We are 194,828 members in 81 forums discussing 144,044 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Has anyone tried Iscador?

Topic: Has anyone tried Iscador?

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Sep 15, 2016 10:44PM - edited Oct 10, 2016 09:42PM by fleur-de-lis

fleur-de-lis wrote:

This Post was deleted by fleur-de-lis.
High Risk due to family history, BRCA1+2 neg., P53 and PTEN neg., Phyllodes Tumor 2009, ALH 2010, Hemioanginonoma 2016, Second Phyllodes Tumor with ILC 2016.

Page 1 of 1 (16 results)

Posts 1 - 16 (16 total)

Sep 16, 2016 12:15AM ChiSandy wrote:

Neulasta is usually given after each chemo treatment, not after surgery, as the whole point is to mitigate the damage chemo causes to the immune system by killing the bone-marrow cells that make the necessary white blood cells. Not sure why you’d expect to need it for a PMX, as surgery doesn’t have the same effect (and though radiation does immunosuppress to a degree, it does so via a different mechanism from chemo). Without concrete proof that you are immunocompromised, and that it’s due to a mechanism by which Neulasta can remedy it, not only wouldn’t insurance pay for it but most reputable practitioners wouldn’t administer it no matter what you were willing to pay.

As to Iscador (mistletoe), it’s used in Europe (and not in conventional medical facilities), but not here. And there is no chemotherapy (synthetic or natural) given for ALH or prophylactically in an otherwise healthy patient with no genetic mutations. Who has told you you are at high risk due to family history? What is your family history: which cancers, what degree relatives? Yes, a PMX might make sense IF you’re truly high-risk. But “energizing” your “immune system” as either adjunct to or substitute for PMX makes no sense. And why would you even think you’d be recommended chemo or rads without a cancer diagnosis, especially if you undergo PMX?

And mistletoe is a poison. (Yeah, it’s natural. So are foxglove, taxol, mustard gas, deadly nightshade, curare, castor bean/ricin, etc.). If (and that’s a big “if” without double-blind studies) it kills cancer that’s probably because it is cytotoxic.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 16, 2016 10:27AM - edited Oct 10, 2016 09:41PM by fleur-de-lis

High Risk due to family history, BRCA1+2 neg., P53 and PTEN neg., Phyllodes Tumor 2009, ALH 2010, Hemioanginonoma 2016, Second Phyllodes Tumor with ILC 2016.

Sep 16, 2016 11:02AM Husband11 wrote:

Have you read up on Maitake D extract? There was some research done about 5 years ago in the US. First on breast cancer patients, as a phase 1 trial to determine optimum dosage, then secondly on myodisplastic patients to test efficacy in boosting certain parameters of the immune system. At the very least, as far as neutrophils counts, my wife has used mushrooms and mushroom extracts and boosted her neutrophil count from 1.3 to 3.05 on only a matter of weeks. There are cautions, as high dosages can depress certain parameters of the immune system. Optimal dosage used in the myodisplastic patients was around 6mg/kg body weight. Read up on it on pubmed and see what you think.

My wife did try mistletoe extract. She was given it intravenously by her naturopath. He used excalating dosages. Unfortunately she got a very adverse reaction and has to discontinue. I'm not sure about intravenous as opposed to subcutateous being a better idea. She got a terrible rash on her scalp that went away when she discontinued the misteltoe.

Concerned husband Dx 2008, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 7/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 5/2016, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine)

Sep 16, 2016 03:05PM ShetlandPony wrote:

Fleur, just in case you haven't tried this: Do a search on Iscador as a key word, then go to the bottom of the page and click on "Sort by Relevancy". You will find threads where Iscador is discussed, and some members who have used it.

2011 Stage I ILC ER+PR+ Her2- 1.5 cm grade 1, ITCs sn. Lumpectomy, radiation, tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC ER+PR+Her2- grade 2, mets to breast, liver, retroperitoneal nodes. Taxol NEAD. 2015,2016 Ibrance+letrozole. 2017 Faslodex+Afnitor; Xeloda

Sep 16, 2016 04:56PM - edited Oct 10, 2016 09:41PM by fleur-de-lis

Sep 16, 2016 05:09PM - edited Oct 10, 2016 09:41PM by fleur-de-lis

Sep 22, 2016 12:10PM rpoole1962 wrote:

I am using a mistletoe from Europe called Abnoba Viscum - Fraxini 20mg. I have so much energy with this!! My naturopath uses this and Iscador and Helixor. I flew out to Tuscon AZ to meet with him and he called a script in for me. I will use it at longs as it makes me feel good!! There is a lady on Inspire that has been using it for years. You might want to check out the Inspire.com website and do a search on Iscador.

