Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How Many Stage 4 Girls are getting SS disability..

Shepgirl
Shepgirl Member Posts: 28
Seems like a lot of stage 4 US citizens are getting Social Security Disability Insurance payments. So lets see how many there are! If you were denied, please comment if it was for medical issues. My understanding is denials are more "not paid in enough" issues than medical.

PLEASE TAKE POLL ONCE ONLY!

Comments

• Shepgirl
    edited September 2006
  • Mena
    Mena Member Posts: 263
    edited September 2006
    FYI, anyone dx'd Stage IV automatically qualifies for SSD (Social Security Disability). The number to call is 1-800-772-1213. Of course, you will have had to work some time during your life to claim these benefits, as far as I know.

Also, it doesn't mean you have to stop working! You can earn up to $880 a month and still get your full, yes FULL, benefit amount. This is Federal law.

All us Stage IV's know that some days are great and some just plain suck...some days we feel invincible and some days we want to sleep all day...this is why SSD helps. We can still work! And we can rest when we need to...

You can even apply online at socialsecurity.gov. Please let your onc know what you are doing, and they'd better cooperate! (or have me to contend with ahahahah)...

Everyone's benefit amount differs, depending on the incomes they've had during their lifetime...

I wish you all the best...love, Mena...xo
  • Shepgirl
    edited September 2006
    Thanks Mena- this is consistent with what I have learned. And yes, you can work "alittle" (under $880 a month).

BTW- the process for stage 4 people can be expediated to 30-60 days. Most other folks have to wait 6 months.
  • lv2cmp
    lv2cmp Member Posts: 899
    edited September 2006

ok fill me in on how you work and still draw ssd. I work full time and was just diagnosed with mets in August. Amy

• AmryAnn47
    AmryAnn47 Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2006
    Hi all!
    Thanks for the poll--it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Last April I realized that I wasn't going to be able to resume my Business Services business (bookkeeping, billing, inventory, etc., for small businesses which are too big for just the owner to handle it all but too small to be able to afford a full time bookkeeper)and just retained 1 client which keeps me under the $880 per month. I applied and got all the back SSD from Feb about 45 days later, and a regular check each month based on my previous income since.
    It also means that I will be eligible for Medicare in Feb 2007 which is a good thing since my health insurance premiums have just increased to $870 a month with a $2000 deductible. I will be 59 on the 26th and I must admit that I have some fear that my care won't be as good under Medicare as it has been with the private insurance which has approved all the scans & tests with no questions (but doesn't cover the LE therapy & stuff very well).
    In Tx, we qualify for the A Medigap insurance supplemental which isn't great, but better than nothing. Availability of Medigap Insurance varies from State to State so check into it. I don't know if I will qualify for the part D drug coverage either but will continue to research that part before Feb since I have fair drug coverage with my insurance now.
    The SS people were very kind & helpful and easy to work with.
    Good luck with your applications.
  • CTG
    CTG Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2006
    Thanks for doing this poll. I know this is a bit off the subject of SS.
    On the subject of disability;
    This is worth checking into if you are a homeowner.
    In some communities if you are disabled, you may qualify for a
    ‘Disability Exemption’ on your Property Taxes. This may be a small deduction on your property tax bill, every little bit helps.
    Just check with your county or city property tax office for the requirements.
  • LuAnnH
    LuAnnH Member Posts: 348
    edited September 2006
    I am a fortuante one, I work full time and am salary. I make a decent pay and my boss knows on my bad weeks I may only put in 15 hours and my good weeks 60 hours. I am able to manage my work and get it done timely and can do most of it from home. As long as I can continue to produce this way I can maintain a full time job with my benefits. I know I won't see much raise wise given my situation but working at my regular pay this way is alot better than SSD and I keep contributing to this pension so when I do finally draw off it my contributions may be enough to get enough to actually live on a month!

One question I have though, do those benefits cap out at a certain dollar amount or will you get a percentage based on your contributions?

