Join Us

We are 218,036 members in 84 forums discussing 160,860 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Supplements that may inhibit Covid 19 / Coronavirus

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Mar 15, 2020 12:57PM - edited Mar 19, 2020 05:05PM by Husband11

Husband11 wrote:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&so...

5. Conclusions

Currently, COVID-19 has emerged in the human population, in China, and is a potential threat

to global health, worldwide. However, no approved drug currently exists to treat the disease. The

currently available drugs for COVID-19 treatment primarily act on the main protease (Mpro). The aim

of this study was to examine several medicinal plant-derived compounds that may be used to inhibit

the COVID-19 infection pathway. Nelfinavir, lopinavir, kaempferol, quercetin, luteolin-7-glucoside,

demethoxycurcumin, naringenin, apigenin-7-glucoside, oleuropein, curcumin, catechin, and

epicatechin-gallate have the lowest binding energies and inhibition constants. The affinity of

kaempferol bonds is higher compared with other compounds. Therefore, we suggested that

nelfinavir and lopinavir may represent potential treatment options, and kaempferol, quercetin,

luteolin-7-glucoside, demethoxycurcumin, naringenin, apigenin-7-glucoside, oleuropein, curcumin,

catechin, and epicatechin-gallate were the most recommended compounds found in medicinal plants

that may act as potential inhibitors of COVID-19 Mpro. However, further research is necessary to

investigate the potential uses of the medicinal plants containing these compounds.

Quercetin Research ongoing

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/a-made-in-cana...

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-fo...

https://ircm.qc.ca/en/news/lazaridis-family-founda...

https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.11...

Chloroquine and Coronavirus induced pneumonia

https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/3...

https://www.genengnews.com/a-lists/how-to-conquer-...

My comments:

Quercetin is an inexpensive, commonly available supplement, with very low side effects. Curcumin and catechin / epicatechin-gallate are all readily available as well. Both are often used for their purported anti-cancer benefits. The idea is that these supplements will interfere with the replication of the virus in the human body. Quercetin has proven efficacy for doing this with certain viruses, but it is not yet known whether it will work against the Coronavirus.

All of the above have potential to interfere with the metabolism of prescription drugs, and therefor should only be used in the absence of drugs to eliminate the risk of interference which could lead to either increased side effects or deceased activity, depending on the drug. Green tea concentrates have some potential for causing liver damage, so they should only be used as recommended. So this is something to be only used with medical advice and caution, and in the appropriate circumstances. It would seem to me, that out of an abundance of caution, one would only treat the virus once you have it, rather than take such supplements ahead of time in the hope of preventing infection.

Chloroquine is a prescription only drug used to treat malaria. The suggestion from the research is that it might interfere with the pneumonia brought on by the virus. Naturally, it would not be used as a prophylactic against getting the virus. It does have potential for severe side effects, although it is used commonly as a prophylactic against malaria.

Natural Sources of Quercetin and Kaempferol

2. Food Sources and Dietary Intakes

Quercetin and kaempferol are widely distributed in fruit and vegetables [16]. Table 1 shows the

average amounts in select major food sources. High concentrations of quercetin are found in a few

foods such as onion, asparagus, and berries, and small quantities are found in many di
erent fruit and

vegetables. The richest plant sources of kaempferol (mg/100 g fresh weight) are green leafy vegetables,

including spinach and kale, and herbs such as dill, chives, and tarragon. The leaves of wild leeks or

ramps (100g fresh weight) were reported to contain 50.2 and 32.5 mg of quercetin and kaempferol,

respectively [17].

Table 1. Select Plant Sources of Quercetin and Kaempferol.

Source Quercetin Kaempferol

Food mg/100 g fresh weight

Apples 4.01 0.14

Asparagus 14.0 1.40

Broccoli 13.7 7.20

Chili pepper 32.6 -

Chinese cabbage - 22.5

Kale 22.6 47.0

Leeks 0.9 2.67

Lettuce 14.7 0.84

Onions 45.0 4.50

Spinach 27.2 55.0

Chives 10.4 12.5

Dill 79.0 40.0

Fennel leaves 46.8 6.50

Oregano 42.0 -

Blueberry 14.6 3.17

Cherry 17.4 5.14

Cranberry 25.0 0.21

Wild leeks (whole) [17] 8.36 5.31

Beverage mg/100 ml

Black tea 2.50 1.70

Red wine 3.16 0.25

Sources: Phenol-Explorer and USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) Database for the Flavonoid Content

of Selected Foods.

Foods with the

highest concentrations of quercetin and kaempferol in plants are not necessarily the most bioavailable

sources. Glucoside conjugates which are found in onions appear to have the highest bioavailability in

humans.

Concerned husband Dx 2008, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 7/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 5/2016, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (14 results)

Posts 1 - 14 (14 total)

Mar 15, 2020 02:22PM ShetlandPony wrote:

Red grapes, apples, and green tea are good dietary sources of quercetin.

2011 Stage I ILC 1.5cm grade1 ITCs sn Lumpectomy,radiation,tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD

Mar 15, 2020 02:29PM Simone80 wrote:

This is good info. Thanks for the post.

