We are 161,491 members in 81 forums discussing 127,266 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: My dog has cancer :(

Topic: My dog has cancer :(

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only or those posting on behalf of a Stage IV patient. There is a separate forum for Stage IV Caregivers/Family in "Support and Community Connections".

Posted on: Feb 27, 2012 01:30AM

3littlegirls wrote:

I just wanted to run this by you guys and see what you think.  I am struggling with having to put my dog down. I just found out last week her limp in her front leg is not a torn tendon but in fact cancer.  She has a large tumour on her shoulder.  I took her back to the vet and he basically said there is nothing he can do except amputate the whole leg and shoulder.  SHe is almost 13 and a large dog so that woud be out of the question. He said she is in pain and should be put down.  Yes she limps but she has never whimpered or shown signs of pain except the limp.  The vet gave us morphine and she seems happy. I guess I just have issues when I myself am doing everything I can to stay alive and then I just go off and put my dog down?  I don't want to be cruel and keep her hanging on if she really is in pain but I also don't just want to end her life.  I am so torn and sad.  I hate cancer!  

Michelle Dx 4/19/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 5/18 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 2 (43 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (43 total)

Feb 27, 2012 05:06AM , edited Feb 27, 2012 05:06AM by alesta29

Michelle - so sad. 

In my experience, I think that animals usually let you know when they've had enough. My last cat was trying to let me know and I kept him going for a couple of weeks which in retrospect, I wish I hadn't.

I think as long as they're eating, walking, wagging and not looking like they are obviously in pain it's OK to judge it on a day by day basis.

Tough one.

Laurie x 

Stay in the present and live each day as it comes. Stage IV from the get go June 2011. ER/PR+ HER 2- Liver, lung, bone, lymph, brain, peritoneal and pelvic mets - Man this list keeps getting longer...

Feb 27, 2012 05:15AM Kate60 wrote:

Michelle. If your dog doesn't appear to be suffereing, still wags her tail and eats her food, then I'd say she still has joy in her days. You'll know when it's time. I've been in similar predicaments more times than I care to remember. It is always hard finding the balance between what's really in their best interest and what's in yours. But you will know by looking into her eyes and her general demeanour if she's had had enough.

I wish we had the same choice available to humans as we do with our pets.  

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" - Dr. Seuss" Dx 10/16/2011, IDC, <1cm, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Feb 27, 2012 07:55AM fairweather9 wrote:

We had a cat with cancer in his mouth.  We were not going to put a 16+ year old cat through surgery, chemo etc so we got him pain killers and keep a careful watch on him.  After a few months it became clear that the quality of his life was no longer there.  It was very hard, this cat was like a child to us, but we did not want him to spend his last days in terrible pain so we let him go.  You will know when the time comes.

Dx 10/29/2011, , 2cm, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2012 07:59AM cheryl1946 wrote:

It will be 4 years in May that my dog Charlie had to be euthanized. He was almost 10 years old and I'd hhad him since the age of 5 weeks.

He had lost weight and I took him to the vet;she said it was cancer,and left it to me what to do. He was't in any pain,but QOL wasn't there. 

The decision almost killed me.

Although I have Mitzi my cat ,I miss him so much.

DX 7/6/11 with stage IV at the start;mets to several bones No surgery,rads,or chemo letrozole failed after 17 mos. 2 other hormonals failed; now on to xeloda Dx 7/6/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2012 08:09AM , edited Feb 27, 2012 09:51AM by Babs37

When I was young,our dog Loulou had breast cancer. She was I think 8 years-old. We brought her in for surgery to take the mass out. All went fine but 1 month later she was pain and cried everytime we would touch her so we knew it was back.My parents then decided it was time to end her suffering and had her put to sleep. I understand how you must feel. I remember we all cried. I think for me as a little girl, it was the first time I saw my dad cry too. We get attached to our pets. Like AussieKate said, you'll know when it's time. Hugs.

I have a friend who had BC 2 years ago and at the end of her treatments, they found out that her dog had cancer too. It's a little 10 years old shih tzu. Since it was her dog and it was there for her during all her treatments, she didn't have the heart to just put him to sleep. So she decided to try dog chemo (they have the money to try something like that....) Believe it or not, it worked and her dog is alive and well today. Did you know that a dog on chemo doesn't loose his fur? Lucky dogs..... 

