Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Am I imagining it??? Switching Tamoxifen generic & SEs

sg751
sg751 Member Posts: 11

Hi everyone - I have been on Tamoxifen for 2 years and have tried a few of the generics. Teva was the one that really gave me very few side effects, and as many of you know, it is now discontinued. From what I've been able to figure out, Teva bought Activis and is now selling their Tamoxifen. At the same time, Teva sold its own Tamoxifen formula to Mayne, which is now selling it. The evidence, according to a pharmacist I spoke to, is that both the Mayne and the Teva pills have the same numbers on them (93-782).

Here's the thing -- I have some of each of the Mayne and the Teva and while they both have the same numbers, they do not look the same -- the Mayne are significantly bigger.

Even more important, I swear that this summer when I took the Mayne pills, I had much more SEs - disturbed sleep from nightly hot flashes, moodiness, etc., and when I was able to get Teva this fall, they dissipated. But since the pharmacist swears that they are the same, I decided to try the Mayne again and have taken them for the past two nights. I'm back to disturbed sleep and moodiness.

My question is -- is that possible that the change could happen so quickly? Or at all, since the numbers are supposed to mean that they're the same? Or am I possibly imagining it and the summer SEs were... I don't know...?

I have 10 days of Teva pills left and I'm trying to figure out what to do next since I can't get them anymore... I'm also curious which generics other people who have lost their Teva have found to have the least SEs....

Thank you!

Comments

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    edited February 2018
    When I tried the Tamoxifen pill, I had shortness of breath. I switched to Soltamox, liquid Tamoxifen, and had little to no side effects. It is quite expensive, but I only had to pay the $100.00 copay once.
  • BucsGirl
    BucsGirl Member Posts: 160
    edited February 2018

I'm not sure if this helps or not. I just got my new prescription refill the other day. The manufacturer changed from Teva to Mayne. I haven't started taking them yet as I still have a week's worth of Teva pills left. The number (93-782) is the same. I didn't notice a significant change in size. The Mayne pill is a little flatter than the Teva pill. If there is a change is size, it's very little. I did notice that the bottle has Teva in big letters on the cap.

Now, my estrogen receptor percentage was at 90%. That's from my final pathology report. I've been on Teva for a year now. I still have hot flashes, night sweats, and joint pain with the current tamoxifen manufacturer (Teva). I don't sleep very well at all. I'm thinking that the SEs are just worse for people with higher percentages. I could be wrong.  

I'm actually hoping that the switch of manufacturers helps with my SEs. I'll update everyone if I notice any differences between the 2.

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited February 2018

For what it's worth, my SE response to Teva and Mayne is the same.

• Pyrrh
    Pyrrh Member Posts: 89
    edited February 2018

Bucsgirl - I am a very high ER % as well, and experience little to no side effects from (Teva) Tamoxifen. I will be interested to see what happens when I refill... I watch the manufacturer closely since reading so many threads here on BCO about the potential that the SE's might be related to the "inactive" ingrediants.

• shebg16
    shebg16 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018

Hi everyone! I'm a breast cancer survivor, it has been 3 years since my diagnosis and 2.5 years since I began my Tamoxifen treatment. I have been taking Teva's brand since I began my treatment, but a few months back my pharmacy gave me a refill by Mayne Pharma instead of Teva. I experienced horrible side effects (intense hot flashes, night sweats, depressed/weepy, lethargic, etc.). Anyway, I was able to get a switch back to Teva for the past few months and everything has been normal, status quo.
    This most recent refill I received Mayne again. I actually didn't even realize the switch until I'd taken the medicine for 5-6 days and all the sudden I was experiencing all the same intense side effects again. I checked the bottle, and sure enough, I'd once again been given Mayne instead of Teva. I called my pharmacy to speak with the pharmacist. She told me that Mayne acquired Teva, and so it's possible they're only distributing their generic because she said she can see that Teva is no longer available to order. She told me she thought the formula was identical, but I'm telling you, I know my body and this is not the same. I think I have a few Teva pills left so when I get home I will check the numbers on the pills and compare, but either way it sounds like Teva will be gone moving forward.

Needless to say, I am feeling a bit panicked because the side effects from Mayne have been dreadful and I can't imagine continuing to take this brand. I guess I have a few questions: 1) is Teva definitely no longer available? 2) if I were to stick things out with Mayne, will these side effects subside? 3) do I have any other options?
    While unpleasant I can deal with hot flashes and physical discomfort, but I absolutely cannot function with the depressed, sad, weepy emotional side effects.

