We are 217,545 members in 81 forums discussing 154,231 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Has anyone been cured via the holistic route?

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Dec 18, 2018 06:52PM - edited Dec 18, 2018 09:06PM by thejanedoe

thejanedoe wrote:

I see articles of people saying they beat cancer through wild methods which had doctors dropping their jaws but I'm not entirely sure everything I read out there is credible so I take it with a grain of salt. I'd like to ask this community because browsing through many posts, it feels a bit more home-y and I share the experience after having gone through breast cancer 2 years. However, I'd love to know and hear any stories of people diagnosed with cancer, decided to avoid surgery/chemo and go down a holistic route that cured/removed their tumor. This is not to provide false hope to people like myself but if its happened, I'd like to know what they did and that it may be possible.

Edit: I realize this may not gain feedback from many but what about those who had recurrence of cancer and decided to go full holistic? How are you now and have you found a method that works for you?

Page 3 of 3 (81 results)

Posts 61 - 81 (81 total)

Dec 31, 2018 01:02PM pipers_dream wrote:

meow, no I haven’t...it failed to show up the first time on mammo, U/S, or even a thermogram. I did have the biopsy so I know I have it and the tumor is close enough to the surface to feel. And I can’t explain it but it’s like I just don’t care. I don’t mean that I’m depressed or suicidal... it’s not that at all...it’s just that I am busy sucking the marrow out of life and having fun with whatever time I have left and I’m actually on an extended road trip right now and living out of my van. I’d like to live out my lifespan but that may not be possible. I prefer to believe that it is and I know for a fact that belief in your body’s ability to heal is hugely important.

MDRR, your doc sounds lovely and more docs should think this way. Science is great but it’s not a god, no matter what the industry thinks. I’m not one to rail against “big pharma” but I do know that medical schools are funded by industry dollars so that’s what is going to be taught.

Breast cancer should not be something to fear but rather a call to go deeper in this journey called life. Dx 11/14/2013, ILC, 5cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 8, 2019 06:10PM kec1972 wrote:

Hi there, I haven’t been, though I just picked up the book “Radical Remission” by Dr Kelly Turner and am fascinated by it...check it out

Dx 12/17/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

Jan 8, 2019 07:38PM BrinkOfEternity wrote:

Just wanted to share 2 “remission” stories I know of. A friend’s grandmother was diagnosed with BC years ago and after treatments failed her, she mysteriously got better for some months. No alternative medicine was pursued but she just got better on her own. Unfortunately it did come back and she eventually passed.

My mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and after chemo failed her and the cancer spread, she also had a mysterious reprieve for several months. I encouraged her to get a PET scan during that time and it revealed her numerous small tumors had disappeared - but one very active larger one appeared in the middle. It grew and later she passed as well.

Having read about how cancer cells can become dormant I do think there’s a lot we don’t know about cancer. Sometimes people feel better because of something they try but it may or may not have to do with anything they did. My mom swore by this herbal soup she drank and was convinced that’s what made her feel better, but at the end it didn’t help. My theory is that new tumor ate up all the resources from the smaller ones and made her better for some time.

Sorry I don’t have a full cure story..

Weakly ER+ so practically TNBC, getting neoadjuvant chemo (Abraxane) with immunotherapy (Keytruda), then surgery, then more chemo (AC) Dx 7/26/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 9/3/2018 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 2/3/2019 AC Surgery 4/26/2019 Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Jan 9, 2019 08:52PM Tomichi1 wrote:

Hello! I’m glad to see your post. I was diagnosed with DCIS Stage0/Grade3. Had a lumpectomy (3 month ago) but am not sure how I want to proceed. My husband is holistic. I’m being told Radiation + drugs. I’ve said no to the drugs and was told that that’s ok. Since I was away with work, and it’s been 3 months after my lumpectomy, I’m wondering about just moving forward and getting screened every 6 mos. Would they catch a recurrence early? I’m meeting the Radiologist tomorrow to get info on that. The side effects are scary. I’m also meeting with a surgeon about mastectomy. So overwhelming. I’d love to hear from anyone else who maybe opted out of the medical options.

Jan 10, 2019 06:13AM jo6359 wrote:

tomich- why is a mastectomy recommended?

Dx 1/29/2018, DCIS, Right, Stage 0 Dx 1/29/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/18 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/16/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jan 11, 2019 01:39AM WC3 wrote:

BrinkOfEternity:

I think that's a pretty good theory.

