Join Us

We are 220,346 members in 84 forums discussing 161,892 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Xeloda, more questions

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: May 30, 2007 01:23PM

Kasey wrote:

Since my last chemo didn't work I have been given the choice of three different chemos. I am leaning towards xeloda/tykerb, it seems that a lot of women have had a lot of success with xeloda. I know fatigue and diarrhea are major side effects but what about nausea? I had a lot of nausea with my last chemo and would really like to get away from that if I could. Also, what about hair loss? Thanks for any info!

Kasey
Mets in liver, lungs, bones and chest nodes. Dx 2/25/2007, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (17 results)

Posts 1 - 17 (17 total)

May 30, 2007 01:38PM sedgymum wrote:

Kasey,

I have been taking 3000mg of Xeloda on a 2 week on, one week off cycle. I do suffer some fatigue and occasionally very mild nausea. It is a very doable chemo.

Cheers Kelly

May 30, 2007 01:42PM volleygirl65 wrote:

Kasey,

I had 2000mg of Xeloda, two weeks on one week off and I had a little fatigue but nothing else. No nauseau, hair loss, hand foot syndrome or anything. I liked that regimen!

May 30, 2007 04:25PM Fllorik wrote:

I am on one week on and one week off, etc. It has helped me to curb my fatigue and foot problems. I was told any combo is okay as long as it works! Good luck!!

May 30, 2007 09:36PM katie11 wrote:

Hi Kasey,

I've been doing xeloda in combination with taxotere for the last 7 months and have 3000mg a day -two weeks on and one week off. Apart from some fatigue, there have been no significant side effects and it has helped reduce and resolve my bone and liver mets significantly.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 31, 2007 06:42AM Helen1 wrote:

Kasey
I start my 7th cycle of xeloda this Saturday. My CA 27-29 has dropped from 734 to 181. I have to take nexium because xeloda kicks up an acid reflux, but I don't have any nausea. I have a moderate case of hand/foot near the end of each cycle, but it eases on the off week. My hair (after being bald 4 different times in the past 2.5 years) is now touching my shoulders and seems to be thicker. Xeloda does not seem to affect your hair. There are lots of ladies on this board that have excellent results w/ xeloda and you will too.
A mouse eats an elephant a bite at a time (I think I may need a bigger mouse)

May 31, 2007 08:29AM CTG wrote:

Kasey
I have done Xeloda Tykerb for a few months now. I have had good response on my scans and tumor markers. I have had my Xeloda dose reduced due to side effects of diarrhea. I now take Xeloda on a schedule of one week on one week off. I take my Tykerb before I go to sleep, this seems to help avoid side effects as well. I have found I have so much more energy now. I do not have nausea on these drugs.

The side effects are manageable both Tykerb and Xeloda can give you diarrhea. With some good preventive measures you can avoid diarrhea. I have learned that taking Imodium daily and eating a diet that is catered to these drugs helps. Ask you doctor for a diet that helps you bulk up. I have had minor foot syndrome but that seems to have resolved now.
I wish you the best.

Hugs,
CTG
dx fall05 stage4 liver and bone mets
dx fall06 brain mets / spring07 brain mets gone

May 31, 2007 09:00AM Maya1 wrote:

Kasey,
I was on Xeloda for 4 cycles until my liver tumours became stable again. I agree that it is a very doable chemo. No problems with blood counts, nausea or fatigue, just some mild hand/foot and a metallic taste to some foods. You also shouldn't lose your hair.
Good luck with your treatment.
Pray to God but row for shore..... Russian proverb Dx 6/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 8, 2007 06:02AM mrsjck wrote:

Been on Xeloda for 4 months at 2000mg day; 2 weeks on; 1 week off. Working well to lower tumor markers...have little if any side effects...maybe some mild tummy discomfort but no diarrhea, no hand/foot, no hair loss. Doc questioned raising the dose for more effectiveness but I insisted on remaining on this tolerable dose. Have great hopes for a long future. God bless you in your walk.

This too shall pass

Jun 8, 2007 09:40AM SLICKY wrote:

Im about to do my 3rd cycle of xeloda, 4600mgs a day 2wks on 1 wk off,1st cycle i did feel a bit iffy, but 2nd cycle i have been fine apart from tiredness am hoping this will continue,also started herceptin on my 2nd cycle

Jun 8, 2007 12:11PM joanne1428 wrote:

Xeloda causes me only occasional and slight nausea once in awhile.... definitely not a problem like some chemos.... I do find that the fatigue accumulates, and am trying to settle down a case of hand-foot syndrome, but otherwise, Xeloda is very doable......

My hopes are not always realized but I always hope - Ovid Dx 4/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/33 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jun 8, 2007 05:30PM Kasey wrote:

Thanks for all of the info! I guess I am going to start Xeloda and Tykerb next week. Does anyone have to take anti-nausea medicines?
Thanks again.
Hugs,
Kasey
Mets in liver, lungs, bones and chest nodes. Dx 2/25/2007, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jun 9, 2007 04:54PM CTG wrote:

Kasey
I have been on Tykerb Xeloda since March. I have not needed to use the anti nausea drugs at all.

I think it will depend on your dose level of Xeloda. If the dose is high you may suffer side effects of gas pain in the stomach or diarrhea. I had my dose lowered and all the major side effects have ceased.

Hugs and Good Luck to you!
CTG
dx fall05 stage4 liver and bone mets
dx fall06 brain mets / spring07 brain mets gone

Jun 10, 2007 06:12PM Fllorik wrote:

I don't have to use anti nausea med. with zeloda. But if you do, please have the onc. prescribe you one. There are many to choose from and they are all good.
I'm cheering for you! I know you will do well on Xeloda.

Jun 18, 2007 11:16AM AliceJean wrote:

Has anyone tried DMSO or tea tree oil for hand/foot syndrome?

Don't sing of Yesterday, Yesterday is gone; Tomorrow isn't written, Make Today your song.

Jun 18, 2007 02:03PM Helen1 wrote:

DMSO is a vetinary medicine. It will cause anything you mix it with to be absorbed through the skin. It can be dangerous if misused. It is primarily used as a catalyst for horse linament.

A mouse eats an elephant a bite at a time (I think I may need a bigger mouse)

Jun 19, 2007 09:35AM AliceJean wrote:

Great. Why do the "health food" or supplement sites advertise it???

Don't sing of Yesterday, Yesterday is gone; Tomorrow isn't written, Make Today your song.

Jul 5, 2007 11:42AM Kasey wrote:

bumping for bluesky9

Page 1 of 1 (17 results)