And by the way, I HATE CANCER TOO!

Dx 8/26/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 2/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/9/2010 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/22/2011 Mastectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary, Right Radiation Therapy 5/6/2011

Feb 27, 2012 08:19AM JeninMichigan wrote:

Michelle

I have had to put two of my dogs down before and I know what a heartbreaking and difficult decision it is.  I have Great Danes and they just don't live long.   One of them had a degenerative disease and it killed me not knowing when was the right time.  Like you, I didn't want to be selfish and keep hanging on to him because I didn't want him to go.  However, when they are in pain, don't eat, or cannot get up and down without a lot of assistance, it is time.    It is a gift you give to your friend so they do not linger on suffering.  I wish it could be done for us humans.    My heart goes out to you.    effing cancer!!

Jennifer

Dx 2/22/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Feb 27, 2012 09:34AM china wrote:

Michelle, My dog China has breast cancer which I found out in June. She is almost 14. She doesnt act like she is in pain,  plays, eats good. Does not whimper. She is a rescue dog and the vet wanted her to have a complete hysterectomy and masectomy, then chemo. I refused because of her age, financial cost, ect. it grieves me to know that she is ill but is in no distress. When the time comes to put her to sleep, I will do that as long as she is not suffering, we enjoy each other's company. She has been my dearest companion during this journey. It is sad to lose your pet, it is part of the family. Go with your instincts, love you have with your dog in regards to her care. Hugs Dawn

Dx 4/6/2007, , 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2012 09:49AM Fitztwins wrote:

I too had a dog with cancer.  Wile, my first dog of my own. He went almost a year. I remember when he couldn't get up anymore to drink, I knew it was time. It broke my heart.

Unfortunately, it is a hard decision we have to make. I hear that dogs and cats rarely go on their own

Maybe take a few days/ weeks to think about it.  I feel that large dogs have a higher tolerence of pain.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Follow your gut.

Enjoy Every Sandwich. Dx 12/12/2004, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 1/19/2005 Mastectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary, Left; Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap Chemotherapy 2/1/2005 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 5/1/2005 Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 6/1/2005 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2006 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/2/2008 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 7/1/2008 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 5/5/2010 Tykerb (lapatinib) Hormonal Therapy 8/2/2012 Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 27, 2012 10:01AM , edited Feb 27, 2012 10:02AM by 3katz

These are our fur kids - very important members of the family. We just lost our oldest cat (only 12) a couple of weeks ago. She was her usual spunky self then one afternoon just found her panting and drooling excessively. Brought her to the emergency vet and the ultrasound showed she most likely had kidney cancer but wouldn't know for sure until after a biopsy but the vet was pretty convinced that was the diagnosis. We decided to see how she would respond to steroid treatment overnight but she went into respiratory distress and died while we were on our way home from the vet. My DH & I were just crushed. There was absolutely no warning. But she only had a few hours of misery so it was pretty quick and painless for her.

On our way home we were weighing out options - if it was cancer, do we want to put her through the misery of chemo? Probably not. But if steroids would do the trick, we would have tried that therapy. Well . . . we didn't have to make any decision.

I don't envy your position. It is such a hard decision. Follow your gut - if she seems pain free and happy for now, just keep a close eye on her.

I really should change my screen name to 2katz since we lost Barley but just can't bring myself to do it. I miss her terribly but I know she is not suffering.

Good luck - you'll know what to do when the time is right. I am so sorry you are going through this.

Amy D - orig dx 2005, stage III / recur-mets Stage IV dx 2008, multiple bone lesions / er/pr+, her2neu+++ / Dx 5-2010 brain met

Feb 27, 2012 10:04AM sincitydealer wrote:

My Basset Hound, Daisy/Dufus, had the same limp as your dog.  It was cancer, but she still had a good appetite so we let it go as long as we could.  She limped for quite some time until she couldn't get up anymore.  That's when we knew it was time.  If I could have carried her out to go to the bathroom, I would have.  I knew she was suffering, and realized that I was keeping her going for me, not for her.  We've had a lot of pets, and it hurts so much to make that decision.  Dogs give such unconditional love, and this is what we have to go through when we dare to love them back.

