We are 185,977 members in 80 forums discussing 140,322 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Caffeine and green tea

Topic: Caffeine and green tea

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Mar 20, 2017 09:35PM

Lottemarine wrote:

just wondering what everyone thinks about caffeine. I've read that potentially (too much of it) can alter breast issue and cause breast lumps (fibros, cystic disease etc) and we all know high volumes aren't good for the body in general...but what about caffeine in green tea then? Whilst green tea is supposed to be anti-cancer, it still contains caffeine..

Dx 9/18/2015, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 11/1/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Mar 20, 2017 09:52PM gmmiph wrote:

Interesting topic. Good question.

In my opinion, caffeine has benefits when taken in moderation, whether in coffee or green tea. I guess a cup a day won't do any harm preferably if you choose those that are organic and naturally-brewed. I also think that coffee may be more harmful than green tea because of how they are made. Coffee is roasted before being grinded and that may mean more carcinogens especially if the machines used are old, dirty and overheated. Green tea are usually just placed in driers to take away the moisture and therefore, less processing is involved.

There are also similar conflicting issues in soy and flaxseed. The main thing is to take everything in moderation. IMHO.

Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them". Dx 2/10/2016, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/21/2016 Chemotherapy 11/3/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Apr 1, 2017 07:44PM Lillylover wrote:

If you google coffee and breast cancer you'll find a number of articles that say it doesn't increase riskand in fact lowers risk in postmenopausal women.

Apr 2, 2017 08:51PM edwards750 wrote:

I have read the same articles Lilly and in fact some studies have shown coffee reduces the chances of a recurrence. The studies make no distinction what kind of coffee either. I'm going with that.

Diane

Apr 3, 2017 02:11AM Momine wrote:

Thanks Lilly. I have read the same. There are other health benefits from caffeine besides. Notsure why people are so afraid of coffee/caffeine. Obviously, as with anything really, moderation is a good idea, but I know of no harm that comes froma few cups of coffee or tea a day

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 19, 2017 06:54PM MexicoHeather wrote:

My very first gyno said, "You have tiny, fibro cystic breasts, so don't drink coffee." Her advice was ignored because I love my coffee.

Green teas are delicious and good for you. I'm more concerned about sugar and creamer additives than the coffee itself, so I drink it black.

Dios es Amor. Dx 10/1/2016, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/5/2016 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 1/19/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)