We are 191,996 members in 81 forums discussing 142,875 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Budwig diet/Flax oil

Topic: Budwig diet/Flax oil

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Jun 8, 2009 02:58PM

janeylena wrote:

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Budwig diet. Would appreciate any experiences as I am awaiting diagnosis and am definitely drawn to alternatives to radiation etc.  Thanks.

Page 1 of 6 (161 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (161 total)

Jun 13, 2009 09:32PM - edited Jun 14, 2009 08:33PM by Leia

I've been on the Budwig FOCC for six months. 

And I feel, just fantastic.

It's just ... incredibly better. How I feel. I would never have thought I could feel this great.

It is truly, amazing.  

Back in August, 2006, when I was diagnosed with my 2cm IDC, I blew off ALL of the "ancillary" treatments. The "radiation" the "Tamoxifen."

I didn't know much, then, but on some basic level, I knew that it was wrong. And rejected, those treatments.

And have NEVER regretted it. Three years later, no cancer recurrence.

And by now, eating the FOCC, I'm doing the best that I can, for myself. And like I said, just feeling SO MUCH better.

I'm really not exaggerating, anything. 

Dx 5/5/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 16, 2009 09:35PM DGHoff wrote:

Hi! I just met a woman last weekend whose father had prostate cancer a few years back. He recently went to the doctor because he was having pain in his back. Tests showed that his cancer had metastasized to his spine. He immediately went on Budwig for about 3 or 4 weeks, and then had a visit back with his oncologist, and the next set of scans showed NOTHING! His doctors just said that the first tests must not have been right, but what else would they say?

Best testimonial I've heard for a treatment. Smile

DeAnn

Dx 6/14/2007, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 7/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 12/23/2015, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/lungs, 7/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 1/7/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/7/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 1/7/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Jun 16, 2009 10:40PM - edited Jun 16, 2009 10:53PM by Leia

DeAnn, I've heard many testimonials, like that. It is amazing.

Yet, you know what? We ARE what we eat. It is as basic, as that. 

The Budwig Protocol is just about that. Eating foods, that heal your body. And the FOCC is a superfood.  That can cure cancer.

It's interesting, to me that when I have my doctor appts they NEVER ask, what I'm eating. Only, the listing of drugs that I take.

Because doctors do not equate disease, with nutrition. They only equate disease, with drugs.  

And despite all of the "Races for the Cure," which have been going on, for decades, what doctor wants to "cure cancer?"

If cancer was cured, what would all of these "oncologists" do? Or the rest of the Medical Industrial Complex, the radiation "techs," the "cancer appt schedulers" the RNs, etc etc etc.  

The Medical Industrial Complex is primed, against "curing" anything.

It's all about the "treatments."  That's where they make the Big $$$. That and the drugs. When if people just ate better, and exercised, we wouldn't need all of these "treatments."

As I've said, I've had two cancers, by now. The breast cancer and the Leiomyosarcoma cancer. And for my part, they were both nothing cancers. But for both, since I had the Regence health care, I was offered MUCHO coverage.

Since 2004, I've been fending off, the "tests."

This is the alternative board. And my choice, to deal with my cancers, is the FOCC. It just makes sense, to me. Eat healthy food, your cancer will not come back. Get radiation and chemotherapy, immune depressing treatments, you're killing your body's defenses to fight, the cancer. You're killing, the cancer, but then, you're also killing, everything else. You're killing yourself. 

That makes no sense to me, at all.  

The FOCC builds up the immune system. So our own, natural immune systems can kill the cancer.

On this board, we're talking about breast cancer. But as humans, we're talking about ANY cancer. We can all get any other body part cancer, at any time. As I have. With the Leiomyosarcoma.

I've already had, two cancers. The FOCC, addresses the reason WHY I got either of those cancers. And I have to address that reason, I was not eating well, before I can even hope to say that I'm "cured."

These "breast cancer treatments" do not address that. The radiation, the drugs, the chemotherapy. They do not look at the root cause. They do not cure, anything. 

The cure for cancer is that we just have to eat better. And for my part, if you've already had multiple cancers, the cure is the FOCC.

DeAnn,just like that guy that you wrote about with the prostate cancer.  

Sorry, all, there ARE no "studies." Proving this. Because, again, who would "study" that? Who profits from if you eat the FOCC, you don't get cancer, at all. Or if you have cancer, it's healed? 

Nobody.

This is a lone road, I travel. Everyone, is against me. I'm sure you all are. Here on this board.

Yet, I feel so GREAT, on the FOCC, I can never go back to that shit food. Which is what most people eat.And then hope that the radiation and the chemotherapy and the Tamoxifen will "cure" them.

NOT for me.  

