We are 191,923 members in 81 forums discussing 142,846 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: Tamoxifen and insomnia

Topic: Tamoxifen and insomnia

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During and After —

Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications. Note: Please remember that there are good experiences and bad with ALL treatments and this is a safe place to share YOUR experience, not to be influenced or influence others.

Posted on: Feb 13, 2017 05:09PM

Jenpolk wrote:

Hi,

I have been on Tamoxifen since November of 2016 and have struggled with sleep since then. I have tried ativan (works some but has long term side effects that I dont want) and Melatonin did not work. Has anyone had the same struggle and found some solutions?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Feb 13, 2017 07:26PM Iniah wrote:

Hi Jenpolk,

I have been on Tamoxifen for 3 years, then Femara for one year and now Tamoxifen for my 5th year and yes, I can't sleep. I have used Ambien occasionally as well as Xanax which both help very much. I quit Xanax on my own (was on minimal dose) after many years of taking it. You could try taking the Tamoxifen in the morning or splitting your daily dose in half and taking it twice per day. I have used Melatonin but it does not help me either. I take half an Ambien and take "Ambien breaks" for a few days to make sure I don't get too used to it. I found that sleep is important for functioning and healing and I could not go without it. I have also used Passionflower extract, meditation, and breathing exercises to induce relaxation. Hope you find some good "zzzzs" and maybe somebody has a good suggestion for both of us?

All the best,

Iniah

Iniah Dx 4/27/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 6/16/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/19/2012 Breast Hormonal Therapy 8/7/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 3/10/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 3/23/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 7/1/2013 Hormonal Therapy 7/10/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 13, 2017 11:03PM Coolnana wrote:

Just starting it this week.... restless leg and also problems with sleep....frustrating

Feb 13, 2017 11:40PM Coolnana wrote:

Just started tamoxifen....terrible restless legs... haven't been able to take the other meds.... think I might be done. Dr. said 25 percent of women can't handle side effects... think I'm one of them

Feb 14, 2017 12:07AM exercise_guru wrote:

I truly understand. I started to have severe insomnia with Arimidex and then it came back when I switched to Tamoxifen. It continues to give me severe insomnia. I have tried a few things but they don't agree with Tamoxifen. Right now I am using Ativan but my doctor suggested

Gabapentin as it helps with neuropathy and sleep and is fine with Tamoxifen

The other suggestions were

Docapin

Silenor 10mg

There were two more suggested I will have to look them up one started with an R but many of these are counterindicated with Tamoxifen.

Age 42 05/15/2015 PALB2 mutation, DBL Breast Cancer Type 1A Grade 3 ER+PR+(right 1.3cm,.5cm) HERr+(left1.6 cm), 06/26/2015 BMX with TE 8/27/15 Chemotherapy TCH 12/30/2015 TAH/BSO/Reconstruction 1/29/16 Arimidex 3/1/16 Femara 5/6/16 Tamoxifen

Feb 14, 2017 01:48AM Michelle_in_cornland wrote:

For those just starting Tamoxifen, ask your doctor to start you on 10 mgs and work your way up to 20 mgs. If you are sensitive to meds, this may be the way to go.

Live free - Oncotype 14, Take things as they come and you can do it!!! Dx 8/8/2016, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/29/2016 Radiation Therapy 10/6/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/15/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Prophylactic ovary removal

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)