Any help or suggestions are welcome!
  • BucsGirl
    edited February 2018

Then I guess it doesn't have anything to do with high ER%. Sad

I've also been monitoring the posts about the inactive ingredients. I'm still hoping that it's something else. I'm worried now about the switch in manufacturers. If I have these SEs with Teva, then will it get worse with Mayne? I hope not. I can't imagine it being worse than what I have now. If it's the same, then I can deal with it.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    edited February 2018

Last time I checked, Teva still manufacturer the generic and Mayne was the owner/distributor. If a forumulation changes, the numbers on the pill have to change as well. The number uniquey identifies that pill, and only that pill. From my understanding, the ownership/distribution pipeline changes frequently for generics.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 552
    edited February 2018

My Rx bottles sometimes say Mayne, and sometimes say Teva. I haven't noticed a difference in side effects either way, and the pills look the same.

• exercise_guru
    exercise_guru Member Posts: 333
    edited February 2018

I had the high side effects from the teva brand in the past and so I switched to the mylan brand. I even changed the pharmacy do I could get it.

• AnnN
    AnnN Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2018

shegb16, How are you doing? Have you changed your brand and have less SEs? I seem to have worsening SEs whenever pharmacy switches brand. I do best on Watson now distributed by Actavis.

• Paco
    Paco Member Posts: 53
    edited May 2018

I have only been taking Tamox for about two weeks but I have four months of pills in my nightstand. Mine are manufacturered by Watson / Distributed by Actavis Pharma and they have WPI 2233 on them.

So far, no SEs but I understand it's early either way.

• rgoossen
    rgoossen Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2018

Hello, I am going to start my tamoxifen on 5/17 the day after my last radiation. I picked up my med today, manufactured by Mayne. I have been also reading the threads on BCO to gain information on this part of my treatment. I will post more after I start with SE's I experience.

• BucsGirl
    edited May 2018

Well, I'm still getting the same crappy side effects with the switch from Teva to Mayne. As Michelle mentioned, it's the same formulation. Nothing has changed for me. 

Which pharmacies carry the Mylan and Watson brand? I may change to a different generic based on what I've read from you all so far. 

Nothing seems to help with my hot flashes/night sweats. I've been taking Magnesium Glycinate (Kal brand) twice a day for 6 months. It does nothing for that particular side effect (or I should say nothing for me). It may be helping with the leg cramps, but it's hard to tell. I've taken Vitamin E, and that doesn't help. I've read that sage tea supposedly helps with hot flashes. I bought some of that tea to try it out. That didn't work either. Maybe it has to be a stronger tea.

If anything, I think my body is getting used to waking up 3 or 4 times a night. I'm hoping the SEs subside after another year of Tamoxifen. My oncologist told me today that I may be able to switch over to an AI in another 6 months. I'm just not sure I want to do that yet. We'll see how it goes.

• Egads007
    Egads007 Member Posts: 474
    edited May 2018

Bucsgirl - just thought I’d throw this out there, could you consider switching to magnesium citrate instead of the Glycinate? I did and the 3-4 nightly wake up sessions have ceased, and I’m sleeping so much better. Citrate is also adsorbable, however it can cause diarrhea if you have any tummy issues. It didn’t for me which is strange as I have mild UC that’s in remission. Again, just throwing it out there.

• BucsGirl
    edited May 2018

Egads - Yes, I'll try anything at this point. I've heard that some of the magnesium supplements cause a laxative effect. Hopefully this one won't have that side effect on me. Hey, I'm all about trying new things. Thanks for the heads up!

The only other alternative I have right now is wearing this silly little O2Cool fan around my neck. LOL! It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so loud. 

• Egads007
    edited May 2018

Bucsgirl - stick with the magnesium, you might take flight with the fan LOL!!

Best luck with it all!

• BucsGirl
    edited May 2018

LOL, it certainly does sound like a jet propeller. Too funny! Fortunately, I only wear it when I'm on the elliptical. 

I took the magnesium citrate about an hour ago. I hope it works.

Thanks! I need all the luck I can get. Loopy

• Egads007
    edited May 2018

BucsGirl - I have heard of the O2cool but never had seen one. I popped out earlier to pick up something from the pharmacy (minutes after posting to you) and what should I spy on display but the fan, along with the portable water spray O2Cool in the sunscreen aisle... I LOL’d. I must have appeared a little crazy, people moved away from me...which made me laugh again. All I could picture was taking flight. It looked like something I i could use during cardio, can’t wait to try it out. So glad you brought it up!