Jun 18, 2009 03:09PM MBROWNING wrote:

Leia~

I'm curious if you had surgery?  I put mine off twice before finally having it the 3rd time.  I started Budwig on 3/6.  The tumor was bugging the heck out of me (I checked it every day, many times each day to see if it was "gone").  Although I know that it is possible for the cancer cells to completely die off, but leave the tumor in place, I just couldn't stand it.  So, mentally it was just better for me to debulk.  Outside of the surgery, I will have not conventional treatments.  Just Budwig.  I feel wonderful and have lost about 21 pounds. 

Janeylena~

To anyone considering Budwig, here's a good read:  www.naturalnews.com/024339.html and www.naturalnews.com/024719.html .  Budwig is much more than consuming the Flax Oil and Cottage Cheese.  It is really a lifestyle change, including some pretty specific diet restrictions, daily dose of natural sunlight (where possible) and positive thinking/destressing.  I belong to a yahoo mail group that has been a wonderful guide.  You can ask questions, read testimonials, get recipes, etc.  In fact, when you first join, you are sent the step-by-step instructions for following the plan.  I will have to post another message to give you the address and you can go and check it out.  If you're serious about Budwig, it is definitely the best place to go.  Just be warned, the people there are fanatical about the program and they will do everything to encourage  you to follow it to the letter.  But, that's the thing I like about it, you learn to do it right.  And, if you ever have a question, you get alot of good answers/information! 

Best of luck to you.  If you start Budwig, please realize it is tough at first (I thought I would throw up when I tried my first batch, and I have a really strong stomach).  In time, you learn to customize the recipes to your liking and after about 2 weeks you actually crave the stuff and you can really feel it if you miss a dose. 

Dx 2/17/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 18, 2009 03:13PM MBROWNING wrote:

Okay, here's the yahoo group:  www.health.groups.yahoo.com/group/FlaxSeedOil2/

Jun 18, 2009 09:37PM - edited Jun 18, 2009 09:54PM by Leia

Mbrowning, I did have surgery. For both of my cancers. A wide excision with both cancers. With the result being, the cancer cut out, with HUGE margins. 

Although this was WAY before I knew anything about the FOCC. I had the surgery because I was dazed and confused. For my Leio cancer, I was diagnosed on a Friday, and had the wide-excision surgery, the next Tuesday. A longer process, for the Breast Medical Industrial Complex diagnosed  breast cancer that I had.

Yet I agree with you, completely. I could NOT stand to have any cancer, in my body. I'm a total believer, in surgery.

Then, You said, "Outside of the surgery, I will not have conventional treatments."

I will NEVER do that, either. 

From what you said, you feel as good on the Budwig as I do.  

It's hard to explain. You just have to do it. I guess, like you, I just feel so incredibly BETTER. 

For me, it is Night and Day. I'm just so much ... calmer. Which is a large part of the Budwig. In addition, to the food. Less stress. Yet, it's the  FOCC that lets you do that. It is all, intertwined.

We are all made of the food that we eat. Unstressed bodies, eating healthful food, don't get cancer.  

Which before, was NOT me. I was the stress ... QUEEN. But, no more. 

And I think that's where people need to go. It's your body. It's YOUR body. 

From the first suggestion of this "Whole Breast Radiation," I was like ... what? WHY do I need that? And nobody could give me an answer, except for quoting some 30 year old study. When it became the "standard of care." Which means, if they offer that, and you refuse, you can't sue them. 

I didn't do it. I looked into it, NOT for me. The Tamoxifen? NOT for me.

Budwig? Which addresses the basic CAUSE of cancer? It took  me awhile, but that IS the answer, for me. 

I don't need a "study" when it's just basic, common sense. Plus, the Budwig plan is based on scientific evidence. Just no evidence anyone wanted to "study" because there was no $$$ to be had. If it were proved, correct. In fact, mucho $$$$ to be lost, for all of these current cancer "treatments." 

Which for Stage 1 cancers, like me and Mbrowning had are just bullshit.  

Eating cheap flax seed oil and cottage cheese and vegetables will never make anyone, any $$$. In fact the Barlean's Flax Seed Oil company offers 1/2 price flax seed oil to cancer patients.  

Read Dr. Budwig's books. They are available on Amazon.com.  Or any library. 

