We are 204,761 members in 81 forums discussing 148,355 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment → Topic: Changing Diet and lifestyle to prevent recurrence

Topic: Changing Diet and lifestyle to prevent recurrence

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Apr 9, 2018 10:15AM

HapB wrote:

Hi. I am starting this thread to share information and resources on Nurtritional Science and lifestyle changes that can help BC patients to prevent recurrence and return to health during and after treatment. There is a lot of information available and it can be a daunting task to sort through it. I now believe that it has been shown that what we put into our bodies and how we live effects our health and that we can prevent diseases like cancer, heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, obesity. Sounds simple, right? Yet, there are many who disagree and prefer to rely on medicines to repair the damage after the fact. After our medical treatments for cancer are over, our bodies, minds, and spirits are depleted and we have to rebuild. I have been feverishly researching, reading, and trying to sort through the vast amount of evidence based knowledge about nutrition and I hope we can share our resources here. Let's put our heads together and get well!

Page 4 of 5 (124 results)

Posts 91 - 120 (124 total)

Apr 14, 2018 02:56PM HapB wrote:

I just saw this Consumer Reports, for those who eat meat and dairy products in the USA. The issue of whether or not animals have been treated with antibiotics or hormones is problematic because the labels are not necessarily trustworthy and go unregulated. I don’t know how to get around this. I do eat “ organic” chicken from time to time, but now I am not sure what that even means.

Apr 14, 2018 04:45PM Egads007 wrote:

HapB - the report is for the most part accurate. There is no real standard. What can be checked into is the standards that your organic supplier adheres to. There are a few ‘associations’ that encompass growers/raisers that must follow strict guidelines on methods and sustainability. I buy meat from a local farm whose facility is open to customer inspection, and gladly make available their policy and standards. They build their reputation on it. You could contact any supplier and ask questions in order to find the best products to buy, whether chicken or any other food item. With the glut of products available you have your work cut out for you, but it’s worth the effort. Along with the recipes I’ve promised to post I’ll include some handy info on purchasing that might be helpful if you’d like. I have a heavy schedule this weekend but will get to it.

As for the vodka, nawww, not a good choice anyway. I rarely partake, occasional red wine.

Heart

"I base all my fashion choices on what doesn't itch" (Gilda Radner) Chemotherapy 3/20/2013 Doxil (doxorubicin), Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 8/23/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2013 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Apr 14, 2018 06:20PM HapB wrote:

egads, I live in a more urban environment where there are no local farms and virutally all of the meat available to me(and probably most women) are from large factory type farms. It is hard to trust these huge corporations to do the right thing with our food supply. I just might have to move to a lovely pastoral type environment in my old age!

Apr 14, 2018 07:01PM HapB wrote:

Let’s talk hair. I am at the point where my hair is coming in thick and curly, though I have always had thick and straight hair. I want to encourage faster growth, but Herceptin is slowing things down. Also, I think the AI is making it brittle and dry.

The foods that I have been told are good for hair growth, are :

Eggs, for protein and biotin; Dark leafy greens for iron; citrus fruit for collagen orisuction; Nuts, seeds, for Omega3 ; wild caught salmon; whole grains for zinc and B vitamins; avocado for vitamin E; carrots for vitamin A.

Am I missing something? I know there is no product that is going to be applied topically that will help at this point. I tried various oils, like castor oil, vitamin e oil, coconut oil. I use the oils to try to tame the curls, but I don’t think they are making my hair grow any faster. I am using bobby pins and a headband to try to make it look like this short mass of poodle curls look like a hairdo. I am not vain, but I look like a crazy person.....hahaha.

Any magic potions out there?

Apr 15, 2018 04:57AM Wildplaces wrote:

HapB,

No magic portion but if anyone knows please post.

I get my VIt D from iherb in liquid form - it comes in these small dark coloured bottles with a top spray. When I finish the vit D I fill them up within olive or apricot little plus VIt E and stick them in my bags. It's cheap & natural - I spray them on just about anything that dries, including hair. I have never been a high end cosmetic person - I could never justify the cost. I have no trouble spending on travel.

