Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Study n effectiveness of Iodine

Options

Iodine can be very beneficial In the fight!  I highly recommend the Iodine Protocol.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2452979/

Comments

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited November 2013
    Options

Interesting...

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited November 2013
    Options

Yes - very interesting indeed especially about lowering cholesterol.

http://www.20somethingallergies.com/iodine-protocol-for-healing-thyroid/

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited November 2013
    Options

That caught my eye too...

• Fallleaves
    Fallleaves Member Posts: 134
    edited November 2013
    Options

Interesting about the breast cancer benefits of iodine. Unfortunately I have a shellfish allergy (which I thought might be related to the iodine in it), and I read somewhere that iodine might aggravate acne, so I've been avoiding it for about 25 years! I might need to start nibbling on seaweed regardless of what it does to my skin....

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited November 2013
    Options

Actually, iodine displaces the halogen Bromide which can cause an acne-like outbreak.  I have to take Lugol's in small doses to avoid the outbreak.  There is so much bromide in our bread products.  There used to be iodine in our breads instead until they took it out unfortunately.  www.breastcancerchoices.org has great iodine info.

• jelson
    jelson Member Posts: 622
    edited November 2013
    Options

thanks for posting this Jojo68 -

I have had one lobe of my thyroid removed and been on synthroid to suppress and essentially atrophy the remaining lobe. It was my impression that Iodine was strictly used by the thyroid and since my goal was for my thyroid to shrivel and die since it would be prone to additional nodules, I have avoided iodine, oh for example if I am taking a supplement and there is a choice of "with iodine" I take the w/o iodine option. Perhaps, based on this study, I should be doing the opposite!!! since it states that the iodine works on breast tissue - without involvement of the thyroid! I am pasting the section of the NCBI article relevant to this issue.

"Evidence indicates that the impact of iodine treatment on breast tissue is independent of thyroid function. For example, iodine deficient rats given the thyroid hormone thyroxine (T4) did not achieve reduced tumor growth following NMU treatment suggesting that the effect of iodine on tumor growth is independent of the thyroid gland or thyroid hormone 7. Additionally, Eskin et al and others have reported that administration of molecular iodine has a greater impact on tumor growth than the equivalent dose of iodide 5-9. Since the thyroid primarily utilizes iodide as opposed to iodine 5, this data supports the hypothesis that iodine is not acting through the thyroid.

In addition to differences in the metabolism of iodine, the mechanisms of iodine and iodide uptake appear to differ. While iodide uptake is essentially via the Sodium-Iodide Symporter (NIS) in the thyroid, data suggests that iodine uptake in the breast may be NIS-independent, possibly through a facilitated diffusion system 12. Together this data indicates that the effect of iodine on breast cancer progression is in part independent of thyroid function and suggests that iodine's protective effect on breast cancer progression is elicited through its direct interactions with breast cancer cells."

Thanks again!!!

• jojo68
    edited November 2013
    Options

Jelson!

I HIGHLY recommend joiningthe yahoo groups breastcancerthinktank AND iodinegroup....there is also a wonderful iodine group o facebook!  Lynn Farrow is an iodine expert and participates in theis group as well...she had a book just come out.  Also, breastcancerchoices.org goes into great detail!

• Fallleaves
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thanks for posting the link to breastcancerchoices.org, Jojo. It was very informative. I definitely will be reading up on the iodine connection to BC. I just realized that on top of the other things I've been doing that probably made me deficient in iodine, I'm a big lover of Fresca, and that has brominated vegetable oil in it. Apparently bromines block absorption of iodine, so that probably hasn't been good for me either. Well, I've switched to drinking loads of green tea and now I'll start eating dried seaweed, so hopefully that will help.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited November 2013
    Options

Fallleaves, don't beat yourself up. I always ate a pretty healthy diet, never ate junk like potato chips, never drank soda, never baked cakes from a mix etc. I got stupid cancer anyway. It is probably a good idea to drop the soft drinks, but it is impossible to know in most cases why we ended up with this bitch of a disease.

By the way, I keep seaweed around and put it in stirfrys and fish dishes.

• Fallleaves
    edited November 2013
    Options

"Bitch of a disease"--- you got that right, Momine! Jeez, what does she have against me?

