Topic: Has anyone quit or reduced dosage of the hormonal therapy?

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After — This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Jul 21, 2019 01:02PM - edited Jul 21, 2019 01:03PM by sumomo

Posted on: Jul 21, 2019 01:02PM - edited Jul 21, 2019 01:03PM by sumomo

sumomo wrote:

I am considering to quit, after taking Tamoxifen for a year, Letrozole for three months, then Exemestane for a month. Side effects, especially joint pains and fatigue, get worse and worse and have come to the point to make me think if I should quit. Or, would there be any option of reducing dosage, like taking every other day?

If anyone has been through the same situation, I would appreciate any comment. Thank you!

Page 90 of 90 (893 results)

Nov 11, 2022 06:18PM lillyishere wrote:

anmyd, I was told by my MO that exemestane is the easiest of 3 AI. I don't know why don't they offer it as the first treatment. Probably, letrozole is more powerful.

nomeds, I agree with you. Cancer meds are very harsh but some of us have to take them. If I was stage I and that has not spread to lymph nodes, I would consider not taking the meds however, many of us are in stages where cancer has spread and we want to reduce the recurrence as much as possible.

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2019 Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Surgery 9/1/2019 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 9/1/2019 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2019 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2019 Femara (letrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Dx LCIS/ILC, Both breasts, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 14, 2022 11:58AM - edited Nov 14, 2022 12:32PM by jayelbee

Had not heard of exemestane so glad to learn of it. Have been on AI's since 7/2020 and have a prolapsed urethra (PU), most likely from AI, at age 61. Ugh, urinary urgency and tenderness. Anyone else on HT dealing with PU? Doctors normally treat PU with estrogen but my cancer was 99% ER + so doctors do not prescribe it. Considering reducing my AI dose (maybe everyother day?) or maybe a switch. Was on Arimidex from 7/2020 but had a lot of joint pain so switched to Femara in 9/2021 which has been better for joints. Doing kegels daily but suspect that they are no match for an AI. Anyone else have relief with reduced dose?

Surgery 10/1/2019 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 12/15/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 5/15/2020 Whole breast: Right breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 7/1/2020 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 23, 2022 11:06AM kampiecutie wrote:

Your post was so interesting! I love how you concluded it as either way it is so hard. When I took Arimidex for 5 years 18 years ago, it was hard…especially the first year. It did get easier…and I do think it helped. Then it was scary to stop it…I felt like I was without anything to prevent! Now I have begun Femara…and I’m back to the worry of side affects. I’ll keep going and see how it goes.

Page 90 of 90 (893 results)

Scroll to top button