Join Us

We are 218,192 members in 84 forums discussing 160,935 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Cryoablation - A better treatment option for some?

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Jan 15, 2020 08:52PM

imorris wrote:

I've looked into Cryoablation extensively and am now interviewing doctors and medical facilities that offer this treatment. It appears insurance companies are staying far away from this for many reasons as it appears to be a much safer, shorter, long term solution that is much less expensive if that makes any sense. Interested in discussing findings with others to help many learn about alternative treatment options. Lots of dead ends on the internet in researching this topic.

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Jan 15, 2020 11:57PM MinusTwo wrote:

imorris - if you could go to My Profile and post your diagnosis to date it would help us understand where you are.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jan 16, 2020 08:00AM BevJen wrote:

Imorris,

I'm not sure that cryoablation is considered alternative treatment. It is a process done by interventional radiologists. Most of the big centers and teaching hospitals have an interventional radiology department. Cryoablation and microwave ablation are used now in breast cancer for things like liver mets (check on PubMed for articles about this.) For some background, though, I'd check into large hospital centers and look for their available interventional radiology departments.

Dx 11/2003, ILC, Left, Stage IIIC, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2006, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+ Dx 5/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/5/2019 Targeted Therapy 8/1/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Radiation Therapy Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Chemotherapy TAC Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Jan 31, 2020 03:50AM Vidya99 wrote:

can cryoablation be done for a local recurrence tumor.

Jan 31, 2020 04:15AM - edited Jan 31, 2020 04:16AM by AliceBastable

One argument I've seen against cryoablation is that there's nothing left to run a detailed pathology on. Unless the biopsy sample was really comprehensive, no pathology means not knowing enough about the type of tumor to determine post-surgical (or in this case, post-blasted) treatments.

Endometrial cancer 2010, basal cell multiples, breast cancer 2018, kidney cancer 2018. Cancer's a bitch, but I'm a bigger one with more practice. Dx 5/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/10/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/7/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jan 31, 2020 06:42AM BevJen wrote:

It is possible for an interventional radiologist to take a biopsy sample and then do the cryoablation at the same time. One person on BCO that I know of had that done, so a complete pathology could be done on the biopsy sample. This was with a liver tumor.

Cryoablation or microwave ablation can be done on a single lesion or on several at the same time. The best place to find out information is to look at liver treatments at some of the larger cancer centers, and you will find some information. The best thing to do is to consult with an interventional radiologist to see what the possibilities are for your particular situation.

Dx 11/2003, ILC, Left, Stage IIIC, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2006, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+ Dx 5/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/5/2019 Targeted Therapy 8/1/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Radiation Therapy Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Chemotherapy TAC Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Feb 3, 2020 12:09AM - edited Feb 3, 2020 12:13AM by IslandGirl123

I was successfully treated with Cryoablation and immunotherapy through the Williams Cancer Institute, Dr Jason Williams. My oncologist advised me not to go this route but my research and my discussion with Dr. Williams gave me confidence to proceed.

My naturopath recently told me that she has 2 other patients that have also been successfully treated by Dr. Williams as well. He has been treating cancers with this method for over 15 years. He will not take you on if he does not believe there will be a positive outcome. I know this for fact because he would not treat my friend.

You can do a needle biopsy after Cryoablation to determine pathology. You run the risk of releasing cancer cells when doing needle biopsies any other way. If you look on Pub Med you will see the risk of needle biopsies.

Hope this helps

Dx 2/14/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

May 12, 2020 02:25AM calfam04 wrote:

Hi.

I am having cryoablation done in two days with Dr. Holmes the head of the FROST trial. I refused to do any of what was proposed after my biopsy in January and I wish I had not done even that. I have used diet, supplements, and counseling while I researched alternative treatment. I am hoping this procedure, while very pricey outside of the trial, will take care of my cancer. I would love to hear from others who have had cryoablation.

I have IDC and DCIS stage 1-2 HER2-

I wish list after my procedure and let everyone know how it goes.

Lisa

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)