I thought I was doing all the right things: not smoking, exercising, not drinking most of my life, and being a vegetarian for 35 years. Of course now I see all the possible contributors: my sweet tooth (insulin), my avoidance of the sun to prevent skin cancer (low vitamin D), the red wine I started drinking a couple of years ago, my avoidance of iodine, those diet sodas. (Not that I regret all the gelato I ate.... )

• pipers_dream
    pipers_dream Member Posts: 187
    edited November 2013
    Options

OK, so getting ready to order Iodoral from Amazon. I'm thinking of getting the 50 mg tabs, which is a high dose, but I figure I need a higher dose at this point. I will still do what the docs advise, but with added iodine, b/c I figure I have to be deficient--I haven't bought iodized salt for years and eat little fish or seaweed. Also, with all the trauma I've been through in the last 3 wks, I have pretty much lost my appetite and I always swore that if that happened I'd be on my deathbed. Well I'm not but I doubt that I've eaten over 1000 cals/day and sometimes less, for that 3 weeks and no weight was lost! And yes, I have a good 40 extra lbs. Doc checked the TSH and it was normal, but I've heard you can have normal levels and still be sluggish. Also, my 19 yo dd just got dxed with low thyroid--she's been a plumpie since she was 3 weeks old and breastfed so I may get her a bottle too. Oh and Jojo, that was a great link.

• jojo68
    edited November 2013
    Options

Pipers...please check out the breastcancerchoices.org website for iodine supplementation!  Don't start at 50mg!  You need to order Lugol's iodine and start out at just one drop of 5% and work your way up.  Your body will panic if you start at that high of a dose.  You MUST also take selenium with iodine or you will destroy your thyroid.  Also need to take vitamin C, magnesium and B vitamins....more info on the protocol on that site...please be careful. xo

• pipers_dream
    edited November 2013
    Options

Jojo, I did check out that site and plan to follow the protocol--and yes I would start with a very small dose b/c once I had a CT scan with rad iodine contrast and had a pretty powerful allergic reaction. I do already take those vitamins plus blackstrap molasses--that's supposed to help with fibroids and the resulting anemia plus it has a good dose of other minerals. One vitamin that I've added to my arsenal too is choline + inositol. Studies have shown that people with the highest level of choline have the lowest level of inflammation and the American Cancer Society website has this to say about inositol: "Laboratory studies of cell cultures have shown that IP6 may help put cancer cells on a path toward normal cell death and may help keep them from spreading to other parts of the body. It may also affect the growth of blood vessels that supply the tumor and the immune system in general. These studies have shown IP6 may have activity against cancer of the pancreas, breast, prostate, colon, and other types of cancer. Results of some studies in cells have also suggested that IP6 may help certain chemotherapy or hormone therapy drugs work better." I know that's just a "studies suggest" thing, but it is a vitamin and I probably won't take it continuously. Oh, and one more fun thing about choline--when I take it I dream much more clearly and am more likely to remember them. That had gone away in later years but my dreams are back. It's because it's a building block of acetyl-choline, which is the neurotransmitter responsible for memory and dreams. Unfortunately results are inconclusive for whether it helps with symptoms of dementia.

Thank you for the caveat though.

• miffwine
    miffwine Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2013
    Options

I've read that shellfish contain a protein which is a common allergen and that, in general, only those who are allergic to iodized salt are at risk for an allergic reaction to iodine supplements.

• Fallleaves
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi Miffwine, I saw your other post. How did you become familiar with the iodine treatment/protocol?

• miffwine
    edited December 2013
    Options

I was looking for answers, trying to make sense of it all, and in the process of reading through several studies, realized that iodine was a common denominator for the issues I was researching. I came across Lynne Farrow's book, read it and started the protocol myself a few months ago. My own results could not be explained any other way or attributed to anything but the iodine and this was eye opening for me. I made a personal decision to do what I can to help others become aware of it.

• jojo68
    edited December 2013
    Options

Yep, Lynn Farrow is one of the best go-to experts for iodine.  She runs a Yahoo and FB group.

