Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Quit Tamoxifen Cold Turkey?

Options
marycal
marycal Member Posts: 22

Hello everyone,

Wondering if there are any thoughts on stopping tamoxifen cold turkey vs. tapering off. Is there any evidence of one being better than the other? I'm at 5 years on tamoxifen, just received results from the Breast Cancer Index that said there is no benefit to continuing anti-hormonals, so I'll probably stop taking it. I haven't had a full conversation with my MO about it yet.

I was pre-menopausal when I started and surely am menopausal by now at 52. I haven't had my period in a few years. Has anyone had breakthrough bleeding after discontinuing tamoxifen? Any other side effects?

Lastly, how long does it take for tamoxifen to completely leave your body?

Thank you!

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options
    I stopped and started several times with no problems! I also had periods most of the time I was on it so I don't know how that might work if you stop. No way to know until you do it!
  • marycal
    Options

Thanks to you both for your responses (and the links obsolete). Still thinking about it. :)

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    Options

When they stopped mine before my mastectomy they had me just stop it. I didn't notice any problems with doing that.

• quietgirl
    quietgirl Member Posts: 165
    Options

there are some drugs that are perfectly okay to just stop and many that aren’t Best bet is to ask MO or if you have a pharmacist ( and are not doing things mail order) their options. It’s part of their job to give you info on your meds so make use of the

• marycal
    Options

Thanks everyone for weighing in. Spoke with my MO yesterday and she doesn't see a problem with stopping cold turkey. I'll come back and post if I go through a tough time, just to add another experience to the thread. Best wishes to you all.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

When My MO told me I could quit taking Tamoxifen after 5 years she told to wean myself off the drug and not quit cold turkey so I’m surprised your doctor advised otherwise.

Diane

• marycal
    Options

Hi all, back here to say I've been off tamoxifen for a month and had no issues quiting cold turkey. But again, I have felt no difference being off at all. Still have the same side effects, for ex, still can't sleep, hot flashes. I'm 52, and still trying to figure out where I am in menopause so likely won't totally get away from those side effects. But still, I was hoping for a little positive boost in how I'm feeling. This might be a topic for a different thread, but anyone know if it takes awhile to feel like yourself again after stopping,?

• marycal
    Options

Hi all, back here to say I've been off tamoxifen for a month and had no issues quiting cold turkey. But again, I have felt no difference being off at all. Still have the same side effects, for ex, still can't sleep, hot flashes. I'm 52, and still trying to figure out where I am in menopause so likely won't totally get away from those side effects. But still, I was hoping for a little positive boost in how I'm feeling. This might be a topic for a different thread, but anyone know if it takes awhile to feel like yourself again after stopping,?

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options

I never noticed any difference after stopping. The issues you're having probably aren't related to Tamoxifen.