Peggy

Feb 27, 2012 10:41AM Marple wrote:

Michelle, I am so sorry on top of everything else you are now facing a most heart wrenching decision.  In my experience vets often don't 'tell' you to put an animal down.  They may sort of maneuver you to help you make the decision.  Animals tend to be quite stoic.  It's their nature (show weakness you become the prey) and sometimes they feel more pain than they let on.  If the vet actually told you to put her down, well, maybe she is ready.  Even though you are not.  I don't think one is ever 'ready'.

This happened a long time ago but it stuck with me.  A friend (animal savvy) took her old dog to the vet to be euthanized.  He asked her why she had waited so long?  He told her she had waited too long.  The dog had suffered needlessly.  The vet was from the old school, and he tended to both her large and small animals and knew her well.  The story has stayed with me over the years every time I have had to make that fateful decision.  The pain in one's heart is almost unbearable but my motto has been 'better a little too soon than a little too late'.

It's very difficult at times to let our better judgement overrule our emotions.

Sending hugs for your aching heart.

Dx 2006, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2012 01:59PM Lynn1 wrote:

Oh, I'm so sorry!!!  I tell ya I love my pets as much as people love their children.  (I don't have children so my pets fill that space!)   It is sooo heartbreaking to make this decision.  I had a cat that had kidney disease and, looking back, I kept her around longer than I should have.  I tend to agree with Sharon50 -- if the vet says she is in pain, it might be time to really start thinking about letting her go.  I know it's so hard!! I have a cat now that will be 15 in April.  He is still doing really well, but I can't imagine life without him.  My thoughts are with you!!  HUGS!!!!

~Lynn ER+, HER2- Bone mets: sternum, pelvis, spine, ribs....it's everywhere. Started Afinitor/Femara 10/15/12

Feb 27, 2012 02:11PM CoolBreeze wrote:

I had to put both a dog and cat down while I was dealing with my own disease.  It was particularly hard, as here I am, fighting with everything I have, and yet putting down my beloved pet.  However, they were suffering and there was nothing to do for them.  Their ends were peaceful and I can only hope mine is as well.

Ann's cancer blog: www.butdoctorihatepink.com .....multicentric/multifocal IDC/ILC+DCIS/LCIS/ADH Official dx? "Your breast was a mess." ~UniMastectomy/Chemo/Herceptin/Tamoxifen/Recon Almost Done! Oh wait. mets to liver 5/21/11 Now Stage IV Dx 8/17/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Feb 27, 2012 02:20PM Denise2730 wrote:

One of my Chihuahuas, Chula, has a mouth tumor. She goes Wednesday for the surgery. If it's cancer I'm not sure what I will do. I don't have the $$$ for lots of treatment. She just turned 12 which is not really old for a Chihuahua but we had her since she was 8 weeks ago. It's like she is the last tie to my deceased husband (other than our sons). He loved Chula, took her everywhere with him.

I guess I will just have to wait to see how serious this is. Like we don't have enough to worry about.

DMX 8/11/11 - TE's put in. Exchange date was December 16th. Hate them and had them redone by a different PS in June, 2012. They look so much better. Still waiting for nips & areolas. Dx 4/29/2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2012 02:24PM jenlee wrote:

I'm so very sorry that you and your beloved pet are going through this. Animals don't always show their pain, so it's good to know she's on pain meds and can still walk.  I have been through this too many times.  You probably already do this, but perhaps you & your family can take advantage of this window of time and spend as much quality time as possible with her, sleep with her, and show her how much she is loved...  With us, we always loved our pets so much, but sometimes life was so busy on the average day -- guilt feelings for us :( -- so we tired to make sure that we took the time -- that they really felt the love toward the end.

Jenifer, completed TAC x 8 on 4/24/2012. Lumpectomy on 5/23/2012. BMX & immediate DIEH stage 1 on 6/5/2012 NOLA; stage 2 surgery 10/4/12 NOLA. Tamoxifen since 6/2012. Switched to Arimidex 9/2013. Dx 10/20/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2012 02:25PM nbare1952 wrote:

We had to put my beloved cocker spaniel down about four months before my diagnosis.  It was one of the hardest things I ever did and I really do miss her to this day even though I got another dog last summer.  My dog had throat cancer so we really had no choice but to put her down.  You will know when the time is right. I will be thinking of you.

