We are 226,651 members in 82 forums discussing 158,896 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Doing Well on Aromatase Inhibitors (AIs)

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications. Note: Please remember that there are good experiences and bad with ALL treatments and this is a safe place to share YOUR experience, not to be influenced or influence others.

Posted on: Apr 22, 2017 07:51AM - edited Nov 15, 2017 12:09PM by Moderators

Butterfly1234 wrote:

I read a suggestion that someone should start a topic for women who are NOT experiencing severe SEs while taking Arimidex, Femara, or Aromasin. I'm about to start taking Arimidex and when I read about the potential SEs I get discouraged. Maybe others would also like to hear about positive experiences. We would love to hear from you!

Edited by Mods to add content from the main Breastcancer.org site on:

Aromatase Inhibitors

No matter what you look like or think you look like, you're special and loved and perfect just the way you are. Ariel Winter Dx 1/24/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/27/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/11/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 5/9/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 42 of 42 (1,234 results)

Posts 1231 - 1234 (1,234 total)

Feb 12, 2020 05:20AM SUPer52 wrote:

Re: Beginning AI- I started one week after radiation treatments ended. I take mine in the mornings, often on an empty stomach, with no problems at all.

My advice based on my own personal experience is, whenever you do begin taking it, to begin on a day you don't necessarily have to be anywhere. I took my first dose on a Saturday morning rather than a weekday morning because I was nervous about going to work and experiencing any dizziness since the bottle comes with that warning label on it. It turns out I did experience significant dizziness that first day, and a little less dizziness the next day. By the third day, which was a Monday, when I had to take it before work, I was fine and felt nothing. I was glad to have started it on a day I didn't have to be anywhere. Since then, I have been fortunate to feel just fine while taking it. I have been on it for exactly 9 months so far.

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, compassion, some humor, and some style." -Maya Angelou Dx 1/15/2019, DCIS/IDC, Right, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 1/23/2019 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 2/25/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/8/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 5/11/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 12, 2020 05:34AM marinochka wrote:

thank you so much for answering my question!

Dx 11/4/2019, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR- Surgery 12/19/2019

Feb 13, 2020 02:58PM Floral wrote:

Thanks for all the positive replies! I will fear the AIs much less, although realizing that everyone is different. I am recovering well from surgery and awaiting my appointment with a RO. I had a positive node, so I think my hope of no radiation is for nothing. Oncotype test not back yet, so chemo is still a question mark.

At some point I will reach the AI phase. This is certainly a slow process. I finally just decided mentally to write off the year. It’s less stressful than wondering if I will be able to do this or that in August. Now if I can do something I will be pleasantly surprised

Feb 13, 2020 06:44PM CeliaC wrote:

Floral - Waiting for the Oncotype result to determine if chemo would be beneficial was the WORST! BS never mentioned chemo as a possibility until we discussed that tissue was being sent for the Oncotype test. Although my numbers were not low enough to clearly show no benefit, they were in the "grey" area - BS was ok with no chemo, which was ok with me as well. Here's hoping for a low Oncotype result.

Dx 12/2/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/21/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/5/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 42 of 42 (1,234 results)