LuAnn
  • Unknown
    edited September 2006
    Thanks for the information.
  • Roza
    Roza Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2006
    I can go to disabilities and in six months I can have my SS disabilities, and the long term disabilities ins. company will pay the difference between SSD and 60% of my paycheck till I am 65 years old.
    I never saw somebody mention this here. Don't believe that this is only on MA.
    Hugs-
    Roza
  • Betsey
    Betsey Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2006
    I have been getting SSDI since November 2004. I was able to do the entire application process on line, signed and returned some paperwork and was approved within 3 weeks. Like Roza said, I get SSDI and the balance of 60% of my pay from LTD. I don't think this has anything to do with the state, but is based on terms of your disability policy. It has been a blessing for me. On my good days I work on my art projects, volunteer and generally stay busy. On the bad days I curl up, read or sleep.

Joanie
  • Shepgirl
    edited September 2006
    Interesting on the partial work and SS stuff. I can't edit polls, once active, BUT I would just select the YES option since you are getting a portion. I would also guess the work related insurance has shorter time durations. i.e. once you get SS - you on it unless you can go back to work! I know my hubby LTD plan has limits.

Also I just learn if you have minor children they may also be qualify for SS disabilty - if mom does! AND if you die and the kids get disabilty its "easier" on your family to convert that to surviver benefits.

As you can see........... I'm doing my homework!
  • MIdb
    MIdb Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2006

I didn't vote, because it is my wife who is stage 4. The process was a breeze for her. Only one thing though. She was diagnosed in June '05. We applied and hoped it would be retro to '03. However, they claimed she became disabled in Jan '05, because that is when her back started bothering her, and she started treatment for her back.

• Shepgirl
    edited September 2006
    You can vote for your wife as long as she does not vote too!

Thanks for the retro thing! I too might have a problem with this!
  • KariLynn
    KariLynn Member Posts: 41
    edited September 2006
    Kathy - getting mine was a breeze and I didn't claim any problems other than the obvious stage iv. I'm still a little shocked that I qualify (in denial land, there's no reason I would qualify...)

My kids get $202 a month each. Between their checks and mine it's about 1800 pre tax which is less than I could earn in the real world but allows me to take better care of myself.

I tell DH I'm waiting for the day they tell me what I have isn't terminal and get your butt to work - I'll do a happy dance that day!!!
  • kimmytoo
    kimmytoo Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2006
    I'm getting mine, and my kids get about $200 each also. It's way, way, way below what I earned, but I'm young and don't have quite the earnings history that I would have had if I hadn't gotten this crap.

I have a few decent days, but mainly blah ones -- fewer really bad ones since I quit my job, though.
  • gretchv
    gretchv Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2006
    Shep
    I recently checked into this because I wanted to scale back to part-time work, but was denied because I make too much money (more than $860/month, as I work full-time to support myself, no spouse). And I haven't felt bad enough yet to "have to" work less, so the catch is, you need to be not working or minimally working in order to qualify.
    So I decided to just keep on with my full-time income (which is more than SSDI + $860/month) for now. I can't really afford to quit yet!
    Thanks for the discussion-
  • PaulaBeth
    PaulaBeth Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2006

Remember that your earnings don't count against you for SSDI if you work in a business owned by you and your family.

• Shepgirl
    edited September 2006
    Paula- SS told me, my earnings did. And I'm the owner and sole employee of my own DBA filed business. I will ask again? Do you have any information link on that topic?

Interesting - what you learn here! thanks again
  • PaulaBeth
    PaulaBeth Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2006

When I applied the young man who took my application said he didn't think it would count against me because if I hadn't gotten paid it would have come to me as profit anyway. Sure enough, it was approved, even though my salary was too much for their guidelines. They counted my disability as starting the month I had to hire help for the bookkeeping (my job in the company,) which was before I was Stage 4, but since they only pay 12 months prior to application, that was my official date of disability. Your not having had to hire help for your business may affect their decision for your application.