Jun 19, 2009 09:30AM MBROWNING wrote:

Leia~  Well, we could be twins!  I'm only recently recognized the calmness that you mention, but it is a definite side effect, which is not only better for this healing process, but also for my marriage, my work, etc.  I have zero confidence in conventional medicine (the treatment phase, at least).  For my very low grade, very small cancer, they want to treat me with radiation and tamoxifen (OncoDX score was low, so surgeon says no chemo, but oncologist says I need to have my SNB to test lymph, which if positive, will trump the Onco score).  Although not physically, mentally and verbally I was kicking and screaming in her office!  I see this as a total over-treatment for me.  All I want is for someone to monitor my cancer activity (blood tests / cancer markers, hormone levels, whatever).  If, after surgery and BP, I can see a report that shows that cancer is still active and aggressive, then I'll consider treatments.  But, at this point, I FEEL cancer free.  It's weird, I've never been very "in-tune" with my body, but ever since this cancer-thing, my body sends out very clear signals.  When speaking of radiation and tamoxifen, I get this extreme pain that starts at the base of my neck and moves up into my head; my heart starts jumping and I get very anxious.  When I stand my ground and start thinking of my healthy lifestyle now, I get cool, calm and collected.  I do not believe this is "all in my head"....it is as much physiological and spiritual as it is pshychological, and all of these aspects play a huge role in healing.  Even if chemo, radiation and tamoxifen are successful for other people, I believe that since I have not accepted them in my heart and my mind, that they would not be effetive for me, and in fact would likely be harmful to my body!

I've had to do alot of soul-searching and second-guessing with this thing.  Just this very week, I have finally decided, no more questioning....I am forging ahead with my natural healing!  As of Wednesday, my motto is "Today, I Live!".  No more worrying about tomorrow.  Even without cancer, there are so many other risks each of us face everyday (the fact that I could get into a car accident doesn't keep me from driving to work each day; the fact that I could get robbed in the parking lot doesn't keep me from going to the grocery store, the fact that I could start a house fire doesn't keep me from burning a warm fire on a cold winters night and on and on and on).  So, today I am living my life and cancer isn't the controlling factor (it is just one of many various aspects of my life); after DX, it ruled my life and literally became a full-time job of worrying and stressing.  No more!  

Jun 19, 2009 05:54PM janeylena wrote:

Wow! This is all very encouraging! I heard about Budwig and tried it with my dog who had bladder cancer, but could not get her to eat. At any rate, three months later, I have this DCIS diagnosis and options to consider. I was so convinced I would not go the route of lumpectomy and radiation (feeling very down on conventional medicine!) until I had a conversation with a friend today who had a mastectomy two weeks ago of the same breast that 5 years ago she opted for lumpectomy with no radiation. She had the same Dx of DCIS originally and it turned invasive. I of course did not ask if she thought there was a causal relationship between the "treatment" and the progression. She shared that she could totally relate to my mistrust as she was there herself, but her experience did persuade me to consider these possibilities if it means being "done with it". So, now I came home to all your responses and I am back to feeling confused, though, encouraged.  Thank you all for sharing. It is wonderful to hear you're all feeling so good taking care of your whole selves. Peace.

Jun 19, 2009 11:59PM althea wrote:

mbrowning, does the flaxseedoil group ever discuss flaxseed being a goitrogen?  This topic was posted just recently in a different group, and most of the lists I see for goitrogenic foods don't mention flax. 

At first I was surprised, then dismayed because I've grown to like flaxseed with yogurt.  Then a fuzzy lightbulb finally illuminated my foggy brain.  Last year from March to mid-July I was making steady improvement (I started tinkering with supplements at that time).  My persistent nausea was kicked to the curb, never to return, and energy levels were steadily increasing.  Then my energy took a nosedive and honestly I've not been able to recapture what I had gained in the mar-july window.  Mid-july is when I started adding flaxseed oil to my breakfast routine.  

I've been taking iodine supplements consistently all this year, and sporadically last year.  Recent test results tell me my absorption rate of iodine is lousy.  Only 17 of 50 mg were absorbed.  I'm now focusing on doing what I can to increase my iodine absorption rate, and no more flaxseed oil is one of several options I'm going to pursue starting now.  I just finished off a bottle.  I'll have to figure out a new breakfast staple before I give up flaxseed.  I sure have grown to like it.  

Listen with a questioning ear. quote from George Ohsawa, founder of macrobiotics Dx 12/22/2004, ILC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 21, 2009 09:36PM - edited Jun 21, 2009 10:00PM by Leia

Mbrowning, I think we may be twins. Especially, when you said, this:

"I have zero confidence in conventional medicine (the treatment phase, at least). For my very low grade, very small cancer, they want to treat me with radiation and tamoxifen (OncoDX score was low, so surgeon says no chemo, but oncologist says I need to have my SNB to test lymph, which if positive, will trump the Onco score). Although not physically, mentally and verbally I was kicking and screaming in her office! I see this as a total over-treatment for me."

That is exactly what I believe. We had, small cancers. Invasive, by definition, yet my 2cm IDC ... less than 1/2 inch. Yours even smaller.

