Join Us

We are 220,346 members in 84 forums discussing 161,892 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: anyone had bone pain weeks AFTER chemo?

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jun 30, 2007 09:32AM

calex wrote:

Has anyone experienced bone pain weeks after chemo ended? I was dx Stage II 8/06; lumpectomy, axillary dissection & re-excision 9/06; dose-dense chemo (A/C then Taxol) 10/06-1/07; 7 weeks of radiation 2/07-3/07; started tamoxifen 4/07. Hip pains started about 4 weeks post-chemo (mid-Feb) - severe but short-lived pain on movement (eg standing up). Rad-onc said that was a typical post-chemo experience but I cannot find any info anywhere confirming that. 4 mos later, pain continues and has changed somewhat - less severe on motion, more common at night, eg when I sleep on my side; worse on left side than on right. Now also having severe lower back pain 2-4x/day, lasts 30-60 mins., akin to what I had years ago with fibroids, if anyone knows what that feels like. Med-onc said pain that was symmetrical and not 24/7 was not worrisome but I could get a bone scan just to set my mind at ease (annoying). Am scheduled for bone scan in 2 weeks but wondering if anyone else has had similar experience and how it turned out. Thanks!

C. Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jun 30, 2007 10:32AM Shepgirl wrote:

Not to scare you but 2 months after chemo, I experienced slight hip bone pain, I was told the same thing! We all exhibit pain in diff ways. Mine was just one day of not really severe pain and then fractured the femur/left hip next day just jumping off a tailgate. Okay now that was severe pain! DX with widespread bone mets (from bone scan) next day. Surprise! Suprise! guess the pre-chemo scans missed it!

Odds are in you favor this is not the case; BUT get the bone scan.
Dx 12/23/2004, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 2/22 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jun 30, 2007 10:56AM jonimb wrote:

I have bone pain, but I think mine is from the Tamoxifen. I also have stiffness in my joints...wrists and hips. I just had a bone scan in May, so I believe it's either the chemo finishing (end of April) or Tamoxifen.

Get a bone scan to rule out anything, but it could be the same as me.

My doctor has also prescribed Vitamin D & Calcium to take.

Joni, Chestermere, Alberta, Canada
Joni, Chestermere, AB, Canada, Today is the BEST day of my life EVER!! Dx 9/25/2006, IDC, 4cm, Grade 3, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)