Join Us

We are 220,444 members in 84 forums discussing 161,934 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Xeloda stpped Doc says Too weak-suggst Supplements

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jun 27, 2007 03:12PM

mehrotrasam wrote:

My mother underwent Xeloda for 3 months and then the ONC stopped it. He says she is too weak and it is not working.
She has some Bone mets now.She had lost half of her voice due to Branchial plexus involvement and has paralysed left hand due to Tumor in the axilla area...She is fatigued all the time..she can barely walk around the house.(Previously she had undergone 2 Round of Chemo Already and Rads)She had HER +++ cancer.
Doc says she need to rebuild to consider any kind of Chemo etc.
Please identify some Protein supplements etc for her....that can help her recover fast to be able to start any kind of treatment. I would appreciate all your help....
She is a vegetarian as well. Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jun 27, 2007 03:25PM Shepgirl wrote:

I would suggest a nutrionalist- most major cancer center have them! You need to get on to the "right" program quickly, Hoping they can assign and provide supplements to get her on track again.

Dx 12/23/2004, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 2/22 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jun 29, 2007 02:27AM cats_love_me wrote:

About food, you should ask your doc for a referral for a nutritionist, or dietician.

Ask the chemo nurse for a helpful cook book (I say nurse because my mom gets more useful info from her nurse who gives her chemo, than the doc. She has like 15+ years w/ giving chemo, super helpful, recommended a book tha my mom likes).
How is she with eating, is she very nautiated or lack of appetite going on?

If your just looking for high protein items.
There are a ton of protein bars. One I like are the peanut butter balance bars. I can't do chocolate, but have heard many other types taste better in chocolate. If you have reflux or gerd issues stay away from chocolate.
Try several kinds of protein, or meal replacement bars, they aren't all the same and taste different, some with horrible after tastes.

The kashi granola bars, have more protein than regular granola bars.
Read your labels, look look look, at them. Look for your protein, fiber.

If you have a trader joes, its a organic food store.
Hit the orgnic food stores, and check the labels out, they still have food that doesn't have much protein fiber in it, so be careful to buy the "good" food there.

Buying a whole grain, or flax bread at a organic food store, tastes way better than the whole grain loafs of cardboard I see in regular grocery stores.

Look for some good vitamins, suppliments, to make sure she is getting all the regular nutrition she is suppose to be getting, and find out from the doc or nurse which vit or min may be more helpful right now.

I bring lots of different things by my moms house to help her out. Some things she will eat other things she won't.
Its trial and error. I bring more of the things she eats.
Good Luck.

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)