Crossing my fingers for your tummy and a you getting a good nights sleep. If you don’t have problems with the tummy you should notice a difference within a few days.

• ThreeC
    ThreeC Member Posts: 70
    edited May 2018

OK Ladies, I have two cancer diagnosis that require hormone replacement Brand( Synthroid) or hormone suppression. (Tamoxifen-Watson originally now Mylan)

I have a note on record stating "fill as stated no substitutions for my Synthroid. I have terrible SE's from the generic versions due to various fillers. I still periodically get a generic when someone makes an error. Then I am stuck taking it until that fill is over.

Tonight, I started reading all your posts on SE's due to different manufacturers with Tamoxifen. Guess what I found. My dizziness started at the same time as my last refill in April. Well-my Tamoxifen was switched from Watson to Mylan. I now wonder if I have been drowning myself with liquids, when the cause could be my sensitivity to inactive ingredients. I can't imagine how to get a handle on this type problem with so many issues.

BucsGirl- There are lots of types of magnesium. Magnesium Citrate is one that can cause diarrhea. It is the one you drink bottles of, when you are prepping for a colonoscopy. If you are constipated it might help in that area with small dosage. Magnesium maleate, Magnesium L-Threonate(known to cross the brain barrier and increase brain health)and magnesium Glycinate are other forms that help with muscle spasms,cramps, etc. The one not usually recommended I believe is Magnesium Oxide. There is also mention of taking regular Claritin with AL's to help with muscle cramps. It was magic for me. I can get out of bed and don't walk like I'm 100 when I remember to take it. Not all vitamin supplements are created equal. They are not reviewed by the FDA. It's a lot of work but I suggest you read up on magnesium and I do suggest your source be in capsule form, liquid or powder. According to a magnesium group I follow, Caplet's have been known to not dissolve and cause gut issues.Amazon has a wide variety of brands, but try to stick with ones with the least amount of fillers. Good luck!

• BucsGirl
    edited May 2018

Egads - I'm laughing just reading your post. Yes, it was right next to the spray bottle. It looks so silly but it feels nice and cool on my neck when it's running. Oh, and I didn't have any tummy issues. I've taken 2 since yesterday. I'll give it a couple of weeks. Thanks again!

ThreeC - I've done a lot of research on various supplements since my diagnosis. I didn't want to try magnesium citrate at the time because of the big "D"... lol. I figured I had enough side effects. Now, I'm on board with it. It does say that it has a higher absorption rate than other types of magnesium. After speaking with my oncologist yesterday, I'm not as worried about the other ingredients. She said that I don't need to be worried about soy, turmeric, or vitamin E. This particular one is a softgel and contains soy. I didn't have my glasses with me so I couldn't read the fine print on the bottle. I would have normally avoided soy capsules, but I was too focused on trying to find the right magnesium supplement. Oh well. It's not going to hurt me to take this for 30 days and then move on to a different brand (if needed).

BTW, I see you live in Bartow. I actually passed through your city a couple of months ago on our way to Bok Tower Garden in Lake Wales. It's a small world.

• sg751
    sg751 Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2018

Hi shebg16 -- I've had the same issues and I finally, after spending a long time speaking with a pharmacist, found out the problem.... yes, Mayne purchased Teva's tamoxifen forumula, and they still make that (or still distribute it anyway, under the Mayne brand). But Mayne also has a different formula of Tamoxifen that is sold. So if your pharmacy fills your prescription with the Mayne generic, you could be getting different pills different times. The "Teva formula" Mayne pills have 93-782 on them and have a different NDC number, so you have to ask your pharmacist to look them up and make sure you're getting the right one.

I was able to fill my prescription in February from Express Scripts (my online pharmacy/benefits provider) with the Teva formula Mayne-generic and it is exactly like the original Teva in terms of side effects. I'm due for a refill, and I'm going to call to speak with a pharmacist and have the fill the prescription while on the phone with me to make sure I get the same one again.

Good luck!

• ThreeC
    ThreeC Member Posts: 70
    edited May 2018

BucsGirl-It is a small world. My grandparents lived in Tampa. Whenever I fly or get over to the International Mall, I stop at LaTerasita on Columbus Drive for "A Real Pressed Cuban" with plantains and casava on the side. If it's a trip to see family, I've been known to arrive with the meal in my suitcase!