( and yes a big of a plug for the States pharma stuff - much better labels than anything we have - I really like buying online from you guys !!!)

(()

Dx 8/5/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/11/2016 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 9/11/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 15, 2018 05:38PM Moonlight51 wrote:

Thank you for the info. Im working on my new way of eating and making lists of foods that can help me prevent a reoccurrence, but sometimes I find information that it is simply contradictory about certain foods. Im looking for those foods that are good at decreasing estrogen production. Suggestions are welcome.

Apr 15, 2018 05:45PM HapB wrote:

I need to update my equipment. I have been using a Nutriblast and Hamilton blender for smoothies and a Jack LaLane Power Juicer for juicing. I live alone, so I want small equipment that doesn’t take much counter space and is also good for single servings.

Any suggestions?

Apr 15, 2018 05:56PM HapB wrote:

Moonlight, some say mushrooms are good for inhibiting estrogen. The best thing to do is to eliminate body fat especially on the belly.

Livestrong lists some foods like carrots, sweet potatoes, mango, cruciferous vegetables, oats as good for diminishing estrogen.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/523918-seven-foods-that-decrease-the-estrogen-levels-in-women/

Apr 16, 2018 02:24PM Amelia01 wrote:

Yes, mushrooms! All kinds even just button mushrooms are good. Mushroom extracts are supposedly good too --- The Mushroom Wisdom people have been lauded for great quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Mushroom-Wisdom-Maitake-PET...=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523908998&sr=8-5&keywords=Mushroom+Wisdom%2C+Inc
https://www.lawankanker.org/wp-content/uploads/201...

HapB - I just bought a WMF single use blender. It is pretty simple and blended up frozen fruit cubes easily enough. I haven't tried it with ice. There a many single use blenders on Amazon. I figure one is probably as good as another -- and they are all with plastic containers :(

https://www.amazon.com/Kult-Mix-Nutrient-Extractio...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523909571&sr=8-1&keywords=wmf+blender

For healthy hair my holistic oncologist has me taking L-cycsteine but it is an anti-oxident, so maybe only take after chemo.

I am having extreme sugar cravings (which means my stomach flora is out of whack -- no surprise as I am still doing chemo) and of the sugary bombs that I am ingesting (chocolate and M&Ms) nothing is satiating me .... and here I was trying to be good but needing to cheat. I was gifted two boxes of Lemonheads for the weird chemo taste ... that stuff I won't touch -- but apparently I have no issues of eating blue dye M&Ms. Sigh...

Dx 10/17/2017, ILC/IDC, Left, 6cm+, 17/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/7/2017 Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Taxol (paclitaxel)

Apr 16, 2018 02:40PM HapB wrote:

Amelia, thanks for the links. I think I have decided to buy a Vitamix e310 model. It is smaller, less expensive than the other Vitamix models,and has all the features I am looking for. I like the idea of being able to make soups directly in the blender, but I sure don’t like the plastic. They all have plastic for safety, I am told.

Getting through chemo is tough and who knows why those cravings come along. Just get through the chemo the best you can!

Apr 16, 2018 07:45PM DKMDKM wrote:

I'm finding contradictions too. Citrus, cruciferous vegetables, and mushrooms seem to be recommended by most everything I've read. Also flax.

Apr 16, 2018 09:05PM HapB wrote:

I found a way to incorporate green tea into my diet today. I don’t like the taste of it, so I brewed some this morning and let it chill and then used it in my smoothie instead of almond milk. I used kale, blueberries, apple, flax seeds, banana, and green tea. Very tasty! Thought I would share......

