We are 196,647 members in 81 forums discussing 144,826 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Cancer Center Rankings

Topic: Cancer Center Rankings

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Jun 22, 2007 08:25AM

Shepgirl wrote:

Someone asked me for this again.......... here is the link

I listed the top ten .

1. Memorial Sloan - Kettering Cancer Center, New York

2. University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston

3. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

4. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.

5. Dana - Farber Cancer Institute, Boston

6. University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle

7. Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.

8. University of Chicago Hospitals

9. UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles

10. University of California, San Francisco Medical Center

http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-hospitals/rankings/specihqcanc.htm
Dx 12/23/2004, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 2/22 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Jun 22, 2007 08:05PM ming wrote:

thanks for posting this info and link

Ming - my grandmother name Dx 10/17/2005, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 18, 2007 04:26PM Shepgirl wrote:

bump -

Jul 18, 2007 07:56PM JerseyGemini wrote:

FYI...they just came out with brand new ranking around two days ago. I've seen it posted somewhere else so I'll try to find it and re-post here. Nothing groundbreaking as i remember....though MD Anderson is now #1 and Sloan Kettering is #2.

teresa

Jul 18, 2007 08:09PM JerseyGemini wrote:

Here are the top 50...funny, we have a NCI certified cancer in NJ (only one of 38 NCI-certified centers in the country) and it's not in the top 50 according to this...always interesting.

The link to the new article (July 14) is:

http://health.usnews.com/sections/health/best-hospitals

Best Hospitals 2007 Specialty: Cancer

Rank Score Reputation

1. University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
100.0 67.9%
2. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York 96.3 65.9%
3. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore 73.2 37.8%
4. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. 61.5 26.0%
5. Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston 54.4 33.1%
6. University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle 42.9 15.8%
7. University of Chicago Medical Center 39.5 6.1%
8. UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles 39.3 8.4%
9. Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C. 38.9 7.3%
10. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 36.7 10.4%
11. Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia 36.3 7.2%
12. University of Pittsburgh Medical Center 36.2 4.9%
13. Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, Calif. 36.1 11.6%
14. University of California, San Francisco Medical Center 35.8 11.8%
15. Ohio State Unversity James Cancer Hospital, Columbus 35.4 3.7%
16. H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa 34.6 4.5%
17. Cleveland Clinic 34.1 7.2%
18. University of Alabama Hospital at Birmingham 33.6 3.0%
19. Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis 33.4 2.4%
20. University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison 32.7 1.3%
21. University of Michigan Hospitals & Health Centers, Ann Arbor 32.5
2.8%
22. Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville 31.8 5.0%
23. Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Conn. 30.8 0.0%
24. University of Minnesota Medical Center, Minneapolis 29.5 0.8%
25. University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland 29.2 0.8%
26. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston 29.2 1.0%
27. University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottesville 29.2 0.5%
28. Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston 28.8 1.2%
29. Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 28.6 6.6%
30. City of Hope, Duarte, Calif. 28.4 5.6%
31. University Medical Center, Tucson, Ariz. 28.3 0.8%
32. University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics, Salt Lake City 28.3 0.0%
33. Rush University Medical Center, Chicago 27.7 0.0%
34. Mayo Clinic Hospital, Phoenix 27.6 0.5%
35. University of Colorado Hospital, Denver 27.5 1.1%
36. Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, N.H. 27.4 0.2%
37. Oregon Health and Science University Hospital, Portland 26.5 0.8%
38. William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Mich. 26.3 0.7%
39. University of California, San Diego Medical Center 26.2 0.0%
40. University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill 26.1 0.6%
41. New York-Presbyterian Univ. Hosp. of Columbia and Cornell 25.9 3.3%
42. Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Evanston, Ill. 25.8 0.6%
43. Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis 25.8 0.0%
44. Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Ill. 25.8 0.0%
45. Sarasota Memorial Health Care System, Fla. 25.6 0.0%
46. University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital, Lexington 25.6 0.3%
47. Methodist Hospital, Houston 25.4 0.5%
48. Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, Pa. 25.3 0.0%
49. Lancaster General Hospital, Lancaster, Pa. 25.3 0.0%
50. Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, Va. 25.1 0.9%

Aug 1, 2007 11:25AM RoxanneNJ31 wrote:

jersey where is Hackensack, we didn't even rank that is funny. I wonder how they gather this information. How are you feeling jersey by the way.

I am on 6 of 18 abraxane/advastin treatments and so far still have my hair. Maybe all the praying is working I have to start praying for other things.

god bless all my sisters in their fight against a terrible war. We all deserve the metal of honor as we are the soliders on the frontline of a terrible struggle
Dx 6/5/2007, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 2/30 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 1, 2007 12:52PM JerseyGemini wrote:

Hi Roxanne -- I don't go to Hackensack...I go to St. Barnabas in Livingston. No NJ hospitals ranked, even Cancer Institute of NJ which is NCI certified. There are only 38 cancer centers certified in the country and they aren't all in the top 50? I don't get it....I don't put a ton of stock in the rankings. I went to Sloan for second opinions and wasn't that impressed...my onc. in livingston was Ivy League educated the whole way through, fellowed and worked at Sloan and only does breast cancer...so i feel pretty good about him.

