Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Does tamoxifen prevent Mets ?

Options

hello everyone, does tamoxifen prevent metastatis? Does it prevent bone Mets ? Could you please share any studies or articles? Any help is truly appreciated! Thank you !

Comments

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

Perhaps you should ask your oncologist about tamoxifen, if that's what's been prescribed for you as an anti-hormonal. The purpose of all anti-hormonal drugs is to reduce the chance of recurrence or metastatic spread, but of course there are no guarantees. Also, if you use the search feature here, you'll find a huge number of posts about percentage of risk based on age, cancer type, oncotype score, and the type of anti-hormonal drugs.

• obsolete
    obsolete Member Posts: 333
    Options

FEMARA HELPS PROTECT AGAINST RETURN OF BREAST CANCER EVEN WHEN TREATMENT STARTS SEVERAL YEARS AFTER COMPLETING TAMOXIFEN THERAPY

Released: 10-Mar-2008

Source Newsroom: Novartis Pharmaceuticals

"More than 50% of breast cancer recurrences & deaths occur 5 or more years after completing tamoxifen treatment. 1 Femara is the only drug in the aromatase inhibitor class with data showing its potential to reduce the risk of breast cancer returning, even when started several years after initial treatment with tamoxifen."

"The analysis shows that women who started Femara several years after completing the recommended five years of tamoxifen reduced their risk of breast cancer coming back by 63% compared to those who did not start Femara. 1 In addition, the risk of cancer spreading to other areas of the body was reduced by 61%."

https://www.newswise.com/articles/femara-helps-pro...

-------------------

10 YEARS OF FEMARA BETTER THAN 5 FOR EARLY-STAGE, HORMONE-RECEPTOR-POSITIVE DISEASE

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/10-yrs-...

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,908
    Options

Hi, prayerful! Check out the following article, from our main site:

Tamoxifen Reduces Recurrence Risk for More Than 10 Years

Hope it helps!

The Mods

• prayerful1979
    prayerful1979 Member Posts: 4
    Options

thank you so much for the info ! I truly appreciate it !

• prayerful1979
    Options

thank you so much for the info. I truly appreciate it!

• prayerful1979
    Options

thank you moderators ! Truly appreciate the help !

• marciam
    marciam Member Posts: 84
    Options

hello dear

No tamoxifen does not prevent Mets . I had a brain met most likely there during stage three treatments. I had a large met yo my brain . I did well using arimedex after brain surgery and radiation- stereotactic type . I was stage 4 and here I am more that ten years out! I was blessed with also using vegan diet and good treatments ! I’m on Evista since I used up my time on Arimedex and needed bone growth . Now I have a large ovarian cyst . They want to remove it but I’m holding out for it to shrink . It’s benign . The Tamoxifen made me very ill and caused serious problems for me . It can cause uterine cancer . I’m hunching that Evista caused my cyst . Anything you take has side effects . You have to watch everything after you take it . Good luck

Marcia

• malebreastc
    malebreastc Member Posts: 89
    Options

I was on Tamoxifen for more than 15 years and was well protected, only after I was asked to stop the drug I had recurrence 3 years later , I think tamoxifen gives wonderful protection long ter

• pirate_girl
    pirate_girl Member Posts: 31
    Options

No, tamoxifen does not prevent mets for everyone -- there is no silver bullet (yet?) for early stage BC or MBC. As you can tell from the thousands of posts on this site, everyone has different experiences with all the different treatments. Tamoxifen can work for many people, but again, it does not work for everyone and is not a guarantee against MBC. When I was diagnosed with early stage BC, I was stage 1, clear margins after lumpectomy, no node involvement, and had an extremely low oncotype score. My MO put me on tamoxifen, and we both expected a good outcome. A year and a half later, I was not feeling well so my internist sent me for a PET scan -- I lit up like a Christmas tree -- extensive bone and liver mets. My MO was as shocked as I was. I say all this not to scare you but to provide a realistic response to your question.