We are 196,647 members in 81 forums discussing 144,825 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Holistically lowering chance of TNBC recurrence

Topic: Holistically lowering chance of TNBC recurrence

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Nov 8, 2017 12:41PM

Nifer wrote:

Hello, I am wonder what TNBC people are doing to lower chance of recurrence. I am still in the treatment phase so right now it's all about managing side affects but I am looking at all the research of what I can do to lower my risk of recurrence. So far I know how important exercise is. I also have tried to eliminate sugar. I am trying to change to a mediterranean diet. I switched from drinking coffee to green tea. I take supplements such as fish oil. What is everyone else doing?

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Nov 8, 2017 01:29PM wrenn wrote:

I feel that stress is the biggest factor in my immune function so I did decrease sugar but am keeping things ‘liveable’ by not being too anal about it all. My one cup of coffee is a morning ritual that gives me more peace than giving it up would do for general health.

I am also learning through mindfulness meditation to be compassionate with myself about it all. I am doing ok 4 years out without treatment and am slowly starting to chill about recurrence fears. :)

I’ve learned from this site and elsewhere that apart from reducing sugar and exercise the other trends are not very meaningful to me. Every day there is a new one and they often contradict themselves.

Wishing you peace

Metaplastic IDC Triple negative...Tumour is 1.5cm. BMX Aug. 16th. Chemo cancelled after one dose due to complications. Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/16/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 11/25/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Nov 8, 2017 01:43PM ksusan wrote:

You may want to search for some of the recently posted studies suggesting that whole soy products (tofu, edamame, for example) may decrease recurrence for hormone-negative women.

Mutant uprising quashed. Dx 1/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2015, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Nov 8, 2017 05:00PM amtreb wrote:

Hi Nifer-

I would also include Vit D in keeping your immune system functioning. Or at least get your level checked to see where you are. I will likely do quarterly IV Vit C therapy as well as chinese herbal therapy for the next couple of years. I am working with an integrative oncologist who is a wealth of info if you want to look her up. I am thru chemo and my mastectomy and just have my TE/implant swap surgery to go.

heres her website if you want to look her up:

www.nalinichilkov.com

Dx 2/2/2017, IDC: Medullary, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Nov 11, 2017 10:51AM Icietla wrote:

There is this thread that may give you some leads__

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/72/topics/853454?page=1

Dx 2/12/2016, ILC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/19/2016 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2016 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/25/2016 Prophylactic ovary removal

Nov 11, 2017 11:03PM Kayrem wrote:

Hi Nifer

All of the suggestions above are great. I believe I am still here 6.5 years out because I drink tons of green tea and used to (and have restarted) taking tumeric/theracurcumin.

The articles listed below are why.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/1710...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/1503...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/1702...

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/article/curcumin-amelo...

My neutrophils have always been low (around 1.2 - normal range was 1.8 - 7.7) but interestingly I never got sick. Used to bother me but not anymore. My neutrophils went up to normal when I went off tumeric and green tea for some prophy procedures. After the procedures I resumed the tea and tumeric and brought my numbers down again.

Every year I try and get my bloodwork done. Last year all my doctor wanted to do was testing for cholesterol. Had a real battle with my doctor last year but no problem this year after showing her a couple of the articles above. I told her I need to know where my neutrophils are as a way of managing my metabolic disorder (my BRCA1 mutation).

I also have high cholesterol and will be starting medication after she gets my recent bloodwork. I am not going to mess around with it after reading the above info.

I take 4000 IU of vitamin D3 and I am not even near the middle range. My doctor told me to up it to 5000 IU. I have told my sister and my friend to get their Vitamin D level checked. Both are on 6000 IU after receiving their results. Vitamin D is huge for triple negatives.

I also do strenuous exercise (elliptical) every other day for 40 minutes -with a heart rate monitor so that my heart rate is over 130.

I try to eat low fat but that has gone out the window and I have gained over 20 lbs. oh well....

Good luck with your plan

Dx 6/13/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 6/30/2011 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 9/15/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/21/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 3/14/2013 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 5/21/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

Nov 12, 2017 03:23PM Nifer wrote:

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I also take 5000 iu of vitamin D3, astragalus, and Beta Glucans.

Kayrem- interesting articles. Thanks for sharing. I have heard alot about tumeric. How much do you take?

Amtrem- I too have thought about the IV vit c therapy. Anyone else have knowledge or experience with this?

Great tips...keep them coming. This helpful to stay on track.

Nov 12, 2017 09:14PM abigail48 wrote:

give

it a break now and then I hear so it keeps working, reason it didn't work for liunus pauling

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)