We are 211,400 members in 82 forums discussing 151,463 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: New BCO Page: Medical Marijuana

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Jul 11, 2018 11:37AM - edited Jul 11, 2018 01:33PM by Moderators

Moderators wrote:

Check out the new page in the main Breastcancer.org site's Complementary and Holistic Medicine section on Medical Marijuana to learn:

• What medical marijuana is
  • What medical marijuana is used for
  • What to expect when using medical marijuana
  • Important things to consider before using medical marijuana

We appreciate your feedback here on this thread, or by using the "Was this article helpful Yes/No" link at the bottom of every article.

We hope this helps!

--The Mods

Edited by Mods to fix link.

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Jul 11, 2018 01:27PM LoriCA wrote:

This is what I get when I click the link:

Oh Dear!

The web page that you requested cannot be found on this server.

You can probably find what you want at the Breastcancer.org homepage.

Please contact us if you have any questions, or to report a problem.

If you typed in the address by hand or clicked a link from your email program, please make sure that the address contains no extra spaces or missing characters.

IBC Stage IV de novo - presented in right breast, within days spread into left breast, skin, chest wall, metastasized into brachial plexus (lost complete use of right arm for several months), liver and throughout skeleton. Dx 9/8/2017, IBC, Both breasts, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 9/25/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/5/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/5/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Jul 11, 2018 01:34PM Moderators wrote:

So sorry about that, Lori! The link has been fixed now. Thanks for alerting us!

Jul 11, 2018 02:47PM ksusan wrote:

I appreciate the article and would appreciate further BCO input on

• THC use with ER+ BC.
  • Whether 100% CBD (no THC) has demonstrated efficacy.
Mutant uprising quashed. Dx 1/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2015, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jul 11, 2018 03:46PM Meg101 wrote:

Great topic! I've been reading about medical marijuana and it's use for pain during treatment with Aromatase Inhibitors.

Dx 7/14/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 3/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/11/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 9/18/2017 AC + T (Taxotere) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall Targeted Therapy Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 12, 2018 01:46PM LoriCA wrote:

I agree ksusan, would like to hear more on those two topics but I'm afraid that since it is still federally illegal there hasn't been much done in the way of valid studies on the use of MMJ in the US, outside of those in the industry who have a vested interest in the results. Since I live in a state where it is legal for medicinal and recreational use I've been experimenting a bit for pain and insomnia. All of my research says a minimum of 2:1 CBD to THC for pain, and that ER+ women should minimize their use of THC because it's estrogenic but I don't know if that's "real" science, much like the debate over ER+ women and soy. I'm not interested in getting high anyway (been there done that when I was kid, these days it just makes me paranoid) so I've been sticking with products with a high percentage of CBD.

What really worries me is that my 75 year old mother, who lives in a state where CBD is not legal unless one has doctor's okay for an approved condition, has been buying something called "cannabis oil" over the internet. She has no idea the percentage of THC/CBD, and if they are selling it over the internet I'm betting that it's actually hemp oil, which has an extremely low percentage of both THC and CBD (CBD typically less than 25 parts per million in hemp oil, up to 15% in true CBD oil) and any benefit she is perceives is due to a placebo effect.

There are too many companies taking advantage of people who don't know better and there's not nearly enough educational material available outside the industry itself, so buyer beware and don't waste your money on anything that doesn't clearly state the THC and CBD percentages. Thankfully here in California everything is clearly marked as to whether or not it's been tested and every product lists the amount & percentage of CBD, CBN, and THC.

IBC Stage IV de novo - presented in right breast, within days spread into left breast, skin, chest wall, metastasized into brachial plexus (lost complete use of right arm for several months), liver and throughout skeleton. Dx 9/8/2017, IBC, Both breasts, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 9/25/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/5/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/5/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Jul 22, 2018 06:44PM McButterfly wrote:

Hi, LoriCA and all, I live in British Columbia, where cannibus has been "practically" legal for many years. It will become federally legal here this October. I've been using an exclusively CBD oil made from a high quality, organic hemp. I usually buy it at the dispensary but I see it can be ordered online, too. They use no solvents to extract the oil, only CO2, and so all of the good parts of the plant are in tact. In the past month since using this product, I have been able to stop taklng tramacet (except for ½ tab at night). Once I got the dosage right, it really started making a difference. Any good product should have dosage information on the package. I also take a little bit of THC oil to help activate it and have no experience of gettlng high with this combo. At first I wasn't taking enough and it had no effect, so it's important to follow recommended dosage.

Love to you all,

Angela

Jul 23, 2018 11:36AM ksusan wrote:

I don't eat anything. This is the CBD cream I use on my port scar: https://www.sagelynaturals.com/collections/relief-recovery/products/relief-recovery-cream

Mutant uprising quashed. Dx 1/2015, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2015, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Sep 13, 2018 09:07AM Tigerlily318 wrote:

Hi all, I have a question regarding hemp. It's not THC or CBD, but it comes from the same plant. Any concern with hemp protein and estrogen based cancers? I know that estrogen based cancers should not take or have to be careful with THC. I can't find anything out there, but trying to confirm. TIA.

Dx 7/20/2018, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 8/28/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 11/28/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 13, 2018 03:31PM Moderators wrote:

Hi Tigerlily,

Here are the few articles we can offer you to read, though we do not have any specifics on this, and it would be a good question for your doctor.

Dr. Weiss, our Founder wrote a column some time ago that talked about hemp milk: https://community.breastcancer.org/livegreen/plant..

If it's the isoflavones in hemp protein that concerns you, we do have some content on soy, which has the same kind of protein that mimics estrogen. Dr. Weiss says the research is also unclear in this piece: The Soy Question.

Warmly, The Mods

Sep 17, 2018 10:20PM Tigerlily318 wrote:

Hi, thank you! I cannot find anything that says there are isoflavones inhemp. Did I misread the post and information? Thank you!

Dx 7/20/2018, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 8/28/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 11/28/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)