Join Us

We are 217,553 members in 84 forums discussing 160,624 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Burzynski: The Movie **SKEPTIC ALERT**

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Nov 29, 2011 05:10PM

thenewme wrote:

***SKEPTIC ALERT***

I actually saw Burzynski The Movie: Cancer is Serious Business.  I know it's been discussed in other threads, but I'd love to discuss it with other like-minded people who may have seen it.  I read this review, and have to say I completely agree with the author.  Of course, I nearly always agree with the evidence-based stuff I read there, LOL!

www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/i... 

Dx 11/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 4 of 9 (245 results)

Posts 91 - 120 (245 total)

Dec 5, 2011 11:46PM AnnNYC wrote:

impositive -- what I posted above was not an exact quote.  I have clarified, above.

MsBliss already acknowledged that if this matter has been raised and refuted before, it should be laid to rest.

Dx 3/9/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 6, 2011 07:25AM - edited Aug 10, 2012 07:56PM by del4

This Post was deleted by del4.

Dec 6, 2011 10:08AM thenewme wrote:

Apparently Burzynski enjoys the "victim" mentality, and tries to silence all those who would dare to disagree with him or call him out on misinformation.  Who's the real bully?

Schoolboy takes on Burzynski

"It turns out there is little more uplifting than the sight of a dubious Texas medical clinic tangling with a Welsh schoolboy and coming off worse. The spectacle played out when the Burszynski clinic in Houston - which charges people who are dying from cancer hundreds of thousands of dollars for unproven treatments - took on Rhys Morgan, a 17-year-old pupil at Cardiff High School. "

ROCK ON, RHYS MORGAN!!!

Dec 6, 2011 01:40PM suzieq60 wrote:

Wow - thanks thenewme - what a great kid!!!

2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009 Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Dec 6, 2011 02:16PM - edited Aug 10, 2012 07:56PM by del4

Dec 6, 2011 03:13PM rosemary-b wrote:

This is not the Alternative Forum. It seems that that has to be stated two or three times a page.

What a fine young man.

Dx 2/25/2007, IDC, Stage I, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Dec 6, 2011 09:07PM MariannaLaFrance wrote:

We should have a forum labled "Alternative Skeptics" for all these types of posts.

That way, all the scientific evidence that the group likes to compile will be in one location for any newbie looking for an alternative to the alternative.

Then maybe we can make a thread for Alternative Skeptics for Science against Alternatives.

That's about what these threads amount to, and it would save the readers the trouble of having to parse through pages of nothing but nutter butter and pontificating to get some information. Round and round the mulberry bush...... 

Dx 1/26/2010, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 6, 2011 11:11PM Leia wrote:

Wow,"thenewme's" raves are ... remarkarble. 

What nonsense.  

Dx 5/5/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 7, 2011 07:29AM - edited Dec 7, 2011 08:28AM by rosemary-b

I thought it was terrible that they tried to sic the law on young Rhys. It was remarkable that he held his own, IMO. It seems to me that this is a good place for those who are sceptical of alternative therapies to express their views without creating a new forum. There are enough forums now as far as I'm concerned.

Dec 7, 2011 08:24AM - edited Aug 10, 2012 07:56PM by del4

Dec 7, 2011 11:17PM - edited Dec 7, 2011 11:37PM by Leia

SunflowersMA, did you not read "thenewme's" posts? She was raving.

This is the Complementary thread and not the Alternative thread; yet, Burzynski wants to go complementary. His fight, with the FDA. He just wants FDA approval. For his cancer curing cures. It could be said the FDA is not even Complementry, since they continue to deny Burzynski.

It is just the Medical Industrial Complex. Too much $ would be lost if cancer was cured. What would the 16% of the economy devoted to medical care/cancer treatments do? 

Burzynski HAS cured, incurable cancers.  Burzynski has proven this, time and time. again.Yet, he is only allowed to treat the people already wracked by chemo and radiation. the MIC "failures." And still, he manages to save half of them. Maybe more. Just think what he could do if he got to the patients BEFORE the MIC chemo and radiation.

Dec 8, 2011 07:58AM - edited Aug 10, 2012 07:56PM by del4

Dec 8, 2011 08:27AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Hmm, my rave meter is registering a 0 for thenewme.
Caryn

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Dec 8, 2011 09:00AM apple wrote:

the raver here is not thenewme.

ahem.

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Dec 8, 2011 09:06AM scuttlers wrote:

Agreeing with Apple.