Dx 2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 5/31/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/14/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Jan 11, 2019 09:21AM JoE777 wrote:

What some may feel is a cure may simply be a dormant cancer cell that could wake up 10-15-20 years later. That being said, I tried to live my life well, cancer free, until it woke up. I wish good health to allwho are moving beyond cancerHeart

Dx 2/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, metastasized to bone, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/4/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 2/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Kisqali Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Chemotherapy Other Radiation Therapy External: Bone Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jan 11, 2019 03:30PM jo6359 wrote:

JoE- I will gladly take that dormant cancer cell and not have to worry for another 10 15 20 years. I agree with you. There are no guarantees in life. All any of us can do is try to live our life to the fullest.

Dx 1/29/2018, DCIS, Right, Stage 0 Dx 1/29/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/18 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/16/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jan 11, 2019 05:07PM JoE777 wrote:

Totally feel the same way. Mine lasted 6 good years

Dx 2/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, metastasized to bone, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/4/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 2/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Kisqali Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Chemotherapy Other Radiation Therapy External: Bone Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jan 11, 2019 07:08PM - edited Jan 11, 2019 07:10PM by Meow13

I guess I don't worry much about dormant cells waking up after 10 years. The risk of recurrence may be elevated a little more than someone without a history of personal cancer.

But recurrence is something that can really rock you to the core, the biopsy I had 2 years ago scared me to death. It was ok, no cancer and now I relax a bit more.

Jan 31, 2019 12:50PM Enerva wrote:

hi all

Just wanted to thank you for this tread.

I have decided not to take the drugs recommended by my oncologist. I did all the conventional treatments back in 2012. Then my c came back at year 5.

I am now taking something that is helping me a lot. Called MMS

I was doing great and decided to stop talking it last year well big mistake now my c in activate again. I started on this solution 3 days ago and already seen the improvement as per my pain is no longer there.

I also agree with many of you.

This must be related to just random bad luck,

I dont think there is anything that can explain why so many of us have to deal with this.

I will look at all the links provided here.

I want to get vitamin C Iv injections, I heard many people benefit from it.

Thanks again

Surgery 3/24/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 12/23/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 8/26/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 12/13/2017, LCIS, 6cm+, Grade 1, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 12/21/2017 Zoladex (goserelin)

Jan 31, 2019 03:58PM Meow13 wrote:

Enerva, if conventional treatment was always the best answer then it would be alot more sucessful than it is. I was told fight this by throwing the kitchen sink at it. Well nothing I saw convinced me that was the way to go. My oncodx was 34 and my arm was twisted off by nurses and doctors to do chemo and I just said no. My oncologist talked with me I explained why I wasn't convinced by the statistics and that was the end of that. I did do AI drugs now 7 years later still no cancer. My situation was 2 small tumors close to the surface and sign of cancer anywhere else 95 % er positive pr negative, her2 negative.

Unfortunately, I have been criticised on BCO by a few members. There is no right way to fight this disease and disagree with statements made "Everyone I know that didn't do conventional treatment is dead". I know many that did everything possible conventional treatment offered that are dead.

I am sure that you are doing what is right for you and I hope your cancer does not come back.

Jan 31, 2019 04:22PM Enerva wrote:

oh Meo13 thanks, my cancer is back but this time I am doing what is best for me.

I know what you mean, the oncologist is very upset but it is my decision.

I will keep researching until I find something that works for me. If nothing does I will have no regrets ThumbsUp

Surgery 3/24/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 12/23/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 8/26/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 12/13/2017, LCIS, 6cm+, Grade 1, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 12/21/2017 Zoladex (goserelin)

Jan 31, 2019 06:04PM - edited Jan 31, 2019 07:44PM by exercise_guru

This is not intermittent fasting :

This is not a holistic route per say but I think it is worth suggesting a research into Valter Longo and his work on fasting. he is doing not an alternative practitioner. He works for university of california and is working on some very good research regarding fasting ( usually for 5 days) repeatedly to help kill cancer cells. They are also doing a research project with BRCA1 and BRCA2 women to see if this type of fasting called "The fasting mimicking diet" can prevent cancer in women who do not choose Dbl Mastectomies. I am currently doing his "longevity eating program" along with the FMD every 6 weeks . Eventually when I get all my markers to normal then I will do the FMD every 3 months. It is not that bad once you have done it a few times and honestly anyone who has gone through this cancer treatment once has a will of nails so they can do it. Also all the money made through the program( if you use the Prolon kit or buy his book) goes towards research for people who are stage 4 or need answers now. I think it would be worth it to find out if you would be eligible for that organization to work with your provider to help use that protocol. I would also add that if you don't have a good support from your provider FIND support where you can to make sure you can do this program safely. In my case I was young with not no counterindications . I told my MO but he wasn't interested. If I had a reoccurence you bet your sweet knees I would get some better support and I would be more active in my treatment than I was the first time.

