Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Diet and Lifestyle

Momine
Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Just that.

Comments

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited June 2018

I also find it weird.

• Momine
    edited June 2018

Especially since everyone was being polite and constructive.

• wildplaces
    wildplaces Member Posts: 544
    edited June 2018

ok, I thought it was just a glitch ... of my iPad.

So glad you posted Momine. I liked the thread very much!!

Mods - can we please have it back??

• wildplaces
    edited June 2018

not too mention it was packed full of interesting links - and I would still like to look up.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited June 2018

Looks like HapB deleted her account

• CCNC
    CCNC Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2018

I am also missing the thread. I thought it was a great to see so many people contributing and there were things that I wanted to go back and read also. Unless you follow the triple positive thread you would not realize that the reason she started the thread is that people complained about her posting links and articles about nutrition, research, treatments etc. on multiple occasions and people essentially told her she should start a separate thread. She did and it was great. She was recently verbally attacked again in that thread and I guess that was the last straw and she has somehow had all her postings and the thread removed. Just my guess since I don't know how you go about doing that, but everything seems to be gone. I think it is a loss as it was an interesting and uplifting thread. She was an active poster in the triple positive thread and it seemed to really bother some people. Someone complained about how she wrote things, but if you consider that she is a lawyer and I believe in her early 60's, 30-40 years of writing legal documents is so second nature to her it is probably just her style, but apparently was offensive to some. I think that tolerance should have been applied in this situation. Everyone knows that the "tone" of writing is open to interpretation. Also apparently the number of posts bothered others. From my view point she is single going through this treatment and this was probably an outlet for her. I know being single and going through this is hard when you don't have someone at home to talk to. Compassion was lacking in my opinion and I am sad to see someone run out of a digital village with all the verbal attacks that took place. I see her leaving as a loss, others may not agree, but everyone is different. This should be a place where there is room for everyone going through this horrible treatment process. It would be nice if the thread could be brought back as I think it had a lot of value.

• ibis
    ibis Member Posts: 56
    edited June 2018

Sorry to see this thread gone. I follow a fairly healthy diet, but I did get additional ideas and motivation from reading the postings and links. My best wishes to HapB and others who posted on this thread. It's too bad everyone postings were deleted

• wildplaces
    edited June 2018

Melissa CCNC and ALL,

I thought one could delete personal posts but surely not an entire thread. I didn't think you could vanish others contribution. Mods can you please answer - I might drop you a note. I liked the thread.

I learned a lot in that thread - and had a bit of fun - what more can a gal aks for!

I was even going to post that having had as my first reaction - no ...I could not possibly weigh my food - dear Moth - I take it back - well I am not weighing (yet 😉) but keeping a diary with my fitness pal - and it's fun and gives me an insight on where I could improve. Much of the thread was about trying new things and seeing if they are a good fit for your life, body and schedule. I love the PRACTICAL collective wisdom - I can and have read the books but I want to know and I value what the women with BC have kept out of the lit.

Not to mention I liked her posts - I got where they were coming from.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited June 2018

Wildplaces, ifyou delete your entire account, all your posts and THREADS you started go away. This has been a big topic of discussion before.

• Amelia01
    Amelia01 Member Posts: 178
    edited June 2018

How sad ..... I also enjoyed the thread and found it to be very informative. What a shame....

• Egads007
    Egads007 Member Posts: 474
    edited June 2018
    HapB - if by chance you are reading this, I understand and respect your decision. No one should have to stay in a place where they are intentionally attacked, hurt and saddened. Especially when your posting intentions were only to educate and share. What I’ve seen in the past, and what I saw very recently must have cut like a knife. Please take a breather and then reconsider your exit. Don’t let the few ruin the great contribution you selflessly give at BCO. The reaction from the ladies here only confirms this. While I don’t post here, I do lurk & learn on a regular basis.

If it’s something you just can’t do anymore, know you’ll be missed, and we are all grateful for your words. Wishing you peace.
  • wildplaces
    edited June 2018

Thank you - Melissa - I am sad.

