Join Us

We are 217,587 members in 84 forums discussing 160,642 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone familiar with ...

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Jun 23, 2007 11:19AM

pinkyreeny wrote:

Gemzar?

The Xeloda has stopped working!! Started on Feb 1, with a Tumer marker of 230. May 14 it was down to 65, this week it's jumped to 85!
my Onc said the cancer cells have developed a resistance to the Xeloda, and is recommending Gemzar as the next line of attack.

AAGGHHHH!!!!!!! Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (19 results)

Posts 1 - 19 (19 total)

Jun 23, 2007 11:30AM Fllorik wrote:

I am so sorry to hear your news. I was wondering what happens when it stops working. I have been on it for 14 cycles.

Jun 23, 2007 09:00PM Member_of_the_Club wrote:

Gemzar is now in clinical trials for early stage bc because it has been effective in advanced cases. I was in such a clinical trial but I was in the control arm so didn't get gemzar. I've heard it can be very effective, especially for liver mets.

Dx 9/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 24, 2007 01:24AM PaulaBeth wrote:

Gemzar worked really well for me for almost a year. It was very tolerable, just slight queasiness and bad taste the day after chemo.

Jun 24, 2007 03:45AM FloridaLady wrote:

I had Gemzar, Avastan & carboplatium last year. This was not a bad combo to take. I took this weekly for 4 months.

trip neg stageIV spread to IBC (2X) & 7 recur's, Treat Alt & Conv

Jun 24, 2007 04:52AM katie11 wrote:

So sorry to hear that xeloda has stopped working for you, but there are many other options available for you. I haven't used Gemzar myself, but have heard lots of good things about it and there are plenty of women on these boards who've had excellent results with this chemo and I am sure you will, too!

Thinking of you!

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 25, 2007 11:45PM badboob67 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about the Xeloda. I have not had Gemzar, but I seem to remember a post a while back about a lady here who had gone through something like 9 different chemos in rapid succession without good response. Hospice had already been called and they were focusing on pain control. Then, she tried navalbine and Gemzar and......voila! a good response!

I will keep you in my prayers that the Gemzar is the ticket for you. (((hugs)))
When you're down to nothing, GOD is up to something! bb67.wikispaces.com/ Dx 2/15/2006, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 24/27 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 18, 2007 09:11AM pinkyreeny wrote:

Hello folks,

Tomorrow is the day that I will start the Gemzar treatments. I am soooooo NOT looking forward to this. The unknown of a new thing, and the smell of the "Infusion Room" that is lodged in my memory from 4 years ago is really bothering me . . .

Jul 18, 2007 05:04PM mrsjck wrote:

Am on Xeloda (7 cycles) and my onc has already said she would recommend Gemzar as next course of treatment. Not looking forward to that...really like the ease of Xeloda and the mild side effects...but if it's needed...it will be Gemzar...of which I have heard lots of good reports. I hope you tolerate it well and it knocks those cells right out!

This too shall pass

Jul 18, 2007 07:21PM AusAla wrote:

I have not been on Gemzar, but I wanted to send you positive thoughts and prayers. I know what you mean about the 'smell of the infusion room'. I dreaded reliving those first time around memories when I had to go back into treatment. But I quickly fell into the routine of being back in there. You will too and you'll kick some cancer butt with your new treatments!
Bethie
P.S. I LOVE your picture! How beautiful!
"I don't want to be in a battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse! Pippin, Lord of the Ring: Return of the King Dx 5/13/2002, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 3/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 18, 2007 11:21PM LuAnnH wrote:

Sending you lots of positive thoughts on your tx. I think we all hate to venture back to that infusion room. I now get a blanket as I walk in and use it as my naptime. Although, the bendryl helps alot with that. Hope all goes well and this tx is easy to tolerate.