I'm feeling okay. I had my fourth Zometa today and it took three tries to get the IV and the blood...so annoying. I went to an integrative oncologist in NYC yesterday who is sending me for bloodwork to test all different stuff like copper, DHEA, vitamin D, etc. Then he tells you what supplements to take and what diet is best for you. He also told me about a couple of vaccines that they do internationally that sound cool but cost like 25-30 thousand dollars...he should've kept that info to himself..haha.

I get my three month scans at the end of this month and if the Femara is working, I'm frying my single met..I want it gone even if they don't think it's necessary.

Congrats on the keeping of the hair! That is great! I heard there is a company that makes "cold caps" that also help..you wear them while you get the chemo and they stop hair loss.

I'm very active in the Northern New Jersey Young Survival Coalition...PM me if you are interested. we have survivor social events every quarter.

Teresa

Aug 1, 2007 07:50PM KariLynn wrote:

I go to #1 and they're ticking me off. Getting my results sent here is like pulling teeth and they keep dumping stuff on my local onc they should do (IMO) such as argue with ins for the treatment they are suggesting.

I am going to switch to #19. Will cut about 6.5 hours each way off they drive and I've heard good things from family who goes there.
If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? Dx 6/2/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, 14/25 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 2, 2007 06:50AM lv2cmp wrote:

I go to #18. I also went to MD Anderson and Sloan for opinions when I got mets. I was not impressed with MD Anderson but I did like Sloan.

Amy
'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain.' Dx 2004, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 1/11 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 27, 2007 06:20AM Shepgirl wrote:

bump

Aug 27, 2007 05:20PM jan125 wrote:

Mine did a fellowships at Sloan and ran the Breast Clinic at MD Anderson. I think the FL location.
He is now at St. Francis in CT (Dr. Rahman).

Jan
Dx 5/20/2006, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 28, 2007 08:22PM EnergizerBunny wrote:

Anybody ever checked out the Cancer Treatment Centers of America? Please let me know! Thank you

EnergizerBunny

Aug 29, 2007 01:17PM FloridaLady wrote:

(Sorry for my typing �very bad neuropathy)
I would like to know how many ladies have done Phase I or II drug trials. I would like to know your experiences good or bad. Here is my one disappointing but possibly not my last trial. (per my doc�s)

It was at MD Anderson Houston. (#2 in the world) starting in Jan 07. My local doc called with note that I have aggressive localized cancer. Took numerous phone calls and 3 months for an appt. My doc would not treat because it could limit me in trials. (You need to be off chemo�s so many days) Got to Houston and to see new doc. Gave me 15 minuites and offered me only one Phase I trial. Normally they give you at least two or more choices� you have to make choice yourself. And not all Phase I that only test toxicity. I had to make a choice that day. I was told I needed to stay in Houston 6 weeks?? (mostly for blood work? I think my local doc could handle that) They said that if I could tolerate the drug and stay in trial they would reimburse me for traveling expenses. ($8,000) This was the first lie of many. They told me do not tell your insurance co. that your doing trials. But if they don�t pay you are liable for the cost. (aroplatnium was free) (final cost 4 tx with no chemo $200,000. So far no questions from my insurance. (your scans are double the cost more than what they normally pay) I asked �Because they are a research hospital. EXCUSE ME..MY Insurance paid, they get grants and drug companies pays for trials. No one goes there for free. This is why most insurance co. don�t let you go there. This cost has only CT Scans, blood & office visit. You did not see your doc most visits �only �fellows�. (docs in training)

Well this was my only option. So I had CT Scans only. They would not do a PET. They asked numerous times what kind of cancer did I have?? They told me in the contract that I would have blood draws. Did not tell 28 in 8 hours. Total for 1st chemo 38 in two weeks. 2nd appt with doc�He did not know my name when he walked in the room. Got info than told me they did not see any cancer. Argued with me where it was than went and re-read scans. OK now on same page. Now I would need to wait 4 to 5 hours for the chemo to be mixed each trip. (monthly tx) Another lie...chemo was defrosted not mixed. They could do it that morning and if not used refreezed. Per my chemo nurse who always handle this trial. Who by the way told me to refuse all the blood draws if I could. They would not let me.

Ending was bad� cancer continued to spread, disabling neuropathy, high blood pressure & some hearing lost. I have taken 9 months of previous chemo�s (6 kinds) with very little side effects. Worst part I found out they gave me a large dose 250 mg verses 180mg. They knew was the tolerable level. This was approved 3 weeks later at the 180mg. So they knew what was way too much already. I later research online found Germany already did study and found it not a good drug. Five years ago! They have never followed up with me�I was a very healthy person with a little cancer�now I�m unhealthy person with less cancer because I convinced my local doc for my surgery.

Would I do it again??? Not without heavy thought and prayer. I did think of all you ladies and thought I might help you one day.

Lesson learned and to pass on.
Get everything in writing. You sign a contract that says �they might pay traveling expenses.� Ask for the facts in writing.
Research the drug. Other countries use these drugs before we start testing.
Your doc in Phase I trials may know nothing about your kind of cancer. (mine was a skin doc)
Bigger is not better. My local center they are like family. I felt like a slab of meat.
trip neg stageIV spread to IBC (2X) & 7 recur's, Treat Alt & Conv

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)