Feb 27, 2012 02:36PM Kelloggs wrote:

I had to put my cat of 10 years down early last year.  Tennessee was a rescue cat and he was the sweetest creature I knew.  He was with me through the years I was alone as a single mom and my kids loved him too.  He started acting strangely, seemed suddenly scared, hid all the time.  I took him to the vet and she said he had a brain tumor.  It was a gut-wrenching decision to have him put down because he did not appear to be in pain, but his quality of life was gone.  In the end I know I did the right thing for him but we sure miss him terribly.  You will make the right decision.....don't beat yourself up about it.  You know your pet and will know when it is time.

Kelly Dx 10/18/2011, IDC, 1cm, Grade 2, 5/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 12/8/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/8/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 5/1/2012

Feb 27, 2012 02:52PM cmhartley wrote:

Michelle,  first of all, I am so very sorry to hear about your baby.  As a veterinarian I can tell you that it is so hard to tell a client that their beloved pet has cancer, especially bone cancer (osteosarcoma), because of the fact that it is such a painful type of cancer and traditionally there hasn't been much one could do other than amputate the affected leg, which usually only buys them a little bit of time.

Right now it seems like from your post that your baby is comfortable with the morphine. If needed, there are additional medications that can help such as Fentanyl patches, oral tramadol, injectable hydromorphone and buprenorphine and even an NSAID such as Rimadyl or Previcox.  Since she seems comfortable, don't feel pressured to make an immediate decision. I think you need to take some time to absorb the information, do some further research and even consider a 2nd or 3rd opinion.   I know that traditionally the only treatment for bone cancer (osteosarcoma) in dogs has been amputation +/- radiation or chemotherapy.  However, I do know that there has been a lot of work being done at several vet schools in the US with other treatments.  I just don't know at this time if anything has changed, success rates, etc.  So, I think basically your only decisions at this time would be 1) do nothing and concentrate on pain control, 2) amputate to buy some time or 3) euthanasia.  I would probably lean towards 1 or 2 right now as I think a lot of these guys can be managed quite well with the proper pain control.  If you would consider amputation, I can tell you that given the right candidate (a dog that is in otherwise good health with strong hindlimbs i.e. no evidence of severe hip dysplasia, knee problems, etc) these dogs do very very well with proper pain management post operatively.  I usually keep these guys on constant rate IV infusions of Fentanyl, morphine or hydromorphone along with ketamine and lidocaine and then I transition them over to a Fentanyl patch and/or oral morphine or SQ injections of buprenorphine or hydromorphine and then to an NSAID and oral tramadol.  If you do decide on amputation I would definitely recommend a workup prior to check for metastasis as it is very common that these tumors metastasize early.  As to time, it is very difficult to say.  It can range anywhere from months to a year perhaps or more possibly.

If you decide not to amputate and do nothing I think that is okay too.  You are the best judge of your dog's health and ability to function with the amputation.   Again, you want to make sure that your vet goes with very aggressive pain management such as Fentanyl patches, oral morphine or both along with possibly an NSAID as needed.  Then you need to closely monitor for any changes in behavior, appetite, ability to ambulate, go to the bathroom, etc. as these are all indicators of progression and pain.  If your vet isn't familiar with aggressive pain management or isn't willing to go there then I would definitely consider a 2nd opinion or 3rd opinion with someone who is.  I'm not famliar with what is available in your neck of the woods but there should be something that can be done.   There are even hospice vets now that travel to your home to help with pain control so that the pet remains comfortable and then can even provide euthanasia in the home environment which is often easier on the pet and the family.   So, you may want to research this too.

If at any time you decide to euthanize that is okay too.  Only you know what constitutes quality of life for your baby which is why it can be so hard for a vet to recommend it.  Just don't feel pressured to do it right away.  Take your time to think about it and to come to peace with it.  It is never an easy decision but you will know when it is the right decision.  For me as a veterinarian, sometimes the decision for euthanasia is clear cut (the patient is definitely suffering) but in most cases it is not so clear cut which is why I try to help "guide" my clients in making the right decision at the right time.  I definitely think you have the time to make this decision.  So, don't feel pressured in any way and if you vet is pressuring you or making you feel guilty then perhaps you again need to go elsewhere.  I am saying this however with the assumption that your girl is somewhat comfortable and not suffering in anyway.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  Again, I am so sorry you are having to deal with this.  Even as a veterinarian I suffer terribly when I am having to face this decision with one of my pets as well as with my clients.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do.  You are welcome to PM me at anytime.

