. My oncologist would order MRI while I was in active treatment or refer me to the appropriate physician, but now that I’m done with treatment I either follow up with my primary care doctor or see my orthopedic doctor.

Dx 6/16/2020, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 6/29/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/19/2020 Mastectomy Targeted Therapy 1/4/2021 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/25/2021 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 6/2/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 15, 2021 01:07PM Racheldog wrote:

As someone who already has baseline joint arthritis I cannot imagine joint pain being any worse on these drugs. I will be starting Letrozole in about a month. I applaud all of you who kept up with exercise during infusions. I am still on Herceptin and feel no great enthusiasm to try to exercise. Never was like this at the beginning of this year. Had an active job running around.

I am making my yearly retinal appointment soon for a checkup as all these drugs are known for retinal traction issues. More problematic (per MDs) is Tamoxifen. I will give the AI a try when the time comes and see what happens. I am older and QOL is more important than not being able to function while living alone.

Dx 9/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Other Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Sep 15, 2021 02:23PM L8Blmr wrote:

After starting anastrozole (Accord brand), I immediately had trigger finger, hip, knees and back pain; I felt like I had aged 30 years. Someone on this site recommended Teva brand anastrozole; I changed to Teva brand and have not had a problem. Yoga and walking also help with the stiffness. I take a 24 hr Claritan everyday and drink Honey Chai Tumeric tea by Yogi. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you. AI's are doable. Goo!d luck

L8Blmr Dx 11/2/2017, IDC: Papillary, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 12/14/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 1/14/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/22/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/30/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 15, 2021 02:32PM Nsbrown54 wrote:

Racheldog - I wasn’t able to exercise during TCHP, but gradually started once I started to regain strength after my mastectomy and starting just HP. I also developed neuropathy in my feet and walking seems to help alleviate some of the discomfort associated with the neuropathy pain. I started slow and worked up tothe two miles.

Didn’t know about eye issues and AIs. Just had a visual field exam this morning and setup my annual eye exam.

Dx 6/16/2020, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 6/29/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/19/2020 Mastectomy Targeted Therapy 1/4/2021 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/25/2021 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 6/2/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 15, 2021 04:58PM Racheldog wrote:

Hi NsBrown. I already have both a family history and my own history of retinal tears that required laser photocoagulation. So I am acutely aware of those AI issues more so than other folks on here. I emailed both retinal docs and it seems to be Tamoxifen that can cause more maculopathy per them. But I really will ask more when I go in for my annual eye exam next month.

My vision sure seems different after being on all these treatments and I have held off on new glasses until things settle out. Thanks for the encouragement about the exercise. I hope to get back to at least doing my stationery bike! Slowly have slipped back in vitamins again. Herceptin is kicking my butt this time with fatigue. I am glad I opted for doing each modality separate. Not concurrently but sequentially.

Sep 15, 2021 05:16PM HomeMom wrote:

I've been on Arimidex for 7 years, and will be on it for another 3. I have not had any adverse reaction, except my PCP mentioned that my cholesterol was up. I have never had high cholesterol. This is a new doctor who did a detailed blood panel, so I'm not sure I have been tested for cholesterol since my diagnosis. Anyone have issues with that?

Dx 3/31/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 4/29 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/15/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 5/6/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 5/30/2014 AC Chemotherapy 7/25/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/16/2014 Hormonal Therapy 12/15/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 15, 2021 08:45PM Racheldog wrote:

Yep, that is another SE (hypercholesteremia) that is definitely in the columns and literature about the AI drugs.

Sep 15, 2021 11:31PM JanieHS wrote:

HomeMom: Before starting on an AI, my cholesterol was already high (like 220-230) but every time I asked my PCP about maybe starting on a statin he always said it wasn’t necessary. My LDL was low, the ration of HDL to LDL was good, I had no other factors that would put me at risk for heart issues etc. Then I had my latest labs done for my MO (who added in a test for cholesterol because she knows it bothers me ) and it was 272. My PCP called 2 days later - “I guess we’d better get that statin started”, he says. My blood pressure is going up too. The joys of AIs.

Dx 12/16/2019, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/10/2020 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 3/24/2020 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 7/2/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 16, 2021 09:44AM HomeMom wrote:

JanieHS - My BP is up too. It's been a little elevated the last two years 157over 90 ish. and she never said anything. Last time I was there it was 177 over 120. She came in and said 'What's up with your blood pressure?!" She has never said that the AI can contribute to that. So at the PCP he took it twice, once when I got there and once when it was time to leave. It went from 160 over 120 to 140 over 90. He was going to put me on BP meds until he took the second one. I am taking my BP whenever I can and am at rest to track it for him. I don't know what to think anymore. Plus he has me getting blood work again and coming back in 3 months.

Dx 3/31/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 4/29 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/15/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 5/6/2014 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 5/30/2014 AC Chemotherapy 7/25/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/16/2014 Hormonal Therapy 12/15/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 18, 2021 03:11PM Jibber wrote:

I just started Anastrozole and didn't know it was a generic for Armidex! Does it make you drowsy? Do you take it in the morning or evening? I find that it makes me a little tired. Maybe I have to get used to it? Thanks in Advance!

Sep 18, 2021 04:40PM Nsbrown54 wrote:

Hi Jibber - I take the generic and haven’t had any drowsiness from it. I take it with my dinner. I’ve been on it 3+ months

Sep 18, 2021 05:04PM L8Blmr wrote:

HI Jibber, I take anastrozole in the morning with breakfast and haven't had any drowsiness. Been taking it for 3.5 years.

L8Blmr Dx 11/2/2017, IDC: Papillary, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 12/14/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 1/14/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 4/22/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/30/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 18, 2021 06:20PM CindyNY wrote:

Hi Jibber, I take anastrazole at night before bed, just easier for me to remember it. I’ve been taking it for 3.5 years.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 19, 2021 05:22PM Jibber wrote:

High colesterole is one of the side effects for Anastrozole that I had read. I'm not to happy about that, cause it can cause heart issues!

Page 593 of 594 (17,802 results)