Apr 16, 2018 09:30PM sunnyjay wrote:

So glad I found this thread! I am 6 months PFC and 4 months from radiation. I am clinically obese so I really need to lose the weight since I know that obesity is one of the recurrence factors. I also have hypertension and low potassium, so I've been loosely following the DASH diet. I have been struggling with being consistent with the lifestyle changes, and I don't really have an excuse. I haven't gotten through all these posts yet, but I am learning a lot from just reading the first couple of pages... so I really appreciate all the information! I have met with an oncology nutritionist, and my goal was to lose 15 lbs through diet and exercise. In 2 months, I have lost 5 lbs, so I have some work to do! LOL Anyway, I look forward to learning more from all of you!

Dx 3/23/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/17/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 5/19/2017 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 7/20/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Apr 16, 2018 09:44PM HapB wrote:

Welcome, Sunnyjay! Good for you for losing 5 pounds! It has been one long and cold winter for me and I have not been active like I used to be. Walking in the fresh air is great, but the weather here has not been very inviting!

I am learning a lot too and still reading all the wonderful posts! One day at a time on our path to wellness! It is tough to exercise when we don't feel well from all the treatments. For me, one treatment has led to more treatments to treat all the side effects of the drugs. Our poor bodies have been through a lot!

I am excited that I just ordered a Vitamix and I have been reading all the healthy recipes of foods I can make in it. Can’t wait until it comes!

We can do this!

Apr 16, 2018 09:53PM HapB wrote:

moth, thank you so much for the site regarding foods to fight breast cancer. It is the first site I have seen that lists specific foods that have shown to have an effect specific to Her2 neu positive BC. I have been eating some of the foods that actually promote growth.....ugh.

https://foodforbreastcancer.com/articles/breast-cancer-diet-for-her2%2b-patients-and-survivors

Apr 17, 2018 07:16AM HapB wrote:

I have been looking for some sort of health related vacation where i could relax, have healthy meals served to me and learn about healthy diet and lifestyle for when I am finished with treatments and I saw this cruise on the Forks Over Knives website. It looks like something I could go on as a single person and would give me a great incentive to get through this! If anyone knows of any others in the USA, please let me know.

holisticholidayatsea.com/forks...

Apr 17, 2018 08:22PM sunnyjay wrote:

HapB, thanks for the warm welcome!  

Moonlight, I've been reading up a lot on estrogen fighting foods.  I have this article bookmarked, which has a list of foods as well as links to various studies. Since research is ongoing, I don't know how current the research is, but I would think the foods list would remain constant:

https://foodforbreastcancer.com/articles/breast-cancer-diet-for-hormone-receptor-positive-%28er%2b-slash-pr%2b%29-patients-and-survivors

Dx 3/23/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/17/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 5/19/2017 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 7/20/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Apr 17, 2018 08:27PM HapB wrote:

sunnyjay, I like the site you posted. I think someone else had posted it also. I like it because it adresses The BC types.

I found this site today for recipes of whole foods, sugar free, etc. I am also trying to restrict sodium because the treatments are sending my BP off the charts, and there are some good low sodium dishes.

www.straightupfood.com/blog/

Apr 17, 2018 08:48PM DKMDKM wrote:

Thanks for this list! I was very surprised, however, to see that they recommend against taking the supplement DIM. It is supposed to be like cruciferous vegies in a pill, and I have read elsewhere that it is recommended. I'll try to research this more.

Apr 17, 2018 09:00PM HapB wrote:

DKMDKM, probably much better to get the nutrients from real food anyway, if you can. I don't trust supplements because they are not regulated and who knows what it actually in those pills. Just my opinion.