I hope you don't mind that I put this all out there publically.  I was thinking that perhaps there may be someone else that may be helped or benefit from this discussion.

Hugs to you and your girl,

Cat 

Original Diagnosis: 3/08/2005 Stage IIb IDC, ER+, PR-, HER2-, 3/11 nodes positive; Recurrence 10/22/2009 extensive bone mets; 11/20/2010 diffuse liver mets; 1/2013: grade 4 liver cirrhosis, portal hypertension and esophageal varicies Chemotherapy 4/5/2005 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 10/4/2005 Mastectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary, Left Hormonal Therapy 9/23/2009 Dx 10/22/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 3/11 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2010 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2010 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 5/15/2010 Avastin (bevacizumab) Chemotherapy 5/20/2010 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 3/22/2011 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 7/1/2012 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 2/13/2013 Halaven (eribulin) Chemotherapy 12/6/2013 Gemzar (gemcitabine) Radiation Therapy 1/2/2014 Brain

Feb 27, 2012 03:16PM eag1954 wrote:

Michelle, I'm dealing with the same thing with my 9 year old Shih-Tzu.  He had a transfusion last summer and has a huge tumor in his his belly.  His gums everything have turned white so I know the anemia is back.  He's lethargic won't eat, etc.  This is the hardest thing for me.  This dog has been my companion from stage II and on to stage iv.  As much as I love him and dont want him to suffer, I dont want to let him go.  I know I have to...but its just so hard.  I've been crying all day, cant eat, anxious.  Cancer affects our lives in so many ways and I hate it with a passion.  The best revenge I can think of would be a cure...

Elizabeth Dx 4/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, 3/14 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/25/2011 Halaven (eribulin)

Feb 27, 2012 03:32PM dlb823 wrote:

Michelle, I'm so sorry about your dog.  We went through the same thing with a 14-year old Lhasa-Poo we'd had since he was a little furball puppy.  Eventually, he got to the point where he was very sick and couldn't walk without seriously staggering, so there was absolutely no doubt about the need to let him go.  It doesn't sound like your dog is at the point yet.  In spite of what your vet says, I think you'd know if she was in real pain, and it doesn't sound like she is.  Hopefully you will have some more time to enjoy her and love her without feeling guilty.    (((Hugs)))   Deanna 

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, , 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, , Stage IV

Feb 27, 2012 04:08PM ibcmets wrote:

I'm a dog lover as well.  It's very sad to hear about letting go of a beloved pet.  As others stated, I feel you will know when your dog is in a lot of pain, you can see it in their eyes and know when they stop eating, running around & wagging their tails.  Just try to make sure you do not prolong their suffering to keep them here.  A neighbor of mine was heartsick recently to put her dog down.  The dog could not walk the stairs anymore to their apt. 

On a lighter note, my little papion mix (Lucky) is a very spoiled girl.  She got a bee sting while walking,so my son & I wrapped one of those elastic arm bands I get from chemo treatments around her front paw.  We babied her and she walked around limping for a couple of days.  I think she was milking the attention as the next day she was chasing after other dogs like there was no problem.  Unless she's injured, she won't let us touch her paws.

Terri

6/2009: ibc,stage IV bone mets, ER/PR+, Her2-1/2011: BMX/Recon, Femara & Zometa;10/13 Aromasin/Afinitor, 6/2015 Xgeva & Faslodex, liver mets added

Feb 27, 2012 08:07PM CoolBreeze wrote:

Cat, that is a very nice post, thank you for sharing your expertise.

My dog, a greyhound, got pancreatic cancer.  He was down to skin and bones, in the 50 pound range and the vet said he was suffering. He would never have recovered so we let him go.  My cat had cancer in her head and her eye started popping out, that's how we discovered it.  Animals are great at hiding things.    It was awful because both those animals were MY animals as opposed to family pets and the cat slept on me every night.  

But I couldn't let them suffer, just as I am going to tell hospice not to let me suffer when my time comes.  I have put in my advanced directive that I want adequate pain control even if it hastens my death.

That isn't to say you should euthanize your dog, Michelle.  I had a blind cat once - you'd think that would be tough on a cat but she would walk fences, chase birds - you'd never guess she couldn't see.  (Now all my cats are indoor but back then you didn't do that.)  And, I once had a dog with one leg who did just fine.  Attracted a lot of attention!  He was younger...as was I.

