Join Us

We are 218,776 members in 84 forums discussing 161,218 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: retailers: who is removing toxic chemicals?

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Mar 12, 2018 03:03PM

peggy_j wrote:

Not sure where to post this but FYI. This org grades the retailers based on how they are working to remove our exposure to toxic chemicals. I was surprised that Trader Joe's got an F. They are "working on" removing BPA from their register receipts (which means it hasn't happened). Even stores who have switched to different paper may expose us to BPS, which may have risk too. (this makes me think: don't take any receipt).

http://retailerreportcard.com/retailers/

I heard about this org from Breast Cancer Prevention Partners (formerly The Breast Cancer Fund); they are working to *prevent* BC by reducing our exposure to toxic chemicals, such as BPA.

Dx 2/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Mar 12, 2018 04:02PM Denise-G wrote:

Thank you for posting this!

www.denise4health.wordpress.com my BC Blog with over 200 informative posts about all aspects of BC - stop by! Myself, my mom, and sister were all diagnosed with BC within 3 years. What a ride! Dx 10/10/2011, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 11/22/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 12/26/2011 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 2/27/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 10/10/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Mar 12, 2018 07:44PM ksusan wrote:

May I add Environmental Working Group (www.ewg.org) as a great source of product information? I rely on them for data on cleaning supplies, hygiene products, laundry soap, and other items.

Mutant uprising quashed. Dx 1/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2015, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Mar 12, 2018 10:18PM MO-Beth wrote:

Great post...many people (including myself) are looking for this helpful information. THANK YOU!

Mar 13, 2018 12:09AM ShetlandPony wrote:

EWG also evaluates cosmetics, hair and skin care products, etc. I shop with their web site open on my phone.

2011 Stage I ILC 1.5cm grade1 ITCs sn Lumpectomy,radiation,tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD

Mar 14, 2018 12:21PM peggy_j wrote:

Yes, I love EWG's ranking of body care products.

Did you know they are now ranking prepared food products? This is news to me.

https://www.ewg.org/foodscores/content/user-guide#...

FWIW, I don't know if it's completely reliable. I checked a couple of things at TJs. EWG gave the almond butter a very good rating, even though it's in a plastic jar (I'm choosing another brand that's stored in glass, to be safe. I heard BPA is more likely to leach into food that's high in fat or highly acidic (like tomato sauce) and we all know it's worse at high heat, and it's likely these warehouses and trucks exposure the products to high heat). So I guess we can still use our judgement.

Dx 2/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 8, 2018 07:28AM Hogwarts wrote:

Hello all,

Am impressed that you are familiar with ewg.org. Way to go!!!

Thought I'd mention a food shopping guide that points to the healthiest food choices. It's thru the Weston Price Foundation and they now have a phone app, that gets regularly updated.

Cheers! Hogwarts

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)