What IS the impetus, for all of these "treatments?"

My opinion? The doctors do not want to get sued. So, they offer "Everything," every test/treatment imaginable.  Even if they know, it will never help you. So they won't get sued. 

Then, you said:

"When speaking of radiation and tamoxifen, I get this extreme pain that starts at the base of my neck and moves up into my head; my heart starts jumping and I get very anxious. When I stand my ground and start thinking of my healthy lifestyle now, I get cool, calm and collected. I do not believe this is "all in my head"....it is as much physiological and spiritual as it is pshychological, and all of these aspects play a huge role in healing. Even if chemo, radiation and tamoxifen are successful for other people, I believe that since I have not accepted them in my heart and my mind, that they would not be effetive for me, and in fact would likely be harmful to my body!"

And I guess we do agree here, as well. 

I actually got to the point, in 2006, of appearing at the "Sim" appointment, for the whole breast radiation.  Where they do the CT scan, and "fit" you for the "cradle" for the radiation. 

That is where I just walked away. LIterally. They gave me this consent form, to sign, and I just said, I do not want this, and walked out of the place. The Seattle Cancer Care Alliance.

It was the most liberating day, of my life.

Mbrowning, you have a more upbeat take, on things, because I don't believe  that "chemo, radiation and tamoxifen" help anyone. 

For my part, the wife of a colleague where I work, just died, last week. This woman had been diagnosed with Leioymyosarcoma, in June of 2008. Ha, my very own, other cancer. Although, as I've said, I got the external "butt" version, that was cured. I guess, I have my five year CT scan, July 21. 

But this woman got the uterine, internal version of the Leio. She had uterine fibroids, for YEARS. Thought nothing of them, but that is where the Leio cancer, hides. And when they discovered it, in June 2008, it had spread, everywhere.

And she chose the Medical Industrial Complex, to cure her, and spent the past year undergoing increasingly grueling rounds, of chemotherapy. And more chemotherapy. And MORE chemotherapy. And her life was a living HELL.  And now, she's dead. 

For what? She could have just done nothing, and enjoyed that last year that she had, with her family. A 7 year old daughter and a 2 year old, son. 

I believe the chemo quickened her death.  

I was already on the BP, for my "nothing" cancers, but that solidified for me, I'm NEVER having chemotherapy or any therapy other than surgery for ANYTHING. 

You're right, mbrowning, "Today, I live." Today is all that we have. NONE of us, are getting out of here, alive.

Stop sweating and focusing on all of this bullshit. Just enjoy, the time that we're here.

And as far as this medical shit is concerned, less is more. Docs, you need to cut out my cancer, then, you're done. Then, it's up to me to eat right, to prevent a recurrence.

Today, I would venture to say, was the best day of my life. My two kids, 20 year old daughter, 17 year old son, were home. Playing a computer game, in the other room. I was watching the Paper Chase. One of my favorite TV series.

I don't where I'm going with this but just to say ... today is it. Life IS today. And today was one of the happiest days, of my life. 

Me healthy, my children healthy. It doesn't get any better, than that.  

I'm not going to be like my colleague's wife, Who squandered, her remaining year, in the Medical Industrial Complex. I'm going to eat the FOCC and veggies and live for today. 

Aug 7, 2009 05:07AM JennGrace wrote:

Has anyone heard of anyone doing the Budwig diet along with chemo?  I have been doing the Budwig since Nov 2008 when I started chemo until Feb 2009 until now (not a good scan this last time) so my doctor wants to put me back on chemo (Abraxane and Avastin). I don't want to do it!  I've searched on the internet and it seems to me that a lot of people are doing Budwig when they are not on chemo. 

Also do you know of anyone who has refused traditional treatment and completely went alternative?  If so, what is their success rate with Stage IV breast cancer>

Thanks

Dx 6/23/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 7, 2009 05:20AM - edited Aug 7, 2009 08:40AM by apple

i believe that my sister in law would be alive today if she had elected to do chemo in the early stage of her breast cancer.  she believed that too and wished she hadn't refused it when she was first diagnosed.  she lived 16 wonderful years. we miss her love and energy immensely.

i myself started out wiith a fairly late stage cancer. boy.  i am so so so so glad to be here.. so glad to have a chance to raise my kids.. May I be cancer free for ever.. or at least a long long time. it appears to be gone after all the chemo i did. When the probability is low enough that chemo is not worthy of consideration, it is never  offered,  cancer is mean stuff.  not the common cold.  it needs to be killed.  i don't believe diet can do that.  i don't mean to disagree with anyone and firmly believe that nutrition is of the utmost importance in fueling one's body..  

food cannot kill cancer cells and sometimes that is what needs to be done. it is indeed up to us to maintain our bodies.

all that said, it is interesting that cottage cheese (with tomatoes) is my favorite food. .. i eat it daily at least in the warmer parts of the year.  I cook and bake often and regularly use flax seed. I'm almost there.