Bok Tower is a wonderful place to have nearby...so beautiful. I've been to several weddings there and they have wonderful summer programs for kids.

Got an appointment tomorrow with my BS to go over my Mammogram from March where they "saw something different from my previous one, that is probably benign". I absolutely hate waiting, watching & worrying. Hopefully she will relieve my mind.

• BucsGirl
    edited May 2018

Hope all went well with the mammogram findings. I have an appointment tomorrow for that. I'm hoping all is well.

Yes, La Teresita makes some really good Cuban sandwiches. There's also a place near it called Florida Bakery. They have really good guava pastries and napoleons (and much more).

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited May 2018

I have been on Tamoxifen since Jan 2012. For the first 18 months I was on Mylan brand tamoxifen, side effects were; blurred vision, insomnia, hot flashes, night sweats, bone and joint pain, mood swings and the newest hypertriglyceridemia. After 18 months of Mylan that brand was temporarily discontinued, pharmacy placed me on Watson/Actavis (now Teva) same but much worse side effects and it cause my right shoulder to freeze. The I was placed on the Teva brand slightly better than Watson/Actavis, then Mylan started manufacturing Tamoxifen again so CVS has seriously gone out of their way to make sure I have that brand only. My oncologist, said that my body processes Tamoxifen very very well, and that changing brand can cause different or worsen side effects. Also with the hypertriglyceridemia I can't take the statins or fibrates they attack my nerves and muscles to the point I couldn't walk for 4 days, so now the have me on Lovaza (prescription fish oil, tried otc fish oil didn't work in lowering triglycerides but the prescription fish oil has done it's fishy little job)

• Blair2
    Blair2 Member Posts: 353
    edited June 2018

Bucsgirl - ThreeC - I’m in Lakeland. Small world all right.

Just started Tamoxifen a week and half ago and I’m experiencing vertigo as I wake up. I’m going to see if it continues, so will give it through the weekend. I did report it to my OM’s nurse, but she didn’t say that I should quit taking it. My generic brand is Mylan. I get it through my mail order RX, so doesn’t cost me anything under my Medicare plan.

Have any of you experienced dizziness just upon waking up with this drug

• Jessejo76
    Jessejo76 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2018

ok, this is weird I know, but I'm actually worried that the new script I got is not working cuz my SE all went away after pharm changed brands lol! It never occurred to me to rejoice about no SE, it just made me worry that the drug was crap. Old bottle said watson, new bottle says teva. Very different looking pills from each other. Glad i got some perspective from all of you! I'm still settling into life after treatments and every little thing makes me worry.

• NM71
    NM71 Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2018

I’ve been on tamoxifen. For almost 3 years. I did have some SEs when I got Mayne a couple of months ago, even thoug they had Teva caps ,still 93 782 for the number.. tried researching what 20mg base means, which is what they show on maynes site, the pictures of the bottles. The guy I talked to didn’t know, and I haven’t found anything. So perhaps different fillers. I seem to be adjusting now

I don’t think ER% has much to do, I am 100%, from all these notes I think younger , premenopausal, people have more effects. I am not young, and seem to have less SE, or that could be that I already had hot flashes, poor sleep before, even though I am a young 72.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 732
    edited March 2019

Thank you so much to everyone in these threads. I just spoke with Express Scripts and they are sending a different brand for me to try (switching from Mayne to Mylan) and they said if that doesn't work, call again and we will try the other options.

I had been feeling really daunted and wondering if I had to give up tamoxifen completely, but your posts give me hope that playing with the brands will lead to one that I can tolerate.

• Yogijen
    Yogijen Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2019

I’m not sure which manufacturer of Tamoxifen I took for my first 2 months but at week 5 I started with the hot flashes. Not fun!

Picked up my 3rd month and I noticed a different pill. Didn’t think anything of it until week 2 when I noticed NO hot flashes! I then double checked the pill identification. Which led me to a google search, which led me here! Aaaah, so I’m not going crazy!

I just sent in for a 90 day supply. Let’s hope I get the same Mayne brand....

• lavidavegan
    lavidavegan Member Posts: 1

I'm getting ready to start Tamoxifen and I'm wondering about what brand to take. The last post here was in 2019. Can anyone share their experiences with what the best/worst brands were for them?