Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Food/ Supplements that cause cancer cells to suicide

Options

Hi Ladies!

Just wondering what supplements or food have you added to youe diet since your diagnosis of breast cancer that you believe had a great role in improving the outcomes of your treatment with your MO. I read that vitamin d3, omega3 and vitamin C can cause the death of cancer cells (apoptosis). I have also heard about juicing green vegetables such as kale, celery, broccoli and spinach. I have also heard that garlic is a superstar in fighting cancer cells. What have you tried that you believe has significantly improved your treatment? And how often did you do it?

Thanks for sharing!

Comments

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

I've been taking Omega-3 for years. Guess that's why I only had two kinds of cancer last year instead of more. 🤔

• leftduetostupidmods
    Options

If only it was that simple....

• Darnit_DDD
    Darnit_DDD Member Posts: 21
    Options

My brother in law has non hotchkins lymphoma and has done well on keto (no sugar) for the last ten years. He also takes a chemo pill and does do conventional treatments, but also uses supplements.

I lost a dear friend to breast cancer in 2005 who chose not to do chemo or any standard of care treatments, opting instead for holistic and natural approaches. She tried the raw diet, among other things. By the time she passed it was in her bones and it was not a peaceful passing. She was very authentic, true to herself to the end, and really believed in that course of action. I miss her.

I’m all for supplements, enzymes, cbd, anything that can help the body detox from harmful side effects of chemo etc., but after what my friend went through I would never rely solely on the homeopathic, naturopathic route.

Sugar feeds cancer... cutting that out of ones diet is not easy because it’s in everything but FWIW that is one thing I’ve been doing since I was diagnosed, keeping it down to less than 20g a day.

It’s personal and people have different results, best of luck to all on this journey.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Melatonin has anti metastatic properties. Curcumin in high doses. Metformin (a diabetes med) also acts against cancer.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

I was already on Metformin when I got two kinds of cancer. Maybe it went into a huddle with the Omega 3 to plot against me. 😗

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Alice you crack me up! And there are so many things that factor into why our bodies developed our specific cancer. We just do the best we can to make our bodies healthy and strong.

I do a daily smoothie with greens and protein, and some greek yogurt (I need the extra fat and protein). I also have greatly reduced sugar. I have added Fish oil and Curcumin along with my vitamin D and C. I am eating a diet high in veggies and lean protein and oh yes my daily cabbage. But I also give myself and little leeway on diet once a week. Really trying to keep exposure to soy in all forms down based on my ONC's recommendation. That is tricky because there seems to be soy lecithin in everything these days. Daily exercise too now that my energy has begun to return.

• santabarbarian
    Options

Sadly any individual is a data point of one and not useful to extrapolate from (whether good or bad). But in large groups like the Nurses study, The stats on the benefits of Metformin are clear. When I asked my MO about it he prescribed it for me. My blood glucose was high end of normal and now is's middle of normal. I also started on Melatonin despite being a great sleeper. I know it's not a 1:1 correlation but I'll do whatever won't hurt me and might help me.

• kec1972
    kec1972 Member Posts: 71
    Options

I’ve been eating broccoli sprouts daily since my diagnosis for the sulforaphane benefit. Also eating more cruciferous veggies and mushrooms

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,760
    Options

Eating well and supplementing are good and will help maintain your health but killing cancer cells? Not so simple. Continue to maintain good health, healthy weight and exercise and despite anecdotes, know that, sadly, there has been no cure for bc yet

• santabarbarian
    Options

This is not a pill or a food, but heat (Hyperthermia) does kill (or substantially weaken) cancer cells. I did a huge amount of heat on my tumor after reading that vets do external hot water heat to shrink palpable tumors in animals using re-ciculating hot water, and thinking, hey, why not? My tumor was easily palpable. At a temp of 109 degrees for about 1 hour, the cells will die or at least give off "heat shock protein" which makes them identifiable to the immune system when they might otherwise hide. I did this 3 x/ week during chemo. I am pretty sure I had it that hot because I LOVE a 105 or 06 degree hot tub, so I went a few degrees up to ouch level.... My skin did superficially burn but nothing awful, just a deep pink that ultimately faded.

UMD, Wash U St Louis & Cleveland Clinic are three places using much more sophisticated kinds of hyperthermia.

• Motheroftwo36
    Motheroftwo36 Member Posts: 13
    Options

is it bad that I don’t want to change my diet? Instead I have been eating worse? I eat better than most and I run. I don’t eat sugar much and I was gluten free for 6 months prior to diagnosis. Now I’m pissed and feel like food doesn’t matter

• rah2464
    Options

Motheroftwo36 - no it isn't bad. It is just how you feel. You are responding to an incredibly stressful period in your life. We try things hoping to bring some control back into a situation that happened to us out of the blue. I am 9 months out now from my diagnosis and I can tell you that after some time you do begin to stabilize. You get more rational about how you want to manage your daily life. We know diet and lifestyle matter to some degree. You just have to decide what is best for you.