• miffwine
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi Jojo, I'm familiar with her sites. I appreciated your quick response to Pipers recently about starting on small doses.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited December 2013
    Options

delete

• NattyOnFrostyLake
    NattyOnFrostyLake Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2013
    Options

There's actually an official article out there saying the policy of endocrinologists is not to treat hypothyroidism until it's really bad. That must be what you're talking about. I finally took Synthroid for a couple years but it didn't do anything. I think it actually made me more sluggish but it raised my blood level of T4. I don't think the T4 ever converted to the usable form of thyroid hormone, T3. I stopped Synthroid and didn't miss it.

After getting to 50 mg Iodine the sluggishness went away. Like Jojo says, the new docs recommend starting lower than 50 mg with the selenium and co-nutrients.

• pipers_dream
    edited December 2013
    Options

My question now is about Iodoral--I may have gotten the wrong kind? I bought the potassium iodine form and then read some little reference to the fact that it must be iodine-iodide or I-2? I'm not sure though b/c I can't find that again nor can I find it on the BC choices website. I've gotten wind of the fact that I may have a particularly rare and aggressive form of ILC and it may have metastasized. Will iodine help? I'm hoping to use it in conjunction with the doc's recommended therapies, which is chemo first, then surgery, radiation, and then more chemo and of course hormone therapy and other nasties I'm sure. I'm taking all of the other recommended vitamins with the Iodoral and am up to 50 mg/day with no side effects--I never did have any.

• miffwine
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi Sunflowers-My doctors test report said that TSH levels between 0.34 and 5.60 were considered normal.I tested at 1.03.I looked into this further on my own and found a 1996 Italian study that was taken among a large number of Italian women revealed that those with TSH levels above 2.5 during their first trimester of pregnancy were 69% more likely have miscarriages than those who did not.Clearly, a TSH level approaching 2.5 was not healthy at all and anything higher should be, literally, off the chart.

Then there was the HUNT study of 25,000 healthy Norwegian men and women that found those people with a TSH level of 1.5 to 2.4 were 41% more likely to die over the next 8 years than those with TSH below 1.5; while those with TSH 2.5-3.4 were 69% more likely to die during that same time.These men and women, who are 41% and 69% more likely to die within 8 years, were all healthy and normal according to U.S. test standards.

• miffwine
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi Pipers-with iodine it's not only how much you take but what your body will absorb. Taking some is better than not taking any at all, but its effectiveness is improved with some preparation in advance. If you live in an urban environment you have chlorine and fluorides in your water. These heavy compounds displace iodine so that your iodine receptors are full of contaminants. Your largest receptor outside of the thyroid itself are your breasts while for men it their prostate.There is no place for the iodine to settle unless you decontaminate these receptors first Most of it simply passes with your urine instead of being absorbed. Think of it like pouring water over a dried out sponge. It takes a while for the sponge to regain its original absorbancy. Before that happens the water just runs off. Lugol's5% is 10% iodine and 15% potassium iodide in water. Iodoral is the same as Lugol's 5% liquid iodine solution in tablet form.

• pipers_dream
    edited December 2013
    Options

Thank you miffwine, but of course I have more questions. First of all, before I got my bottle of Iodoral, I was putting iodide tincture on a toenail to see if it would heal fungus. It did peel my toenail off but I still have the fungus! That was off and on for the last couple of months--I didn't want to do it every day for fear of breaking down my skin, which I've heard is a risk with straight iodine. Then when I started to read this site, I started taking handfuls of kelp pills every day to get some iodine in and then I started slow with the Iodoral and broke up pills into fourths and then halfs and now I'm up to 50 mg/day. Would this be prep enough to get the sponge wet? I do have crappy water where I live so have been buying bottled water but shower in this stuff that smells like pool water.

But again, is Iodoral in potassium iodine form what I want? I thought I read something the other day that said don't get that form, but I can't find it again and wondering if it's my imagination. I looked on amazon again and there are many choices but I can't find anything but KI in 50 mg form on there. I really want to do this right--my life depends on it!

• miffwine
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi pipers. Tincture of iodine is a poisonous, alcohol based solution available over the counter in most drug stores. This is not the formula that experienced iodine practitioners refer to. I’d be cautious too.

