Topic: Cannabis Basics

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Dec 26, 2019 07:04PM - edited Jun 22, 2021 03:07PM by exbrnxgrl

Posted on: Dec 26, 2019 07:04PM - edited Jun 22, 2021 03:07PM by exbrnxgrl

exbrnxgrl wrote:

I have been using cannabis for the past few years. My main goal in using this is pain relief, de-stressor and for sleep. I have read some stories of using cannabis to cure cancer, but there is simply not enough data for me topursue it's use for that purpose.

Let me start by saying that I live in a legal state, both medical and recreational. My purchases and self experimentation are just that, my own personal experience. Your experiences may be different. If you're wondering why there isn't more scientific based research on weed, it is still completely illegal on the federal level, so not many research dollars available.

Cannabinols are the active ingredients in cannabis. With some variations, the major cannabinols are CBD and THC. CBD is not psychoactive, THC is. Cannabis plants fall into two major categories, Sativa and Indica. Indicas are known to be more sedating. This is the stuff that creates “couch lock". Sativas are thought to be more energizing. It gives more of a giggly high and is less sedating. On top of this there are many hybrids.

In addition to knowing if your weed is Sativa or Indica, different strains within each category will have varying amounts/ratios of CBD to THC. If you live in a legal state, this information should be available on the packaging. Other very important info on the packaging will be percentages of these ingredients. For instance, due to my high tolerance, I generally look for products that are at least 20% THC, 5% CBD , though for sleep I prefer a 1:1 ratio. The higher the CBD level to THC, the less “high" you will feel.

Strains... what can I say except there are hundreds, especially with all of the hybridization and mixing of strains. Here are some favorites:

Sativa- Durban Poison, Jack Herrer, Lemon Haze

Indica- Gorilla Glue, most Kush strains, Zkittlez

I have tried most, but not all, of the available forms cannabis come in. Edibles are great but for me, the time from consumption to onset of effects has been very inconsistent. Some of the edibles such as cookies and candy bars are so delicious that you can wind up eating lots of sugar! Vaping was ok, but gave me a sore throat so I no longer vape.

I prefer capsules or sub-lingual drops and use a 1:1 CBD/THC ratio. This is what I usually take about 90 minutes before bed or even earlier. For immediate effects, I find there is no substitute for smoking a joint.

My only advice for those who are interested in cannabis is to go low (dosage) and slow(wait some time before taking more). If you have access to a legal dispensary, the bud tenders are usually quite knowledgeable and can advise you. In the end, it boiled down to a lot of self experimentation and too many Kiva brand dark chocolate bars 🤣. BTW, if you consume too much THC, i.e. you get too high, CBD can help counteract that.

While not an expert, I have years of personal experience under my belt and am happy to share what I have learned. As with anything that has psychoactive effects please do not drive or do anything that requires an unimpaired state of mind to do. I should add that I only use cannabis at night as I still work full time*. Lastly, if you are not in a legal state or simply choose not to use legal dispensaries there is no way to know what you're getting. In my state, the legal dispensaries are very expensive due to high taxes, but I am willing to pay that because I know what I'm getting (this includes if it is organic, indoor or outdoor grow etc.)

* I’m now retired! 6/4/2

Dx IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 9 of 14 (131 results)

Aug 4, 2021 07:02PM - edited Aug 4, 2021 07:03PM by exbrnxgrl

runor,

I don't know what your unfortunate tofu accident was exactly, but the words tofu, accident, and unfortunate in the same sentence had me cracking up 😂. My experimentation has been limited to trying new products at the dispensary and seeing what works for me.

You go, my mad scientist friend !

Aug 6, 2021 01:42PM elderberry wrote:

runor: I made excellent canna-butter that I used in cookies and fudge. Checking out how big a bite I should take was the challenge. You can get higher THC in capsules as well as tinctures, usually they have CBD in them as well. Back in the Old Days (1969) I used to dry pan fry shake just to the smoking point then stir it into a chocolate brownie mix. Anyone here old enough to remember doing that? I find pot grown outdoors be it sativa or indica is a much better smoke. Why I don't know. Solei(Sense/Toucher) reminds me of the days of yore - social, munchy-inducing

Timmy OG - available at some dispensaries is basically a powdery hash. It is a very pleasant buzz. No couch lock. It is very social as well. Oh yeah - and great for watching Sci-Fi and other crazy TV. It makes things EPIC. I prefer Indicas overall because Sativa is energizing and I already buzz around like mad when I am straight. Wedding is good for sleep for me. A few puffs and I yawn. I don't use it every night but on the evenings when it isn't coming easily I'll have a toke.

As for edibles. 10 mg is too much for me. I have become a light weight since becoming an Old Fart. Sometimes 5 mg is just a titch more than I want at the time but 2.5 isn't quite enough. If I cut a 2.5 in half and add it to a whole 2.5 I'll have 3.75. Maybe that will be the sweet spot. Then again - it depends. Fire Side makes a salted dark chocolate caramel that looks like it came out of a Purdy's box. It is 5 mg a unit and besides being ridiculously yummy was a great buzz. Maybe it was my head space at the time. I will try more once they restock it. It sells out. A lot.

My husband likes the THC sodas. - flavours like mango/raspberry, watermelon.....There is a THC beer too but he won't try because he thinks beer should be - well - beer.

By the by - Shoppers Drug Mart has a cannabis dispensary. It is online and they ship all over the place - discretely, they say. You have to register with a medical note but since it is legal and unless there is a reason where it is contra-indicated I don't think many doctors would say no, especially to cancer patients. No edibles though.

