Join Us

We are 224,428 members in 83 forums discussing 163,549 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Hormone therapy question

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Oct 13, 2021 07:29PM

marinochka wrote:

Hello, dear All

I want to ask question for my friend, who lives in Eastern Europe.

She was diagnosed 2 years ago with breast cancer, stage 2B, hormones +. She had left breast mastectomy, chemo and radiation.

She is now 62 years old. She tried tamoxifen for a while, but after that switched to Anastrozole.

She is diabetic for more than 10 years, and has blood pressure issues(before breast cancer diagnosis).

After few months taking anastrozole, her blood pressure is out of control even with medication, sugar is up also.

Does anyone have those issues. I have read here about sugar elevation, bone/muscle pain, but I did not hear about blood pressure issues.

Today there was a consultations with a team of doctors for her. And decision is to stop Anastrozole without any substitution.

I am very worried about her. I hope something can be done in this case instead of just not taking anything.

Please let me know if anyone had similar situation and what was the solution?

thank you!

Dx 11/4/2019, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR- Surgery 12/19/2019

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Oct 13, 2021 09:04PM kathabus wrote:

Hi--

I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this....if it were me, I would ask if I could take Tamoxifen.

Diagnosed at 43 Years Old, Oncotype DX 10 Dx 2/17/2020, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/23/2020 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 5/14/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 7/20/2020 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 8/20/2020 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 13, 2021 10:21PM bcincolorado wrote:

The main site here has a good chart with all side effects for all of the hormonal meds if you have not seen it. I know I found it helpful myself. https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/comp_chart

Dx 8/2009, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/6/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/14/2010 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/29/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 14, 2021 11:39AM marinochka wrote:

thank you for your answers!

I hope anyone else will give some input on this issue

Oct 14, 2021 12:13PM CBK wrote:

My blood pressure went through the roof on anastrozole. I was placed on a calcium channel blocker and it went back in normal range. Anastrozole is known to elevate blood pressure and I continue to take it with blood pressure med (benicar).

Dx 3/26/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/11/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 7/22/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/25/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 2/18/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 4/9/2018 Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Silicone implant Surgery 9/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 4/3/2019 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant

Oct 14, 2021 04:20PM - edited Oct 14, 2021 04:30PM by marinochka

thank you CBK, it is very helpful

did you have high blood pressure before anastrozole? did you take any medication for blood pressure before?

because my friend was already on some type of medication, but now she takes double dose, and with anatrazole, blood pressure is still not under control.

10 hours ago MicheleH57 wrote:

So glad to find this topic and comments! I had high(er) BP before my BC diagnosis. So have been taking 25 mg of hydrochlorothiazide and 50 mg of atenolol.

But since I started anastrozole, it is nuts! I take my BP at home and it is 130/90 or so, and some days it is about 140/90.

BUT I go to a doctor appointment and it's like 160 or 170. And the med tech who takes the BP is ANGRY AT ME! I have assumed it's classic "white coat syndrome" because the doctor now is not my friend at all (even knowing what I'm up against with cancer, but this is not a happy place) and the examining room is cold and bright and has lots of sharp edges. Wonderful ambiance.

I wondered if the hormone therapy had something to do with it, but didn't even know how to ask!

Something to bring up with the oncologist for sure.

I was thinking that this is all on ME and my "fault," so if I could figure out how to lose 10 or 20 pounds (a good move, anyway), it'd help the BP.

And keep the med tech from being so flip and sighing with disappointment after taking my BP.

The oncologist has not addressed my weight directly or the high BP. Not yet. But I know it's coming.

I am exercising and working on breathing exercises to try and lower the BP. What I do need to do is just eat less. In November I'll finally get a consultation with a nutritionist to discuss how I can get the best nutrition BUT also cut the food intake and by how much. I'm am taking a multivitamin with D3 and lots of calcium already.

Yeah, this is a far distance from the surgery and recovery portion of this "cruise" when I was encouraged to snack (!) [altho the foods on the list were high protein for healing.]

Dx 10/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

9 hours ago marinochka wrote:

MicheleH57

My friend with BP issue -she is not overweight at all. She eats well. she is also diabetic, so it makes follow the diet.

And still her BP is high even with medication when she takes Anatrasole.

8 hours ago - edited 8 hours ago by Olma61

When I started on hormone therapy (anastrozole) my blood pressure was controlled with a moderate dose of Losartan HCTZ. After a year, I had to go up to the highest dose, then they added another drug. My BP was still too high after a few months. I saw a cardiologist, changed drugs, and now with two drugs at highest dose BP is under control.

Both my onc and the cardiologist say it's not due to anastrozole but other sources say anastrozole can cause hypertension, including an article on this very website -

https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/side_effects/high_blood_press

my glucose readings are also higher than before

I am 4 years older nowand am on two other cancer drugs, one of which can cause high BP ... so can't definitively blame anastrozole but...it is a possibility

10/30/2017 Xgeva for bone mets 5/31/2018 Taxol finished! "If one just keeps on walking, everything will be all right” - Kierkegaard Dx 8/3/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 10/28/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/28/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/30/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 5/14/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/30/2019 External: Bone

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)