I knew HapB struggled with her treatment side effects and I have just caught up with the triple positive thread - ahhh I am mean do we support only those of us who we agree with and doing well? (HapB - if you are still reading and want to see what happens when I get a little annoyed swing by, I am just getting started on the triple chorus. No one stands between me a good banana recipe😉🐣 - I say that almost injest)

Might as well close shop and go home and open a bottle of a Ruinart - Blancs de Blancs - one grape only - and pretty good but it's NOT the best - you need the difference as in music...

So should restart the thread?

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,021
    edited June 2018

I recently found this thread and was so happy to finally find some like-minded people on BC.org. I sent a message to the Mods to see if they could re-instate it, so that we can refer back to some of the links, and continue on. If not, I hope everyone will continue posting their articles/comments/recipes/debates, etc. We need this thread!

• wildplaces
    edited June 2018

I emailed the Mods too - I liked the thread - and loved the positive communication.

HapB - only fear could have driven those responses on the Triple thread IMO.

And it made me smile because there is one of the gutsiest ladies I have met for a while, on the Stage 4 threads - SadiesServant who once said to me " I pray that whatever comes I will be logical in my decisions" Sounds simple - and yet she with her British background Canadian groundingshe nailed in one phrase.

So when you ready - know it is good for you to hang around with my salads and chooks, and it good for me to be pushed by you to keep reading ( and that is logical😊🐣🌷🍷) well you can skip the wine.

We all hug you dearly,

😊🌷🐣

• dearlife
    dearlife Member Posts: 634
    edited June 2018

I have been clicking and searching in vain for the past two days. First I thought it was my iPad. I sent a message to technical mods yesterday but have not heard back. Then I thought maybe it was my last post on sugar that crashed the thread! Too long? Too boring? Controversial to say baking reduces glucose?

So very sorry to lose my favourite place on BCO...

HapB, you were such an active and encouraging lifestyle leader. You brought us interesting nuggets every day. Plant-based food for thought. I learned so much, changed my diet, feel great and lost 8 lbs. Thank you, and please come back!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,813
    edited June 2018

Hi All

The member who started the thread 'Changing diet and lifestyle to prevent reoccurrence' asked to have her account removed and unfortunately, when a member asks to be deleted, all of their posts including threads they have started also are removed. Sadly, once this has been done, it can not be reversed.

Our apologies for any information that is no longer accessible. We hope you'll be able to regenerate the information you've all shared and that this new thread will be just as, if not more, helpful than the previous one.

If you’d like us to change the title of this thread to reflect the old thread, please let us know

—The Mods

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited June 2018

Oh no, I'm sad to see the thread gone but more than that, I'm sad that HapB felt she had to leave. That's sad. :(

Mods - fwiw, I actually really appreciate that if people want, they can have their BCO digital footprints wiped. It's refreshing in this age of everything being permanently recorded, to actually be able to delete things. I hope that feature stays.

DearLife - I thought that glucose & baking thing was fascinating.

Wildplaces- lol about the weighing. I don't know if I said why I had to do it: I SUCK at estimating weights & volumes (I blame my mother for not letting me play with water and sand tables at some critical developmental period lol). I logged without weighing food for a while and wasn't seeing the changes expected in my weight, and then started using a food scale and realized what I thought was a serving & was logging as such, was actually 2... or 3 :P My ability to visually estimate my portions has improved a lot so I don't think it's a thing one needs to do forever & maybe if you're actually good at estimating weights & volumes, you don't need to do it at all. But I was astonished at how "off" my estimates were & until I trained my eyes (& got new, smaller bowls) I really benefited from it.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2018

I did not realize that the member who started a thread "owns" that thread, and all its postings.  I find that concept pretty uncomfortable.  Does that mean the "owner" can police the contributors?  I believe that issue has arisen in past threads and was strongly criticized by members.  Perhaps we can ask the mods to institute an new policy, enabling a removal of the original post, substituting a mod-written summary of the thread's purpose?

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 58
    edited June 2018

So sorry HapB felt she needed to remove herself. I enjoyed her contribution to this thread, my favorite on the BCO site. It is full of so many intelligent, diverse, caring posters....I have recommended it to a number of people.

