Join Us

We are 220,346 members in 84 forums discussing 161,892 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Opinions/Suggestions Needed

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jun 27, 2007 08:29AM

AusAla wrote:

Well, my friends, NED and I have had slight falling out. I'm working desparately to repair our relationship (didn't work with ex - but determined to make it work with NED).

Discovered mets to ribs along with fracture. I have been wrapping my head around this news and I am doing much better than thought possible (with a lot of help from my friends-special thanks to you).

Question girls, when I previously had boney mets I had no symptoms. Having good amount of pain this time. (probably cause NED smacked and broke my rib during our TEMPORARY break up) Has anyone ever tried those icy-hot pad thingies? Any other ideas for localized pain? Any good home remedies? I am working very part-time and can't function on pain pills while driving, working, etc.

Yes, my arcane sense of humor gets me through a lot. Not making light of the seriousiness (sp?) of progression. Just trying to make it through another day.

Always thinking and praying for all of you,
Bethie
"I don't want to be in a battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse! Pippin, Lord of the Ring: Return of the King Dx 5/13/2002, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 3/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jun 27, 2007 08:45AM CTG wrote:

Bethie
I am sorry you are in pain. I have used meds like Darvon for my bone met pain in the past. I found my pain was to bad for the over the counter medications. I did try using a heating pad and that seemed to help a bit at night. But that was only temporary. I would suggest if the pain is bad to consult with you oncologist. There are pain management teams at cancer centers maybe he can refer you. Having a rib met is very difficult as your body is in constant motion. I know how awful it can be Hugs to you.
I hope your pain stops soon, you are in my prayers.

I wish you the best
CTG
dx fall05 stage4 liver and bone mets
dx fall06 brain mets / spring07 brain mets gone

Jun 27, 2007 11:43AM Fllorik wrote:

I am saddened to hear about your pain. Having bone mets in addition to broken ribs due to a fall, I can understand the pain you are in. I found percoset to be my drug of choice because I am able to function on it and not nod off. It'a low dose but strong enough to do its job. Keep your chin up! I'll be thinking of you!

Jun 28, 2007 02:58AM jacqniel wrote:

Bethie, I, too, have gotten relief from a heating pad. So far, I have been able to control my hip pain with the pad and arthritis tylenol, but will switch to something stronger if it gets much worse.
Prayers for relief from the pain and reconciliation with NED.

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)