We are 205,978 members in 81 forums discussing 148,910 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Changing Diet and lifestyle to prevent recurrence

Topic: Changing Diet and lifestyle to prevent recurrence

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Apr 9, 2018 06:15PM

HapB wrote:

Hi. I am starting this thread to share information and resources on Nurtritional Science and lifestyle changes that can help BC patients to prevent recurrence and return to health during and after treatment. There is a lot of information available and it can be a daunting task to sort through it. I now believe that it has been shown that what we put into our bodies and how we live effects our health and that we can prevent diseases like cancer, heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, obesity. Sounds simple, right? Yet, there are many who disagree and prefer to rely on medicines to repair the damage after the fact. After our medical treatments for cancer are over, our bodies, minds, and spirits are depleted and we have to rebuild. I have been feverishly researching, reading, and trying to sort through the vast amount of evidence based knowledge about nutrition and I hope we can share our resources here. Let's put our heads together and get well!

Page 17 of 21 (609 results)

Posts 481 - 510 (609 total)

May 15, 2018 11:08PM SpecialK wrote:

hap - I use a fine strainer like for sifting - link below, or if I am in a hurry - Whole Foods has good frozen cooked quinoa with sweet potatoes and zucchini - only those three ingredients - all organic.

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Strainer-Sturdy-Handle-Wider/dp/B06XGHP6S9

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3

May 16, 2018 02:09AM solfeo wrote:

Today's lunch. Salmon salad lettuce wraps and olives

Oncotype 13 Dx 7/31/2015, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/7/2015 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 11/17/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 16, 2018 02:23AM HapB wrote:

Solfeo, that looks fantastic! Great idea!

For anyone interested, here is a link to register for a webinar by the American Institute for Cancer Research on “ Diet, Nutrition, Physical Activity and Cancer”. You have to pre-register and it is on May 24th.

https://www.webcaster4.com/Webcast/Page/219/25055

May 16, 2018 02:46AM - edited May 16, 2018 02:49AM by FarAwayToo

solfeo, your lunch looks amazing! I read about your journey on keto, and it's inspiring. As I found out, I can stick to pretty much any diet with relative ease, but I need to be sure it is helping and not harming me.

What do you think about all this research that promotes low fat diet for breast cancer survivors?

Dx 8/31/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS, Left, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/29/2017 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 2/27/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 2/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

May 16, 2018 02:54AM DearLife wrote:

That looks delicious Solfeo 😋! I am going to try that

HapB, I watched the Human Longevity video. Lots of good info and I learned a lot about cell biology (though still very complex to me). More reinforcement to exercise regularly, not just to prevent cancer but also to combat brain disease. But I am not sure I agree with the speaker who says cancer results from lack of forgiveness or unreleased anger.

What do you think about the role of emotions in contributing to cancer? My fear is that as women we tend to self blame and this rationale encourages that.

But maybe this is true for some people, while others may be more sensitive to toxins in the environment or unhealthy foods.

I've looked at clouds from both sides now. Dx 12/1/1998, LCIS, Right Dx 1/9/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/26/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 3/1/2018, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 4/17/2018 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

May 16, 2018 03:29AM HapB wrote:

DearLife, I think that any unresolved issues that cause chronic stress do damage to our bodies at the cellular level and could contirbute to cancer and other diseases. Maybe weakened immune systems from stress make our bodies less able to handle toxins that healthier bodies could process? I can speak for myself and say that I had chronic stress and unresolvable issues for many years. A prolonged and stressful divorce, raising a child alone(God, those teenage years were tough), working long and stress filled hours to keep a roof over our heads, on top of all the other everyday stresses we all have. I do think my lifestyle was unhealthy and contributed to my poor health. Now that I am preparing all my of my meals at home, I realize how terrible my diet on the road was. Not good. So, yes, I think there is something to stress causing disease, but Not just unresolved anger.