My favorite side effect of treatments is BEING ALIVE! Dx 2/4/2009, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 11/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Dec 8, 2011 09:13AM bluedahlia wrote:

Agreeing with scuttlers.

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Dec 8, 2011 10:08AM - edited Aug 10, 2012 07:57PM by del4

Dec 8, 2011 10:28AM - edited Dec 8, 2011 10:29AM by crazy4carrots

From the on-line dictionary:   rave  (rv) v. ravedrav·ingraves v.intr. 1. To speak wildly, irrationally, or incoherently. 2. To roar; rage: The storm raved along the coast. 3. To speak or write with wild enthusiasm: Critics raved about the new play. 4. To attend a rave. v.tr. To utter or express in a frenzied manner.      Funny, I didn't see any of the above in thenewme's posts.  In fact, I'd feel quite insulted if I were she.
The demagogue preaches doctrine he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots. Dx 1/10/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 8, 2011 11:08AM thenewme wrote:

I'm relieved to see my intent isn't lost on everyone!

LOL, Lindasa - no worries - I'm not that easily insulted. I'm "remarkarble."  ;-D

Sunflowers, re: "...somehow I don't think we're going to convince anyone who uses the phrase "medical industrial complex" of anything...."  Absolutely true, and it's a good thing *that's* not my mission, LOL!

Dec 8, 2011 01:18PM suzieq60 wrote:

It's all about SCIENTIFIC proof for me too. If there were a proven alternative cure, we would all know about it.
2nd diagnosis October 2010 - IDC 5.8mm node negative - missed on mammogram in October 2009 Dx 10/13/2009, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Dec 8, 2011 09:37PM rosemary-b wrote:

thenewme is not raving.

Dec 8, 2011 10:39PM - edited Dec 8, 2011 10:48PM by Leia

Well, I disagree. thenewme had 4 posts, in rapid succession, raging against Burzynski. "It's bogus, it doesn't work."

If someone had posted 4 posts, in rapid succession in support of Burzynski, I would say they are raving, too.  

Why can't we just have some thoughtful discussion. Have any of you watched the Bursynski documentary?

I have, and I was appalled.  Mainly, because people were not free to choose what is right, for themselves. 

It seems that many posters on this thread, like thenewme, are totally against Burzynski. And that is fine. But why do you want to prevent people like me, say, choosing it? Why is the FDA targeting Burzynski?

You reject Burzynski, that's great. Yet, I want to choose it. Why should the government/FDA deny me that choice?

If I choose Burzynski, and die, what is it to you?

Just give me the choice. The FDA is supressing Burzynski. This is not right.  That is NOT the United States of America.

Where we have free choice. Supposedly. But we don't. Now. The FDA just wants to get rid of Burzynski. And that is why I'm fighting back. 

I will not accept this. 

Dec 9, 2011 01:45AM April2 wrote:

This is why the FDA cannot allow people to offer anything they like as a treatment or cure (copied from FDA.gov):

FDA is responsible for protecting the public health by assuring the safety, efficacy and security of human and veterinary drugs, biological products, medical devices, our nation’s food supply, cosmetics, and products that emit radiation.

FDA is also responsible for advancing the public health by helping to speed innovations that make medicines more effective, safer, and more affordable and by helping the public get the accurate, science-based information they need to use medicines and foods to maintain and improve their health. FDA also has responsibility for regulating the manufacturing, marketing and distribution of tobacco products to protect the public health and to reduce tobacco use by minors.

Finally, FDA plays a significant role in the Nation’s counterterrorism capability. FDA fulfills this responsibility by ensuring the security of the food supply and by fostering development of medical products to respond to deliberate and naturally emerging public health threats.

Dec 9, 2011 05:47AM - edited Dec 9, 2011 06:04AM by apple

Leia - I have watched the Burzynski movie.. way to propoganda-ish.. it's like an infomercial for carpet brooms or hair cleaners.   I watch too much tv I guess.. that i would know what marketers do when they make movies and commercials.

you wrote "

Just give me the choice. The FDA is supressing Burzynski. This is not right.  That is NOT the United States of America.  Where we have free choice. Supposedly. But we don't. Now. The FDA just wants to get rid of Burzynski. And that is why I'm fighting back. 