Dx 5/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIc, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, ER+

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Aug 7, 2009 10:59AM gscott wrote:

Leia,

I have so appreciated your detailed posts and how you have taken charge of your diet and are still here!

There was no cancer in the family until this past year....and I wonder if it was from all of the mammograms that can cause cancer.

In process of getting lumps checked out- see profile if you want more info on me

Aug 9, 2009 12:05AM gscott wrote:

JenGrace-

There is a cancercure group on yahoo that is very helpful. They have helped many people! I thought you may be interested.

In process of getting lumps checked out- see profile if you want more info on me

Aug 13, 2009 05:27PM MBROWNING wrote:

Hi, all~

I've been away for awhile, but trying to catch up on some reading today.  For anyone interested in the Budwig plan, go the the yahoo group (see my June 18th post).  You'll get lots of information there.  I'm still happily complying with the protocol (it is now a way of life).  Don't be fooled in thinking that it's as simple as mixing flax oil and cottage cheese...the entire protocol involves much more (diet, sun therapy, stress reduction). 

Althea~

I'm don't know what a goitrogen is.  I know that many hormone positive BC girls have expressed concern about flax being a phytoestrogen and actually causing breast cancer.  I am ER+/PR+ and have done alot of reading on that aspect.  As far as I understand it, flax oil acts very much like a pseudo-estrogen, thereby competing with our own estrogen to take up space on estrogen receptor cells.  So, it acts much like Tamoxifen, without all the nasty side effects and potential risks. 

As for me, radiation has reared it's ugly head again.   Radiation Oncolgist's office has called 2 days in a row now to get me signed up (I'm passed the "critical point" per them....over 3 months since my lumpectomy).  I gotta' tell you, I'm like Leia, feeling like I'm ready to go for the CT/Sim.....however, I'm a pretty passive person when under pressure, so I don't know that I'd have the nerve to show up and then walk out.  Instead of the "Runaway Bride"  (that movie was on tv last weekend), I feel like the "Runaway Patient".  Every time I think I'm ready to consider conventional treatments, my body starts moving in that direction, then I start veering away again!  Ugh....I guess these decisions (or second guessing) just never end.  All-in-all, though I'm doing very well!  To-date, lumpectomy is the only conventional treatment I've had.  Best of health to all!

Melissa

Aug 13, 2009 05:45PM hollyann wrote:

My oncologist told me to avoid flax and soy as it produces estrogen in ER/PR+ breast cancers.....In other words it feeds the tumors..........Melissa I wish you well and hope that the flax does not cause you more cancer..........

Hugs and Love....Lucy Dx 1-15-07 IDC stage 1b grade 1, 1.6 cm.....Also DCIS grade 3, both in left breast Dx 1/15/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2009 09:17PM Leia wrote:

gscott, yes, I am still here. And am happy to report that three years from my 2cm IDC breast cancer diagnosis, on my right breast, May, 2006, the July 28, 2009 Mammogram AND Ultrasound revealed Normal results. Birad1.

And one week earlier, July 21, 2009, my Chest/Abdomen/Pelvis CT, for my Leiomyosarcoma cancer revealed no cancer, anywhere.  Again, I was diagnosed with the Leio cancer December, 2004. 

Of course, I only started the FOCC on January 22, 2009. So my current three year, non-recurrence breast cancer can not be attributed to that. Nor the non-recurrence of my Leio cancer.

Although, it does sort of indicate that surgery, alone, DOES work.  Without, all of these other "treatments."

To repeat, I'm talking about Stage 1 Cancers.

Although, I think I said this, my sister had the Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer, no spread, but she blew off the chemo (they wanted to do it as a preventive measure) and is on the Buddwig Protocol Full Time.  And she's doing GREAT. 

And I'll just repeat I feel so fantastic on the FOCC, I can't eat any shit food, anymore.  And now, I'm getting negative "cancer tests." 

In the end, it's just taking charge, of your own body.  It is so trite, I feel stupid saying it. Be we ARE what we eat.

Aug 14, 2009 09:40PM Leia wrote:

Mbrowning, from you sig your diagnosis is "Dx 2/17/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, /0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-"

Walk away, from the radiation.  You have a low-grade cancer. If your cancer was cut out, with huge margins.

Yeah, I know, it's HARD!

Truly, these docs are all so sincere. With their 30 year old studies, providing these "standards of care" that they just glom on to. So, they won't get sued. 

Because, IMO, this is all this is.

