Topic: Cannabis Basics

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Dec 26, 2019 09:04PM - edited Jun 22, 2021 05:07PM by exbrnxgrl

Posted on: Dec 26, 2019 09:04PM - edited Jun 22, 2021 05:07PM by exbrnxgrl

exbrnxgrl wrote:

I have been using cannabis for the past few years. My main goal in using this is pain relief, de-stressor and for sleep. I have read some stories of using cannabis to cure cancer, but there is simply not enough data for me topursue it's use for that purpose.

Let me start by saying that I live in a legal state, both medical and recreational. My purchases and self experimentation are just that, my own personal experience. Your experiences may be different. If you're wondering why there isn't more scientific based research on weed, it is still completely illegal on the federal level, so not many research dollars available.

Cannabinols are the active ingredients in cannabis. With some variations, the major cannabinols are CBD and THC. CBD is not psychoactive, THC is. Cannabis plants fall into two major categories, Sativa and Indica. Indicas are known to be more sedating. This is the stuff that creates “couch lock". Sativas are thought to be more energizing. It gives more of a giggly high and is less sedating. On top of this there are many hybrids.

In addition to knowing if your weed is Sativa or Indica, different strains within each category will have varying amounts/ratios of CBD to THC. If you live in a legal state, this information should be available on the packaging. Other very important info on the packaging will be percentages of these ingredients. For instance, due to my high tolerance, I generally look for products that are at least 20% THC, 5% CBD , though for sleep I prefer a 1:1 ratio. The higher the CBD level to THC, the less “high" you will feel.

Strains... what can I say except there are hundreds, especially with all of the hybridization and mixing of strains. Here are some favorites:

Sativa- Durban Poison, Jack Herrer, Lemon Haze

Indica- Gorilla Glue, most Kush strains, Zkittlez

I have tried most, but not all, of the available forms cannabis come in. Edibles are great but for me, the time from consumption to onset of effects has been very inconsistent. Some of the edibles such as cookies and candy bars are so delicious that you can wind up eating lots of sugar! Vaping was ok, but gave me a sore throat so I no longer vape.

I prefer capsules or sub-lingual drops and use a 1:1 CBD/THC ratio. This is what I usually take about 90 minutes before bed or even earlier. For immediate effects, I find there is no substitute for smoking a joint.

My only advice for those who are interested in cannabis is to go low (dosage) and slow(wait some time before taking more). If you have access to a legal dispensary, the bud tenders are usually quite knowledgeable and can advise you. In the end, it boiled down to a lot of self experimentation and too many Kiva brand dark chocolate bars 🤣. BTW, if you consume too much THC, i.e. you get too high, CBD can help counteract that.

While not an expert, I have years of personal experience under my belt and am happy to share what I have learned. As with anything that has psychoactive effects please do not drive or do anything that requires an unimpaired state of mind to do. I should add that I only use cannabis at night as I still work full time*. Lastly, if you are not in a legal state or simply choose not to use legal dispensaries there is no way to know what you're getting. In my state, the legal dispensaries are very expensive due to high taxes, but I am willing to pay that because I know what I'm getting (this includes if it is organic, indoor or outdoor grow etc.)

* I’m now retired! 6/4/2

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 11 of 14 (135 results)

Oct 19, 2021 10:56PM beth1965 wrote:

so glad I found this thread

Exbrnxgirl you are so helpful !!!

lots of great info and nice to read about real experiences

Doctor says taking the cbd oil won’t have any effect on my cancer drugs and I am welcome to add in if I please once I have all my new treatments started for abit

The only thing thing it appears it may have a problem with my blood thinners just wondering if anyone else is on blood thinners and how everything went

Looking for hope Surgery 2/2/2012 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 8/15/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/28/2012 Faslodex (fulvestrant), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 11/8/2013 Aromasin (exemestane) Local Metastases Radiation therapy: Bone

Oct 26, 2021 09:28AM lillyishere wrote:

Day 2 on CBD, starting slow and I don't see any difference. Sleep is better but I believe the reason is that I moved letrozole in the morning and not before bedtime. BWT, Cannabis sativa is legal in my state. Beth, let me know if you find out about blood thinners and cbd oil.

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2019 Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Surgery 9/1/2019 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 9/1/2019 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2019 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2019 Femara (letrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Dx LCIS/ILC, Both breasts, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 5, 2021 03:16PM tinkerbell65 wrote:

Exbrnxgrl - thank you for all the information. I don't know if the cannabis is helping my cancer, but it does help me sleep, which is what I need. It is legal in my state, but I am considering asking my doc for a medical marijuana card, to see if I might save money that way.