May 16, 2018 03:38AM - edited May 16, 2018 03:46AM by solfeo

I think the kind of fat, and how much you eat vs. how much you burn, and what you are eating with it, all matters very much. The reason speculated for why high fat dairy products in particular might contribute to breast cancer, is because of the hormones. Even organic milk comes from pregnant cows. Olive oil is not going to raise anyone's estrogen level, but I'm not personally going to eat a lot of butter as someone with a history of ER+ breast cancer.

There is evidence to suggest ketogenic diets are good for cancer, for metabolic reasons. Women with lower fasting blood glucose levels have a lower risk of recurrence. You may have also heard fasting 13 or more hours per day might also reduce risk. It's because it keeps your blood sugar lower, for longer periods of time. Mine is low all of the time. All of the fat I eat gets burned for fuel, because my body doesn't have to burn through 300 grams of carbs first, before it can even start on the fat. Ketogenic diets are also known to reduce visceral fat - that stuff around the middle that is responsible for heart attacks and excess estrogen production. If you really want to learn more about it, I suggest doing some more reading on your own, because it would take me forever to explain why all of this is true.

As has been discussed, a Mediterranean style diet is often recommended for breast cancer. That is not a low fat diet. It's a diet rich in all of the healthy fats you see on my plate above. Even the mayo in the salmon salad is made from avocado oil.

Oncotype 13 Dx 7/31/2015, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/7/2015 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 11/17/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 16, 2018 03:44AM HapB wrote:

I saw this link on another thread regarding osteopenia and osteoporosis. The article questions the diagnosis and treatment, asserting that the WHO arbitrarily turned a normal condition of aging into a disease. I don't know what I think at this point. I am a woman who was talked into taking HRT to protect my bones and heart, only to find out years later that HRT caused BC, which has now led to treatments that have damaged my heart and the AI’s cause bone thinning, which necessitates the need for infusions of Prolia or Zomeda to repair that damage. So, my head spins sometimes.

www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/oste...

May 16, 2018 04:07AM HoneyBeaw wrote:

Ladies

Very confused on the effects of CBD oils on and Leterzole. How does it effect these drugs, I have been looking into taking CBD oil but did not understand the posted link.

Thanks

Surgery 11/27/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 12/5/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/26/2016 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 1/15/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

May 16, 2018 04:44AM - edited May 16, 2018 06:03AM by solfeo

HoneyBeaw - if you mean the link I posted about CBD oil, that only applied to tamoxifen. I can't say CBD is unsafe with letrozole because I don't know one way or the other, but it wouldn't be in exactly the same way it could interfere with tamoxifen. They are metabolized differently. Tamoxifen has to be broken down into active metabolites to work, and letrozole does the job in its original form.

May 16, 2018 07:50AM Momine wrote:

HapB, I make salads with quinoa. Cook it, then add halved baby romas, avocado, cucumber, peppers etc. I make a dressing from herbs (typically a whole bunch of cilantro or parsley), olive oil and lemon. Put it all in a blender. I do the same with a base of either lentils or chickpeas.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

May 16, 2018 10:06AM - edited May 16, 2018 01:10PM by Wildplaces

I try and make a salad of quinoa, radishes,pickled or roasted beetroot, grated carrot, spinach or roquette, raisins, sunflower seeds and a citrus oil, honey dressing

This was a derailment on a busy day, I took the pic to remind myself that busy can be managed... - ad hoc added celery leaves, a bit of left over rice, rather then quinoa, crumbled fetta because I was craving salt...😱, ohhh yes and you can spot a few lost broccolini. Okay perhaps looking a bit of mess but I was hungry and it was filling, full of good stuff.

I also like a mostly 'green salad' of green beans, broccoli, parsley, left over pieces of roasted pumpkin or roasted cherry tomatoes, spring onions or roasted garlic, pumpkin seeds and an aioli type dressing.

I hope you keep the ideas coming ladies - I have cook books but I rarely cook from them - I enjoy cooking what the women before me or around me did for their families - nothing like the filter of love and experience.😊🌷🐣

Dx 8/5/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/11/2016 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 9/11/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 2/20/2017 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 16, 2018 02:17PM Warrior2018 wrote:

Good morning! All the salads look amazing!