Breast Cancer is an "industry." They have all of these Formalized ""treatments."  Like a mill. Process them in and process them out. The radiation, the chemo, whatever.We're all just cogs, in the Medical industrial Beast Cancer Complex. 

For my Leio Cancer?

That cancer is so rare, there were no "automatic" treatments. Like the radiation and the chemo and the Tamoxifen. For the breast cancer.

So, just these automatic CT scans. And my Leio doc said, last week, "You need these CT scans for the next 5 years."  

My thought was, "I do?" 

Aug 15, 2009 01:30AM London-Virginia wrote:

I went through a long list of food items/supplements with my onc (who is very pro additional complementary medecines) yesterday and we are in agreement no phyto oestrogens / flax oil.

Individual choice is yours ladies, but think carefully before you turn down treatment.

And however useful this site is and however much we are all reliant upon it in many different ways, when all is said and done it is a website.

Look after yourselves however you choose, but remember if you turn down a tratment the consequencees could end up being terrible.

Warmest regards to all for continued recovery -

Virginia. Dx 5/9/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/25/2009 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 6/30/2009 Chemotherapy 10/4/2009 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil) Radiation Therapy 1/4/2010 Breast

Aug 15, 2009 03:02AM althea wrote:

Mbrowning, a goitrogen is a food that suppresses the function of the thyroid by interfering with its uptake of iodine.  Cruciferous veggies are the first foods typically mentioned -- broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, collard greens, kale, cabbage. 

I would encourage you to really grill your doctors about the benefits you would receive.  If they talk in percentages, have them translate it into hard numbers.  Forty percent can shrink real fast when you realize that they're not talking 40 out of every 100 women getting the treatment.  Ask them how they count the women who die of heart disease instead of bc in the first five years.  Ask them what they'll do to monitor your heart health after treatments.  Ask them if they'll monitor your thyroid health before and after treatments.  And have they told you why you, as a stage 1 grade 1 patient, they are recommending rads at all? 

As for tamoxifen, ask your doctors why is it ok to take a pill with known side effects to do the same thing that phytoestrogens do?  Tamoxifen works by attaching to the same receptors as estrogen.  That's the same thing that phytoestrogens do. 

Yes it would be terrible to turn down a treatment and get a recurrence later.  Yet, there's plenty of ladies in the stage iv section who did the whole nine yards and got a recurrence anyway.  And wouldn't it be just a terrible to suffer ill effects from a harsh treatment, up to and including heart disease, that maybe you didn't need?  

Finally, I would ask your doctors if they recommend rads because they truly believe you need it, or because they're required to recommend it as part of protocol.  Make them earn your trust.  

Listen with a questioning ear. quote from George Ohsawa, founder of macrobiotics Dx 12/22/2004, ILC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 15, 2009 08:10AM MBROWNING wrote:

Althea~

I did see information on one of the threads in regards to taking DIM and one of the girls made a comment that she would absolutely not take DIM without supplementing her iodine (she takes Iodoral) for the same reason you state above.  Since DIM and flax apparently both are goitrogens, I assume iodine supplementation would be good for me.    I'm trying to keep my supplements to a minimum, but I did buy some organic kelp powder and have started taking it with my FO/CC. 

As for the rads, the scales have tipped way back to the "against" side.  I'm not afraid of the treatment itself, I'm just really unsure of the long-term affects and that seems to be what's wigging me out.  The doctors' fascination with preventing local recurrence, whatever the consequence, is one that I still can't wrap my head around.  As I'm sure all of you have heard from one oncologist or another (I have), it's not a matter of IF your cancer returns, it's a matter of WHEN your cancer returns.  Well, my preference is that it comes right back to the same spot (after-all, that's the area that they're really going to be focusing on for the next few years).  Why risk my heart, lungs, bones, etc. to prevent a local recurrence, if as "they" say, it IS going to come back anyway!

I appreciate all the comments, pros and cons.  I definitely like to weigh the positives and negatives.  Melissa

Aug 15, 2009 11:09AM - edited Aug 15, 2009 11:40AM by Stef2day

I don't have BC but I surfed into this site while doing my inquiries and research on the Budwig Protocol, as I have been doing daily for the past two months.  I was diagnosed with papillary renal cell carcinoma, a rare form of kidney cancer, in April.   I had surgery to remove one kidney which contained a large mass, the associated adrenal gland, a number of metastatic lymph nodes, and had a metastatic mass removed from the inferior vena cava.    This appears to be a stage 3 cancer, but I was recently told a have a 4 mm node (that "could be nothing") on my lung that had been there in two other scans but is just now being mentioned to me.  It has not grown since April.  Sounds like stage 4 to me. I am grade 3.