Good Luck!

Dx 6/24/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/17/2011 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Nipple reconstruction, Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/1/2011 CMF Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 3/4/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 11/17/2014, IDC, <1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs/other, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/17/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 3/31/2015 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 12/10/2015 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 1/1/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 2/21/2016 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Dx 2/22/2016, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Dx 11/8/2016, Stage IV, metastasized to liver Chemotherapy 11/15/2016 Xeloda (capecitabine)

Oct 5, 2016 10:10AM - edited Oct 10, 2016 09:41PM by fleur-de-lis

Jan 16, 2017 07:40PM fleur-de-lis wrote:

I have not posted on this forum in some time.....removed some of my postings when a local colleague recognized my story......anyway, I felt that I needed to bring this thread back "up-to-date" and share my experience with Helixor mistletoe therapy.

I started this a few weeks before the recent Phyllodes/ILC DX........which was successfully treated with MX and immediate recon after I started the Helixor injections.....luckily I was able to get up to a rather high dose pretty quickly...50ml. I am heading to 100ml the maximum dosage.

So it was not for cancer treatment, nor for future cancer prevention per see, but for low WBC and NK cell counts, as this therapy is known to raise those counts. I have a immune deficiency for which I use gamma globulin weekly.

Within three months my WBC counts went from 2.9 to 8.3 ......sorry, but that is just amazing to me! Only treatment modality that proved this increase before were Colony Stimulators, such as Neurlasta, Neupogen. These, at least for me, come with some rather inconvenient side effects....pain, and brain fog....both of which can be addressed via use of Claritin and Ultram.

No problems with Ultram, but the Claritin antihistamine lowers my blood pressure to the low 90's. I cannot do my job, which requires a bit of intellect, when I am suffering from brain fog due to low BPressure! Claritin D does not work for the bone pain which comes part and parcel with colony stimulators.

So I have had good luck with the mistletoe therapy, so far....cannot comment on it's usage in Cancer per see, as I would have been eligible for immunotherapy, if I had needed it.

Jan 16, 2017 10:42PM zarovka wrote:

fleur de lis - thank you very much. i am tip toeing towards the mistletoe treatment, as it were. the main issue right now is that i can't get mistletoe.

>Z<

PM me if you would like to join a BCO Stage IV FitBit Community. Dx 12/28/2015, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 1/16/2016 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/1/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jan 16, 2017 11:25PM abigail48 wrote:

I rhink you can get it in northern europe someplace, I forget exactly. expensve

Jan 16, 2017 11:29PM abigail48 wrote:

helixor in germany. this isn't the place I remembered but that was 34 years ago when I first heard about it

Jan 16, 2017 11:38PM zarovka wrote:

My doctor wants me on iscador. He's very particular about the brand. It's not sold in the US, but I could get it on amazon when I visit canada, which happens occasionally.

>Z<

PM me if you would like to join a BCO Stage IV FitBit Community. Dx 12/28/2015, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 1/16/2016 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/1/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jan 29, 2017 04:17PM sarahrae wrote:

hi all!

question: sounds like Iscador work better intravenously, is it worth taking orally? Can you order it for home injection?

thanks for any info!

sarah rae Dx 2/19/2016, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/9/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy Whole-breast

Jan 29, 2017 08:32PM zarovka wrote:

It works pretty well as an sub-cutaneous injection, but not orally. I am still trying to figure out how to get it. If anyone has a lead how to get Iscador, please PM me.

>Z<

Jan 30, 2017 03:37AM Heidihill wrote:

You need a doctor's prescription and monitoring. My onc didn't recommend it when I asked him about it many years ago but said it acts by causing an allergic reaction. So caution needed. I would only do it with someone very experienced.  I have allergies already so not keen on adding another. My mistletoe is natural birch pollen and company, which make me miserable enough. The antihistamines I take supposedly might block a histamine pathway some cancer cells use. My onc is happy to prescribe antihistamines. Weleda USA, the manufacturer of Iscador, might provide it to your doctor directly. I have read of recalls of Iscador so the doctor has to monitor this as well.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-09-11/news/ph-om-believe-big-0905-20130911_1_mistletoe-iscador-alternative-cancer-Treatment

According to the above, 50 doctors in the US are allowed to prescribe mistletoe for certain cases. 

Dx 8/2007, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 2/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 3/24/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (16 results)