Apr 18, 2018 12:24AM Momine wrote:

HapB, I am another one who is iffy on supplements, for similar reasons.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 18, 2018 09:26AM Roaming_Star wrote:

Hi Ladies,

I thought I would join this forum:-) I went to see a naturalpathic doctor - Dr. Neil McKinney - and he recommends the mediterranean diet for his cancer patients. He also put me on low does naltexone (LDN). For me I believe a big part of my cancer was chronic inflammation from adverse childhood experieces (ACE's) (you can google this to read about the science and the links to cancer and other diseases). My ACE score is 9 so pretty high. My body has always been on high alert i figure and i have struggled with depression (also linked to inflammation) and not sleeping well. Now that I have more understanding about what is going on in my body and the link btw chronic inflammation and a depleted immune system I am working on repairing this damage. I will list my changes:

• 4.5 mg LDN
  • 20 mg melatonin
  • 700 mg L- trytophan
  • Omega 3
  • Vitamin D
  • Vitamin K2
  • 3000 mg Bromelain
  • Indole-3-cabinol
  • Grape Seed extract
  • 3000 mg Vitamin C
  • Pro-biotics
  • Low-glycemic foods
  • Only grass feed cow products or goat products (usually grass feed)
  • Nordic Pole walking
  • Strength training
  • 12 - 13 hr. Daily fasting
  • Therapy
I ate pretty healthy before i got cancer, but i was over weight and ate a lot more sugar. I have since lost 27 lbs and have another 25 to go till I will be at the weight that is healthy for me. I do believe that getting our nutrients from our food is best, however in order to be at a therapeutic level I would have to eat way too much broccoli sprouts etc! I just can't do it! I'd rather swallow a pill.

Cheers,

Roaming

Diagnosed at age 46. Taking low dose naltrexone as 30% of cancer patients have low endorphins impacting the body's immune system to kill cancer stem cells. Dx 5/24/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/9/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 11/24/2017 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy Dx 12/6/2017, LCIS/IDC/IDC: Tubular, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 2/5/2018 Whole-breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 3/14/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 19, 2018 07:09AM HapB wrote:

Welcome Roaming Star, you list of changes is inspirational ! I don't know what LDN is or ACE? Do any of the tests they do at the cancer hospital show inflammation? I am quite certain my system must be inflammed after all these treatments and drugs.

Did you health insurance cover the Naturopath and testing?

Apr 23, 2018 12:21AM Roaming_Star wrote:

Hi HabB,

Thank you for the welcome:-) yes there are tests that can be done for inflammation but it doesn't seem like they do them unless there is a heart problem or an auto immune disorder. The link from inflammation to cancer is still being teased out by researchers as there are several mechanisms in the body that can cause inflammation. I am just taking what I have researched and applying it to myself based on what know and how I feel. I then research what i can do to lower my risks or interrupt the inflammation cycle. It seems that inflammation causes micro invironments where cancer likes to grow. I know that if you live in the USA there are private labs that will do the testing for you without doctors orders. LND= low does naltrexone. ACE = Adverse Childhood Experiences. Hope that helps:-)

Diagnosed at age 46. Taking low dose naltrexone as 30% of cancer patients have low endorphins impacting the body's immune system to kill cancer stem cells. Dx 5/24/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/9/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 11/24/2017 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy Dx 12/6/2017, LCIS/IDC/IDC: Tubular, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 2/5/2018 Whole-breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 3/14/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 23, 2018 12:14PM HapB wrote:

Happy Monday!

Spring has sprung here in New England today! Yay,

Roamingstar, thanks for that information. I am quite certain my body must be inflammed with all of these drugs for Triple Positive and I am still in treatment.

I am trying to establish some kind of routine to my day as far as eating. The juicing and smoothies are labor intensive these days. Just the clean up is a mess.

Does anyone do juicing? I wonder how long juice will keep in the fridge. I have been juicing twice a day so it is fresh, but what a mess. I also do a green smoothie mid afternoon. Dinner is cooked veggies. I sometimes do Wild caught salmon these days.

The transition to fully plant based eating has been tough on my digestive system , but I think I am getting used to it.

I bought a Vtiamix and love it. I have been making soups with organic vegetables for dinners. Yum!

