Join Us

We are 219,486 members in 84 forums discussing 161,542 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Hot Flashes in the Covid-19 World

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

Hormonal therapy medicines can be used to lower the risk of early-stage hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer from coming back, shrink or slow the growth of advanced-stage or metastatic hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers, and lower the risk of developing breast cancer in certain women who are at high risk. They work by lowering the amount of estrogen in the body or by blocking the effect of estrogen on breast cancer cells.

There are several hormonal therapy medicines, including, tamoxifen (Nolvadex, Soltamox), Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), and Femara (letrozole).

Hormonal therapy is usually prescribed for multiple years. Common side effects include hot flashes, joint pain, fatigue, and bone thinning.

Note: This is a safe place to share YOUR experience, not to be influenced or influence others. Please contact your doctor about any questions or concerns you may have if you are currently taking hormonal therapy.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jun 15, 2020 12:28AM - edited Jun 15, 2020 12:29AM by inccmd

inccmd wrote:

I've run into a new wrinkle in the era of Covid-19 that I wonder who else has. I am on Tamoxifen, and I have those hot flashes especially during and after exertion. The other day, when I had to enter a government building, I was in the middle of a hot flash after climbing a bunch of stairs. It was mild, but when they took my forehead temp, it read 99.2. It's not really a fever, but it's elevated. I know that my internal temperature was perfectly fine, and the person who took the temperature believed me when I told him it was related to medication I was on.

Some of the temperature takers for that building are sticklers, and I am a bit worried that I will have to go through a gatekeeper who won't accept a 99.2 forehead temperature reading. Is it paranoid to think I should carry a thermometer around in case I need to prove myself?

What is the forehead temperature taking going to do for all the women who suffer from hot flashes either related to medication or to menopause?

Dx 4/25/2017, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/24/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/31/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Jun 15, 2020 12:51AM YesIamaDragon wrote:

Yeah, the non-touch temp sensors only get surface temp, which for many reasons may not correlate with internal temperature at all.

I got a laugh when I saw the local university as part of its daily screens for anyone coming on campus is asking, "have you FELT feverish" in the last 24 hours.

Um, only about 3 times an hour!

Dx 6/2019, IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy Targeted Therapy Kadcyla (T-DM1, ado-trastuzumab) Surgery Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Jun 16, 2020 07:28AM Ladyofthelake wrote:

I work in a hospital, and we get temp checked every time we enter the building. One day recently I decided to go out for a walk, to see the blue sky during my lunch break. When it was time to go back in and my temp was taken I was 100.9 Loopy. I had to stand in front of a giant fan they had there for a few minutes before it came down and I was allowed back in.

ADH found on left side after prophylactic mastectomy Dx 10/15/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 1/22/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 3/6/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jun 16, 2020 11:41PM inccmd wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I guess the good thing is that those flashes don't last too long, and the temp goes back to normal. Thanks for laughs - I needed them.

Dx 4/25/2017, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/24/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/31/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 16, 2020 04:26AM - edited Jul 16, 2020 04:26AM by IBJUSTFINE67

Yes, me too!! All of this!

Colleen Shaw Dx 7/9/2019, IDC, Right, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 7/19/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/12/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Aug 3, 2020 01:34AM PurpleCat wrote:

Me too, although in my case it's Femara and absence of ovaries.

Dx 10/2018, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/4/2018 Lumpectomy Surgery 10/18/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 3, 2020 01:38AM inccmd wrote:

I was speaking with a friend yesterday, and she too suffers it. So far, it hasn't kept me out buildings. I did see that the temperature they won't let you in at is 100.4, and so far, I've never been higher on the forehead than 99.9.

Aug 4, 2020 08:28AM quinnie wrote:

This post is great. I also have hot flashes since taking Letrozole and when I had my temp checked today when taking my Mom to her MD appt. It was 99.0. I was sweating and told them I was flashing!!!! I hate that I have hot flashes again. I really have a hard time with the summer heat, wearing masks and hot flashing. I went to the grocery store and was so miserable I thought I was going to have a panic attack. UGH: only 4 years, 11 more months of this.

Dx 11/30/2007, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR- Dx 2/26/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 5/14/2020 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 5/25/2020 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)