Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Does OV suppression ever not work?

ladyc2020
ladyc2020 Member Posts: 87

I called today to request hormone levels to be checked. They were only checked once, a few weeks after starting shots last year. Also wondering if anyone else gets Eligard shots?? Starting to wonder why I’m the only woman I know getting this.

Comments

• ladyc2020

reply to myself to n case someone in the future has the same questions :)

Estradiol level is undetectable, LH is undetectable, FSH is 5.34 which is not considered menopausal. However I have zero estrogen so the shots are working. The FSH level is not abnormal but expected to be highe. Could possibly explain why some days I feel like I may get my period 🤷🏼♀️ OB appointment next week.

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 251

ladyc2020,

I'd guess that someone wouldn't know if infusions work or not if their levels are not checked?

I'm on Zoladex. My levels are tested every 28 days right before I get the Zoladex infusion.

• wondering44

I'm on Zoladex. My levels are checked every 28 days one to two hours before every infusion since I started.

• ladyc2020

Ah is zolodex an infusion? I get Eligard shots each month. I wonder why levels are checked monthly with zolodex and not leuprolide shots? 🤷🏼♀️

• wondering44

ladyc2020,

On MyChart it reads as an infusion. That is how mine is listed.

My appointments are scheduled every 28 days four months in advance. The bloodwork to test my hormone levels is the first appointment, and I wait for an hour and then see the Oncologist. After that appointment, I get the Zoladex.

I am not sure why your levels are not checked. You can ask for clarification for sure. Maybe someone out here can provide clarification on it. I have not heard of the shot you are getting, so I don't have any insight to share on it.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 552

Zoladex is an injection. It's a pellet that's injected, and then slowly dissolves over 28 days.

I've been getting Zoladex shots since February, and they have never checked hormone levels.