Join Us

We are 218,032 members in 84 forums discussing 160,858 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Bone health on AI

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications. Note: Please remember that there are good experiences and bad with ALL treatments and this is a safe place to share YOUR experience, not to be influenced or influence others.

Posted on: Nov 28, 2019 05:50PM

Stage2ire wrote:

Hi

Just wondering if anyone on here knows if it's essential to supplement calcium?

I take aromasin daily, monthly zoladex and zometa infusion every 6 months. I've been very sporadic about taking calcium and haven't taken out at all in a few months now.

Is it essential? I take vit d, eat pretty well and walk a lot. Not much dairy in diet though

Any thoughts really appreciated

Dx 6/27/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 2/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/24/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Surgery Mastectomy: Right

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Nov 28, 2019 09:28PM Claire_in_Seattle wrote:

Ten years later, I still take Vitamin D and Calcium supplements. I also make sure that I get in a ton of weight bearing exercise. I did 5 years of AIs and ended up with normal bone density. I am a tea drinker, and this is with whole milk. I also take milk or cream in coffee.

Good work on the walking.

I didn't do any of the bone-building infusions, so can't help you there. I will say however that once you are past all the breast cancer treatment, you need to think about bone health. I have seen what happens when bones aren't strong which is a series of broken bones for minor falls. Very, very painful and life-limiting.

Make sure that you do all the building blocks for bone health. If you really want good intel on this topic, check with a dietitian. Your health service should be able to help you out here. Good luck and congrats on being at this point. - Claire

p.s. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Completed all treatment (AC +T, lumpectomy, radiation and 5 years of AIs - anastrazole). Now celebrating every single day for the wonderful life I have been granted. Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH)

Nov 28, 2019 10:36PM bcincolorado wrote:

When I went on letrozole (Femara) i developed osteopenia quite a bit and labs showed calcium in my blood from my bones. I had to take double the amount of calcium each day and start Prolia. I kept it up until I was able to stop letrozole. I also increased walking each day to ensure up and weight baring on my hips each day which is where DEXA scan showed a lot of weakness. I also shrunk 2" while on it over a period of 4 years.

Everyone is different on how they react to medications though. I personally HATE milk and always did. Did not eat a ton of cheese. Just took extra supplements. Anything is better than cancer as far as I'm concerned!! Happy Thanksgiving.

Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/7/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2010 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/30/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 2, 2019 10:33PM Daylightdancer666 wrote:

Hey all

As my cancer has spread to the bones and back. The I have been offered bond injection used for osteoporosis however I've only had it once since June as that is because rest time my calcium has been too low I was taking calcium d3 which kept my levels up once got injection ND this was couple months ago though was taking thrn I remained low do between discussion between my dad and oncologist was decided I try what my dad has cacit tablet which dissolve on water and drink it I have trice day I drink it then have tablets morning and then night helps me remember. I they decided this see if was absorbed better find out next week xxx

Feb 17, 2020 10:27AM Coconut_mom1 wrote:

Dear stage2ire

I have almost completed my 5 years of Anatrozle treatment. I was put on actonel because of osteopenia. I am having numerous Utis. I think it is the bone medication. I feel right now I can no longer take the medication. I also fee like stopping Anatrozle because of my bones at the end of the treatment in a few months. I am completely frustrated

Lobular carcinoma stage Ii chemo diagnosed 2015

Sep 17, 2020 12:54PM Tiny2261 wrote:

My doc has me on calcium and 5000 it of vitamin D.He seemed to be very concerned about my bone density.I feel better taking my vitamins. Either way can't hurt .

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)