• exercise_guru
    exercise_guru Member Posts: 333
    Options

There isn't a magic bullet. There is some evidence that certain foods make the body less likely to grow cancer and in some cases slow the growth.

Fasting can kill some cancer they are now using it in studies in conjunction with chemotherapy and immunotherapy . They have studies going now. Read "the longevity diet" by Valter Longo. Not a gimmick book .

If you watch the "Forks over Knives" documentary it talks about food and its effect on cancer growth and death

Also if you search nutritionfacts.org with breast cancer you will read about broccoli sprouts ,mushrooms erc and their effects on breast cancer cells.

• kec1972
    kec1972 Member Posts: 71
    Options

Motheroftwo, I just wanted to say I can relate. I've been vegetarian for years, never drank alcohol, I teach exercise for a living, never took BC pills, no family history in a family with a LOT of women, took better care of myself than most. 'm about two months out from diagnosis and am still finding myself angry with God.

• hkkw17
    hkkw17 Member Posts: 12
    Options

same here , I have been vegetarian for years .. never touched alcohol , my weight is healthy , always took good care of my eating habits .. and I was diagnosed last year.. can’t say what causes it and how we can prevent it ..

• santabarbarian
    Options

No cancer in my family, everyone lives to 90, and I breastfed for 6 years! I was astounded to get BC.

But we live in a polluted world and eat a lot of not-real foods (dyes, etc) over a lifetime. And my Mom took DES, which is correlated with 2 x the post menopausal BC. That's what I think caused my BC.

• rah2464
    Options

And when you truly begin to read your food labels it is frightening. Almost everything has soy or soy lecithin in it, not to mention the tremendous amount of food preservatives and chemical sweeteners. Who knows what impact they have. I am really trying to make most of my food from scratch and only judiciously use anything pre packaged.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,007
    Options

I can understand the anger at living a clean life but still getting a bc diagnosis. I do want to say that our society is big on pressing females to be “good girls" and sometimes that gives us a false sense of security, i.e., “If I do all the right things, nothing bad will happen to me." and/or “God will see my efforts and protect me because I'm being a good girl".

But don't dismay that you've lived a clean life. It isn't in vain. Chances are, when you've done all the right things to keep on top of your health, your road to recovery from this health crisis may not be as difficult as those in poor health already. This is not to minimize what you're going through in any way. But you've treated your body well and may it respond better to treatment. And you don't have the woulda/coulda/shoulda nagging at you.

Yes, polluted environments and food additives may be detrimental to our health, and another thing to ask is what are you putting *on* your body? Think about all the antiperspirants, hand cream, body lotion, soap, sports cream, moisturizer, shampoo, conditioner, hairstyling products, the variety of make-up from foundation to blush to eyebrow pencil, eyeshadow....have I missed anything? You may want investigate what you are applying to your skin and make adjustments if you feel you should.

All that said, I take daily vitamin D, turmeric/curcurmin, calcium and fish oil. I'm not saying it kills the cancer cells. These are the supplements that through research, I decided were a good idea to take to try and prevent or slow down bc progression. But I take daily Arimidex, and that's what's the main thing helping me remain stable. The supplements make me feel I'm doing a bit more for my health, whether they truly help or not. I like to think they do.

• Yndorian
    Yndorian Member Posts: 236
    Options

I drink latex extracted from the cactus named aveloz (euphorbia turicalli) There's many studies specially in Albert Einstein oncology hospital of Brasil and INCA national institute of cancer. Apparently this latex promote apoptosis and helps to stop mets. You can see some intervieus to the doctors ho was investigating this latex. There are too many comentaries of people ho claims they was cured even for severe cases of cancer, unfortunily there are in portugues. I don' t think it is a magic bullet but... If it helps... Sorry about my english, i' m from Argentina. Love

• iamelaine
    iamelaine Member Posts: 39
    Options

Found this an interesting read. It talks about the effects glucose/sugar/insulin have on cancer and especially breast cancer. I have been strictly following a keto diet for years and truly believe it has had an effect on my very crappy diagnosis.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/cancer-sugar-strategy-selective-starvation-cancer

and her is another great article

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/03/10/ketogenic-diet.aspx

• 1redgirl
    1redgirl Member Posts: 94
    Options
    A yr ago, I gave up sugar and carbs, most meat, no alcohol, and only eat Between noon and 6 pm. There are days I go 24 hrs before I eat. I feel fine. No highs or lows. I go to the gym and workout every day for 2 hrs. No food, but drink water and ginger tea. I have considerably more energy today than ever. I sleep great most nights. I have worked very hard to remove stress. I also ride my bike in the afternoon. Usually about 2 hrs. Yes, I do cheat like eating dark choc which is allowed. I do that when I visit a neighboring town with a candy store. It is a treat. I just eat a lot of veggies which I like a lot anyway.