Does anyone have a routine to make all this juicing and smoothie making easier? I need to get into a groove

Apr 24, 2018 06:30AM - edited Apr 24, 2018 06:31AM by Wildplaces

DKMDKM,

Cruciferous vegetables - spec broccoli and broccoli sprouts have a whole host of benefits but the two that seem to have Claughton a bit of attention are DIM and sulforaphane. Most of the work seems to show a de tease in BC cancer stem lines. The confusion with DIM might be over a few papers that discuss protective effects from DIM in colon and endometrial cancer via estrogenic receptor mechanisms.

http://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/16/12/26195/pdf

https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/480636

These are heavy going but interesting for anyone looking at epigenetics and nutrition.

I don't take cruciferous veg supp, but I do try and buy a fresh kilo of brocolli, a cauliflower and half a cabbage each week, and incorporate them in my salads - some uncooked some blanched 5 minutes. For me toothe important thing is to try and find a habit I can keep up.

HapB,

I have a nutriblend and I use it a few times a week - it was of great help through chemo. I am mindful of juicing as I believe it is important to consider whether you actually digest AND absorb what you ingest - and digestion starts with chewing slowly. It is one of the reasons why I try and get my Vit C from lemons although I also take a Vit C supp ( with fruit the sugar absorption is dependent on the fiber content of the fruit - the fiber in the fruit protects you from "the sugar hit" as it decreases fructose and sucrose absorption. If you take that away you will get a higher sugar load)

My biggest problem are grains - incorporating LOTS of them in my day. I love bread - and would love to hear from anyone who bakes and what flours do you use.

I have spotted the minimalistbaker posted by Moth - Thank you!!!!

😊🌷

Dx 8/5/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/11/2016 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 9/11/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 24, 2018 06:54AM lizzyl wrote:

Hi. "How not to Die" is an amazing researched book that literally deals with all cancers. I am an ExercisePhysiologist, fitness guru, runner guru and have eaten clean organic since diagnosed 14 years ago. Now back with secondary estrogen positive breast cancer- same radiated breast, almost same location. Exercise is great, stress is not. I'm choosing to have double mastectomy and scared as hell. I started eating all vegetarian and plan to check in with "Hope4Cancer" Check it out as it is an amazing miracle that looks at your individual diagnosis. and plans your specific diet, etc. We are not cookie cutter cancer women. Hope this helps.

23 hours ago HapB wrote:

lizzyl, so sorry to hear that you have a recurrence. Sending positive thoughts and prayers. When is your surgery?

Did you have “standard of care” treatments for the last tumor? Don't be discouraged. BC is the third time that I have battled cancer. I figure we fought it once and we can fight again. You are obviously very strong

I am starting to believe that tumors are just one symptom of underlying systemic disease that they have not identified yet.

I will check out the Hope4cancer. Thank you.

22 hours ago Amelia01 wrote:

HapB - your 3rd time!?? I’m so sorry —- but you obviously don’t let it get the best of you! That’s great that you always kick it to the curb.

They (those infamously “they”) say cancer is a metabolic disease - which makes a lot of sense. Walter Longo and David Agus both believe that homeostasis is the best way to fight back. Keeping the body regular in all aspects - food sleep, glucose levels, etc.

I try to think back to when my body may have been in overdrive and it was probably when I was breastfeeding and stressed. I was malnourished and that is probably when the rogue cells were able to embed and slowly grow. So why me and not every other breastfeeding woman? The same goes for the over consumption of wine. If it were a cause then every middle aged stressed wine drinking woman would get BC.

My feeling helpless and out of control of the situation is exactly due to the fact that I don’t know what I did to seed it.

Dx 10/17/2017, ILC/IDC, Left, 6cm+, 17/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/7/2017 Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Taxol (paclitaxel)

22 hours ago HapB wrote:

Amelia, yes and all supposedly unrelated. I don’t buy that. It really doesn’t matter to me how the cancer started anymore. The stress of divorce, being a single Mom, crazy career, little sleep, using HRT, the list goes on and on! I do know that something in my body is not fighting off cancer cells.

I don’t know who Longo and Agus are and I don’t know their theory. I will have to look that up.

It gets overwhelming trying to figure out how to help my body fight bqck and get healthy.

Page 4 of 5 (124 results)