Topic: Cannabis Basics

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Dec 26, 2019 08:04PM - edited Jun 22, 2021 04:07PM by exbrnxgrl

Posted on: Dec 26, 2019 08:04PM - edited Jun 22, 2021 04:07PM by exbrnxgrl

exbrnxgrl wrote:

I have been using cannabis for the past few years. My main goal in using this is pain relief, de-stressor and for sleep. I have read some stories of using cannabis to cure cancer, but there is simply not enough data for me topursue it's use for that purpose.

Let me start by saying that I live in a legal state, both medical and recreational. My purchases and self experimentation are just that, my own personal experience. Your experiences may be different. If you're wondering why there isn't more scientific based research on weed, it is still completely illegal on the federal level, so not many research dollars available.

Cannabinols are the active ingredients in cannabis. With some variations, the major cannabinols are CBD and THC. CBD is not psychoactive, THC is. Cannabis plants fall into two major categories, Sativa and Indica. Indicas are known to be more sedating. This is the stuff that creates “couch lock". Sativas are thought to be more energizing. It gives more of a giggly high and is less sedating. On top of this there are many hybrids.

In addition to knowing if your weed is Sativa or Indica, different strains within each category will have varying amounts/ratios of CBD to THC. If you live in a legal state, this information should be available on the packaging. Other very important info on the packaging will be percentages of these ingredients. For instance, due to my high tolerance, I generally look for products that are at least 20% THC, 5% CBD , though for sleep I prefer a 1:1 ratio. The higher the CBD level to THC, the less “high" you will feel.

Strains... what can I say except there are hundreds, especially with all of the hybridization and mixing of strains. Here are some favorites:

Sativa- Durban Poison, Jack Herrer, Lemon Haze

Indica- Gorilla Glue, most Kush strains, Zkittlez

I have tried most, but not all, of the available forms cannabis come in. Edibles are great but for me, the time from consumption to onset of effects has been very inconsistent. Some of the edibles such as cookies and candy bars are so delicious that you can wind up eating lots of sugar! Vaping was ok, but gave me a sore throat so I no longer vape.

I prefer capsules or sub-lingual drops and use a 1:1 CBD/THC ratio. This is what I usually take about 90 minutes before bed or even earlier. For immediate effects, I find there is no substitute for smoking a joint.

My only advice for those who are interested in cannabis is to go low (dosage) and slow(wait some time before taking more). If you have access to a legal dispensary, the bud tenders are usually quite knowledgeable and can advise you. In the end, it boiled down to a lot of self experimentation and too many Kiva brand dark chocolate bars 🤣. BTW, if you consume too much THC, i.e. you get too high, CBD can help counteract that.

While not an expert, I have years of personal experience under my belt and am happy to share what I have learned. As with anything that has psychoactive effects please do not drive or do anything that requires an unimpaired state of mind to do. I should add that I only use cannabis at night as I still work full time*. Lastly, if you are not in a legal state or simply choose not to use legal dispensaries there is no way to know what you're getting. In my state, the legal dispensaries are very expensive due to high taxes, but I am willing to pay that because I know what I'm getting (this includes if it is organic, indoor or outdoor grow etc.)

* I’m now retired! 6/4/2

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 10 of 14 (135 results)

Oct 16, 2021 11:26AM nopink2019 wrote:

Don't know if you noticed this new topic about cannabis study--https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/73/topics...

Difficult reading, but this screams for more research and understanding about CBD & THC.

2008: Stage 1 ER+/ PR-/ HER2- (lumpectomy, ACT, rads +7 yrs AI) 2019: Stage 4 (lungs & liver). Treatment, then progression - Kisqali & fluvestrant (18 mos), Aromasin & Afinitor (6 mos), Xeloda (6 mos). Started 6/2022 Eribulin. Since 2019: Lexapro for depression & Ritalin for fatigue

Oct 16, 2021 05:29PM lillyishere wrote:

I got a bottle of CBD as a gift. It is unopened and I am a bit nervous to try it since my MO said there are no data that that is safe and effective, etc. especially since I am taking letrozole that has messed up my system. Any thoughts on that? Does anyone who takes letrozole and Zometa have any experience, good or bad?