I will not accept this"

Sometimes people fall for the crap thrust upon them by marketers who cleverly toy with their emotions, always ask for money and blame someone else (generally).  I consider myself an intelligent woman.  I understand what I read, have a good vocabulary, have studied and written.  I have been 'researching' cancer for 4 years now and my grasp of this disease is minimal at least.  I have only scratched the surface of my diagnosis, prognosis and rejected prosthesis. I have much more confidence in those who are educated in medicine to make life changing decisions that i do myself.  I want to be able to have the freedom to choose my yogurt flavor but am ever grateful that i have a panel of experts who help me make health decisions.. (not dictate mind you).

The FDA looks out for those who are preyed upon like believers of this Burzinski stuff.  I've been reading about him for quite some time, since 2008 I guess.   The  FDA is a 'watchdog agency', but attempts to ensure that those who would exploit the public do not get a hand hold on the money of the desparate. .. that those who seek financial gain by selling cures are not taken seriously.  They do a lot of other stuff too, like regulate the ingredients of coloring components in makeup for women.  .. make sure it is safe for the skin and all. 

I too believe that here in the good old U S of A, one should have the freedom to choose.. go ahead.  There is no reason to be angry at those who don't agree with you and Burzynski has the wherewithall (mental and financial) to seek the FDA's approval.  I certainly don't think he is an idiot.

If you want to invest go ahead... he is a clever bastardo.

http://blog.anarchic-teapot.net/2011/11/29/should-you-invest-in-burzynski-stock/

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Dec 9, 2011 06:07AM pip57 wrote:

Isn't Burzynski running his clinic now?  So we do have a choice.  He wants FDA approval of his product and, from my understanding, there is not enough data to support that yet.

I did see the documentary.  I thought that there were some very interesting aspects that need to be studied further.  However, it did come off as an infomercial...and we all now how they can glitz up any product to make it look far better than it is in actuality. 

PIP - multi focal, FEC100/Tax, rads, dble mast with no recon, ooph/hyst, arimidex Dx 2/1/2007, DCIS/IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 9/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 9, 2011 06:17AM suzieq60 wrote:

To think that people get sucked in by this man is just ridiculous!!!

Dec 9, 2011 06:48AM apple wrote:

whoops.

Dec 9, 2011 07:19AM Chevyboy wrote:

Along these same lines, I just want to comment on "john of god" in Brazil.  My Daughter's older friend had a lumpectomy about the same time I did....

Only she was advised she needs radiaion AND  chemo, because of the node involvement....(don't know how many, nor the size or grade of her tumor)

But she didn't want any of that "harsh" treatment she said.  So she and her DH went to Brazil to be with "john of god".... (Famous for also being on the Oprah show).... She came back "healed"  he told her! 

10 months went by, Doctor's appointment advised her that she had to get scans, because their thinking was she now had mets.... Brain, bones and liver..... She started chemo, but that has been suspended because she is now in a nursing home, and in terrible shape.

I'm just sooo sorry that "conventional" treatment was by-passed because of her belief in "miracles!"   She told me she shouldn't have done it.... And all I could say was "Well it was your choice".....

So if you want to believe in "miracles"....that's good, but first believe that those "conventional" treatments are out there for US to take advantage of.... ARE miracles, and not just money pits  managed by "the big boys."

And yes SusieQ.... that IS ridiculous!

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Dec 9, 2011 07:35AM Chevyboy wrote:

Just wanted to include this site....

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2010/11/for_shame_oprah_winfrey_shills_for_faith.php

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Dec 9, 2011 08:43AM Lulu22 wrote:

The problem with using testimonials as evidence of cure rates is that the group of people who submit the tesimonials is self selected. This is not a randomized group, nor is there usually follow-up to see how these patients do in the long run. If they have progression their testimonial is simply removed and replaced by that of someone with a rosier prognosis.

From "Scienced-Based Medicine":

Dr. Burzynski first gained fame for his cancer therapy back in 1988, when Sally Jesse Raphael featured four “miracle” patients of Burzynski’s, who, according to her, had had incurable cancer and failed conventional therapies but were rendered cancer-free, thanks to Dr. Burzynski. Unfortunately, four years later in 1992, Inside Edition followed up these four patients and found that two of the four had died and a third had recurred, while the fourth had had bladder cancer with a good prognosis. In that report, the widow of one of Raphael’s guests reported that her husband and five others had sought treatment from Burzynski and that all had died. 

Dx 9/7/2011, IDC, 5cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/8/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 1/18/2012 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 12/17/2014, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/8/2015 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant Radiation Therapy Breast Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 4 of 9 (245 results)