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 19, 2007 01:00AM justaly wrote:

I am doing Gemzar/Taxol combo week 1 and Gemzar only on week 2, Gemzar only is not bad at all, I feel a little woozy on day 1 but then not much at all after that, if my stomach gets a little upset the anzamet takes care of it.

dx @ 30 while 9 month pregnant, mets to the lung 22 months later Dx 7/26/2005, IDC, 4cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/28 nodes, mets, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Jul 19, 2007 04:01AM Denny123 wrote:

Pinky,
I went on Gemzar and Herceptin for extensive aggressive liver mets and after 9 months, or 14 treatments, my liver went into remission. I have now been in remission for 2 3/4 years and have been on Herceptin only.
Gemzar was so easy for me-a little nausea the evening of treatment (eating carbs afterward helped me-bread and baked potatoes), and I had a little thinning of my hair.
Gemzar was my miracle and I will pray that it will work for you as well as it did for me!
I understand the treatment room thing, but I will get Herceptin every 3 weeks for life, so it doesn't bother me anymore.
Dx 12/14/2002, IDC, Both breasts, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/other, Grade 3, 4/40 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 2/20/2003 Lymph node removal: Left, Right; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap Chemotherapy 3/31/2003 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Gemzar (gemcitabine), Taxotere (docetaxel), Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 10/10/2003 Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 1/30/2004 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 7/5/2011 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy

Jul 25, 2007 12:09AM pinkyreeny wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for all the info, prayers and good wishes!
I had some serious nausea and up-chucked a few times last week. BLECH!!
But now I have Zofran, so this week will be better.
I hope the Gemzarr will be my miracle and then I can stay out of that room forever!!

Jul 25, 2007 12:47AM slonedeb wrote:

hi i an on xeloda been on it for only a week for liver and bone mets suppose to start avastin thrusday hope your tx goes well does anyone know the sideeffects of avastin deb from ky

Dx 10/7/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2007 09:34AM pinkyreeny wrote:

Hi,
I think me and Gemzar are a bad combination. The evening of the first treatment, my sinuses went berzerko. And the sickness.
During the second treatment, my sinuses went berzerko!
The day before the third treatment I had a port put in. I had the Gemzar treatment as scheduled. I puked for 5 days. Had a terrible headache, just overall YucK!!!
The nurses seem surprised that I'm having suchh a hard time with it. One said that she thinks it "Is not agreeing with my system."
I'm really considering not taking anymore of the stuff. Gotta talk to the Dr, of course.

Aug 15, 2007 12:36AM pinkyreeny wrote:

The Cancer Center finally called about the Gemzar. The DR wanted me to read up about Abraxane. The side effects sound worse than Gemzar!

I'm thinking of giving the Gemzar another chance. After two of the three treatments, it did reduce the tumor marker by 8 points. That's a good thing.

Aug 15, 2007 09:38AM KEaster wrote:

Aren't Abraxane and Taxol the same drug? If so, I've been on Taxol for 10 months and have had great results and haven't experienced too many side effects.

My treatments are every week for 3 weeks and then I have the 4th week off. I have my treatment on Friday mornings and then go straight to the office and work the rest of the day.

I have experienced some numbness in my fingers and toes - but nothing serious - just annoying.

When I began Taxol, my tumor markers when down significantly in the first 4 months and then held firm around 70 for the last 6 months.

My latest bloodwork indicate that my liver funtion is a bit off and my tumor marker is up to 90 - so I'm going to switch to Gemzar this week.

Aug 16, 2007 06:56PM Helen1 wrote:

If they aren't the same, they are at least very similar. I took taxol every 3 weeks for 6 months and then was switched to taxotere same dose. I had very few side effects. Mostly just fatigue, some dehydration effect (may have been from the pre-infusion cortisone though)some stomach upset and some hair thinning and some mild neuropathy in my feet. I have been on xeloda now for 11 cycles, similar sideeffects but have added h/f

A mouse eats an elephant a bite at a time (I think I may need a bigger mouse)

Aug 16, 2007 08:30PM php01 wrote:

I always take my anti-nausea drug before I go get my Gemzar and taxotere, and 2nd week of Gemzar only, and while I may feel alittle floaty that first day, I haven't been sick yet---Ask your doc for anti-nausea something, there are several that could help with that. I am so hoping that this works for me too--one of my lung lesions has shrunk from 3 ct to 2 ct, so we are hoping they are all shrinking, and I am going in for my 3rd session next week. I am feeling much better thinking that it is working for me this time.

Page 1 of 1 (19 results)