At any rate, I am not writing this with any fear, trepidation or apprehension regarding my disease, I am writing to encourage those who have either never heard of the Budwig Protocol, or who are critics of the protocol, to take a look at some reliable sources, and the most reliable sources are the people who are here, living, to tell you about it.  I am also asking the skeptics to realize how much diet affects your body.  Cancer can be hereditary because diet is hereditary.  You are not only what you eat, you are what your parents ate, and you are what your parents taught you to eat. 

I was already a generally healthy person when I was  diagnosed with cancer.  I am a youthful looking 43 year-old, 5'- 7", 132 pounds, an avid skier, golfer, and highly trained in various forms of dance, etc, but my diet wasn't quite right.  I ate fried foods, red meat, pork, used butter instead of margarine (both are bad), and unknowingly maintained an acidic vs. alkaline diet.  Even so, my weight always stayed low, and I looked great-- on the outside.  When the diagnosis of what was inside came, everyone was shocked, including the renal specialist.  He said I fit none of the risk factors for kidney cancer-- but there I was.

After the surgery to remove my cancer, and they got all they could SEE, I started educating myself and found some scientifically proven facts, not quackish conjecture:

1. Cancer loves sugar, so I stopped eating and drinking sugar.
  2. Cancer loves an acidic environment, so I started taking alkalizing baths, eating alkalizing foods, and started measuring my pH balance daily.
  3. Cancer loves a bad diet-- so I decided to change my diet.

Since we know these things are true, why aren't oncologists instructing us as such?

Then I ran across the Budwig Protocol..... but you don't have to listen to me, you can Google all day every day for months just like I did and see for yourself. Cancertutor.org is great, the flaxseed 2 group on yahoo is wonderful, and the Mariposa Clinic in Spain has a website with very informative facts on BP.

No specific entity makes money from BP because everything you need can be found at your grocery store and health food or whole food market.  That was the first indicator of it's effectiveness-- nobody was trying to sell me anything.  For the cost of two books I found at Amazon.com, Johanna Budwig's Oil-Protein Diet cookbook, and a book of her theories and speeches on cancer, I am feeling better than I have felt in more than one year.  My energy is renewed and therefore my spirit is renewed.  I am back at work in record time, and even though I lost 10 pounds (no doubt from now being vegetarian and eating healthy), everyone tells me I look great. My husband is "Budwigging" with me although he will occasionally eat chicken, and he has dropped 12 pounds.

My surgery involved an incision from the middle of my cleavage straight down to my bikini line, and it healed so quickly my renal specialist/surgeon told me he had never seen such a fast recovery.  He is also amazed at how I "don't look like" a person who had such extensive surgery.  I will be wearing a bikini again next summer.

I pay the oncologist a healthy co-pay every month to tell me nothing except, "You look great and there are no further signs of cancer, come back next month."  He says nothing about nutrition.  Chemotherapy and radiation are not helpful with my cancer type, and because of this, I consider myself lucky-- I didn't have to decide to chemo or not to chemo.  I have no choice but alternative treatment, and I found one that made so much doggone sense it's laughable.  So laughable that I laugh all the way to the Whole Foods grocery store every week. My skin is very clear, my lifetime of allergy suffering has stopped, and my nerves have calmed. I have grown to love carefully prepared flaxseed and quark, or cottage cheese, and I am happy at the table every day.

The Budwig Protocol is not just a diet, it is a way of life.  I follow the diet closely, get the prescribed amount of sunshine, exercise, changed my lifestyle, and changed my seemingly good health to "lab-test-excellent" health.  I will be back on the golf course next month and after my yoga classes, when I get rid of the stiffness from the surgery, I will be back on the ski slopes this winter.

As a side note, I also have Crohn's disease and have not had a flair-up since starting the diet. I also have a large fibroid that is, according to my GYN, degenerating and it's blood supply has shut off.

Aug 15, 2009 10:04PM Leia wrote:

Stef3day, you just said it, more eloquently than I ever could. Thank you. 

And critical is your comment, "The Budwig Protocol is not just a diet, it is a way of life."

It is. And it's not some "horrible" way of life. You can eat so much great food. My sister has been showing me these recipes, and everything is just delicious. I never knew. And the stress reduction, and the sunshine.

Mostly, the stress reduction.

But it's amazing, with the BP/FOCC, the stress reduction almost comes, naturally.  Or else, I can find no other explanation for the difference in how I feel. In just 7 months. 

The docs NEVER talk about this. They never talk about diet, at all.

For me, myself, I am my doctor. I know my own, body. And I know the decisions that I want to make, for myself.

But then, if a MD says I have this Cancer, that needs to be cut out .. well, yeah. It needs to be cut out. And they can cut it out. I've done this, twice. Cool, I don't have cancer, anymore.

