Join Us

We are 224,981 members in 83 forums discussing 163,825 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Letrozole joint pain side effect

Forum: Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After —

This is a safe place to share your experiences of others considering or on hormonal treatment.

Posted on: Nov 23, 2021 05:29PM

AB3055 wrote:

I have been on Letrozole for five months and the joint pain is bad. Doctor told me to give it six months for side effects to get better. Anyone else have the same joint pain and it got better

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Nov 23, 2021 08:22PM FarAwayToo wrote:

My joint and muscle aches all improved gradually over the course of 12-18 months. I've been on letrozole for 3.5 years now, and besides some morning stiffness and occasional ache, I don't experience much of these SE anymore.

I think my oncologist actually gave me the time between 6 to 12 month as the period of the worst side effects, saying it would likely improve after a year. She was pretty on the money in my case.

Dx 8/31/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS, Left, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/29/2017 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/23/2018 Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery 2/28/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 2/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 4/5/2018 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 8/21/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant

Nov 24, 2021 07:29AM ThreeTree wrote:

Sorry to be the downer here, but I've been on Letrozole for almost 2 years now (2 in Jan 22) and my side effects have not improved. They do fluctuate however, in nature and intensity. I take turmeric, SAM-E, and frankincense (Boswellia) capsules that all help the joint aches quite a bit. If I ever stop any of them for any reason, I get achier than ever. Some do Tylenol and Aleve, etc., but I just didn't want to go that route, as most over the counter stuff doesn't agree with me, especially since Letrozole.

Some do say they get better though, so do hang in there and see what works for you. I just don't like that some doctors seem to think that is true for everyone. Even though mine have not improved, there are many who have a different experience. So sorry that you've got this problem!

Nov 24, 2021 03:17PM Motown555 wrote:

I, too, am struggling with severe lower extremity muscle and joint pain on letrozole. Nothing seems to help. My oncologist suggested fish oil, but that has made no difference.

Has anyone had to switch from letrozole to tamoxifen due to muscle/joint aches

Nov 24, 2021 06:32PM Moderators wrote:

Welcome, Motown555! We're so sorry to hear you're struggling, we know how difficult managing the side effects can be. We hope you find support and guidance here!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Nov 24, 2021 06:43PM Spookiesmom wrote:

I was on arimadex for 4 years, I thought the joint pain would put me in a chair. Switched to tamoxifen, same thing. Horrible foot pain. Was really afraid to start letrozole. Had some minor pain, went away, hasn’t come back in 2 years.

We all react differently to the various meds. Try another, maybe it will be better. You won’t know unless you try it

First time IDGgrade 3, stage 3. Second time, found lump myself. That made me stage 4. Dx IDC, Stage IIIA, Grade 3

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)