So, you never know.  Whatever you decide will be the right thing.  I think, for me with every animal I've had to euthanize, a little voice whispered "now" and I knew it was time.  You will get that too and know when it's right.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.   

Ann's cancer blog: www.butdoctorihatepink.com .....multicentric/multifocal IDC/ILC+DCIS/LCIS/ADH Official dx? "Your breast was a mess." ~UniMastectomy/Chemo/Herceptin/Tamoxifen/Recon Almost Done! Oh wait. mets to liver 5/21/11 Now Stage IV Dx 8/17/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Feb 27, 2012 08:44PM Chickadee wrote:

I have 3 wonderful Pugs. Peanut is 14 and we know time is short. Spike, a rescue has a tumor on his paw that worries us. He may be 10 or 11. My baby Snickers is only 6 and is miserable when I'm away and it breaks my heart that some day I will leave him forever. The Rainbow Bridge poem is comforting.

The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend
By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

When I go I don't want to be an Angel, I want to cross the Rainbow Bridge and find all my furry friends of old and wait for my puggies.

I'm in such bad shape, I'm wearing prescription underwear." Phyllis Diller 1917-2012 Dx 9/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2012 11:44PM steelrose wrote:

A lot of animal lovers here, me included! I had a sweet 16 year old cat that I had to put to sleep just before I was diagnosed. It's never easy to let go, but she was suffering and I knew it was time. I think you will know too, Michelle. I'm sorry you are facing this on top of everything else. We are all so lucky to have our furry friends...

xoxo

Rose.

Dx 1/22/2010, IDC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2012 11:48PM Spinnerpom wrote:

What a wonderful group of women you are.  

Hugs, Michelle. You'll know the right decision when you make it. I'm sorry you have to go through this now.

Sara Dx 11/15/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2012 11:49PM lovemyfamilysomuch wrote:

Michelle, I am so sorry for what you are going through.  We just had to put our beautiful, loving, sweet golden retriever Abbey down on Saturday.  She had cancer all over her body and was having trouble getting up and sitting down and eating.  Our hearts are hurting, we held her and told her how much she meant to us.  I will send good thoughts your way.  Please take care of yourself! xo

Dx 10/14/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 28, 2012 12:27AM writerchick wrote:

Michelle, I have had too many pets with cancer, but one that might interest you. My cat started limping and it turned out he had a cyst on his leg. I agonized over this, but I had the leg amputated. The vets all said a dog or cat can do fine on three legs. I brought him home the day after the surgery and was told to keep him in a small cage for a few days. He was having none of that. I opened the door, he leaped over me and took off RUNNING down the hall. That was four years ago. Today he still jumps wherever he wants, runs, the whole thing. And he's happy. I was told by the vet med college that when the leg was removed, the cancer was removed and he needed no chemo or anything else. You might want to ask your vet about amputating the leg and if it would get it all. I can guarantee you that I was stunned to learn that cats and dogs can do just fine with three legs.

Dx 12/2008, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, HER2+

Feb 28, 2012 01:40AM 3littlegirls wrote:

Thank you guys so much for sharing your stories.  I absolutely love that poem Chickadee.  And thank you CMHartley for all that info.  I will keep her on the morphine and take it day to day.  She has better days then others but her good days are still pretty good.  

You guys are all wonderful!

Hugs!

Michelle 

Michelle Dx 4/19/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 5/18 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 28, 2012 02:20AM Groovywilma wrote:

Sorry to hear about your dog.  So sad!  Dogs and all pets are so special and give so much!  I'm sorry you have to go through this, in addition to everything else. 

Dx 1/3/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 9, 2012 10:59PM Denise2730 wrote:

Well, Chula definitely has cancer. Ameloblastoma. The doc can remove most of her lower jaw but I'm not putting her through that. He couldn't tell me how long she has. Right now she's doing okay and when it's her turn she can run toward my husband across the Rainbow Bridge where I'm sure he will be thrilled to see her.

Effin Cancer - I HATE IT.

DMX 8/11/11 - TE's put in. Exchange date was December 16th. Hate them and had them redone by a different PS in June, 2012. They look so much better. Still waiting for nips & areolas. Dx 4/29/2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+, HER2-

Page 1 of 2 (43 results)