But then, if they say, do all of these other "treatments," I'm saying No. As MarieS on this board has said they irradiate 100% of the women with Early Stage Breast Cancers to help the 10% that really need it.  

I'm not going to be a part of that.

Because by now, I just believe in  taking charge of my own ... health. 

The Budwig Protocol IS the real deal.  There are no studies, because nobody makes any $$$ from them. Stef2day said:

"No specific entity makes money from BP because everything you need can be found at your grocery store and health food or whole food market.  That was the first indicator of it's effectiveness-- nobody was trying to sell me anything."

And as Stef2day said and I say, just go read Johanna Budwig's books. They are available, on Amazon. And decide for yourself, what you want.

I choose ....health. With the FOCC/BP. 

Aug 15, 2009 11:47PM gscott wrote:

Wow Stef2day, thank you so much for sharing! I am thrilled you stopped by to share this news. I don't have bc either, but i have suspicous lumps that are in the diagnostic phase.

I can already see a change in the  budwig diet. I would love to hear all of the "great recipes" you guys have.

Please keep in touch often:)

Sep 2, 2009 04:37PM Galeoti wrote:

Please help!!!!  My step-father was diagnosed last year with a brain tumor and had massive radiation and chemo treatments which did not help. They gave him 2 months to live and that's when we stopped listening to the doctors and started our own research. We came across the cancertutor site and learned about the Cellect-Budwig diet. He had been doing very well with the juicing, the cellect, the enzyme pills and even the B-17. The only thing that makes him throw everything up is when he does the cottage cheese and flax oil. I am running out of options with him. He won't even try it again because he just keeps throwing up and I feel so bad...like i'm making him sick. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any suggestions? Please Help!!! Thank You!!!!

Sep 2, 2009 04:48PM MBROWNING wrote:

You may want to start him on a 1/2 dose of the Flax Oil/Cottage Cheese....if that doesn't work, try reducing it even further until you get to a dose that he can keep down.  Then, start increasing it gradually.  Also, are you adding anything to it?  I have an extremely strong stomach, but the first time I tried it, I thought I would puke!  Then, I started adding things to it to make it more tasty.  First, mix the FO/CC completely so it bonds as one, then add your additions.  I like to add frozen fruits (pineapple, strawberry, blueberry and even frozen banana) and then blend them into the FO/CC....comes out like a smooth yogurt (add a little stevia or honey as sweetener, if he likes a sweeter taste).  Your best bet is to join this group:  http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/FlaxSeedOil2/  .  You will get alot of guidance and support there from people who know the Budwig Protocol inside and out! 

Sep 11, 2009 12:38AM MsBliss wrote:

I am interested in this diet.  I have triple negative, stage 1, with medullary features.  I could not do chemo because I had two other conditons that made chemo too lethal to do.  All I have had was surgery and I am supposed to go start rads but I just can't.  I am probably going to monitor, closely, with the SonoCine ultrasound and regular scans. 

I am on a protocol with curcumin, melatonin, D3, Boswellia, fish oil and other things, but I would like to start the Budwig.  I am also using modified citrus pectin and avemar.

Where is the best place to learn about the Budwig protocol?

Dx 3/09 Triple negative, stg1, SNB0/2, BRCA neg, CHEK 2 pos, 1.4cm plus 7mm DCIS, ki67 70-90%, lumpectomy w/re-excision, no chemo/no rads due to delays from secondary health issues; evidence based interventions.

Sep 11, 2009 09:36PM Leia wrote:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/FlaxSeedOil2/

Sep 12, 2009 08:27AM gogo_xago wrote:

I have a big question: is this diet suitable for all types of BC? My mother has ER + / PR + and I don't know if she can do this diet. Does anyone know something about?

Sep 14, 2009 10:21PM Leia wrote:

Actually, this diet is NOT about breast cancer. The Budwig Protocol/FOCC is about preventing ALL cancers. 

But to address your question, yes, your mother can safely follow this protocol.

Because it is not based on drugs. It is based on eating healthy food. With the core healthy food being the FOCC.  Flax Seed Oil and Cottage Cheese. Mixed, together, on a 1 to two ratio. (One TBSP FO to 2 TBSP CC, blended, together.)

Plus, it really is delicious, my FOCC is combined with berries, and provides such immediate overt benefits. I've only been on it 8 months, and will NEVER go back. 

It's too soon, for me, about the anti-cancer benefits. 8 months is nothing.  Yet, how I feel, is everything. And as I've posted, I've never felt better, in my life. By now, I can't NOT do it. 

And there's science behind this, as well. Just read Dr. Budwig's books. It's not snake oil. It's real science. Her books are on Amazon.com.  

Page 1 of 6 (161 results)