Dx 7/2001, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 7/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/2019, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Mar 15, 2020 02:54PM - edited Mar 27, 2020 11:06AM by SerenitySTAT

This Post was deleted by SerenitySTAT.
"Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 🐶☕️🛀🖼🥐🌲🎭 Dx 11/2015 IDC Left IIIC 10/11 nodes ER+PR+HER2-, 12/2015 Left Mast, 2/2016 4 AC+12 Taxol, 9/2016 Rads Nodes Chest wall 15+4 boosts, 10/2016 Tamox, 4/2019 Exemestane, 12/2019 Ibrance/Xgeva

Mar 15, 2020 06:55PM claireinaz wrote:

Everything I've read says a good probiotic won't hurt. That good gut bacteria is all important for our immune systems.

9/29/11 ILC, 2 c. stage II grade 1, ER/PR+ HER2-, 6/11 nodes, lumpectomy, DDAC x 4, Taxol x 12, 33 rads, Tamoxifen/arimidex/aromasin, BMX/immed recon 7/3/13 "In the midst of winter, I found in me an invincible summer.” Albert Camus

Mar 17, 2020 11:47AM Husband11 wrote:

More on chloroquine:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/...

The first results obtained from more than 100 patients showed the superiority of chloroquine compared with treatment of the control group in terms of reduction of exacerbation of pneumonia, duration of symptoms and delay of viral clearance, all in the absence of severe side effects [4,5]. This has led in China to include chloroquine in the recommendations regarding the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 pneumonia [4,6].

Concerned husband Dx 2008, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 7/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 5/2016, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Mar 17, 2020 12:59PM ErenTo wrote:

Interesting stuff, Husband, and thank you for all the research. Matcha green tea is another good source of quercetin. I actually had just recently ordered quercetin (for its anti-cancer effect), but haven't started it yet. Maybe it's a good time to start. First I need to do some research on its interaction with Arimidex pathways though.

Survived an unexplained sudden cardiac arrest b/w surgery and chemo (while attending a chemo info session at the hospital). Code blue, CPR, induced coma, ICU, ICD. Escaped alive with heart and brain unscathed! Dx 12/8/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 6/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 1/12/2015 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 3/20/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 7/23/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy 8/4/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes

Mar 17, 2020 02:58PM ShetlandPony wrote:

Doesn’t tonic water have quinine? Is that close enough?

2011 Stage I ILC 1.5cm grade1 ITCs sn Lumpectomy,radiation,tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD

Mar 17, 2020 03:01PM wallycat wrote:

NAC is the only supplement I have seen researched for influenza/pulmonary issues. Covid is NOT influenza but may have similar upticks in pneumonia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9230243

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Mar 17, 2020 03:01PM - edited Mar 27, 2020 11:15AM by SerenitySTAT

This Post was deleted by SerenitySTAT.
"Do not overlook the little joys!" (Hesse, 1905) 🐶☕️🛀🖼🥐🌲🎭 Dx 11/2015 IDC Left IIIC 10/11 nodes ER+PR+HER2-, 12/2015 Left Mast, 2/2016 4 AC+12 Taxol, 9/2016 Rads Nodes Chest wall 15+4 boosts, 10/2016 Tamox, 4/2019 Exemestane, 12/2019 Ibrance/Xgeva

Mar 17, 2020 03:50PM Husband11 wrote:

I think if one was diagnosed with covid 19, its treatment would take priority and you would stop cancer treatment until you have the covid beat. I am attempting to secure some chloroquine to have on hand, just in case. In some countries it is available over the counter as prophylactic for malaria.

Mar 18, 2020 05:06PM pipers_dream wrote:

Lysine is another supplement to look into. It’s usually used to hold back attacks of the herpes family, like shingles or genital herpes.

Breast cancer should not be something to fear but rather a call to go deeper in this journey called life. Dx 11/14/2013, ILC, 5cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 3, 2020 01:31AM - edited Apr 3, 2020 01:34AM by macb04

Black Elderberry is extremely effective for viral illnesses like influenza and Corona Virus.

People are getting erroneously warned away from Black Elderberry. Illogical.

There are NO Documented cases of Cytokine Storm from using Black Elderberry.

NONE.

Elderberry raising levels of helpful types of cytokines is not in the least bit the same as a destructive Cytokine Storm.

Read the research....

https://suzycohen.com/articles/in-defense-of-precious-elderberries/

Apr 3, 2020 11:17AM santabarbarian wrote:

I have been on ~1g/day of quercetin throughout my treatment. and about 2-3g of curcumin among quite a few other antioxidants. (I took Taxotere and Carboplatin.) I was otherwise in good health and not on any other meds prior to treatment. It might be different with underlying conditions or other meds but I have never noticed any issue with quercetin. My Integrative Onc though quercetin was very valuable against BC.

pCR after neoadjuvant chemo w/ integrative practices; Proton rads. Dx 7/13/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 8/12/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/10/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Apr 4, 2020 11:03AM wallycat wrote:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/2004...

(Treating COVID-19 in a patient with multiple myeloma

Tocilizumab shows promise in addressing COVID-19 symptoms for people with blood cancers)
Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Page 1 of 1 (14 results)