We are 187,456 members in 81 forums discussing 140,966 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Timing of acupuncture during chemo

Topic: Timing of acupuncture during chemo

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Nov 13, 2016 09:22PM

intothewoods wrote:

Hello ladies,

I'm trying acupuncture to help with nausea and for immune support. I'd love to hear of your experiences and if you had acupuncture prophylacticly for nausea before your treatment or after.

Lisa

Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. Viktor Frankl Dx 7/12/2007, IDC, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+, HER2- Dx 2/27/2014, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 4/2/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/5/2015 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy 9/1/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Doxil (doxorubicin)

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Nov 17, 2016 07:25AM gemini4 wrote:

Hi Lisa,

Sorry I can't offer first-hand advice, only an anecdote from a work colleague who told me that the only round of chemo in which she skipped acupuncture yielded the worst side effects of chemo. She said acupuncture really took the edge off chemo's SEs.

I did not have chemo, but I did get acupuncture treatments when I was undergoing radiation. I thought it helped with my overall energy level, and the experience itself was very relaxing.

This doesn't answer your question about timing during chemo -- maybe you should post this same question in the Chemo forum. Best of luck!

xo,
Gemini4

Age 48 at Dx, pre-menopause / OncoType score 16, no chemo Dx 12/7/2012, ILC, 1cm, Stage IB, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/19/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 1/14/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/10/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 4/3/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 17, 2016 09:19AM meg2016 wrote:

I did treatments at least once a week during chemo. I started before my first treatment. I found the effects were somewhat cumulative, I actually experienced less side effects as my chemo went on as I acupuncture. For my treatments, she did points for nausea, immunity, and neuropathy. I was also able to have insurance pay for my accupunture.

Dx 3/2016, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 6/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 9/14/2016 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 10/1/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy AC Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Nov 17, 2016 12:13PM VickiRides wrote:

I did acupuncture throughout chemo and radiation and I truly believe it helped. I was able to continue working full time and experienced only mild SE during chemo. I went weekly during chemo, then tapered off to where I am now going just once a month (chemo ending in January and last radiation treatment was in April). My insurance did not cover acupuncture, but it was offered at a reduced rate at my cancer center.

Dx 7/2/2015, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/13/2015 Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 8/19/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 2/21/2016 Breast, Lymph nodes

Nov 23, 2016 12:16PM intothewoods wrote:

thank you for your posts Meg and Vicki!

:-

Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. Viktor Frankl Dx 7/12/2007, IDC, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+, HER2- Dx 2/27/2014, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 4/2/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/5/2015 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy 9/1/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Doxil (doxorubicin)

Jan 26, 2017 08:33AM Amapola36 wrote:

Doing acupuncture at MSKCCs integrative medicine center. Acupuncturist said day before chemo is best and ideally to go every week but if weekly wasn't possible the best benefits were the day before, max 2 days before. I am doing it weekly and also fasting for 48 hours prior to chemo and 24 post chemo so hoping SEs will stay under control :)

Oncotype score 16. Luminal A. Still landed in Chemo (CMF). Nothing but good times ahead! :) Dx 10/18/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)