Nothing I have read would indicate that increasing your iodine doseage slowly would be counter to a recommended practice.What Is contrary, however, is beginning your iodine supplementation without first detoxifying the receptor sites .Iodine is the lighter element and the sites must first be cleansed of those heavier contaminants before your body can absorb it.

You asked about your tablets. I have seen that some products marketed under the name “Iodoral” contain the proper combination of iodine and potassium iodide and others do not. .I don’t know which you are referring to or using.

To clarify, the lugol's formula iodine is not a brand but a formula. A few different companies produce it. Lugol's formula is defined as a solution of iodine and potassium iodide in pure water, made in various strengths. Typically 2% and 5%.The original lugol's formula by weight, is 10% iodine, 15% potassium iodide, and 75% pure water which yields a 5% solution. Whether in liquid or tablet form, lugol’s iodine is a time tested recipe supported by decades of research and each ingredient is there for a different reason. Liquid lugol's should be consistent and produced according to the strength on the label, regardless of who makes it.

The tablet form should be made according to the same lugols formula or you can’t make a valid comparison.The recommended iodoral tablets that I am familiar with contain 12.5 or 50 mg of lugols iodine formula. It sounds like you are on the right track and I would emphasize only that that the iodine protocol has been tested and refined among several experienced practitioners across thousands of patients, over a period of several years.There are good reasons for the recommendations made.If you unknowingly shortcut or experiment beyond the tested and true, your results may vary unpredictably.

• pipers_dream
    edited December 2013
    Options

Miffwine, I am sorry about all these questions but much of the info is confusing and I'm just not clear about what you mean is the correct process for detoxing receptor sites. Do you mean the salt loading protocol? I thought that was just if you experience a detox reaction. I guess the hives could be that though. Or are you talking about putting the Lugol's on your skin? I'm taking the pills right now but didn't get the Lugols--will get that if you recommend it. Will salt loading help me get rid of the contract dye for CT and bone scans? (which were clear BTW!)

I am taking the other nutrients as well--will probably go buy extra niacin and B2 today though, b/c I take a B formula every day. I think I need more C also, but I only take that at night, due to it conflicting with ADD meds. I'm often low on iron, due to fibroids and doc told me to get back on the pills so I'm taking those too. The melatonin, vit C, Mg, and Ca are helping me sleep better at night and esp with no light in the room. Lots of vitamins but it helps to break them up rather than in a multi formula, b/c of the sleep/awake cycle issues and C being better at night. Oh yeah, and TSH is 2.0.

• miffwine
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi Pipers.The two week salt loading protocol is the one I used.The contaminants we are referring to bond to the salt molecules then are excreted in the urine along with the salt. The recommended process takes two weeks.One of the deficiency tests is to place a drop of lugols on your skin and see how long before it is absorbed.That might be what you are referring to. Whethery ou use the liquid or the tablet I believe is more an issue of convenience. I prefer the liquid because it contains no fillers and goes immediately into my bloodstream when I put the drops in my coffee. I have no answer regarding the dye. Hope this helps.

• pipers_dream
    edited December 2013
    Options

Thanks miffwine, I went ahead and got Lynne's book for my kindle yesterday and that is helping with the info deficit. I did the salt loading yesterday but I want to get iodine into my system asap so kind of going back and forth. Her book said that if you're allergic to contrast dye, iodine shouldn't be a problem for allergies so the hives were probably a detox reaction. Or, what I noticed is that as soon as they even mentioned that I needed a CT scan I got some hives, so it may have been autosuggestion lol. I did get thru the CT scan just fine w/o allergic reactions but I was doped up on prednisone and benadryl. The scans came back clear! So relieved.

Oh yes, and I went back just now and read your post about TSH levels and it sounds like mine could be a bit elevated at 2.0, though not yet dangerous? My 19 yo dd just got dx'ed with hypothyroid and put on synthroid, so I got her a bottle of 12.5 mg iodoral. I wasn't surprised--I've never seen a kid that can sleep the way she does but when checked a couple of years ago they said it was normal. Now I wonder. It's gonna be scary when her little brain wakes up--she's one smart girl.

Jojo, I'm going to look up those yahoo groups but when I tried to find Lynne's group on FB, I came up short. What does she call it?

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited December 2013
    Options

So many anti-supplement articles in the news lately......