This week I had my 1 yr mammogram. Clear. No cancer symptoms. I saw my oncologist. He told me I am alone in my journey as no other patients have chosen to forego chemo, radiation and hormone therapy and stuck to it. He was wondering if I had changed my mind, or ever would. He believes the odds of my cancer coming back is very high. I assured him I am fine with my decision. I feel great. I had a good last year and am grateful.

Just wanted to say I believe fasting is critical. I say that because our modern world has screwed up our circadian rhythm. Eating is meant to fuel the next activity. So no eating after dark. People eat today and then lay around nibbling until they go to bed which can be late. Most people sleep poorly. Then they begin to eat early and sit more at work again nibbling. It isn’t just that we eat way more than we need, we eat the wrong things, and we eat for too many hours then never get the restorative sleep we need.
  • edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

I will be 8 years out in August God willing. Since my DX I haven’t changed my eating habits except it’s more in moderation. I do drink a few beers a month and I’m busy and moving a lot but I don’t go to the gym. I’m not overweight.

I think BC isn’t a one size, fits all disease so you have to do what’s best for you. I’m not eliminating any food - just trying not to overeat.

Diane

• macb04
    macb04 Member Posts: 756
    Options

I take Curcumin ( forgot the dose)/, Vitamin D3 5, 000IU daily

Vitamin K2 , 45mg daily ( Osteo K Minis brand) .

20mg of Melatonin at bedtime

100mg Bioidentical Progesterone at Bedtime

4.5mg LDN ( Low Dose Naltrexone )

Pycnogenol ( for the mad tinitis in my ears)

Thorne CoQ10 ( forgot the dose)

Hawthorne Extract for my heart damaged by rads

Turkey Tail extract daily by Fungi Perfecti ( Paul Stamets company out of Olympia, Washington)

I also cycle onto Artemesinin/Artemesinin supplement in combination with Sodium Butyrate for 7 days on twice per day, and 14 days off.

Gosh, that is a lot when you look at that, although I am used to it.

I also eat shiitake and Maiitake mushrooms frequently/ kale from my garden, ect....

• Wattlump
    Wattlump Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am so into the essential oils it’s not funny

Frankincense, sandalwood, oregano, thyme, chamomile

• pipers_dream
    pipers_dream Member Posts: 187
    Options

I eat a lot of flax, on and off. Lately I’ve been grinding up about 2 tablespoons of the seeds every morning, because fresh ground is better, and then I whirl them up in the blender with a banana and any other fruit I have on hand. Once I even made guacamole in a glass, which isn’t as bad as it sounds, lol. I even think better with the omega 3 in my system.

I also drink ginger lemonade, without sugar, which is quite pleasant when you get used to it. Garlic tea, which is one clove of garlic mushed up with a pinch of good sea salt and I love this. And my new favorite, hibiscus tea, which scientists are saying is extremely healthy for you and I love it. It sort of tastes like cranberry juice and is the same color, but I like it better. Supposedly it’s 3x better for you than green tea, which is good because I hate green tea lol. If I don’t like it I’m too much of a baby to consume it so that’s that.

Lately I’ve been trying to work myself into the mood to fast but it’s just not coming and too bad because it is so amazing. Maybe when I get back home. Lol.

• macb04
    Options

Hey pipers dream, Hibiscus tea has been shown to lower blood pressure. Wonder what else it is good for?

• santabarbarian
    Options

pipers dream - there are 'egcg' capsules -- which is the active ingredient in green tea....

• pipers_dream
    pipers_dream Member Posts: 187
    Options

macb04, here’s a good link...https://nutritionfacts.org/2012/01/08/hibiscus-tea-flower-power/ Apparently it is really high in antioxidants and there is some data to show that it’s a cancer fighter, but I love the flavor so much that I would drink it anyway. It’s good hot or cold but it’s winter down here so I’ve been drinking it hot.

And santabarbarian, forgive me for being a bit silly. I do take the egcg caps...they’re part of my main arsenal, but I was just trying to be amusing there. I actually did drink green tea today though...I have a major sinus infection and don’t want antibiotics so I’m fasting, which has proven to work for me in the past. 24 hours after getting up, which makes it a 36 hour fast I suppose, and my sinuses were more clear than they’d ever been. Let’s hope it works this time cuz I want to see my grand Baby!

• macb04
    Options

Funny, piper's dream. I love the site Nutrition Facts.org too. I enjoy the way Dr Geiger (sp?) explains the research in the videos/ transcripts of the videos. I have learned a lot there that I share. That's actually where I first learned about Hibiscus Tea.