I’ve been going back and forth about the keto diet. For me I’d follow a vegan keto diet. After watching The Magic Pill and doingresearch, I’ve been watching my grain/carb/healthy fat intake a little more closely. My uncertainty revolves around what proportion is good for me specifically and is what I’m doing now enough.

Breakfast:

I’ve never tried these overnight oats. A serving is very filling to me. I also added strawberries. This will last half the day! The drink is one of my favorites. I also like their energy lemon lime and the beauty elixir. Anyone else including more Adaptogens in their diet?

“Whatever satisfies the soul is truth.”———— Please excuse the typos, I’m always on my phone :) Dx 3/14/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 4/25/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

May 16, 2018 02:27PM Heidihill wrote:

I had those same wine glasses, wildplaces. Cheers! I will have to try your dressing, Momine.

For lunch I had leafy greens, carrots and radish in a salad, basmati rice with scallions and sesame seeds, spinach and paneer cheese Indian-style. My Mediterranean diet has a lot of Asian flavors and ingredients. 

Dx 8/2007, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 2/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 3/25/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 16, 2018 02:52PM HapB wrote:

Good morning, the salads look great. wildplaces, what is the white drink in the pic?

Warrior, I don't know about “adaptogens"? What is in that powder?

I am off to have my first mammogram since since surgery and I don't plan to eat at all until dinner, so I don't have digestion issues from stress. I am praying with confidence that all will be clean, though i am so lumpy from treatment, I donkt see how they will read this mammo.

Redemptive, I am reading your book and I love it. It is bringing up a lot of emotion for me becaus I have gone through this year pretty much alone and my faith has been my unspoken anchor. I was raised a Catholic, and don’t know the bible, so I am appreciating the references.

All will be well

May 16, 2018 04:34PM Warrior2018 wrote:

Wishing you well on your appt, HapB. ❤️

Here’s the link to the drink mix. https://www.amazinggrass.com/#

Adaptogenic herbs are said to support energy levels and help the body adapt to stress.

I’ve just started trying the different mixes like the belly and beauty elixirs which contain them. I’ve tried a couple of the raw mixes too. The mixes aren’t too grainy, which is usually my problem with these mixes because I just add water and drink. I like them all so far.

“Whatever satisfies the soul is truth.”———— Please excuse the typos, I’m always on my phone :) Dx 3/14/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 4/25/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

May 16, 2018 08:05PM - edited May 16, 2018 08:06PM by solfeo

I have mentioned ashwagandha before. It's an adaptogenic herb, with many scientifically studied health benefits. The specific issues it helped to address in me: insomnia, hypothyroidism (lowered TSH to normal without meds!), high cortisol (stress hormone), and high C Reactive Protein (CRP - an inflammation marker). Ashwagandha is the only adaptogen I will take because the others I looked into that are often included in the various formulas might interfere with tamoxifen metabolism.

Here is an excellent compilation of available ashwagandha research.

May 16, 2018 10:46PM Warrior2018 wrote:

Thank you posting that link Solfeo. I just started adding the adaptogens back into my diet since since I had to be off all supplements before and after surgery. Just last week I was “ok’d” to integrate them back in. I agree that Ashwagandha is such a great herb to inc

May 16, 2018 11:41PM DearLife wrote:

Mango and black bean salad with brown rice, green onions and lime/olive oil dressing. Also a bit of salsa and cilantro if you like it.

HapB, thinking of you and your test today ❤️

I've looked at clouds from both sides now. Dx 12/1/1998, LCIS, Right Dx 1/9/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/26/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 3/1/2018, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Hormonal Therapy 4/17/2018 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

May 16, 2018 11:55PM Warrior2018 wrote:

Yum!!!

May 17, 2018 02:07AM - edited May 17, 2018 02:08AM by HapB

DearLife, that looks yummy! I don't use black beans too much because I have never taken the time ti cook them. Do you soak overnight and everything?

I just got home from the city and too tired to cook, so will make a smoothie. I won’t find out about the mammogram until Friday when I see my MO, which is different. They used to tell me right there. It is out of my hands and I am going it put it out of my mind if I can. It really hurt on the lumpectomy side. Ouch!