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    edited June 2018

I too am very sorry to see HapB , and her thread have gone . I only posted on it a couple of times , but it had become my favourite thread too ..Come back HapB ..we need you !!

• wildplaces
    edited June 2018

Well, since we can not sit all day in the middle of the road ...(and patience is something I struggle with) I guess we keep going.

I am not going to repost HapB banana bread recipe yet. But I will post that these are my fav ways to include fruit and vegetables in my day. Like everything preparation seems to be key.

1. Breakfast - mushrooms, spinach, with or without an egg, with or without wholemeal toast; avocado on toast with a tomato salsa or a bit of Greek cheese, hummus oatmeal bread or biscuits, tomatoes, basil, buffalo mozzarella. berries, mango, mandarins

2. Salads - lunches - I am colour coding them at present - green ( obvious ) but also a green and broccolini with roasted cherries tomatoes or a bit of roasted pumpkin, red - beetroot and red cabbage with quinoa, radishes spinach and a citrus dressing, shades of beige - chickpeas or beans with just about anything, and so on... ( I have taken to making two or three at the same time and got some small jars for dressing like small face cream pots - they keep fine for 48 hours in glass containers)

3. keeping snap frozen berries and veg in freezer ( thank Momine the chickpeas freeze beautifully )

4. Serving cut up veg - carrots celery with dips

5. Keeping an apple, banana and a small pack of nuts in my car ( and bag )

6. Choosing ( and I am not a huge sweets person ) a fruit type desert - taste on special occasions.

DearLife if you have the time and energy would be please post on you baking sugar - love to know what it is.

The interesting thing is across the river is a sugar plantation - it is burned to the ground once a year to release its sugar - this green is the colour when it just starts to spring up.

Hope everybody can find us. Keep posting your salads ladies. 😉

Moth 😊 - I can judge weights ( long story) - I was widely naive as to what has sugar in it ( besides the obvious of course) So it's good for me to learn a bit about nutrition in that sense. You did a good thing - thank you !!! In this state where our defences are a little up - something may not resonate immediately but if it's good for you it's going to stick and you will come back to it.

So please keep posting ladies!!!😊🌷🐣

• dearlife
    dearlife Member Posts: 634
    edited June 2018

Hi WildPlaces

You are right, the middle of the road is not a good place to sit. Since our thread sadly cannot be resurrected, we will now have a memory test 🙄.Thanks for the nudge and your great post complete with interesting photo.

Here is an excerpt from the news item about how baking can reduce available glucose:

New Canadian research points to possible good news if you love dessert and are counting calories or are concerned about blood-sugar levels.

The research, from the University of British Columbia (UBC), suggests calories from sugar can be lost during the baking process, so what's shown on a food label may not reflect calories consumed.....

....By comparing the sugar content before and after the baking process, the researchers found on average up to 20 per cent sugar loss in cakes made with invert sugar, according to the study's lead author, Ningjian Liang, a food science PhD student at the time of the research.

"In cakes that were made from sucrose, which is table sugar, we observed around five to eight per cent of sugar loss," she said.

In cake with invert sugar, researchers found the digestible or available calorie content decreased by 36 per cent, while in cake with sucrose, it declined by about 12 per cent.

Full article and research link here: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4690996

So I looked up “invert sugar". Easy to make: http://www.chefeddy.com/2009/11/invert-sugar/

My original post had some other comments about baking. I love to make cookies, taste one while warm (just to be sure it is not poisonous 😌), and freeze the rest for guests. In my rural community, I often have friends over for tea, since there is no Starbucks here! So I need cookies in the freezer. DH likes them too.

I think I will try using invert sugar, especially if it reduces available calories and glucose by 36%. Then maybe I can have an extra cookie 🍪.

• wildplaces
    edited June 2018

DearLife - this may sound strange - but how do you make your biscuits?

