Join Us

We are 218,032 members in 84 forums discussing 160,858 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Lupron shortage

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

Risks and benefits, side effects, and costs of anti-estrogen medications. Note: Please remember that there are good experiences and bad with ALL treatments and this is a safe place to share YOUR experience, not to be influenced or influence others.

Posted on: Aug 17, 2020 10:56AM

meistere wrote:

I showed up to my cancer center today for my monthly Lupron shot and they said there is a current shortage and probably wouldn't have it for a year. They told me I had to do Zolodex which has left me with scars and scar tissue b/c it's like being shot with a bb gun in your stomach. I switched to Lupron which is a 10 sec shot in the bootie and about 100x better. Does anyone know of any alternatives to the Lupron shot? I was doing the generic LEUPROLIDE ACETATE.

Dx 2/11/2016, LCIS/ILC/IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/15/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/26/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 10/31/2016 Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 3/28/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Aug 17, 2020 12:58PM FarAwayToo wrote:

I'm sorry you are facing this issue. I was doing Lupron for 6 months, and it was doable, then I got my ovaries removed.

This FDA Drug Shortages website says only 3 months shots are not available: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/dsp_ActiveIngredientDetails.cfm?AI=Leuprolide+Acetate+Injection&st=c&tab=tabs-3&i=14&panel=14

I would be curious to see if other women, who are currently on monthly Lupron respond here. Perhaps the hiccup is just at your facility?

On that page I linked above there is a phone number for the company who I assume is the manufacturer. I would call and try to understand how to get the drug. Sometimes you need to do your own leg work, as frustrating as it is.

Dx 8/31/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS, Left, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/29/2017 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/22/2018 Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery 2/27/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 2/27/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 4/4/2018 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 8/20/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant

Aug 18, 2020 02:06PM - edited Aug 18, 2020 02:06PM by meistere

Thank you for your reply. I actually called the manufacturer as you suggested and they confirmed that they do not have a shortage. After doing a little digging and asking more direct questions I discovered that my cancer center (Moffitt in Tampa, FL - I'm happy to throw them under the bus for this) uses a 3rd party for their drug acquisition and THAT company was having a shortage. The cancer center is tied to the policy of only using that drug company and not using my specialty insurance company to get it when something like this happens. I'm pissed b/c I received no heads up on that RX change until I showed up for the appointment. I've been scrambling for the last 48 hours to find another doctor to both call in the order and receive the medication at their facility. Even my OBGYN said they need to have a consult about it and then order the drug (about 2-3 weeks for consult+order). Gotta love that red tape! 🤬

Dx 2/11/2016, LCIS/ILC/IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/15/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/26/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 10/31/2016 Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 3/28/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Sep 18, 2020 02:09AM - edited Sep 19, 2020 11:10AM by macrisdc

This Post was deleted by macrisdc.

Sep 18, 2020 10:19AM Moderators wrote:

Dear macrisdc,

Welcome to the BCO community. Thank you for contributing to this discussion. Keep us posted on what you learn and how you are. Let us know how we can best help you navigate your way around.

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)