May 17, 2018 02:15AM DearLife wrote:

Hi HapB

I just used canned beans. Easy peasy. (Or easy beany!) But dried ones are better, if you plan ahead. I read that you can cook a big batch then freeze in smaller portions.

Fingers crossed for you!

May 17, 2018 02:18AM Wildplaces wrote:

Heidi - that lunch sounds divine. I went back to them when I realised I could pour a third of a bottle into the modern large cup ones...

Solfeo - I take ashwagandha - I like it - agree 😊

DearLife - yum - now I have a main/entree idea for mangoThank you!!

HapB - it's home made yoghurt - I set it in little jars overnight.

I hope this is going to make you smile - I am thinking of getting a Vitamix for grinding different flours and maybe making almond milk.

I would like to thank you all - learning so much from this thread.

Dx 8/5/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/11/2016 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 9/11/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 2/20/2017 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 17, 2018 02:24AM HapB wrote:

Wildplaces, I love my Vitamix! Wish I had gotten it sooner. So, I was just thinking of making a cauliflower curry soup tonight. I just make it right in the vitamix! So easy, like making a smoothie, but it heats up the ingredients too! They were just on sale for Mother’s Day

May 17, 2018 03:03AM DearLife wrote:

I am off supplements until I finish radiation (only 6 more yay) and have never heard of ashwaghanda but looked it up on the Sloan Kettering app called About Herbs. Looks very interesting.

If you haven't seen it, try this app - it is fun to use and evidence-based.

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/diagnosis-treatment/symptom-management/integrative-medicine/herbs/about-herbs

May 17, 2018 05:11AM - edited May 17, 2018 05:16AM by solfeo

I want to recommend a book for anyone interested in learning more about a ketogenic diet for cancer. It was personally recommended to me by the most well known researcher in the field, Dr. Thomas Seyfriend, whom I have corresponded with. He wrote the forward, and has written a book of his own, but his is geared more toward other scientific types. This one is easier for a patient to grasp, and there are others if you look on Amazon.

Keto for Cancer: Ketogenic Metabolic Therapy as a Targeted Nutritional Strategy by Miriam Kalamanian

I never try to push my diet on anyone, because the basic truth of the situation is that there is no diet that has been proven as the best one for cancer, and everyone has to make that decision for themselves. There are only theories, but keto is just as legitimate a choice as any other. If you're interested in trying it for whatever reason, you shouldn't be discouraged because other people are afraid of things they don't understand. There are keto threads here on the boards where you can get questions answered from folks who have been doing quite well on the diet for years, including myself. It's been kind of quiet lately, but there is always someone who will jump in to help when needed.

May 17, 2018 05:59AM FarAwayToo wrote:

Thank you, solfeo, I've read a few books on nutrition since diagnosis. Even if I don't adopt all the recommendations, I like to read and understand the scientific basis for them.

Dx 8/31/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS, Left, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/29/2017 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 2/27/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 2/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

May 17, 2018 06:03AM HapB wrote:

Solfeo, thanks for the recommendation. I have been reading quite a bit about keto diet, both positive and negative. I think Seyfriend is at Boston College and is not a MD? I am aware of the diets utlitiy with children with seizure disorders, as I had a couple of former clients who benefitted from it. I have one book on the subject.

Most in the alternative cancer community dismiss the diet. I am open to learning, but the diet itself does not appeal to me, mainly because I don’t eat meat and don’t feel very well when I eat fats.

I plan to look into this more. I just realized that during this past year, I have spent a lot of money on books, so time for me to go to the library

May 17, 2018 06:34AM HapB wrote:

Solfeo, and anyone interested in reading a published article by Seyfriend before you read the book itself:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3941741/

Solfeo, is there a book that gives concrete guidance on what to eat and when? How long do you stay on the diet?

May 17, 2018 06:52AM stephaniebc wrote:

DearLife, about the contribution of emotions to cancer:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/p...

The theories on the emotional roots of cancer have no sound basis. Susan Sontag already figured it out 40 years ago.

Dx 11/2016, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 12/13/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy 3/16/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 3/16/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Page 17 of 21 (609 results)