I also am at high high risk for reoccurance or progression so I eat a whole foods plant based diet ( like on "Forks over "Knives" documentary ) I also consume daily cooked mushrooms, Broccoli sprouts, and Flax seed in addition to a whole foods diet.

you might find some of these links on youtube interesting

The Laurus Project and Breast Cancer autophagy and cell death

Chris Beats Cancer interviews Valter Longo

starving cancer cells. This is from 2015 when I was in treatment so I did do this plan during chemo and now do it in recovery but the kit wasn't available so I did straight water fasting which suckity sucked but I did it. Ow I do the FMD DIY version or the prolon kit

Age 42 05/15/2015 PALB2 mutation, DBL Breast Cancer Type 1A Grade 3 ER+PR+(right 1.3cm,.5cm) HERr+(left1.6 cm), 06/26/2015 BMX with TE 8/27/15 Chemotherapy TCH 12/30/2015 TAH/BSO/Reconstruction 1/29/16 Arimidex 3/1/16 Femara 5/6/16 Tamoxifen

Jan 31, 2019 08:15PM jo6359 wrote:

Meow13- I don't like absolutes . I don't like comments " people who don't choose chemo are all dead " Cancer is difficult enough to deal with without people constantly judging your decisions . I know people who have thrown everything including the kitchen sink at their cancer and died quickly and others who chose surgery but refused chemo who have lived very long and fruitful lives. Each person has to decide what is right for them and others need to respect those decisions. I personally was comfortable in choosing chemo and radiation due to my being Her2 positive . I tolerated both very well. Cancer is tough on many different levels.

Jan 31, 2019 09:39PM Meow13 wrote:

It just goes to show that the treatments that exist aren't good enough we need better medicine. Someone shouldn't have to compromise good health for surviving cancer. If the conventional treatments had a better track record I'd say ok but they don't. We are not here to blindly follow are oncologists directions. The decision is ours. As much as I was adverse to chemo, in my case, others feel strongly that chemo benefits them. Choice of treatment is critical. No one knows us like we do.

We all make a choice and we should not be criticised. Most BCO members really understand but there are a few that do not.

Feb 14, 2019 01:25PM BatyaD wrote:

Glad to find this forum thread.

Lumpectomy and 2 nodes removed (clear margins, clean nodes), IDC, Stage 1, Grade 3, Triple Positive.

I'm waiting now to start radiation and Taxol/Herceptin. I want the Herceptin, but can't get it without the Taxol. Hate Big Pharma running the AMA.

Next week, before all that starts, I'm seeing an Integrative Medicine doctor who did his fellowship with Andrew Weil. I'm also seeing Dr. Wood, a naturopath who has an impressive resume. I've been "perfecting" my kitchen cupboards so much that when I wanted to act-out yesterday, the worst I could do was an extra organic ice-cream sandwich and a few extra organic super-grain tortilla chips!

Very interested in hearing everyone's stories about the natural/integrative route of healing.

Dx 12/5/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy

Feb 19, 2019 11:20AM Enerva wrote:

exercise guru, thanks a lot for sharing the information.

I will look into it, I never heard about it before regarding the fasting protocol.

I also agree with everyone here, we should be able to make our decisions with no judgment

Sending you all hugs

Feb 19, 2019 12:22PM marijen wrote:

MMS = vitd3 and humic and fulvic acid. Here are the product details for fulvic acid. Hmmm maybe it’s the testerone that chases the cancer away!

Boosts and Supports the Immune System!

May Help Boost Natural Testosterone Levels in Men!

Contains Fulvic Acid and Trace Minerals, such as Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium and Selenium!

Provides Free Radical Support with Antioxidants!

Reduces Inflammation and Can Ease Joint Pain!

Mar 1, 2019 05:27PM Enerva wrote:

hi all just wanted to let you know MMS is working for me again. So far no pain in almost 10 days now.

I am honestly thankful, I had a lot of pain and kidney issue. It seems to be clearing it up. My creatine was 200 and in a week down to 185

I will have another blood test next week to check again.

Hoping you all have a good weekend

Mar 1, 2019 10:01PM jo6359 wrote:

enerva-so glad you are getting relief with mms.

Page 3 of 3 (81 results)