Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Different Brands of Tamoxifen

Options
javamama
javamama Member Posts: 28

Hey ladies. So, I have cancer brain and can't remember anything. I KNOW I read about the two different manufacturers of Tamoxifen and how one causes more side effects than the other. But for the life of me, I cannot find it again. Arghhh. I swear I would lose my head if it wasn't screwed on right now.

Could someone who knows what the hell I'm talking about- and even those that don't- chime in and let me know the different manufacturers and which one causes the least side effects. I'm pretty sure my MO is going to stick me on this for 5-10 years and I'd like to have the least amount of issues with it as I can and start out with the good manufacturer.

TIA!!!!

Comments

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited October 2016
    Options

I've always been on Watson with bearable side effects. I've also heard of Teva, and Mylan (?).

• javamama
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thanks, farmerlucy!!!!

I hope more ladies chime in. I see my MO on Wednesday and would like to put in my preference for manufacturers then so we have ample time to figure out who sells what where.

• Carlsoda
    Carlsoda Member Posts: 120
    edited October 2016
    Options

I am on mylan with very little side effects. Walgreens carries the Mylan brand.

• javamama
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thank you, Carlsoda!!

Oh, and awesome tip about who sells it.

• so-she-did
    so-she-did Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2016
    Options

I have tried just about every manufacturer for tamoxifen (my pharmacy kept switching) and the only one I have had any major difficulty with is the manufacturer called Mayne. After a few months on this one, I requested to my pharmacy to never use this manufacturer again for me. Each manufacturer I have tried has its own set of side effects (stiffness in feet, more hot flashes, more emotional, etc.) but this manufacturer is the only one that was severe for me (dizziness, major brain fog, emotional, fatigue, muscle cramping). My suggestion to you is to try the first manufacturer they give you and if it works for you - and give it a month or two since some of the side effects fade after a few months - request that you stick with that one. If you have side effects that you can't deal with, request another manufacturer and keep trying them until something works for you. If your pharmacy is unwilling to order a particular manufacturer for you either find another pharmacy or have your oncologist write it into the prescription so they have to follow it. Each person responds differently and through some trial and error I'm sure you'll be able to find one that works for you or at least has minor side effects that you can live with. Oh, and in my experience, magnesium helps for the hot flashes and leg cramps that can come with taking tamoxifen and/or chemopause.

• javamama
    edited October 2016
    Options

so-she-did... OMG, how did you come up with a way to make so much sense? That's sounds like a good plan. But, I think there was one manu that had everyone crazy with the side effects. But if I can't figure out which one that one is, I will go with your method. Because I am FREAKED out about all of this. Seriously.

I hate cancer. And I want to grab cancer by the... well, you get what I'm saying. So if I can, I so want to make anything cancer related have the most minimal impact on me and my life as possible.

THANK YOU so much for this response. I really feel like my brain is on overload is is about to explode with both too much info and not enough info ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

• Sjacobs146
    Sjacobs146 Member Posts: 155
    edited October 2016
    Options

java mama, I do not believe that there is one particular manufacturer with less SEs than others for the entire population of people who take it. Different people respond differently to each manufacturer. Please keep in mind that relatively few women have difficulties with Tamox. My MO says only 25% of her practice experiences SEs and only a handful experience severe SEs. I myself do not have any SEs except for the occasional hot flash. The reason that you hear so much about SEs on these boards is because they're looking for help and advice. If you have no SEs, no reason to post about that

• bethanygb1
    bethanygb1 Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hello! Knowing what you ladies know now after being on the different types of meds, would you take them if you were: DCIS, 1 cm, removed with clear margins, no lymph nodes, completed 25 rads last week, age 49, no other health issues, very active, non-smoker, non-drinker, pre-menopausal (but probably not too far off).

The rads were not that bad, and I am more afraid of 5 years of Tamoxifen. Are there any people that have 0 side effects with meds?

• bethanygb1
    bethanygb1 Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2016
    Options

What are your minimal side effects? How long have you been on it? Thanks!