I have tried and never had much success - those who bake tell me it's easy, well I must be doing something wrong? Any clues, recipe advice would be greatly treasured. It's ok if you do it by feel and can not explain it.😊🌷

I thought you were going to say the interesting thing was the rainbow...but the sugar can is quite a feast when it burns

• Warrior2018
    Warrior2018 Member Posts: 212
    edited June 2018

Hello everyone! I’ve been missing that thread sooooo much. It was my favorite. I miss HapB too. I’m newer on these threads and I thought she was kind and so informative.

We had so many links and info in that thread. If anyone is looking for something specific, let me know. I did add many of the links to my home page and/or to my favorites But it still doesn’t replace the discussion. Hopefully we can keep the momentum alive. I think it’s a life changing topic.

Nice to see you gals here ❤️

• chelseasculler
    chelseasculler Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2018

I hope you do all figure out how to pull the information together—I didn't see it originally and it sounds like it was really interesting!

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited June 2018

Ok, I'll re-post some of my contributions:

Biggest bang for your buck as far as preventing recurrence & preventing death - EXERCISE. Do it lots, do it heavy and sweaty.

"Physical activity can reduce breast cancer mortality by about 40% (23) and has the most powerful effect of any lifestyle factor on breast cancer outcomes. (22) • At least 150 minutes per week of physical activity is recommended"

Lifestyle modifications for patients with breast cancer to improve prognosis and optimize overall health

http://www.cmaj.ca/content/cmaj/189/7/E268.full.pd...

& a study showed that runners did better than walkers - takeaway is that we need to exercise vigorously for highest benefit

Significantly greater reduction in breast cancer mortality from post-diagnosis running than walking

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/i...

I think we sometimes get bogged down in details about fat carb protein ratios or some esoteric supplement but I think until you're doing 150+ minutes of cardio workout / week, it makes no sense to obsess about those things. It's like the old analogy about prioritizing the big rocks (IIRC it's Covey's originally - about prioritizing and goal setting for productivity)

Get the big rocks in first, and fit in the small rocks around them. Don't fritter the space away with the little ones because then there's no room left over for the big important things that we know matter most.

Image result for big rocks analogy for prioritizing

• Momine
    edited June 2018

Moth, I am with you. Besides, as someone who has passed 50, exercise also keeps me from getting creaky and decrepit. I still have a waist, my weight is staple, and I can move freely and do all the things I need/want to do. This makes it a total in/win for me.

• Warrior2018
    Warrior2018 Member Posts: 212
    edited June 2018

Thank you Moth! I agree totally with you guys about exercise. Great analogy. I need to remind myself of that.

Since some of us, including me ;), may still be recovering from surgeries or working our way to more exercising, here is a link that was posted by someone in the other thread:

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/patient-education/exercises-after-breast-surgery

I thought it might be a good one to share again.

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    edited June 2018

I've always loved to go for a walk ..I walk daily ..either with Hubby , or a friend ...I really should be trying to jog ..but I hate it !!! Maybe I could rotate , and walk for a minute 🏃, then jog for a minute and see if I can get "into " it ..????

I play table tennis 3 times a week ..🏓.it does get the heart rate up , and I'm exhausted by the time I go home.. there is surprisingly quite a lot of running around in a game ..but I wonder if it's a good as actually going out for a jog ???

Moth ..love your illustrated explanation of getting the big rocks in first !!

Cooking a huge chicken veggie soup today in the slow cooker (it's finally cooled down enough in Brisbane !! ) ..just chicken breasts , stock , stacks of different veggies ...cook on low about 6 hours , remove chicken and shred it ...mash vegetables in stock ( with potato masher ) ..return shredded chicken to slow cooker , add pasta and cook on high further 15 minutes...nice and easy , and I sure hope it's good and healthy.

Trouble is I, have a terrible sweet tooth ..and will eat a chocolate coated icream for desert after it 😱...and I desperately need to STOP doing that !!!!!!

Hugs to all

Edited for spelling mistakes ..haha.. there's probably still some I missed !!!

• wildplaces
    edited June 2018

Should we ask the Mods to put up the old thread title to reflect the old thread so it is easier to find and reference for others in the future??

Momine - what do you think? I would be happy either way - just Really glad to see everyone posting and encouraging each other to stay as fit and healthy as possible.