Nov 5, 2021 03:29PM - edited Nov 5, 2021 03:33PM by exbrnxgrl

tinkerbell,

In CA, a medical card allows you to purchase more daily and saves quite a bit on sales taxes. The problem for me is that when recreational was instituted the regulations for medical patients changed. There were now specific doctors who could issue medical recommendations and they charged far more than years earlier. You also needed to pay a substantial county fee to obtain the card. I should add that it varies by county so this is the current situation in my county. Anyway right before recreational became legal a bud tender at my dispensary looked up what I spent in the previous year and figured it was still cheaper for me to go rec. I know my posts make me sound like a huge stoner but I actually use small quantities. Take care.

PS: 2:1? You would likely feel high if you took it during the day but it’s great for sleep

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 8, 2021 09:54AM ShetlandPony wrote:

Question: Any suggestions on what kind of cannabis product to choose and how to use it as an anti-nausea med with chemo? I suspect my onc will recommend a taxane for the newly diagnosed ILC colon met. I was thinking about anti nausea meds, and how I have to avoid any with gastrointestinal side effects. It may be time for me to try cannabis. I am pretty sensitive to drugs in general. I do not want to smoke, and currently cannot eat anything with fiber. Please forgive me for not reading through the thread for an answer. I do not feel well because of a partial colon blockage from the tumor.

2011 Stage I ITCs sn, premenopausal, Oncotype 16. 2014 Stage IV mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD 1 1/2yrs. GI/perit mets Dx 2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2014, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/other, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy

Nov 8, 2021 01:41PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

shetland,

It is the THC in cannabis that relieves nausea and stimulates the appetite. THC is also the psychoactive cannabinoid,i.e. it makes you feel high. I would recommend that you look for an edible with ratio of 18:1 (CBD: THC). That’s a low dose of THC, but I don’t know your experience with cannabis so your mantra should be low and slow. If you are not getting the effect you want, you can take more of the 18:1 or buy a product with more THC. You really can’t OD on THC. If you take too much you can counteract it with pure CBD or just go to bed. You can find gummies, chocolate bars,tinctures, syrups, capsules, etc. If your dispensary has experienced bud tenders they can often be helpful in recommending products/doasage. I currently use 2:1 or 1:1 products and I don’t mind feeling a bit high but I generally only use in the evening at home. Let me know if you have any other questions . Take care.

Nov 8, 2021 02:04PM - edited Nov 8, 2021 02:07PM by ShetlandPony

Thank you, that is helpful information. How long for edibles to take effect? Total newbie here. For those with a choice, pros and cons of medical card vs. just a regular shopper? Will the chemo nurses be ok with it or do I say nothing?

2011 Stage I ITCs sn, premenopausal, Oncotype 16. 2014 Stage IV mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD 1 1/2yrs. GI/perit mets Dx 2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2014, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/other, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy

Nov 8, 2021 02:27PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Shetland,

I do hope your let your mo know if you choose to use cannabis as I think that's very important that they know. My mo had no objections and the social worker at my medical center actually walked me through the process of getting a medical card many years ago. I'm not sure about the chemo nurses but if you're in a legal state and your mo knows, it is not really any of their business. Most edibles/tinctures have a long onset, generally 60-90 minutes after ingestion. Some formulations are labeled rapid onset but in my personal experience it will still take about 45-60 minutes. Sub-linguals also have a quicker onset.

Medical card vs adult use can vary not only by state but sometimes city by city, at least in CA. In CA, a medical card saves you money in taxes and allows you to purchase larger quantities each day. It may also give you access to higher dose formulations. My city and most big cities in CA allow both medical and adult use but my dd lives in Napa and they only allow medical use. Whether it's worth getting medical card or not depends on local regulations and how much a medical card will run you. Medical cards have become much more expensive in my county and I don't consume enough to justify the expense so I let my medical card lapse when adult use started. Take care

Nov 8, 2021 03:24PM ShetlandPony wrote:

Thanks for the additional info! I will absolutely tell my onc if I decide to try it. Some brief reading on MSKCC and NCI web sites indicates that cannabis may offer as good or better nausea control with fewer side effects for me, so it will have to be included, at least by me, when we discuss options.

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/cannabis

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/patient/cannabis-pdq

Nov 8, 2021 03:36PM ShetlandPony wrote:

Ok, I found the blurb that prompted my question about the nurses. I go to an NCCN cancer center, and they are required to comply with federal law. Therefore, they cannot permit "the possession of marijuana in any form" on their campus. So, it appears one would have to take it before entering.

Page 11 of 14 (135 results)

Scroll to top button