• Sjacobs146
    Sjacobs146 Member Posts: 155
    edited October 2016
    Options

I've been on Tamoxifen for 19 months. Only side effects are occasional hot flashes, and I feel generally warmer than I did before, That's it. I do not take any supplements. I recommend giving theTamox a try. If you do experience SEs and you find that you can't live with them, then stop. Fyi I was 48 at time of diagnosis

• javamama
    edited October 2016
    Options

Sjacobs146- That's good advice. The thread I was reading indicated that one brand almost always produced side effects. I was just hoping to avoid that one. Just me being a wussy and wanting smooth sailing instead of choppy waters. Ha! I've been the metaphor queen since the DX. lol If I can't figure it out, I will just take whichever one my pharmacy carries. But my stupid insurance keeps bringing one into network and kicking the other ones out or vice versa. I'm 48 right now and got my DX back in August. So... hopefully, my only SE will be some hot flashes.

• lisey
    lisey Member Posts: 300
    edited October 2016
    Options

I'm on TEVA/MAYNE and have no side effects at all. I'm 41 and 5 months in, and an ultra rapid metabolizer - so I should be having uber SEs.. :) It's a freaking sugar pill to me at least so far. I'll take it!

• etnasgrl
    etnasgrl Member Posts: 185
    edited November 2016
    Options

I've been on the Teva brand since I first began taking Tamoxifen and am doing very well on it. My only side effect is occasional night sweats. That's it.
    I had heard from the ladies here that switching between brands can cause all sorts of side effects to rise up, so I requested my pharmacy only fill my prescription with the Teva brand. They made a note in my account and it's never been a problem. I use Walgreen's. Smile

• javamama
    edited November 2016
    Options

Thanks you, Lisey and etnasgrl!!!!

I think my insurance is bringing Walgreens back into network Dec. 1. I'll have to double check that again.

• JaneyK12
    JaneyK12 Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Need some advice! There seems to be a real difference among generics. I had been feeling good on Mylan for tamoxifen from my local pharmacy for 6 months, but had to get it by mail in September for my new job's insurance. I recently started feeling painfully bloated and realized nothing fits me anymore (stomach only) and I have not changed my diet at all.

Just had a colonoscopy two weeks ago and thank goodness I am fine. So I think the bloating is due to my changing brands to Teva. I am going back on Mylan and hope my bloating and stomach pain subside. I had the NP at my doctor's office request Mylan to Express Scripts but they sent Teva regardless.

Anybody else experience the same thing? Anyone getting relief from bloating after switching back to a generic that has worked for them in the past?

Thank you so much!

Janey

• leeannsclewis
    leeannsclewis Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi Janey: I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. Jumped through all the hoops and started Tamoxifen (manuf. by Mylan) last June. Had awful side effects and issues that made me downright miserable and sick. Ran out of pills before my last oncology visit 2 weeks ago so the doctor order more. The new batch of pills were made by a different manufacturer. After 2 weeks all the nasty side effects I had been experiencing from the Mylan brand were gone. The pharmacist told me I was highly allergic to whatever Mylan uses as fillers and a preservatives in their pills. I now use Teva. The morale of the story is all patients using Tamoxifen should monitor themselves closely and if they are experiencing really bad side effects to try a different brand. No need to keep feeling awful while trying to get well and stay well. I'm doing much better on Teva and feel normal.

Good luck to you.

Leeanne

• mtlowry19
    mtlowry19 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2019
    Options

I did fine the first 2 year or so, but I didn't realize the manufacturer rotated at my pharmacy. Then it was free at Walgreen's with insurance so I went there and they only have Teva. Well my bones started hurting so bad I couldn't squat down or I couldn't get back up. Ended up with a brace on my elbow, and my liver numbers started going up. So I went back to the old pharmacy and pay $25 a month to get Actavis brand. That was fine for a while and then my vision went. Eyes swollen, dry, and in pain even when closed. The eye doc gave me drops, but they were $300 so I passed. Now I've changed again to Mylan for 2 days and all of a sudden I have horrible stomach pains. Could it be from that? If it is, I give up. I'm over this. Been 4 years 7 months.

• pasc
    pasc Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi there - I've had difficulty finding pharmacy that sells Teva tamoxifen and even heard Teva stopped manufacturing it. My prescription bottle has brand name Actavis (pharmacist says this is Teva). I read Teva recently acquired Actavis; expert at Teva said Teva did not give/sell its Tamoxifen formula to Activas. Has anyone purchased Teva generic in recent months? And if so can you share NDC code and ID imprint onthe pill?Thx!