Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Increased blood pressure....

annlat
annlat Member Posts: 25

Hi all

I have been taking anastrozole for about 9 months and have had increasing blood pressure since then. I don't know if it's the anastrozole causing this, but I've never had blood pressure problems. Has anyone else had this?

Comments

• Yuuki
    Yuuki Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2022

Hi, annlat,

I see it's been a while since you posted and I hope things are back under control. I had a slow steady increase of blood pressure on anastrozole which spiked rapidly on exemestane (I had switched due to joint pain). Getting off the exemestane helped in the sense that I was able to bring it under control with a combination of beta blockers and an ARB inhibitor, but it's never gone away entirely. I suspect with me, some of it is genetics. The good news is the blood pressure meds don't have many side effects for me...other than feeling old every time I open my medicine cabinet.

I hope you have found a good solution,

Yuuki

• annlat
    annlat Member Posts: 25
    edited May 2022

Thank you so much for the answers!. I have taken my blood pressure several times, not at the doctor, and it seems to fluctuate a good bit. Of course at the doctor I know it will be higher. I found it it was also high at the dentist. I'm assuming the oncologist and the dentist contribute to my hypertension! And I know that's normal. I'm trying to get used to the fact that I am 63 and things aren't like they used to be. So far I have not needed any meds and they told me just to keep an eye on it. I hate to take anymore medicine I have to, but I know that's an option. I could have a genetic factor with my blood pressure also. My mother had high blood pressure with no apparent risk factors. So for now, I'm trying to get used to the fact that I'm a post-menopausal woman dealing with changes in my body. Ugh! I hope you are well.

Ann

• scaredme
    scaredme Member Posts: 65
    edited May 2022

I've been taking Letrozole for a year and yes, I have noticed an increase in my BP. Mine used to be 110/70 and is now more like 130/80.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,588
    edited May 2022

I love how they call you back to the exam room, weigh you, then immediately take your BP. Sheesh, if they'd let me sit for a minute it will come down. A few times, it's been high, and I ask them to re-take it. It's almost always down after I've sat for a minute. I hear it helps if your legs are uncrossed and you are not talking while they're taking your BP. I also try to do a bit of deep, slow breathing before they take it. It seems to help. Do you have a home BP monitor?

Carol