• catgirl
    catgirl Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2006

I applied at the beginning of Aug but haven't heard back yet. I hope I hear something soon. I am only working about 16-20 hrs a wk and my savings acct is just about depleted. I am single w/2 grown kids in college and this is quite a strain on my budget. I am fortunate that my employer allows me to work part-time and still keep my health ins. This will not last forever, though. They are in the process of looking for someone full time to replace me. What will I do for health insurance then? I cannot afford the $420/month for Cobra ($800 if I keep my daughter on my plan). I can't believe you have to wait 2 yrs for Medicare...what do they expect us do...we need our health insurance!

• LuAnnH
    LuAnnH Member Posts: 348
    edited September 2006

If your daughter is in college they usually offer an affordable option for the kids who don't have health insurance. I would check into that.

• donnabres
    donnabres Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2006
    I have decided to keep working as long as I can. It gives me something to keep my mind busy. I am not one of those women who would stay home, and cook, and clean. For me, I am afraid that I would wallow in self pity.
    As long as I am physically, mentally, and emotionally able to work, I will continue.

It is good to know that when and if the time comes, I would not have trouble getting on disability. I am not covered through my job, so I would only qualify for SSDI.

I think that we all have to do what is right for us. Maybe if I could afford to travel the way I would like to, I would use that instead of working to keep me busy. maybe I'll hit the lottery!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH, RIGHT.

Donna
  • Roza
    Roza Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2006
    Donna, I think the same:).
    Just I need to begin playing the lottery, the rest will be easy:).
    Hugs-
    Roza
  • Betsey
    Betsey Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2006
    If you can still work, I think that's great. The sad thing is that some of us do not have the energy to work on a consistant basis. I wish I could, but between widespread bone mets and the effects of my meds I simply can't do it. My goal is to be well enough to work part time, as it stands right now I've had to take a leave of absence from my volunteer work while I adjust to Xeloda (and pray it works). I'm really not "one of those women who stay home and cook and clean". I worked all the while my son was growing up and wish I could have been home with him more. Seems to me that many of the women on this board, especially those with small children, have made the choice to go on SSDI to have time with family and take better care of themselves. I've been forced by bc to make this change and I'm trying to make the best of it.
    Joanie
  • catgirl
    edited September 2006

Well, I got all excited when I saw a big envelope from SSA today. I was hoping it was an approval letter but it was a packet of questionaires for me to fill out. It took me over 2hrs to answer all of the questions. I thought that if you are dx stage IV that it was automatic aproval for disability! I don't understand what is taking so long and why they needed to ask me all the additional questions.

• shelliks
    shelliks Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2006
    I just started the application process. My long term disability carrier is paying my claim (thank God) and they require me to apply for SS. I spent about an hour online with the initial application and will spend some more time tomorrow with the health portion.

I've been in the insurance business for 16 years, working for the same brokerage. Got married and had 3 children but kept working there because I love it. Life was a lot more fun and interesting when I was a working mother but I sure am learning about being a stay at home mother and those of you that have always done it, it's a big job. But it's the most rewarding job I've ever had. My illness is a day-to-day job also. Some days are perfectly fine, others suck. Today was great. Praying for a great Tuesday too!

Shelli K. S.
    Vice President of Beautiful Children/Great Husband
  • roseg
    roseg Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2006

bumping up. hope it's helpful.

• Shepgirl
    edited October 2006

bump again......... this one important for stage 4 people- it gives you options you might not think you had!!!!

• catgirl
    edited October 2006
    Still waiting to hear from SS. I applied at the beginning of Aug. Thought it wouldn't take so long being dxd with terminal disease.
    Damn if I were a single pregnant mom they would be giving me the world, though!
    I am only trying to get what I paid into here not asking for a handout!
    Sorry for the ranting....bills are piling up and cancer is spreading!
  • JeanOneal
    JeanOneal Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2006

QUESTION. I AM ALREADY ON SMALL AMOUNT SOCIAL SECURITY (AGE 65). WOULD I STILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR SSD? DOES ANYBODY KNOW/ THANKS. JEAN