Happy experimenting. As the saying used to go "a friend with weed is a friend indeed"

Happy Trails!!

De Novo - this isn't a "brave battle" - it is a "furious struggle" Dx 3/6/2019, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, HER2+ Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Aug 14, 2021 06:47PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

i ran across this 2018 documentary on cannabis and pediatric cancers. Although it focuses on pediatric cancers, there is a lot of discussion on legalization and its obstacles, the short history of it as a schedule 1 drug, dosing, and a lot of the complications in changing its status and doing extensive research on its medical potential. Be warned, if seeing children with cancer is too difficult for you, please skip this. I barely held it together but my personal interest in the subject pushed me through it. It upset me in general that there appears to be medical potential, with little harm, yet it’s federal legal status prevents any major research toconfirm or deny this. It’s available on Netflix and is called Weed the People. It’s worth a watch.

Aug 14, 2021 07:20PM dutchiegirl wrote:

I’ve been using cannabis for a few years now - I had really bad night sweats due to menopause and using a 1:1 blend totally helped. I found that it made me feel “weird” - it made me feel like I was having bad dreams while I was awake. More recently I found an Indica oil by Five Founders that I love. It’s mostly THC so I balance it with CBD. I’m a heavyweight when it comes to cannabis (and pain killers!) so I dose at around 28 mg. I’ve been sleeping really well! It does take a while to kick in but I’m not into smoking or vaping so this is the best option for me

Lori-Anne Dx 11/7/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 6/8 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 1/13/2019 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Chemotherapy 3/3/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 7/28/2019 Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Aug 15, 2021 12:12PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

I have a fairly high tolerance for THC as well. I’m glad you’ve hit upon something that works for you. The self experimentation on dosing is annoying and if you use cannabis regularly you may have to keep switching things up as you build up a tolerance. Five Founders may only be available in Canada. Even in the States, many brands are not nationally available since each state has its own process for approving/licensing growers, product manufacturers and retailers. For instance, as far as I can tell, everything I’ve bought from the dispensaries I use contain cannabis grown in CA and manufactured into products sold in CA. The greatest obstacle, of course, is the classification of cannabis as a schedule 1 substance and federal illegality. I guess that would make it a federal crime to move cannabis across state lines. I am not a lawyer and would welcome any legal insight into this.

Sep 8, 2021 08:30AM gokale4320 wrote:

I finally ordered some full spectrum CBD oil- medium strength. I have used it 3 nights in a row, and in order to see how it works, I stopped my other pain meds. I’m happy to report that the pain is under control during the day by taking cbd at night. The only thing I need to change is to take it much earlier in the evening because I toss and turn for several hours in the middle of the night and then sleep well the last few hours. I tried the first night without taking melatonin but didn’t sleep well. I read online that cbd and melatonin are fine together.

Dx: January 2017, IDC, Stage IIa, 1/23 nodes, <1cm Chemo 2/16/17 Cytoxan Taxotere x4 Radiation 6/8/2017, natural alternative to tamoxifen 3/2021 Stage 4 - mets to bones. Ibrance and Letrozole and Xgeva Dx 1/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 8, 2021 10:24AM moth wrote:

I have a 30:1 tincture that I've been trying out. it just knocks me out. 4 drops and I feel hungover the next day. 2 seems to be working well for me now.

Gokale, that's interesting that your pure cbd is helping. So is pure cbd useful for bone and joint pain? I'd like to be able to take something during the day that doesn't make me have a nap.

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 2/13/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/18/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/25/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/8/2020 External Hormonal Therapy 12/15/2020 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 3/2/2021 External Local Metastases 3/2/2021 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 1/1/2022 Trodelvy (sacituzumab govitecan-hziy) Chemotherapy 6/1/2022 Other

Sep 8, 2021 12:13PM gokale4320 wrote:

https://www.thecbdistillery.com/product/1000mg-cbd-tincture-fullspectrum/

This is what I bought. It’s helping my bone pain. I don’t have joint pain at this point so I can’t say if it will work. I have only taken it at night so I might try it on a weekend day to see if I get drowsy.

Dx: January 2017, IDC, Stage IIa, 1/23 nodes, <1cm Chemo 2/16/17 Cytoxan Taxotere x4 Radiation 6/8/2017, natural alternative to tamoxifen 3/2021 Stage 4 - mets to bones. Ibrance and Letrozole and Xgeva Dx 1/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 27, 2021 08:41PM sf-cakes wrote:

I just ordered my first delivery (Home delivery! Like a pizza!!) of a CBD/THC tincture, and a couple of pre-rolled indica strains. I need to try something to help me sleep and also reduce my anxiety - never been this anxious in my life, suspect MBC has something to do with it. Lol. My oncologist said these are not contraindicated with my current meds, and was nicely supportive of me trying this. Haven't used cannabis anything in over 20 years. Thank you exbrnxgrl for the recommendations, am going to start very slowly and hopefully start feeling a bit more like myself.

This is some bullshit. Dx 6/2020, ILC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 7/1/2020 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Chemotherapy 8/4/2020 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 11/2/2020 Chest wall Dx 1/2021, ILC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 2/9/2021 External Local Metastases 2/9/2021 Radiation therapy: Bone Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib)

Sep 27, 2021 11:43PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

sfcakes,

There is a tincture by Yummi Karma called Lights Out. It is high THC combined with some herbal extracts. It’s available in Santa Clara County so you might be able to find it in the city. I find it great for sleep but heed the low and slow advice for sure.

I love delivery! I almost never go to the dispensary any more. It’s as easy as ordering a pizza 🍕.

Page 9 of 14 (131 results)

Scroll to top button