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2019 Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Surgery 9/1/2019 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 9/1/2019 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/29/2019 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2019 Femara (letrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Dx LCIS/ILC, Both breasts, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 16, 2021 08:00PM kbl wrote:

LillyIsHere, I have a medical card and have THC, but I don’t usually take it because it gives me a weird head feeling. I also have a CBD tincture that doesn’t make me feel any different. I took some today because I have been pretty nauseous the last few days on Xeloda. I felt it helped. I also took it while I was on Ibrance and Letrozole. I don’t take it every day, and before today, it had been weeks. I’m also on Zometa.

De Novo ILC - No primary found. Mets to full spine, femurs, skull, and stomach. Missed diagnosis from 2013 to 2019 Dx 5/1/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 5/1/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2019 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy 9/27/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Oct 16, 2021 08:06PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Hi Lily,

Sadly, your mo is somewhat correct. Because CBD derived from cannabis is not federally legal, there is little research money available for further investigation into the medical potential (and not just for CBD, but for all parts of the plant). CBD derived from hemp, a close relative of cannabis, is readily available in many states and is sold everywhere it seems! CBD by itself is not psychoactive regardless of which plant it comes from. I have not used pure CBD as I find better effects if I have some THC with it. I have read that there isn't a real difference between CBD derived from hemp and CBD derived from cannabis.

CBD derived from cannabis is more expensive in my state and must be purchased in a dispensary. There are quite a few established and reputable companies that make various CBD products and I am confident of their quality. It costs a company too much money to legally operate in CA so they don't do anything to jeopardize their licenses.

My mo knows I use cannabis and I have been on all of the AIs without problems. Any research regarding cannabis and AIs is probably a long way off.

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 16, 2021 10:50PM lillyishere wrote:

Thank you Ladies. Have you read if CBD has some anti-cancer properties? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7693730/

exbrnxgr, how long have you been using it and how often?

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2019 Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Surgery 9/1/2019 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 9/1/2019 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/29/2019 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2019 Femara (letrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Dx LCIS/ILC, Both breasts, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 17, 2021 12:57PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Thank you, Lily! I have spent very little time researching cannabis and it’s components as a cure or treatment for breast cancer because my interest is in symptom relief. I hope we see more research like this in the future. For those using hemp derived CBD, please note this study used cannabis Sativa which would only be available in legal states.

I have been using cannabis for pain relief and as an appetite stimulant for at least six years. I had a medical card prior to recreational legalization.

Oct 17, 2021 06:51PM lillyishere wrote:

exbrnxgrl, I hope you don't mind me asking if your symptoms are bone pain. Also, being stage IV for almost 10 years I wonder if cannabis has helped even a bit.

Oct 17, 2021 08:43PM - edited Oct 17, 2021 08:44PM by exbrnxgrl

Lily,

My pain is mostly joint pain though I do have limited bone pain. I use cannabis at night because I like formulations with at least a 1:1 CBD:THC ratio or even those with a higher THC level. I have a very high THC tolerance but it still makes me high so I can't use it during the day. Aleve still works on my day time pain.

As to whether cannabis has helped with my actual bc, we will never know and I am not willing to jump into the anecdotal story pool. My use is not entirely consistent, I've used a wide variety of products, formulations , etc. There is simply no way to make a correlation between my cannabis use and my unusual good luck of being stage IV for ten years. That's why we need real research, not anecdotes!

Oct 17, 2021 10:48PM - edited Oct 17, 2021 10:49PM by nopink2019

exbrnxgrl, you are so helpful, keep telling your story

2008: Stage 1 ER+/ PR-/ HER2- (lumpectomy, ACT, rads +7 yrs AI) 2019: Stage 4 (lungs & liver). Treatment, then progression - Kisqali & fluvestrant (18 mos), Aromasin & Afinitor (6 mos), Xeloda (6 mos). Started 6/2022 Eribulin. Since 2019: Lexapro for depression & Ritalin for fatigue

Oct 19, 2021 08:38PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Thank you nopink! I know that I may eventually have to move on to stronger pain relief but for right now, cannabis is wonderful. I am fortunate to live in a legal state with an active pro-cannabis community. The one thing that anyone considering cannabis use should remember is that it is expensive and not covered by insurance. I typically spend about $300. a month. Some of you may have heard of Marinol, which can be prescribed by doctors. Marinol is synthetic THC, not cannabis. I have never used it but I know a few who have and they unanimously agree that it is not as effective as an actual cannabis product.

Page 10 of 14 (135 results)

Scroll to top button