Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tamoxifen Weight Gain HOPE!!!

Options
AmyA
AmyA Member Posts: 10

Hey all.

For my fellow Tamoxifen Weight Gain Sufferers.

I was finally able to go off Tamoxifen after 7 years. During that time, I gained 60 immoveable pounds. It sucked, after Breast Cancer, bunches of surgeries, bunches of complications, to end up so long in a body that just didn't feel like mine. Then...

Huzzah!!! I worked with an endo. After trying Levothyroxine, then Synthroid, then add Metformin (I do have Hashimoto's - I don't have Diabetes), he put me on weekly Ozempic shots. (Trials find that Diabetes shots have excellent weight loss properties for non-Diabetes or pre-diabetes.)

I dropped 24 pounds in 5 weeks. Then after a plateau & higher dose, I've lost 10 more. SW 199. CW 166. GW 150.

It's not a picnic. Totally changes eating habits & needing the bathroom comes w little warning. But it's been a true blessing.

Highly recommend. It really sucked to have YEARS of no hope when, eating like Saint or Sinner, nothing changed. It is sooooo nice to have HOPE back.

All the best to everyone.

💖

Comments

• ashlyn525
    ashlyn525 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2022
    Options

Do you think weight loss is more from medicine helping or going off tamoxifen ?

• quietgirl
    quietgirl Member Posts: 165
    edited August 2022
    Options

Based on the amount of weight loss it might be a combination of things. (Most studies of Ozempic report on average of 9-12 pounds so some people are higher and some lower Also Ozempic is not covered by all insurance plans (because of costs it can require pre approval and since it's not labeled for weight loss might not be covered if that's the primary reason for it ). Wegovy has the same active ingredient as Ozempic but is primarily for weight loss (there are side benefits for both in terms of heart protection/lowering high blood pressure).

Edited to add: I was talking to my pharmacist this morning (I have been on Ozempic for 6 years) and she let me know that there was a shortage currently of Ozempic ( I looked up and they believe that because doctors have been prescribed it for weight lost in patients who have no diabetes or prediabetes (or similar condition) so for what is considered an off label reason demand is outpacing supply) so for anyone looking into this wegovy might be an easier choice to obtain.