Join Us

We are 224,992 members in 83 forums discussing 163,828 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anti-inflammatory supplements, reduce cholesterol levels ?

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: May 15, 2012 02:28PM

cp418 wrote:

What Anti-inflammatory supplements and to reduce cholesterol levels do you prefer?

I had some bloodwork done not to long ago that show elevated cholesterol, CRP and Fibrinogen levels - - all out of range HIGH.  Yes, all high risk for a cardio event especially with strong family hx of heart dx and strokes.  I'm a Ticking time bomb here and I'm sure mostly caused by 5 yrs on Femara.  Don't drink, smoke, not obsese or over weight and exercise regular.  Conservative diet no red meat in past 6 years, minimal dairy to no dairy, organic poultry, wild seafood, organic veggies, fruit, minimal bread, lots of EVOO and salads, oatmeal. etc.  Not much more that I can do with life style changes???  Also, I take obvious supplements for Ca, Mg, Vit D, Vit C, Curcumin, Omega 3, CoQ10, Glucosamine, acetyl L Carnitine, a few others.  Drink lots of green tea my favorite.

(Note - Oncologist wants me to stay on Femara a few more years but I need to get these abnormal labs under control.)  I do not want to be placed on any statins.  Wondered about Red Yeast Rice, more Vitamin C, etc.  Read warning about taking Bromelain for individuals taking daily Aspirin which I do already.  I've an appt with my Nutritionist and have a few questions to ask regarding supplement changes.  I just wondered if anyone else has some additional ideas that would be helpful to discuss during my appt. 

Page 2 of 2 (42 results)

Posts 31 - 42 (42 total)

Jun 1, 2012 10:21PM cp418 wrote:

"New Tree Dark Chocolate with Flax seeds" is my favorite.  Certainly costs less at the local Wegmens than this website.  When I'm in a hurry in the morning (to beat the heat to get in daily walk), I take a medium size piece with a some green tea before my walk.  Eat breakfast when I return.  okay --- I'm using the walk to justify eating those chocolate calories......   UndecidedWink

http://stores.newtreestore.com/-strse-Large-Bars-cln-Dark-Chocolate/Categories.bok

Jun 2, 2012 08:15AM - edited Aug 10, 2012 01:09PM by del4

This Post was deleted by del4.

Jun 2, 2012 09:18AM - edited Jun 2, 2012 09:24AM by cp418

There are some other chocolate bars too - - I simply tried them for taste.  I feel I've already given up so much in my diet to eat healthy - -no red meat in the past 6 years, minimal dairy which is fine with lactose intolerance, no junk foods, no wine or any alcohol, etc.  Sometimes I just want to be "normal" again........ I have more concerns over the toxins in household and cosmetic products with parabens, benzenes, and breathing them or absorbing via sunscreen or shampoos, produce that is not organic sprayed with pesticides, chemical fertilizers.  I figure some flax seeds are lower priority with phytoestrogens.  I feel artifical hormones are more dangerous than those from plants - - but maybe I'm wrong.  The majority of green plalnts you eat do contain some level of phytoestrogens BUT don't quote me as my brain is over whelmed at times with all these details!

Jun 2, 2012 11:20AM allurbaddayswillend wrote:

My current fave is Endangered Species 72% cocoa with cocoa nibs - the nibs add a little krunch! I only eat about a quarter to a third of a bar per day so I wonder if I get "enough" of the awesome polyphenols or not....

dx at 48 years old Dx 4/4/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/24/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 6/15/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 11/28/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/3/2012 Breast

Jun 2, 2012 12:39PM - edited Jun 2, 2012 12:50PM by cp418

I'll check out the Endangered Species brand --- I think I crave that krunch texture.  Embarassed  Thanks!!

It is very confusing......  http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/breast-cancer-fighting-breast-cancer-with-flaxseeds.html

Jun 2, 2012 03:49PM allurbaddayswillend wrote:

cp, here's another site that I think seems to have sensible advice regarding food and breast cancer and they are pro flaxseed basically: http://foodforbreastcancer.com/foods/flaxseed

So I think I won't worry about it in moderation and might even include.

dx at 48 years old Dx 4/4/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/24/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 6/15/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 11/28/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/3/2012 Breast

Jun 6, 2012 10:06AM Everlastpink wrote:

I have been taking garlic capsules for about 3 months and just had my regular blood draw yesterday.  We'll see if it helped.  My cardiologist has me on 2000 mg of Niacin.  I get the results on the 25th and will let you know if it helped.

I had never heard of the claritin/pepcid ac combo.  That is really interesting.

Katherine, lumpectomy, SNB, mammosite radiation, bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, Aromasin Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 6, 2012 05:10PM - edited Jun 6, 2012 05:13PM by purple32

revellsk  "  Has anyone read that AI's cause high cholesterol?  "

Yes, I have read that .

My husband takes metamucil ea. moning due to colon cancer tx. It has lowered his cholesterol.

Has anybody tried that ?

BILAT LE! from 5.12.12.LX DX 3/2012 IDC <1 cm stage 1 GR 1 ( 0/2 nodes) ER PR pos HER2- RECURRENCE same breast Jan 2020 LX FEB 2020 . NO rads or hormones. Dx 3/2012, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 4/30/2012 Lumpectomy: Left

Jun 7, 2012 03:30PM - edited Aug 10, 2012 01:09PM by del4

Jun 9, 2012 03:39PM cp418 wrote:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002

I've increased my Omega 3 supplement and will see if it helps......  I already use olive oil, eat walnuts and oatmeal for breakfast with organic fruit.

Jun 10, 2012 04:58PM - edited Aug 10, 2012 01:09PM by del4

Jun 28, 2012 08:55AM cp418 wrote:

Yes, I'm stuck too trying to loose some extra pounds.  Daily walking does help especially sitting for hours at desk for work.  It seems activity level is required along with the diet.  When I go to the park and see these joggers blow past me ---- I don't know how they do it!!  Either my allergies interfere with breathing or joint pain in legs forces me to walk.  Oh well --- I'll take walking!!!

Page 2 of 2 (42 results)